Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
The given is that no matter what happens it will be handled in the worst possible way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

The given is that no matter what happens it will be handled in the worst possible way

Correct, that is the way of orange

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The right move is to turn pol into a test rider so naturally they will instead cancel miller's contract, pass over Fernandez and further poison the well

Yeah it’s this

ROFLBOT posted:

Can’t disagree.

Can you have more than one rider eligible for wildcards? Lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Afaik each manufacturer is entitled to x amount of wildcards so you can split them between different riders but I could be wrong

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ROFLBOT posted:

Acosta to MotoGP (by assumption because Oncu and Vietti have just been given seats in Moto2)

Fun times ahead at KTM MotoGP!
Good moves for both. I'm not a fan of Oncu, but there's no mistake that he's a hell of a rider this year.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I just want Fabio on an Aprilia

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I just want Fabio on an Aprilia

If those happened it would be the first time I'll have orgasmed to a press release

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Seems like a lot of the staff have not gotten visas yet but the track is kinda sorta ready I guess?

https://x.com/denkmit/status/1703859404116783392?s=20

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Make every rider have to be their own mechanic, like in the older school TT races.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Franky to Pramac!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone is gonna crash and get seriously injured because the riders won't have the balls to take collective action

Morbidelli has failed upwards into a pramac seat, the benchmark is can he do better than Alex

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought maybe homologation was just a formality at this point, but I'm not getting that vibe from the article.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol we have had 'homologated' circuits that still ended up with peeling pavement and all kinds of poo poo, it barely means anything. The FIM pretend they're a high level professional organization like the FIA but they're really just three mice wearing a human suit

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Simon Patterson always seems like a bit of a knob to me, and I think he lives in a van or something. just a bit odd in my opinion. F1 raced there for a few years in the 2010s so unless the circuit has changed materially in the interim I'm not sure homologation is going to be a huge issue unless there is a motorcycle specific thing which didn't get addressed. everything I've read online has suggested the bigger issue is everyone getting visas for the event.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The motorcycle specific thing is all the walls adjacent to the track yes

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

everything I've read online has suggested the bigger issue is everyone getting visas for the event.

Slavvy posted:

The motorcycle specific thing is all the walls adjacent to the track yes

Por que no los dos?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Stick the visas onto walls and the riders have to ride by close enough to grab it like a tear off. The more you grab, the more of your mechanics/engineers get to participate in your race weekend.

More seriously, I’m surprised the FIM is so bad at greasing palms. FIA would have a visa slip n slide by now.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 19, 2023

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

Stick the visas onto walls and the riders have to ride by close enough to grab it like a tear off. The more you grab, the more of your mechanics/engineers get to participate in your race weekend.

More seriously, I’m surprised the FIM is so bad at greasing palms. FIA would have a visa slip n slide by now.

Nah F1 had their visas all hosed up back when they ran there too.

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-rosberg-denied-visa-for-indian-gp-report/2586277/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Color me surprised.

Looking forward to the mess this weekend.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

a high level professional organization like the FIA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know anything about car racing :shrug:

F1 seems to have their poo poo together despite having awful racing compared to GP, that's what I was basing that on

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FIA is great at the top but is a shitshow for anything below F1, and the general rule of thumb largely seems to be as long as they aren't broadcasting a death on the F1 TV feed its fine.

Case in point that Spa corner that killed an F2 driver didn't get changed until the circuit wanted motorbikes to race there and then the FIM insisted on changing it after like three years of the FIA doing gently caress all. I could go on a whole rant on safety in kart racing and some of the bullshit I've seen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember some rumblings of motogp going to spa a couple of years ago but as far as I remember the changes weren't considered big enough to make it possible

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANVJYR4GIG0

:wth:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does spa actually produce good motorcycle racing in other classes? They have that endurance race there but yawn endurance racing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I remember some rumblings of motogp going to spa a couple of years ago but as far as I remember the changes weren't considered big enough to make it possible

Spa is pretty dangerous for cars, I’d be surprised if they took MotoGP there, but my knowledge of MotoGP inner workings is not good, so :iiam: and I might be wrong

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looking at the Belgian motorcycle Grand Prix page on Wikipedia, they ran it in the old layout from 1949 and all the way up to 1990, but then it was dropped from the calendar.

There is a possibility in the future:
Improvements to the circuit to make it suitable for motorcycle racing were made in autumn 2021 in time for the 2022 endurance season, and the Spa 24 Hours motorcycle race debuted at Spa in June 2022. It is unknown if Spa or another Belgian circuit will apply for MotoGP.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
You’d have to drop another European circuit from the calendar to add Spa, and why? Belgium’s not a big market and those fans are already pretty well served by races in nearby countries.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
No series that races at Spa cares about the Belgium market alone, not when the Netherlands and Germany are both like 30km away with a combined population of 100m people. They would have zero issues filling every seat they could make available

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 21, 2023

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ROFLBOT posted:

No series that races at Spa cares about the Belgium market alone, not when the Netherlands and Germany are both like 30km away with a combined population of 100m people. They would have zero issues filling every seat they could make available

Sure, but Dornas whole thing the last few years has been to move into new markets like Thailand and now India. France, the Netherlands, and Germany already have established races that are well-attended, so why add another circuit there? Or replace an existing successful round?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If they go to spa it would be for the historical glory and the resultant bump in tv and digital spectators

Nobody outside of Thailand really cares whether the Thai gp happens or not but everyone wants to see mugello, assen etc and spa would come under the latter category

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

If they go to spa it would be for the historical glory and the resultant bump in tv and digital spectators

Nobody outside of Thailand really cares whether the Thai gp happens or not but everyone wants to see mugello, assen etc and spa would come under the latter category

These are my thoughts pretty much.

Although I just don't like the idea of any rider coming off at certain points of that track so sadly I don't think it's at all safe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lotta carnage in the sprint, mir looking great before embarrassing himself

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

him picking up the bike by the exhaust kinda sums up his season tbh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao yeah I wonder how badly he got burned doing that

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol that last lap in Moto3

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Great last lap of the moto2 as well

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
great race, happy for Bez

lol at seeing Martin after the last lap and still thinking his leathers accidentally unzipped

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
An American beat Sergio Garcia? What is this, the 1999 PGA Championship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

echomadman posted:

lol that last lap in Moto3
Moto3 always delivers, what a crazy finish

Also, here is the key clip from the weekend
https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1705952148108832957