Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nessus posted:

Not sure what you mean with the first one. Presumably you would quest for allies or vulnerabilities of the great wizard if your goal was to defeat them? Or is this the mustard trading simulation aspect of TTRPGs we're talking about.

If it’s a well written adventure then sure. If it’s not, it’ll expect the players to know that the evil wizard’s ability to cast Armageddon or whatever is just plot dressing and that walking into his fortress is not in fact suicide. This comes up in both publication and home brew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the grognards very clearly never actually play games, or when they do, don't actually adhere to any of the rules or philosophy they claim to.

This is a major point. Lots of people say they want a crunchy rules set that's simulationist, but they really want a ruleset that carries the weight and tone of scenarios they like to play.

Encumbrance rules are usually the forefront of this battleground.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Sort of coming around to accepting my main tcg is probably done in my country and feeling kind of melancholy about it. I've been playing Battle Spirits Saga since its release a few months ago and really had a lot of fun with it, helped cultivate and nurture the scene for my city, and it's still even pretty active here to the point I can usually go to about 3-4 store tournaments a week knowing it's get the numbers for the store to run it. I even managed to somehow become a moderator and event organiser for one of the big discord communities for the game on top of running the one for Sydney.

But being able to see numbers and talking to store owners, people who are doing similar things in their own countries, and new and existing players in general, the game isn't growing and the broader community morale is very low. Bandai has dropped the ball supporting the game here multiple times and put most of their energy into trying to draw in people with a big cash prize pro tour before there was even enough good players to really justify it, resulting in a lot of people jumping into the game hoping to be a big fish in a small pond and then either quitting when they realised they weren't going to be that big fish, or they did become one of the big fish and went all "gently caress you, got mine" about the community building aspect in favour of hoarding knowledge and clout chasing.

The first qualifier tournament here for the pro tour even got a pretty decent turnout too, and it was a really fun day celebrating the game, but the organiser for the second one in Melbourne made an announcement today that its only a week away and that only 30 people had signed up for a tournament that awards prize money and pro tour invites to the top 32. Considering Melbourne is supposed to be the sort of centre of tcgs in Australia too feels like a real writing on the wall type thing.

It's pretty bittersweet for me too because it admittedly is my first tcg. I had just moved to a new part of the city and was a bit isolated from most of my friends who were on the other side of the city, so I started playing the game to make some friends in my area and had always wanted to try a tcg anyway, so I ended up getting way more out of the game than I was anticipating all considering. The game is really fun and had a lot of potential considering Battle Spirits has been around in Japan for ages.

It did provide an entry point for other tcgs for me though, and the friends and experiences its provided are still there and cherished so it's not the end of the world, but it could have really become something special.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Elon Musk and Grimes Secretly Welcomed Third Baby, a Son Named Techno Mechanicus, New Biography Claims.

One of the stupidest men on the planet knows about the Mechanicus enough to name one of his sons after it. No wonder he wants to travel to Mars: He thinks hes the God-Emperor.

He also allegedly calls him Tau. I think you all know what THAT means.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 12, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Redezga posted:

Sort of coming around to accepting my main tcg is probably done in my country and feeling kind of melancholy about it.

That’s tough, but it looks like you’re learning a lot about organizing around the game and that can help if you want to stay at it. Just being known in a local area as someone who puts in the time can make a big difference if you move on from this tcg to other games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I mentioned a thing in the Historicals thread and only just found it again. It's the fourth pic. Please enjoy.

https://fxtwitter.com/MeU_317/status/1535614736460828672

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

He has no nose?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He has no nose?
If he has no nose, then how does he smell?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

FMguru posted:

If he has no nose, then how does he smell?

terrible!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

i googled and found nothing obvious. what does it mean

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Apart from being a Greek letter, the Tau are a species in Warhammer. It's a weird choice for Apartheid Clyde, since they're ostensibly space communists. I guess he's just a big fan of caste systems.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

My first thought is "name of the least worst society in Warhammer 40k, which merely has harsh caste stratification and eugenics instead of living in the actual torment vortex."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Tau just means that young Techno Mechanicus is actually his eighth child.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Capfalcon posted:

My first thought is "name of the least worst society in Warhammer 40k, which merely has harsh caste stratification and eugenics instead of living in the actual torment vortex."

Nah, Nids are the least morally questionable.

Everybody else are some variety of rear end in a top hat ; the Hive Swarm is just hungry. No more malevolent than a shark.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there's some super old lore about Norn Queens being sapient and motivated primarily by spite and competition -- each one is out to prove to all the others that their own bug babies are the best

i don't think it's been referenced since like 6th edition but i choose to believe it's true because the idea of Tyranids being basically the galaxy's deadliest soccer mom sewing circle is too funny to pass up

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
wine nids

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Tau are caste-based, but at least they are not the Imperium.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

karenids

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aren’t the Squats back now?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Yeah, as the Legion of Votann.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

grassy gnoll posted:

Apart from being a Greek letter, the Tau are a species in Warhammer. It's a weird choice for Apartheid Clyde, since they're ostensibly space communists. I guess he's just a big fan of caste systems.

I feel like the "Wow, cool space marine" meme already covers this use case, it's just "Wow, cool battlesuit" instead.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Halloween Jack posted:

But what if the players are mad that they beat the boss in one turn

If the players beat a boss in one turn then ipso facto that wasn't the boss. Well done on defeating the henchman, now here comes the real big bad guy who was there all along to clown your asses (adds 100HP and +8d6 to his attacks).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

tanglewood1420 posted:

If the players beat a boss in one turn then ipso facto that wasn't the boss. Well done on defeating the henchman, now here comes the real big bad guy who was there all along to clown your asses (adds 100HP and +8d6 to his attacks).

lol

"that wasn't my REAL form!"

In Shadowrun, I always just ran with it. GMs gotta learn not to have bad guys monologue at heavily armed murder hobos

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Necrons are the good guys in 40K: they're gonna save everyone from that hellscape.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
One of the kids I run D&D for linked The Arcane Programmer, which is essentially a Turing Machine using Magic Mouths, which delights me. I mentioned some of the other crazy thought experiments in that vein, and they want to see them, but I'm having trouble finding them. Anyone have a link to the amazing hypothetical / thought experiment about an incredibly powergamed elf astronomer trying to kill Cthulhu by throwing boats at him through space, something along those lines? Also the Skeleton Computer.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lol

In Shadowrun, I always just ran with it. GMs gotta learn not to have bad guys monologue at heavily armed murder hobos

Yeah the one time I messed up like this I just let the players enjoy their unexpectedly easy win. They had fun stunting on the boss and still talk about it sometimes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lol

In Shadowrun you do your bad guy monologues over screens, possibly pre-recorded as a deathtrap counts down, duh.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kestral posted:

One of the kids I run D&D for linked The Arcane Programmer, which is essentially a Turing Machine using Magic Mouths, which delights me. I mentioned some of the other crazy thought experiments in that vein, and they want to see them, but I'm having trouble finding them. Anyone have a link to the amazing hypothetical / thought experiment about an incredibly powergamed elf astronomer trying to kill Cthulhu by throwing boats at him through space, something along those lines? Also the Skeleton Computer.

The Murphy’s Rule thread is responsible for a lot of that stuff : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533536&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Yeah the one time I messed up like this I just let the players enjoy their unexpectedly easy win. They had fun stunting on the boss and still talk about it sometimes.

In the same way that players sometimes get gutted and barely pull through the easy funny fights they rally and one shot the big bad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In Earthdawn we had a Windling one-shot an evil house once. The damage dice all exploded and the GM was like, well I guess you blast right through it with your tiny spear and deal a fatal blow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just picturing the FF7 boss.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Nessus posted:

Aren’t the Squats back now?

They are back. And their dystopian nightmare is they are capitalists.

They will blow up your entire planet, and one or two more along the way because number must go up.

For reasons, GW has not moved their lore forward since their codex came out.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 13, 2023

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone been to the Essen Spiel convention in Germany before and have any experiences they can share? I know Gen Con is sort of the main event in TG just because the forums are mostly American, but I'm on the other side of the pond and am considering attending next year once they announce the dates (not this year, it's too late to organize that).

According to wiki it's got twice the attendance of Gen Con, which sorta blows my mind. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I assume the two events are broadly similar?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
From people I know that have gone I've heard it's very different than US shows like Gencon. For one its not confined to a single space like a convention center, it consumes the whole town, for another it's attendance is much more mainstream and casual than a show in the US, people will just go for the evening to play a few games with their family or date.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Also, I think it's just board/card games, not roleplaying or minis. Either way, sounds like a lot of fun!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I haven't been to GenCon so I don't know how shopping oriented it is, but Essen is very shopping oriented. Like, "German family goes to Essen to buy their new board games for the year" is a pretty common use case. This also results in a different demographic to what I've seen in a lot of GenCon photos and footage

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s been over a decade since I went to Gencon, but it wasn’t any more shopping-y than typical nerdshit cons. There’s vendor alleys n stuff but mostly a lot of Magic tournaments and D&D.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It's not casual shopping as you need to buy a ticket to get in the door, but a very substantial footprint of the convention center is booths to sell stuff.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Drone posted:

Anyone been to the Essen Spiel convention in Germany before and have any experiences they can share? I know Gen Con is sort of the main event in TG just because the forums are mostly American, but I'm on the other side of the pond and am considering attending next year once they announce the dates (not this year, it's too late to organize that).

According to wiki it's got twice the attendance of Gen Con, which sorta blows my mind. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I assume the two events are broadly similar?

I've never been to Spiel or Gen Con so I can't comment. However, you might get a little more traction crossposting this into the Board Game Thread since my understanding is that Spiel is much more strictly a 'board game convention' rather than 'gaming convention' like GenCon or 'nerd convention' like ComicCon or what have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pollyanna posted:

It’s been over a decade since I went to Gencon, but it wasn’t any more shopping-y than typical nerdshit cons. There’s vendor alleys n stuff but mostly a lot of Magic tournaments and D&D.

I haven't been to GenCon in close to a decade (since I moved far away from Chicago), but when I went I would always bring back stacks of RPG books, piles of games, and/or boxes of HeroClix & MageKnight figs to repurpose as minis in RPGs. My friends who go to GenCon still find the dealer rooms highlight of the trip.

I was seduced by the Dungeon Forge table every year, but then always remembered that not only can I not paint stuff, I probably can't pour plaster of Paris as well.