Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Calax posted:

Corran banged a beaver, not a "dog-cat-cow" person with hair that "ripples"

Excuse me, rippled indicating polite disbelief. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1694386550732140678?t=nfuq_dDIbogG9eCVMCATjw&s=19

Get the gently caress in, boys, we're gonna steal the death star plans.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slightly upset they didn’t update the Kyle Katarn look. But still cool to see!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

Slightly upset they didn’t update the Kyle Katarn look. But still cool to see!

He did get uprezzed at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b9TTurkH4c
But still lacks the beard of power.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1694386550732140678?t=nfuq_dDIbogG9eCVMCATjw&s=19

Get the gently caress in, boys, we're gonna steal the death star plans.

gently caress yeah

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't like the look of the Vader close-up when he's talking, but the first shot of him on the bridge looks really good. It's almost like instead of 2D sprites in a 3D environment, they've gone for 2D photos in a 3D environment.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

John Jackson Miller is doing his first Star Wars novel in a decade, a pre-TPM Jedi Council story:

https://gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-living-force-book-reveal-jedi-council-1850810565

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dang, that's an interesting premise for a book alright.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A New Dawn was decent, but Kenobi is an absolutely top tier novel. The premise of this new one is probably the most interesting one for a SW novel in a long time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Casimir Radon posted:

A New Dawn was decent, but Kenobi is an absolutely top tier novel. The premise of this new one is probably the most interesting one for a SW novel in a long time.

How has he written Qui-Gon before? Because Qui-Gon being at odds with the council is fine, but I feel like enough media doesn't want to acknowledge the fact he's still a prophecy brained eugenics nut who takes a child away from his mother despite there being literally thousands of way he could take both of them. Like, the mythology of Qui-Gon is at odds with the reality of the lovely person we meet in Phantom Menace.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah the image people have of Qui-Gonn doesn't really match with what we see. The first notable thing hr does in TPM is to tell Obi-Wan to ignore the bigger threat working behind the scenes. He's not wise, he's wilfully blind.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 8, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's just a Space Libertarian. He's correct that the system is hosed, but he is 100% wrong about the how and why of that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

What's kind of interesting about Qui-Gon is that in the early drafts of the script, he didn't meet up with Obi-Wan until they all got to Coruscant. Later drafts moved him to the beginning of the movie so Obi-Wan would have someone to talk to before running into Jar Jar, and most of the stuff Qui-Gon actually does in the film was originally written for Obi-Wan.

One exception is the specifics surrounding the bet. In the Obi-Wan draft, Shmi is the one who suggests that the Jedi should take Anakin away for training as a way to get him out of a life of slavery. Obi-Wan then tries to get Watto to free both of them if Anakin wins the podrace, but he refuses to let Shmi go. Watto also plans to reneg on the deal to hand over Anakin, until Obi-Wan threatens/bluffs that he'll get the Hutts involved and take them both anyway.

So the stuff about Qui-Gon manipulating a dice roll in order to get his preferred slave is a character trait that's unique to him, which says a lot about how Lucas saw him compared to Obi-Wan.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Robot Style posted:

What's kind of interesting about Qui-Gon is that in the early drafts of the script, he didn't meet up with Obi-Wan until they all got to Coruscant. Later drafts moved him to the beginning of the movie so Obi-Wan would have someone to talk to before running into Jar Jar, and most of the stuff Qui-Gon actually does in the film was originally written for Obi-Wan.

One exception is the specifics surrounding the bet. In the Obi-Wan draft, Shmi is the one who suggests that the Jedi should take Anakin away for training as a way to get him out of a life of slavery. Obi-Wan then tries to get Watto to free both of them if Anakin wins the podrace, but he refuses to let Shmi go. Watto also plans to reneg on the deal to hand over Anakin, until Obi-Wan threatens/bluffs that he'll get the Hutts involved and take them both anyway.

So the stuff about Qui-Gon manipulating a dice roll in order to get his preferred slave is a character trait that's unique to him, which says a lot about how Lucas saw him compared to Obi-Wan.

Hmm, that's interesting. I got a book from the library when I was a kid that had a bunch of drafts of the OT, but I've never had a look at the PT ones. As underwritten as it is sometimes, I do like the dynamic of Obi-Wan being by the book and his master being the one who plays a little fast and loose with the rules.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah the image people have of Qui-Gonn doesn't really match with what we see. The first notable thing hr does in TPM is to tell Obi-Wan to ignore the bigger threat working behind the scenes. He's not wise, he's wilfully blind.

The movie certainly tells you that Qui-Gon is special in some way, with how he's at odds with the Council in some matters and how he's the first one (?) to figure out how to be a Force ghost, but him being really cavalier about slavery on Tatooine is such a damning indictment of him as a character it's impossible to assign him any special vision or wisdom. Qui-Gon ought to be arguing that they should stay on Tatooine to fix things there, that the Force brought them there for a reason, against the wishes of everybody else on the ship. You don't have to actually have him stay there, maybe the Darth Maul attack means he ends up having to flee with them, but he needs to broach the idea.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Next wave of the Essential Legends reprints have been leaked: Imperial Commando: 501st, X-wing: Iron Fist, and surprisingly the Lando Calrissian Adventures.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm interested in two of those things. I might be softer on the Republic Commando books than most, but 501st is still crap thanks to the residual pissing match between Traviss and Denning trying to kill each others pet characters and then nuh-uh-ing the results. It's only slightly better than Order 66 because Arligan Zey finally grows a spine and tells Skirata's Mandalorians to gently caress themselves for their holier than thou attitude. That's a degree of self reflection I never expected from Traviss, but it doesn't salvage the rest of the book.

Plus I still have my copy of 501st and don't need a reprint while I need a copy of Iron Fist and the Lando books.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am pretty sure they already reprinted the Lando books as Legends. I think that's the copy I got even.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Next wave of the Essential Legends reprints have been leaked: Imperial Commando: 501st, X-wing: Iron Fist, and surprisingly the Lando Calrissian Adventures.

oh gently caress yeah. got some audible credits for that poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

i took him as kinda of a guy who is up his own rear end about the "living force" and letting everything land how it lands and all that poo poo unless HE wants it to change. in both canons(i believe) qui gon has been through alot of poo poo and i think thats made him cyncle about the galaxy but not in the edgy sense. more that "well life is life and the system is hosed, but you can do small actions to make things better, etc" i think the council respects him because he does good work and is just well liked, sure he thinks they are stuck up assholes and he refused their offers to join, but he stuck around and put in good work and seniority counts.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

As underwritten as it is sometimes, I do like the dynamic of Obi-Wan being by the book and his master being the one who plays a little fast and loose with the rules.

Those early drafts also apparently had a running gag where Obi-Wan kept trying to quote Republic laws and regulations at droids to get them to stand down, only to be shot at every time.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Hmm, that's interesting. I got a book from the library when I was a kid that had a bunch of drafts of the OT, but I've never had a look at the PT ones. As underwritten as it is sometimes, I do like the dynamic of Obi-Wan being by the book and his master being the one who plays a little fast and loose with the rules.

The movie certainly tells you that Qui-Gon is special in some way, with how he's at odds with the Council in some matters and how he's the first one (?) to figure out how to be a Force ghost, but him being really cavalier about slavery on Tatooine is such a damning indictment of him as a character it's impossible to assign him any special vision or wisdom. Qui-Gon ought to be arguing that they should stay on Tatooine to fix things there, that the Force brought them there for a reason, against the wishes of everybody else on the ship. You don't have to actually have him stay there, maybe the Darth Maul attack means he ends up having to flee with them, but he needs to broach the idea.

“They blow you up if you try to escape and the guy controlling the bomb can’t be mindtricked” is a pretty strong scifi way of Lucas handwaving by GM fiat that Shmi can’t be rescued.

But I agree Qui-Gon being different from the other Jedi is mostly told rather than shown. The biggest difference we see on screen is him saying he’ll train Anakin no matter what. But a lot is left blank.

To the point (posted by someone earlier) that Qui-Gon has less foresight than Obi-Wan, maybe, maybe not. The Jedi’s downfall is tying themselves to the Republic. You could write Qui-Gon type Jedi as using Deus ex living Force to avoid all that: “The Force is telling us to be wandering monks working its will through good deeds but withdrawn from the political struggles that the Republic will have to figure out for itself.” No insight into Sith intrigues required if you’re removed from the intrigues. Of course then we’d have a very different set of movies.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 12, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

yronic heroism posted:

To the point (posted by someone earlier) that Qui-Gon has less foresight than Obi-Wan, maybe, maybe not. The Jedi’s downfall is tying themselves to the Republic. You could write Qui-Gon type Jedi as using Deus ex living Force to avoid all that: “The Force is telling us to be wandering monks working its will through good deeds but withdrawn from the political struggles that the Republic will have to figure out for itself.” No insight into Sith intrigues required if you’re removed from the intrigues. Of course then we’d have a very different set of movies.

I always thought it was kind of clever that for all the Jedi warned about attachment that they suffered from having a huge one to the Republic. Had they not been seen as just a tool of Republic leadership they might actually have been able to mediate between the government and the nascent Separatist factions; instead the prequels make it pretty clear they're seen as the fist of said government when they show up. Qui-Gon to me felt like somebody who could deal with attachments not by fleeing them but by knowing how to truly let go of them, rather than be terrified he might grab one. He was a "rogue" element because he was able to detach himself from the rules when the rules didn't do the right thing. That skill in being able to detach rather than just avoid attachment would certainly have done Anakin well if he had learned it (he was certainly a little late to avoid all attachment like a Jedi raised from birth). Also probably gave Qui-Gon a head start on the appearing after death thing to be able to release himself from the basic attachments to life/identity most Jedi probably had without even recognizing them as attachments.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Robot Style posted:

Those early drafts also apparently had a running gag where Obi-Wan kept trying to quote Republic laws and regulations at droids to get them to stand down, only to be shot at every time.

i actually like that, it would probably be over played but it would be a nice little "the republic is loving corrupt joke" and obi wan was under used in TPM, him being a by the book type kid who quotes the jedi rule book while qui gon is just "bye book".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Anyone else expecting that when Ahsoka ends they'll drop an announcement of a Zahn book detailing what the gently caress Thrawn did in those ten years of exile?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyone else expecting that when Ahsoka ends they'll drop an announcement of a Zahn book detailing what the gently caress Thrawn did in those ten years of exile?

I think there’s no chance they’ll let anyone touch that if there’s a chance Filoni will do an animated show about it in five years.

Watching the latest episode also made me laugh at the people who were 100% convinced that it was going to build off the new Zahn novels and their take on Thrawn in the Unknown Regions.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sorry to double post, but the latest Ahsoka also made me wonder, since I've stopped following a lot of the details of the new EU over the last few years. In the new canon is there still a difference between the Nightsisters and Witches of Dathomir like in the old EU, or do they just refer to the same group now? Also, were there human Nightsisters depicted in the new canon prior to the woman from Ahsoka? I thought they were supposed to all be Ventress aliens?

I also realized I don't really get how their new origin story fits with them supposedly being the same race as Zabraks. I guess they settled Zabrak planet on their way to Dathomir?

It's still really funny to me that we live in a time where multiple live-action Star Wars productions have referenced Courtship of Princess Leia.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Sorry to double post, but the latest Ahsoka also made me wonder, since I've stopped following a lot of the details of the new EU over the last few years. In the new canon is there still a difference between the Nightsisters and Witches of Dathomir like in the old EU, or do they just refer to the same group now? Also, were there human Nightsisters depicted in the new canon prior to the woman from Ahsoka? I thought they were supposed to all be Ventress aliens?

I also realized I don't really get how their new origin story fits with them supposedly being the same race as Zabraks. I guess they settled Zabrak planet on their way to Dathomir?

It's been far too long since I've watched Clone Wars, but anything said in that is canon. I don't really remember where all of the Nightsister lore comes from, but I think most of it comes from that, yes?

Chairman Capone posted:

It's still really funny to me that we live in a time where multiple live-action Star Wars productions have referenced Courtship of Princess Leia.

I definitely agree there. Dave Wolverton came up with a (very cool) idea for Force Witches, and here we are.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Watching the latest episode also made me laugh at the people who were 100% convinced that it was going to build off the new Zahn novels and their take on Thrawn in the Unknown Regions.

It's probably for the best that Filoni opted to sidestep those books entirely by making the main action set in another galaxy rather than run roughshod over them with his own take as some feared he might

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thrawn527 posted:

It's been far too long since I've watched Clone Wars, but anything said in that is canon. I don't really remember where all of the Nightsister lore comes from, but I think most of it comes from that, yes?
Yeah lots of it is from there. Some is from Fallen Order and Merrin (from the games) is about as human-looking as Morgan Elsbeth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Merrin is a Zabrak. She’s just not all stylized like the ones in TCW.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Female Dathomirian Zabraks (left) did not have horns, while Iridonian ones did (right)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Chairman Capone posted:

In the old canon, prior to The Clone Wars, the Nightsisters are one clan of the many that make up the collective Witches of Dathomir. The clans exiled those who used the dark side to fuel their magic and those exiles united into their own clan and named themselves the Nightsisters.

The Clones Wars overrode this and made Nightsister and Witches of Dathomir synonymous.

I do not believe Human Nightsisters have been shown to the new canon until now. The Nightsisters seem to be comprised of three species Humans, Zabraks, and Dathomirians. The latter in the new canon are a subspecies of Zabraks. The old canon had them be a result of Human-Zabrak relations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thinking about it, it's also kind of funny that for as much as some people complain about Jedi surviving Order 66, we've now also seen quite a few Nightsisters survive what was supposed to be their total destruction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't keep that sad devotion ancient religions down for long.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Thinking about it, it's also kind of funny that for as much as some people complain about Jedi surviving Order 66, we've now also seen quite a few Nightsisters survive what was supposed to be their total destruction.

Not that many, though. Merrin and Morgan, sure. And the three Mothers here, but they were in another galaxy, can't exactly fault GG for that one.

Am I missing any?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

thrawn527 posted:

Not that many, though. Merrin and Morgan, sure. And the three Mothers here, but they were in another galaxy, can't exactly fault GG for that one.

Am I missing any?

Asajj and Mother Talzin

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Asajj and Mother Talzin

Oh sorry, I figured OP meant still around "now". Grevious eventually killed Talzin, right? And Asajj died in that one book that was based off the Clone Wars unused scripts. But yeah, I guess they both survived the Massacre.

That's still only 7. A lot more Jedi than that survived. There's probably more Alderaanians kicking around the galaxy than that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's also Jerserra from the Fantasy Flight RPG story Ghosts of Dathomir, from the Nardithi Nightsisters

Found and trained by an Inquisitor, she eventually killed her and became a mercenary

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

OhFunny posted:

In the old canon, prior to The Clone Wars, the Nightsisters are one clan of the many that make up the collective Witches of Dathomir. The clans exiled those who used the dark side to fuel their magic and those exiles united into their own clan and named themselves the Nightsisters.

The Clones Wars overrode this and made Nightsister and Witches of Dathomir synonymous.

I do not believe Human Nightsisters have been shown to the new canon until now. The Nightsisters seem to be comprised of three species Humans, Zabraks, and Dathomirians. The latter in the new canon are a subspecies of Zabraks. The old canon had them be a result of Human-Zabrak relations.
Okay so it's even more complex and stupid than this.

First there's Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, in 1985. Basically filmed with B-roll of RotJ. The witch in that, Charal, is retconned to be a Nightsister in 1995, after The Courtship of Princess Leia has come out and established that random force witches exist. She looks pretty much human.

Then in 1999, Darth Maul shows up, along with random background Jedi characters. The species is named "Zabrak" and "Iridonian" and eventually it was decided that Iridonia was the planet that Zabraks came from.

Then the Genndy Tartakovsky show is made, and introduces Asajj Ventress. The species is named "Rattataki" because she can't just be a bald human with tattoos.

So the Clone Wars shows up, and they decide that she's actually a Dathomiran Nightsister who ended up being some Jedi's padawan, that lad got himself deaded on Rattatak and she was captured by slavers eventually being sold to Dooku, so now her "homeworld" is Rattatak, but she's a Dathomiran originally. What are Dathomirans? Well they're humans. Mostly...

See Dooku needed another assassin, so he went to where... he didn't know poo poo about Sheev getting Maul from. Somehow. He finds Maul's brother, and for a hot minute it looks like the Nightsisters are keeping Zabrak slaves for some reason, but nah, we have to get weird with this poo poo because Star Wars. Turns out that "Dathomiran" is now a species and they just happen to have huge sexual dimorphism (like Devaronians I guess?) and by sheer coincidence the males look like Zabraks and the females look like Rattataki. But Zabraks and Rattatki still exist. Because of course they do.

AND THEN someone goes "that's loving stupid" and retcons it so that they're actually Zabraks and humans (who just happen to favour facial tattoos and hair styles that make them look like Rattataki...), and that due to "genetics or some poo poo" all the males are mostly Zabrak, and all the females are mostly human.

And now, after all that bullshit, it turns out that the Dathomirans are from some other bullshit planet and are still calling themselves "Dathomiran" for reasons that are probably also loving stupid. TBH it's kind of impressive that Filoni managed to make that clusterfuck even worse.

Oh also, Rancors are native to Dathomir and they're super smart. Everyone forgets that bit.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, remember how hopeful we all were in 2014 after the Legends split? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, they really did just wholesale import dumb poo poo and run with it, but to some extent this was baked in by accepting Clone Wars as canon.