Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The FAST anti-piracy adverts, these fucken grasses man

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/antipiracy.htm

They may exist in a larger scale in some Archive.org computer mags of the time, I will keep an eye out as these here^^ seem to be the best the Internet has to offer.

stuart ashen did a presentation about this kind of thing a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd60nCBygg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i still wear this one

https://www.threadless.com/shop/%40threadless/design/av/mens/t-shirt/premium

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

loose cassette tape thread, slowly billowing through the abandoned parking lot until caught by tall grass growing through cracked asphalt

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the one thing 80s and 90s nostalgia movies and shows get wrong is the amount of loose unspooled cassette tape floating around the streets

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
in high school i had the 'i read your email' think geek dot com shirt which was funny because i also set up my school's email server

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i snuck a keylogger onto the librarian's computer and got the root pw to the novell network (it was her daughter's name, who was a fellow student)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

using net send to send messages to every computer in the school library

also there was a bug in windows 2000 where if you used the command prompt to make a new folder with a space in the name but used the unicode non breaking space character alt-255 instead, you couldn’t delete, move, or rename the resulting folder from windows, it would say the folder didn’t exist. you had to use the command line again to remove it manually by using the same unicode character. i made a lot of childish and vulgar folder names on the school’s computers

edit: ascii not unicode

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 18, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it was so easy to just guess teacher passwords. often their kids name, occasionally their kids name spelled backwords, then once i a while just 'password'

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

polyester concept posted:

using net send to send messages to every computer in the school library

also there was a bug in windows 2000 where if you used the command prompt to make a new folder with a space in the name but used the unicode non breaking space character alt-255 instead, you couldn’t delete, move, or rename the resulting folder from windows, it would say the folder didn’t exist. you had to use the command line again to remove it manually by using the same unicode character. i made a lot of childish and vulgar folder names on the school’s computers

so many illicit ftp servers took advantage of this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it was so easy to just guess teacher passwords. often their kids name, occasionally their kids name spelled backwords, then once i a while just 'password'

this was assuming your teacher didn't just have a post-it on their desk with the password on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

my friend was typing in his user name and then password and I hit the end enter key during
password, it immediately failed, and prompted for the username, which he typed his password into as he was not looking at the screen

the password was startrek which was a funny joke because no one liked startrek

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you randomly hit the enter key all the time so that tracks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

you randomly hit the enter key all the time so that tracks

lol

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

tivo lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

polyester concept posted:

the one thing 80s and 90s nostalgia movies and shows get wrong is the amount of loose unspooled cassette tape floating around the streets

Also cigarette butts. People still smoke now, obviously, but kids today have no idea just how goddamn many cigarette buts were just strewn everywhere during the entire 20th century

also chewing gum on the sidewalks everywhere

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I once found a tape in my parents' yard that had Billy Joel's "in the middle of the night" and Nine Inch Nails "closer" on it and nothing else. id play it from time to time in my moms minivan

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

that banned dude who was posting using webtv

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arson Daily posted:

I once found a tape in my parents' yard that had Billy Joel's "in the middle of the night" and Nine Inch Nails "closer" on it and nothing else. id play it from time to time in my moms minivan

I made a tape that only had “rock n roll” from daft punks homework on loop on both sides. that song rules

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

every few years my dad asks me if i want his old tivo

it was my tivo that i gave to him in like 2005

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I made a tape that only had “rock n roll” from daft punks homework on loop on both sides. that song rules

that owns

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Leperflesh posted:

Also cigarette butts. People still smoke now, obviously, but kids today have no idea just how goddamn many cigarette buts were just strewn everywhere during the entire 20th century

cigarette butts, old style detachable can ringpulls, broken glass, and dog poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sweevo posted:

cigarette butts, old style detachable can ringpulls, broken glass, and dog poo poo

occasionally, chaw. it used to be quite the item where i grew up since i remember the grocery store i worked at had a relatively large selection to match the cigarette cartons. though it took that long for me to figure out what prince albert in a can was :doh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

those amazon buttons with like the tide logo on them that connected to wifi. you wre supposed to stick one on your washer and when you ran out of laundry detergent you'd press it and it would auto order the associated product.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Sagebrush posted:

those amazon buttons with like the tide logo on them that connected to wifi. you wre supposed to stick one on your washer and when you ran out of laundry detergent you'd press it and it would auto order the associated product.

you can get them for trojan condoms too. utilization unknown but probably similar to the rest!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

crazysim posted:

you can get them for trojan condoms too. utilization unknown but probably similar to the rest!

i press a massive button i use for my magnum dong

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

you could also get blank ones to associate with any product on amazon, so of course some youtubers got them and assigned them to order a laptop

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they had those for everything lol. i had ordered a 24 pack or 16 or something of redbull from prime now once and one of those was thrown in. i don't really remember what i did with it but i'm pretty sure i never used it and probably took it apart to see how it worked

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
speaking of, prime now. 2 hour delivery lol

it was really good but crazy exploitative i guess. probably killed off by covid, i think the last time i used it was 2019 but it got me out of a jam when i needed a laptop quick

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like when theres a common household product and its on subscribe and save, but then when it auto reorders its at some absolutely insane price

like its shampoo for $4 but then suddenly the next time it orders its $267 and you just see 1 star reviews for that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

drat echi you invented the original "10 hour version"

Sweevo posted:

come to London I have some nostalgia for you!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sweevo posted:

the four food groups

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
smdh at ratposting on main

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Sweevo posted:

Shards of broken cds

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

smdh at ratposting on main

what

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sweevo posted:

julie_andrews_frown.gif

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the four gender’s

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

welcome to Sweden, we have gross snus pouches littered everywhere.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Sagebrush posted:

Buddy of mine was obsessed with orange Sunkist soda and goldfish crackers back in college and I regret not buying him buttons for those two things.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i made up a new style of posting like a rat called ratposting and then made up the backstory that it was a shameful indulgence to be done in private and then made that post shaming someone for posting like a rat on main; another great post by me, corolla blumpkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmmm