Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like reading because when I inevitably lose focus thanks to my ADHD it's easier to recover than skipping around a video to figure out where I was last paying attention.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

I like reading because when I inevitably lose focus thanks to my ADHD it's easier to recover than skipping around a video to figure out where I was last paying attention.
Try YouTube shorts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Try YouTube shorts
do not encourage self-harm

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yt shorts piss me off so much get that poo poo out of my subscriptions tab

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
specifically the yt apple tv app just lists them as individual videos in the subscriptions section of the app* so i have to scroll past so much of that crap just to get to the longer videos i actually want to watch

*ie it's not like the youtube website where the shorts are just lumped into an expandable single row section (which also sucks but not as much)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if youtube hadn't removed downvote counts i'd consider just downvoting every short on principle, but google would probably measure even that interaction as a success for shorts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"everybody hates this poo poo!"
"yeah but look how much engagement it drives!"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my favorite simple example about how lovely things are wrt ~ t h e a l g o r i t h m ~ or whatever is that youtube people deliberately misspell things in their videos because it drives engagement from people correcting them in the comments.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

attention is the worst metric and it's real bad it took over as the most important one

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm rewatching sealab 2021 cuz i haven't seen it in years and there's a throwaway joke early on about how the internet almost destroyed humanity in future year 2007

:smith:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

attention is the worst metric and it's real bad it took over as the most important one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i've been using the "don't show me this channel" feature in youtube for awhile now and i'm quite certain yt has suggested videos from channels i used this on recently. i think they expire that poo poo on purpose eventually.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

:emptyquote:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i have a time machine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

as our prophet eripsa foretold

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

she’s right, my uncle works at apple and he told me the same thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

now i'm just thinking about how nanopatticles are the smallest lil' headpats :3:

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat Apple has time travel and they haven't even gone back in time to save steve jobs by making him get actual cancer treatment?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fart simpson posted:

she’s right, my uncle works at apple and he told me the same thing
that was actually future-you travelling back in time to tell you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

drat Apple has time travel and they haven't even gone back in time to save steve jobs by making him get actual cancer treatment?

he actually ascended to a higher existence through fruit juice or whatever and they have rules about interfering with the lower planes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

he got treatment in the primary timeline but for someone as vain as him living with a colostomy bag was unbearable so he made apple invent time travel to convince his past self to die of cancer instead

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sounds cool, my vaccine just boosted my immune system vs Covid and made me sick for a few days, I didn’t get even a single trip through time :(

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

every apple employee could have prevented covid and chose not to. makes you think.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cold on a Cob posted:

yt shorts piss me off so much get that poo poo out of my subscriptions tab

remove the dogshit from YT search results:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/rpmx2y/how_to_remove_related_to_your_search_related/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

my favorite simple example about how lovely things are wrt ~ t h e a l g o r i t h m ~ or whatever is that youtube people deliberately misspell things in their videos because it drives engagement from people correcting them in the comments.

:latestfad:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Internet Janitor posted:

i could definitely buy the tiktok voice being based on a chinese speaker's impression of what a "valley girl" voice sounds like

they should have one that's the "increeeedble Sharpe knife! alltomato cut nice!" guy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

has anyone else noticed that websites are just straight up breaking more often recently? like actual websites you want to use like banking, insurance, etc

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

has anyone else noticed that websites are just straight up breaking more often recently? like actual websites you want to use like banking, insurance, etc

Yeah lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i guess shoutout to epic mychart though. i was expecting their app to suck hog balls but it's.... actually kind of nice? like it just works and is easy to use. quite a breath of fresh air tbh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

never used their app but my chart does import data into apple health app nicely

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

it would be pretty funny for a text to speech voice to read something like "there is an apple" out loud as "so there's like, an apple? or whatever?"

Back when Google would let you use third-party TTS engines on your phone, I installed a French one, and it was fantastic. When he would read out English text he sounded totally depressed and sardonic.

"In sree hundrehd yads...turn chright." *sigh* 🚬😒

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

they should have one that's the "increeeedble Sharpe knife! alltomato cut nice!" guy

Second.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you can use the accented siri voices for tts on ios. i use the female irish one lol, it's pretty good

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i guess shoutout to epic mychart though. i was expecting their app to suck hog balls but it's.... actually kind of nice? like it just works and is easy to use. quite a breath of fresh air tbh

Oh is mychart made by epic? Our doctor/hospital uses it and it’s actually pretty nice, you can see doctors notes on the web portal and everyone seems to be able to get access to information from other people.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yes, particularly on mobile

Beeftweeter posted:

you can use the accented siri voices for tts on ios. i use the female irish one lol, it's pretty good

don't share your fetishes here tyvm

.(that sounds good though, I'd consider it if those voice assistants weren't all sending your personal info to whoever)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

my friends use the south african male voice for reasons i don't understand

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bet you can figure it out :whitewater:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yes, particularly on mobile

don't share your fetishes here tyvm

.(that sounds good though, I'd consider it if those voice assistants weren't all sending your personal info to whoever)

it's just for tts, as far as i can tell it's completely processed on-device. siri itself uses a different voice (and i don't use siri anyway)

and it's not a fetish per se lol it just sounds better than the generic-rear end american one to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
although as noted earlier itt, who doesn't like a hot girl with a good accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

siri should sound like a valley girl