Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlzvD7rm_E0

yeaahhh... I still haven't learned my lesson about releasing stuff before I double and triple check it. I made a lot more mistakes than I realized, this version corrects all of them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

It begins...

Just been noodling with the onboard samples to start with and it sounds pretty good at least to my ear, looking forward to trying running it through my effects chain and seeing about making some interesting patches on the virus to drive with it.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I've been doing one of these dumb little improv recordings every day or so for the last few days. I like how today's turned out.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/9-9-2023-synths-and-guitars

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
any good resources for learning to use reaper (or any DAW in general)? got inputs and everything set up, just looking for some tips on setting up a workflow for recording guitar and the user guide is just descriptions of every menu and modal dialog which doesn't really help when you're not sure what you're trying to do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

happy 909 month yall

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Plank Walker posted:

any good resources for learning to use reaper (or any DAW in general)? got inputs and everything set up, just looking for some tips on setting up a workflow for recording guitar and the user guide is just descriptions of every menu and modal dialog which doesn't really help when you're not sure what you're trying to do

are you using amp sim plugins inside reaper, or is the signal coming into the computer what you want to record? modern day a lot of folks record clean and then run that through an amp sim plugin on playback so they can play with the knobs

i dont know reaper but general process is usually just set input, arm track, record. it may have some repeat take / comping* settings like Bitwig that you could look up

*comping is where you record a loop or a solo six times, each time through it records a new track, and then you pick the bits and notes from each take that you want in the final

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Plank Walker posted:

A bit more about your recording change would be helpful :)
If you've got your ampsim set up as an insert effect on an audio channek only the dry (pure, uneffected) guitar signal is recorded so you can figure out a riff, get a good take, set loop points then play with tonez to your heart's content.

If you have an amp mic'd up then what you recorded is mostly what you get, but you can eq it or add effects after. In this scenario if you recorded something with heavy distortion and wanted to hear it clean, you'd need to rerecord it I'm afraid.

Rule of thumb for guitar eq is they are midrange instruments, more often than not you wanna sweep a high pass filter or shelving eq (ie cut all the low end) around under 100hz (ish) to cut out flub without losing weight, and around 500 hz is where boxiness resides, a broad gentle cut here can help with clarity. 4—8k is where fizz resides, narrow cuts (but not too extreme) can get rid of abrasive frequencies here.

Remember that everything exists to serve The Song and a great powerful guitar tone on it's own will likely sound like rear end from a butt in a full mix

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Input is a usb "rocksmith" cable into ASIO4ALL, also been using Guitar Rig to play without recording. I've got the amp sim VST set up and working, mainly just looking for a good youtube series/channel recommendation since I don't know enough to separate the good tutorials from the bad at this point.

My initial attempts to record a rhythm track then try to lay a solo over it ran into a wall when I realized I tried to crop (? idk the audio terminology, but I do know that "clip" is NOT the search term to use for this) the recording to remove the dead air before I started playing. It only let me crop on beats and I hadn't set the bpm correctly. Eventually figured out how to adjust the bpm without speeding up my already recorded bits, and how to cut out the parts of the recording I didn't want (split the track and delete? is there another way?), and also to turn off snapping to beats. The user manual is good for reference but doesn't really go into the why and when you'd want to do things, just explains every menu in each window in order.

Not too worried about the sound/entering the toan zone/mixing voodoo, mainly just want to record chords and practice improvising over them for now

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Plank Walker posted:

(? idk the audio terminology, but I do know that "clip" is NOT the search term to use for this)

IME most DAWs will use "split" for that operation

Plank Walker posted:

(split the track and delete? is there another way?), and also to turn off snapping to beats.

Yeah, clips will be linked to the source recording until you "glue" them or render them as takes, so splitting and deleting is the way to go IMO - if you cut too much just extend the clip back

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m composing a sort of synthwave thing atm, it has some good ideas, needs some work but I like how it’s coming along. my wife says it sounds like something out of the amiga demo scene which I don’t know if it’s a compliment or an indictment

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That's a compliment

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just finished this one. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/9-12-2023-adding-microkorg

I still had a stereo track on the 4-track I wasn't using, and my Microkorg has stereo outputs, so....

edit: I don't know if I'm getting any better at this, but I don't feel like stopping! https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/9-13-2023a

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 14, 2023

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

crosspost but whatever, I put up my latest track as a single and you can listen to it now

https://silveralicorn.bandcamp.com/album/compassionate-removal-single

I already got some good constructive feedback over discord but let me know what you think

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

crosspost but whatever, I put up my latest track as a single and you can listen to it now

I already got some good constructive feedback over discord but let me know what you think

“sounds like shmup boss music” I thought, and then looked at the tags. :hmmyes:

I enjoyed the first minute and a half on my phone and paused so I can revisit with a better listening environment later.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Silver Alicorn posted:

I plan on checking this out, but I've been busy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM7XQftfNvk

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/09-18-23a

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/9-14-2023a

I have no idea where I'm going with this. Maybe one of these days I'll get the 'nads to livestream?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
played on a berhinger pro-800 at the music store

god drat I want one. it sounds soooo good, and it’s at a great price

imo it’s such a great synth purchase

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I did a dungeon synth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79UPOyvyPI

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

played on a berhinger pro-800 at the music store

god drat I want one. it sounds soooo good, and it’s at a great price

imo it’s such a great synth purchase

doesn't the hydrasynth do the same thing more or less?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah at only twice the price <cue behringer mob squad>

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi what kinda keyboard did they have it set up with?

also, does that clone another synth or is it a behringer original?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
on paper yeah I suppose, but at its heart it’s a digital beast

going back to the original polysynths, the oberheims and the prophets, there seems to be a reason those architectures are so well loved after four decades now, and some would say the oberheims suit the massive synth sounds more and prophets more the milder synth sounds (massive crossover of course), and that prophet architecture and sound just totally compels me. but I’d never have considered getting one, until this.

the hydrasynth is really so good in so many ways, but, unfortunately, the actual end sound is not it’s strength. not if you’re wanting a retro analog sound anyway. the UI on the hydra is so good, you can absolutely tell that was designed by someone with decades of synth design experience, because it puts so much functionality so close to the surface and barely sacrifices any control to do it. but yeah it’s defo a digital beast. and when I want it to sound like a power station it’s the machine.

but it’ll never sound like a true poly synth, especially not one designed after one of the greatest lineages

some of these things I’ve only come to appreciate because I’ve been using the hydra for a couple years now, and one of those things is discovering I love playing the keys as much as I love synths themselves, and so for me a synth that can reward playing well (which I cannot yet do) is where I wanna be

and another thing in the flimsy list of justifications is actually the appeal toward something simpler. for the same reason that moving off a computer made a world of difference to my approach and enjoyment of playing non-guitar music, I suspect this is going a wee step further.

I’ve got a moog minitaur, and I super appreciate its simplicity (wish just one more function was exposed without having to use the computer interface), and even tho it does presets I treat it like it doesn’t, so every knob is always sitting where it’s actually set. and it sounds fuckin cool. a modern day classic, judging by how owners talk about it and how ex owners lament selling it.

the pro-800 and the minitaur would be a combo from hell. except lol neither has a keyboard so that’s a problem to solve. nbd if using ableton and sequencing, but if I was wanting to play both at te same time, which I would want to, well I’ll have to find a way to solve that.

a lotta words to justify a purchase i’ve pretty much already made (in my head)

in the end lol maybe it’s a bit like saying, why do you want a strat, don’t you already have a les paul? :p

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

echi what kinda keyboard did they have it set up with?

also, does that clone another synth or is it a behringer original?

uh just a midi keyboard

it’s modeled after a sequential p600, which I believe is meant to be a more budget version of a prophet 5

but this is 8 voice version, still fully analog. which is a lot of voices of analog for the dollar, and a bunch of modern touches like letting you choose envelope slopes for example. also sequencer and arp. the buttons look bad but they’re true to the original lol

many youtube reviews and examples of playing it and it sounds golden imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
next time i’m gonna go home and pretend i’ve just gotten this synth and then see what i do differently at all to right now

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

live set from Goldie this past April on HÖR Berlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=volq_3_aU_Y

Broken Machine posted:

yeah, basically all of the HÖR Berlin sets are there in that same studio, i don't know why. probably has good acoustics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annIzJmW6I0
i came across this channel some months ago and these two sets completely crush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDrsfgPTmuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv3f5sEe1Hw

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm still sort of at this. I decided to use the non-Volca synthesizers for this one. Plus, I bought a mandolin last week.

https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/10-02-23a

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I caved and got the pro-800

it sounds so good. now I’ve just gotta get good lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7283923930589515051

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of the better things I've done

https://soundcloud.com/rodtronics/the-gun-7

just some boring pad/ambient stuff

only analog synths. moog minitaur and behringer pro-800

of course some effects in abletome like reverb.

enjoy it.. OR NOT

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my sons fave guitarist is dave gilmour right and I’ve just about to buy this 2nd hand fender (squire) strat in black just like the most legendary electric guitar of all time

I remember lol reading some instagram comments on a post about the sale of that guitar and someone was like “an old strat? can’t be worth more than an few hundred dollars” lmao a 1969 strat that was used on some of the most iconic guitar solos of all time

it’s an xmas present. gently caress he’s gonna be stoked

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020
its so sad that the renoise lua api isnt as robust as i thought itd be. still better than most daws with next to no scripting support. worst part is that renoise doesnt spit out OSC messages without being coerced by way of Writing My Own drat Plugin so this performance brain project is gonna take a lot longer than expected

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this strat hasn’t been used in a while. some
of the pickguaed screws are rusty and a bit of corrosion on other parts

makes me wanna make as much of much of this stainless as poss. is that a thing? is it maybe bad for some reason?

maybe someone makes a stainless bridge and saddles etc

black pickguard to look like david gilmours one

the pots feel scratchy. idk if that’s someone you can lube easily or if replacements better?

picks a touch rusty too.. unfortunately new picks up is a bit out of the scope for a $300 guitar

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 7, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi what's so special about that one? affinity squier strats are $250 and the classic vibes are $400 or so. im sure theyre more expensive in NZ, but it's kind of odd to me seeing someone pay $300 for a used, rusty squier strat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
stainless frets are a thing but they feel like poo poo and its expensive to get a guitar re-fretted. if you don't want to diy it (you probably don't) its 200 bucks on a 300 buck guitar

stainless hardware elsewhere exists but its insane expensive and you're better off cycling in new nickel plated stuff instead

here in the states we use deoxit to unfuck scratchy pots. also "qd electronics cleaner" basically same thing. Honestly go to the auto parts store and ask them for a can of electrical contact cleaner. thats the stuff you want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

echi what's so special about that one? affinity squier strats are $250 and the classic vibes are $400 or so. im sure theyre more expensive in NZ, but it's kind of odd to me seeing someone pay $300 for a used, rusty squier strat

lol you think I checked how much they were new before I leapt on this ?? what a joke

Jonny 290 posted:

stainless frets are a thing but they feel like poo poo and its expensive to get a guitar re-fretted. if you don't want to diy it (you probably don't) its 200 bucks on a 300 buck guitar

stainless hardware elsewhere exists but its insane expensive and you're better off cycling in new nickel plated stuff instead

here in the states we use deoxit to unfuck scratchy pots. also "qd electronics cleaner" basically same thing. Honestly go to the auto parts store and ask them for a can of electrical contact cleaner. thats the stuff you want

ah yep, thankyou for the advice. I was only thinking about swapping out the screws and maybe bridge if I could find one but guess I’ll see the cost, but you’re probably right

and thanks I was gonna put sewing machine oil in the pots so that’s way better lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

lol you think I checked how much they were new before I leapt on this ?? what a joke

similar ones are 500 new so I saved myself a couple hundy and I can say there is a cool story about a junkie who sold it which gives it bad rear end vibes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gold frets are where it’s at. 24k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo the filter on the pro-800 sounds good

at the high end of the resonance before it starts to self oscillate (which is a nice window where you can bring in just touch of self osc, it’s not a knife edge), and at higher cutoffs there’s this delicious shimmer , and the high end has this fizz. it’s not harsh or brash.

the filter on the moog minitaur sounds good at low resonances but high resonances kill the bass and gets too squelchy. the iconic ladder filter ain’t all its cracked up to be imo, I barely turn the resonance up past like 10%

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I need to make some more music before I lose touch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
make music for your game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am reaching this very difficult point myself where - I might have to get better at playing :cry: