Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"surface laptop studio 2" lol oh wait that's a real one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

bring back the good surface satya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1O917o4jI

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

These guys were so close to figuring it out, but chose the dumbest form factor imaginable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

These guys were so close to figuring it out, but chose the dumbest form factor imaginable.

figuring what out? moving your whole arm around over a huge area is a terrible idea in general [although flat is way better than out in the air] and there's only a few actual gestures so the interaction is super limited

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the third week of my current job some microsoft guy tried to pawn this industrial garbage off on me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

figuring what out? moving your whole arm around over a huge area is a terrible idea in general [although flat is way better than out in the air] and there's only a few actual gestures so the interaction is super limited

you missed this part:

quote:

but chose the dumbest form factor imaginable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what is a less dumb form factor for this technology?

e: lol they just can't let it go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxasUd908k

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

do these still require a full office365 license for anything to be functional ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

do these still require a full office365 license for anything to be functional ?

they require a teams room license, yeah.

so do all the other "teams" devices that are literally that same thing, but made by 3rd parties

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you can spend $16k on a tv with a built in webcam and mic, and then you get to pay $20/mo. in perpetuity because all it is is a cheap embedded computer running android and the teams app

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

love see the hidden IT closet with like 900k of bricked presentation gear in it they can't bear to throw away because it's only like 4 years old

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

phones and tablets?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

love see the hidden IT closet with like 900k of bricked presentation gear in it they can't bear to throw away because it's only like 4 years old

the previous iteration of a company i work for now spent something like $30k on a cisco video conferencing system in the early 2000s that never once worked right, to the point that they just gave up trying to use it after about 3 months.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A screen that can see and react to everything that is placed on it using an infrared camera is a neat concept and I'm surprised it hasn't really been tried by anyone else, I'm guessing microsoft is sitting on all the patents for it.

Maybe it would have been more successful if they hadn't launched it with a $10k price tag at the peak of the 2008 financial crisis.

All the new surfaces can only detect fingers and pens so they are clearly inferior products.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

this absolutely exists at my workplace lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
surface will always fail because it's not as big or easy or as functional as a loving dry erase whiteboard

youd think a 60inch one would be okay in even a small room meeting but it's not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, but there's a whiteboard app!

you can share your whiteboards via teams!

they can also just disappear into the aether!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

these devices were invented to stop people from drawing with permanent markers on the whiteboard all the drat time, but it just resulted in people drawing on the $60k display with permanent marker instead

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

surface will always fail because it's not as big or easy or as functional as a loving dry erase whiteboard

youd think a 60inch one would be okay in even a small room meeting but it's not

we have some also-ran all over at work and nobody uses them

r u ready to WALK posted:

these devices were invented to stop people from drawing with permanent markers on the whiteboard all the drat time, but it just resulted in people drawing on the $60k display with permanent marker instead

lol not only has this happened, but now people write on windows and meeting room glass wall

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

qirex posted:

our office has just been refurbed this month & I think we've been given a couple of these.
dunno if anyone's actually used them. everybody just dials into meetings from home.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

phones and tablets?
yeah

microsoft and apple both developed sophisticated multitouch interfaces

microsoft put theirs on an $8000 cocktail table and sold dozens

apple put theirs on a $500 smartphone and became the worlds first $3 trillion company

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

started chredge and got this bullshit notification

there's really only one way to respond

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

lmao i love the modern microsoft

my current teams experience

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what you've got there is a classic whoopsie leading to a fucky wucky, it'll cost fixing that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that would make a great av for somebody you don't like

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah its all web "developer" horseshit

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mfw I’m a team zissou crew member and I have a bad thought

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

god I hate that illustration style. it's like normcore peter max

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's like where's Waldo by a colorblind person

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

[brace belden voice] memphis corporate style hentai

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

on that note, a hail mary technical question:

in MS Teams, does anyone know a way to count how many channels and how many chats you have across all of your org's teams? Or maybe how many messages are being posted to them over a period of time?

e: actually I can see analytics on how many messages, and channel counts per team, but not seeing much on chat counts or chat message counts

ee: in case anyone digs this up in a search the best answer i've found is to look in the usage reports in Microsoft 365 rather than Azure or Teams itself. Still no count of how many chats are present in your teams instances.

Truman Peyote fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 22, 2023

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you really need it for some reason you could use the graph api to iterate thru every user in your tenant to get their list of chats. idk how useful that is compared to the total message counts in the Teams User Activity report (which you can also get directly from the graph if you wanna automate it)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

no, this is for sales estimating. i'm looking for something that the customer can pull up themselves without authenticating an app. thanks for the suggesiton, though.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

god I hate that illustration style. it's like normcore peter max

lol that's going to stick around in my head for a while

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

no, this is for sales estimating. i'm looking for something that the customer can pull up themselves without authenticating an app. thanks for the suggesiton, though.

ah, yeah idk of any way to get that other than the graph. maybe theres something in the compliance portal but you'd likely have to setup audit policies to get the information you want.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im sure the teams product managers are still really angry that chats exist outside of teams/channels so they probably dont want to acknowledge them anywhere

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

qirex posted:

The cycle of conference room equipment:

Buy new thing
Demand it be installed IMMEDITAELY THIS IS AN EXECUTIVE REQUEST
Stand by the entire meeting in case the big bad equipment does a scary
Handhold them 10 times that year to show a powerpoint. URGENT REQUEST
New thing is bought
Repeat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

apparently teams thinks im in thailand, taiwan, or mozambique

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wonder if its stupid ai unable to recognize my plain danish.name@gmail.com login