Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

this owns

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Not So Fast posted:

Is there a good book recommendation going into the background of Venezuela - covering what the political situation was that lead to Chavez's coup and why he was so popular compared to the opposition?

it’s a really complicated situation and I don’t think there’s a single good book explaining it but broadly - Perez was elected around the time the Venezuelan oil industry was really getting going and he was initially really focused on using oil revenue to improve the lives of ordinary Venezuelans. my impression from reading about him is that he was in earnest. but managing that kind of economic transition is really hard and what happened was that a huge influx of oil revenue was not well managed - a lot of it was lost to corruption, boondoggle projects that didn’t really get off the ground etc. in the end the country wasn’t really in good shape for a bunch of fairly boring economic reasons and he lost re-election.

when he made his comeback he basically accepted the devil’s bargain with the IMF which involved everyone’s favorite “market reforms” and caused chaos, including huge gas price increases. that led to a massive protest called the caracazo. perez’s repression was fairly brutal and spurred a lot of discontented military officers to plot against him. Chavez really half assed his coup but gave himself up and urged the others to lay down arms, which made him really popular since he was seen as a guy who cared about Venezuela rather than his own power.

in the end he was elected because he had credibility as a man who cared about the working class and a sufficient number of middle-class people were willing to vote for him as an anti-corruption campaigner

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

:ese:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fermun posted:

Part of it is that since Deng, China has had an official policy of trying to develop the developing world in order to safeguard local manufacturing. They saw that they could be threatened by a widespread capital strike on their manufacturing industry so they are actively investing in the developing world to try to bring their standard of living up enough that there would be no advantage for a multinational to shift their manufacturing to another country since the cost of labor would be too close to that in China and there would be massive infrastructure investments needed to make the shift that China would be able to hold out and win against any attempted international capital strike.

They obviously do it for international solidarity and to develop new export markets as well, but bringing up the wages in the developing world enough that they would be immune to foreign capital strikes was a specific point of why they began investing in the developing world.

deng was a genius.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zodium posted:

deng was a genius.

More and more people are saying.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/AssLatam/status/1702800052849111387

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Zodium posted:

deng was a genius.

no no

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

fermun posted:

Part of it is that since Deng, China has had an official policy of trying to develop the developing world in order to safeguard local manufacturing. They saw that they could be threatened by a widespread capital strike on their manufacturing industry so they are actively investing in the developing world to try to bring their standard of living up enough that there would be no advantage for a multinational to shift their manufacturing to another country since the cost of labor would be too close to that in China and there would be massive infrastructure investments needed to make the shift that China would be able to hold out and win against any attempted international capital strike.

They obviously do it for international solidarity and to develop new export markets as well, but bringing up the wages in the developing world enough that they would be immune to foreign capital strikes was a specific point of why they began investing in the developing world.

that owns. Id like to read more about this if you (or anyone) has any sources handy that talk about it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, they found a scheme where Bozo's group would take state gifts and rather than bringing them to Brazil they'd go unreported and one of his helpers would go and sell it in the US. Just recently the main guy doing this for him entered into a plea deal with the feds and is rolling on him.

puts all those times he challenged his critics to prove he was corrupt into context

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

vyelkin posted:

puts all those times he challenged his critics to prove he was corrupt into context

the response from his supporters also has been to spread a video where lula was allegedly pilfering pens from the G20 meeting and even if it was true how is it any comparable

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

the response from his supporters also has been to spread a video where lula was allegedly pilfering pens from the G20 meeting and even if it was true how is it any comparable

lmao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Plutonis posted:

this only makes him more relatable, always steal pens from conferences etc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

this only makes him more relatable, always steal pens from conferences etc

Exactly, it's like taking home soap and shampoo from the hotel, everyone does this poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol lula4eva

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lula would get an entire meal's worth of pigs in blankets from the sample table at costco

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I couldn't remember off the top of my head if Lula truly came up from working class origins but that confirmed it for me. Especially if they were click pens, the G20 has nobody to blame but themselves for leaving them out in the open, something even a high schooler working at a sandwich shop knows not to do.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So Netflix has a movie where Pinochet is a 300 year old vampire

The Strangest Vampire Movie of the Decade Takes a Guillotine to History

What if one of the most infamous dictators of the 20th century was actually a vampire

quote:

Shot by Edward Lachman in stark black-and-white, El Conde plays like your foggiest liminal dream turned into a depraved bloodbath. Narrated by a mysterious British woman, who recounts the most ghastly details of Pinochet’s immortal life with a fondness that borders on perverse, El Conde supplements its rather sparse narrative with shocks of gore. We see Pinochet rip heads off prostitutes, lick the blood from guillotines, and stab his way to the top of the Chilean government. The vampire metaphor is played straight; Pinochet’s reign of terror as both a politician and a creature of the night are depicted on an even footing. Regardless, El Conde feels like a strangely apolitical take on such a divisive figure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mods please rename me Apolitical Vampire Pinochet

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I watched the movie and Pinochet is treated as a pathetic crook, murderer, cuckold and a bestial monster, how the gently caress is this apolitical?

Also spoilers: The narrator British woman is Thatcher who is also a vampire and Pinochet's mother lol

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Sep 18, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There is absolutely nothing political about an amoral bloodsucking ghoul becoming a vampire.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I watched the movie and Pinochet is treated as a pathetic crook, murderer, cuckold and a bestial monster, how the gently caress is this apolitical?

Also spoilers: The narrator British woman is Thatcher who is also a vampire and Pinochet's mother lol

Okay you sold me on it

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

The vampire metaphor is played straight; Pinochet’s reign of terror as both a politician and a creature of the night are depicted on an even footing. Regardless, El Conde feels like a strangely apolitical take on such a divisive figure.

:psyduck:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Depicting a political leader as a literal monster is apolitical. Ok then.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Depicting a political leader as a literal monster is apolitical. Ok then.

Idk, if you focus on personal failings like sexual misconduct or vampirism your going pretty non political

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

horror: notoriously apolitical genre

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
yeah the movie's directed by Pablo Larraín who also directed No (a film about the 1988 referendum to remove Pinochet) and El Club (about a 'retirement house' for sex pest priests). No was pretty lukewarm politically (the underlying message was that the option against Pinochet was obviously the morally correct choice but the clueless left needed savvy ad execs who weren't polluted with ~ideology~ in order to pull an unexpected win) but that one had a different writer so w/e

he's also the son of the former UDI chairman (ie the party at the furthest right of the chilean political spectrum before Kast's Republicanos took that spot), lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SexyBlindfold posted:

yeah the movie's directed by Pablo Larraín who also directed No (a film about the 1988 referendum to remove Pinochet) and El Club (about a 'retirement house' for sex pest priests). No was pretty lukewarm politically (the underlying message was that the option against Pinochet was obviously the morally correct choice but the clueless left needed savvy ad execs who weren't polluted with ~ideology~ in order to pull an unexpected win) but that one had a different writer so w/e

he's also the son of the former UDI chairman (ie the party at the furthest right of the chilean political spectrum before Kast's Republicanos took that spot), lmao

[don draper voice] i call it la alegría. and it's ya viene

[chilean democracy organizers] god dammit he's done it again

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Cuba is just so loving cool

https://twitter.com/ldejesusreyes/status/1703891409223274841?t=sDZ-SIBOXIhww99n74sOPg&s=19

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i say swears online posted:

lmao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online posted:

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

huh, there’s a Temple of Solomon in Brazil that some evangelical psychos built.
aren’t Latin American Protestants supposed to be completely insane even by American standards

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yeah Latin American Protestants are roughly comparable to American catholic convert psychos

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the real horseshoe theory

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Adult converts in general tend to be the real weird ones one way or another.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Adult converts in general tend to be the real weird ones one way or another.

Now think back to the original spread of these religions and how for a good few years, every single adherent was an adult convert.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1704566624622141458

I earnestly don't know how to interpret this.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

he doesnt want to get couped again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh no, I don't think he was fully into an anti-america sentiment and I don't give much of a hoot about that if my friends in Brazil recover the gains that were lost from Temer\Bolso 's work, I meant if this would be a net positive to the people there.