Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FuturePastNow posted:

My university's Internet in 2004 was via 6 T1 lines. I know this because my roommate figured how to overcome all of their attempts to stop him from using the entire connection for BitTorrent and was very proud

I worked student IT about the same time period and from what I recall of a similar setup it wasn't the download that was the problem, it was the upload. It was basically impossible for a single person to saturate the connection via DL from a single port, but someone who was blasting 2003's latest movie hit out to the universe could gently caress the upload pretty solidly and cause knock-on effects. RIAA/MPAA etc lawyers were also a factor, but the major issue was upload saturation and IIRC some kind of overage charge with the ISP.

Either way, we had a policy that when someone got dinged for soaking up too much of the upload we'd shut off their port and then when they called to ask WTF walk them through how to configure kazaa or limewire or whatever so that the weren't seeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Relative to what?

I mean, is there anything? I think there are some satellite services that are extremely expensive.

I mean, yes, VPN is clearly the alternative here and probably better now than anything you would use T1s for but there was a period not too long ago where companies would want to interconnect office data without the data hitting the internet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

I worked student IT about the same time period and from what I recall of a similar setup it wasn't the download that was the problem, it was the upload. It was basically impossible for a single person to saturate the connection via DL from a single port, but someone who was blasting 2003's latest movie hit out to the universe could gently caress the upload pretty solidly and cause knock-on effects. RIAA/MPAA etc lawyers were also a factor, but the major issue was upload saturation and IIRC some kind of overage charge with the ISP.

Either way, we had a policy that when someone got dinged for soaking up too much of the upload we'd shut off their port and then when they called to ask WTF walk them through how to configure kazaa or limewire or whatever so that the weren't seeding.

He was careful to only use the full upload during holidays when most students were gone, but use it he did. He still had seeder credit on some private tracker a decade later. It was a smaller school and he... knew more about computer networks than Academic Tech did

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd forgotten about kazaa

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think our campus generated much in the way of P2P internet traffic since there were so many people hosting huge DC++ hubs and I think that it would always prioritise connecting to hubs with the lowest latency

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oof, the mention of DC++ hit me right in the nostalgia.

I still maintain that it's one of the best filesharing systems ever invented, even if it took way too loving long to scan the several-TB collection of FreeBSD ISOs that I had at the time.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 14, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
DC++ ruled. Every summer of college my friends and I would go to Quakecon (a huge lan party) and stop by Fry's electronics to buy new HDDs on the way to stuff full of whatever we could find on the hub there over the weekend. There was literal petabytes of data you could download at insane speeds. Man those were the good ol days.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

DC++ ruled. Every summer of college my friends and I would go to Quakecon (a huge lan party) and stop by Fry's electronics to buy new HDDs on the way to stuff full of whatever we could find on the hub there over the weekend. There was literal petabytes of data you could download at insane speeds. Man those were the good ol days.
A tiny LAN party of like ~30 people could manage several TB of data on a local hub, back in the early 2000s.

I have fond memories of going to Tietgen Skolen or Odense University at the height of summer, and in between various waterfights (and other people getting hosed down for not showering enough), downloading absolutely insane amounts of data that I'd then spend the rest of the year going through.

Being the data hoarder that I am, I still have pictures from back then too - it's a heck of a trip down memory lane.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The uni didn’t need to worry too much about doing QoS because each port to each room only ran at 10Mb with maybe a gigabit over fibre back to the main data centre, but 10Mb was still 20x quicker than the connections people were leaving at home, and this was before HDDVD and Blu-ray so the best quality you were getting was a high bitrate DivX file anyway.

I don’t miss codec packs.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I was a Physics major, but the guy next to me was an engineer who loved to poke around the network and man did he have some cool tricks.

See it turns out that every single kid at the University had a logon to the engineering servers, even if they weren’t really needing them, and engineering servers had completely uncapped Internet.

So, even though the campus Wi-Fi was really locked down and did not let you play World of Warcraft, you could fix that by just taking all of your traffic and funneling it through one of the few open ports on wifi directly to the unix servers in a basement.

The only problem is that everyone on campus knows you can’t play games on the Wi-Fi so when you do it in the dining hall nerds constantly come up and ask you how.

Good times.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The uni didn’t need to worry too much about doing QoS because each port to each room only ran at 10Mb with maybe a gigabit over fibre back to the main data centre, but 10Mb was still 20x quicker than the connections people were leaving at home, and this was before HDDVD and Blu-ray so the best quality you were getting was a high bitrate DivX file anyway.

I don’t miss codec packs.

The only rule we had was 2 GB of uploading per day, and if you did more than that, they blocked your MAC address for three days.

You read that correctly: they blocked the Mac address, not the port in the room, just the MAC address of the device.

So I learned what a MAC address was and how to spoof it the first time that happened and after that just rotated through eight Mac addresses.

They didn’t say I couldn’t just keep getting the MAC address banned. It just said it would be banned for three days and so I got banned over and over and over and over.

It’s not my fault the punishment they came up with is a complete non-punishment to anyone that has Google and about four minutes to learn what a MAC address is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A guy at a company I worked at a few years back would bittorrent movies onto his company VM and then watch the movies during the day. Just the weirdest dude. Gave no fucks and never got fired. I kind of respect that.

He got told to stop by IT and he just said no and they seemingly couldn’t figure out how to block him and the upper management didn’t seem concerned.

He was an analog IC designer so if you have ever met any you probably understand.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I was at a lan part just before COVID, the first one I had been to in years, and windows file sharing is broken as all hell nowadays so we just gave up trying to share things around. Had to transfer old games that we wanted to play on thumb drives like cavemen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

priznat posted:

A guy at a company I worked at a few years back would bittorrent movies onto his company VM and then watch the movies during the day. Just the weirdest dude. Gave no fucks and never got fired. I kind of respect that.

He got told to stop by IT and he just said no and they seemingly couldn’t figure out how to block him and the upper management didn’t seem concerned.

He was an analog IC designer so if you have ever met any you probably understand.

You've heard of malicious compliance.. now introducing malicious non-compliance

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mewse posted:

You've heard of malicious compliance.. now introducing malicious non-compliance

Dude would also sleep at his desk and snore so loudly he scared an intern thinking there was something wrong. He would be in his chair with his head tilted back and mouth wide open and people would roll up small paper balls and try to launch them over the cube walls in a 3 cube radius to get them in his mouth. Only ever heard one land because he woke up choking and everybody cheered and he yelled “WHO DID THAT” and then immediately went back to sleep.

Completely useless dude who coasted on reputation from 5+ years prior. Respekt.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

priznat posted:

This dude rules.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/12/long-lunch-spanish-civil-servant-skips-work-for-years-without-anyone-noticing

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That's a dude who was either the only person alive who knew how to fix some ancient piece of hardware/software that was vital to day to day operations or who knew where the bodies were buried.

Perhaps literally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^^ he was an analog IC engineer which at the time if you could find one with any track record of success you do anything to keep them happy. It’s like a real life wizard.

Oh he had a sister who got hired at the company too and she was an amazing trainwreck and would loudly tell her cube neighbours about her exploits at the club and would get extremely raunchy sexual stories. They liked hearing it though so she never got reported to HR as far as I know lol.

Just two people that it was amazing they can not only function in society but thrive!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

^^^ he was an analog IC engineer which at the time if you could find one with any track record of success you do anything to keep them happy. It’s like a real life wizard.

see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Widlar#Personality

(though that guy was actually productive)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

FuturePastNow posted:

My university's Internet in 2004 was via 6 T1 lines. I know this because my roommate figured how to overcome all of their attempts to stop him from using the entire connection for BitTorrent and was very proud

I just saw this and lol it almost describes me except it was 5 T1s at a small school

All i had to do was force encryption, it was very dumb

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

emdash posted:

I just saw this and lol it almost describes me except it was 5 T1s at a small school

All i had to do was force encryption, it was very dumb

lol all I had to do was use a port other than 443 or 80. Bittorrent at 6MB/s tanked the entire dorms internet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I knew a guy around 2000 who was the only person in his off campus housing with a computer. It was provisioned with a DS3. Suffice to say, he had some fun.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
It's been a month. How long would a third party investigation like the one with LTT normally take?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It's been a month. How long would a third party investigation like the one with LTT normally take?

More than a month.

For one thing, a third party investigation requires a third party, which means seeking out lawyers who do this sort of thing. I would guess those don't grow on trees, and bringing them onboard isn't just a phone call.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's a ton of context that has to be assembled, you have to figure out who you need to talk to and what you need to ask them, you need to schedule interviews with them at their convenience, you probably need to touch back with them as you put more together and come up with more relevant details to discern. If it were already done it would be a non-credible investigation.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

K8.0 posted:

There's a ton of context that has to be assembled, you have to figure out who you need to talk to and what you need to ask them, you need to schedule interviews with them at their convenience, you probably need to touch back with them as you put more together and come up with more relevant details to discern. If it were already done it would be a non-credible investigation.

Ah, I don't really have a point of reference like this aside from the one into now Supreme Court justice Kavanaugh, which was...hoo boy they didn't even pretend that one was for real.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMbak4nk0M

a really funny outcome of lian li's "illumination fan" daisy chain patent suit would be that more companies ditch rgb

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Overclocking the Switch is apparently a hot thing right now, but this is super cool. A mod intended to save broken Switches by turning them into TV only systems that can handle more stable overclocking. Something I could actually see myself doing once the next Switch is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3Li7T5_kY

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

njsykora posted:

Overclocking the Switch is apparently a hot thing right now, but this is super cool. A mod intended to save broken Switches by turning them into TV only systems that can handle more stable overclocking. Something I could actually see myself doing once the next Switch is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3Li7T5_kY

I was disappointed that it was using the standard heatsink and not a real big one.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I was disappointed that it was using the standard heatsink and not a real big one.

there's no real point, you hit power limits before you outrun the cooler. that's a cool way to save a switch with a dead screen but it won't actually make your switch any faster or help it overclock in any way, it never even comes close to thermal limits.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the newer switches overclock much better than the old ones, enough that they can run TOTK at a stable 60fps, but unfortunately there's no way to softmod those newer systems so you have to hardmod them

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

repiv posted:

the newer switches overclock much better than the old ones, enough that they can run TOTK at a stable 60fps, but unfortunately there's no way to softmod those newer systems so you have to hardmod them

TotK? I just knew about BotW, that is very impressive.

I'd like to mod mine just to get rid of the drat sharpening filter in TotK

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pyrotek posted:

TotK? I just knew about BotW, that is very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG0CDatcxsk

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

He really missed out on the chance for a good clickbait title like "There is a Switch Pro hidden inside every OLED model"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Lil bit of a dip for ol linus

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Harminoff posted:

But think of all the money he's saving on production costs!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Linus should rename the channel to 'Linus's Dump Tank' and have vendors try to hit a target that dumps Linus into moonshine or battery acid or something

He'd deffo get some views back

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harminoff posted:

little bit. I will be interested to see next month's numbers more, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That's gained views right? So 50m more views than last month still.