Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Ofecks posted:

Have there ever been any strip-mahjong games that feature penises as the player's prize for winning?

There exists no universe with Japan and not ‘strip-mahjong games that feature penises as the player's prize for winning’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know, Super Metroid is like $200-$400 cib now... Also Pokemon games. I get pretty annoyed when some common million+ selling game is $100+.

He’s not exactly wrong but it took something to say that and post a pic of chrono trigger. Also points for the beanie baby insight. The back of gamestop was like a pick&pull e-cycler full of 8 and 16 bit poo poo going for less than a big mac. Just imagine scooping up copies of chrono trigger when people were cashing in their unplayed 16 bit stuff for PS/2 money.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
More limited edition pockets Friday. Cool?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Internet Old One posted:

There exists no universe with Japan and not ‘strip-mahjong games that feature penises as the player's prize for winning’

Oh?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Waltzing Along posted:

More limited edition pockets Friday. Cool?

Ooh, those translucent ones are sick. I might actually take a crack at getting one.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I set my alarm, but I have my doubts on my ability to be slamming f5 at the right time to make the purple one mine.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Internet Old One posted:

He’s not exactly wrong but it took something to say that and post a pic of chrono trigger. Also points for the beanie baby insight. The back of gamestop was like a pick&pull e-cycler full of 8 and 16 bit poo poo going for less than a big mac. Just imagine scooping up copies of chrono trigger when people were cashing in their unplayed 16 bit stuff for PS/2 money.

Rpgs were always mega niche. It really wasn't till FF7 that it became a big genre. I'd really be interested in seeing sales numbers in the US/CAN of them in the 8-16 bit days versus your average sports game or licensed Acclaim crapfest.

Now add in that my Chrono Trigger and FF3 are both boxed n complete, something most games aren't on platforms where the boxes weren't plastic or acrylic keep case types. (And even then many people threw out the cases or manuals just cuz dumb kid or space is an issue so let's throw all the cds into a disk wallet!)

Plus games that are now utterly beloved while not huge hits in the time?

It'll absolutely add to the "value". But there are a variety of factors in play and rarity is only one. Otherwise a Tandy Color Computer Ultima clone (Gates of Delirium) would have gone for far more than the 220 loose but complete it did last week. Like the Coco was functionally a non entity of a machine with a niche of a fanbase. If it was just pure rarity the game should have sold at much higher a price than 220. (I understand its kinda mediocre so quality isn't gonna be a factor here..)

Condition, genre, platform, rarity, notability, the people collecting on the platform.... all of it can matter at making games cost idiotic amounts.

Also I wish to thank whoever mad lads or ladettes decided to translate Dungeon Master Nexus on the Saturn. Been wanting to try that one out for years. (Please make the ps1 Ultima Underworld your next project thanks I love you!)

Friggin Japanese gamers n publishers showing more love n respect for western RPGs than we do!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Der-Wreck posted:

Completed my childhood Genesis game trilogy today by getting a copy of Tinhead! These were 3 games I owned (besides Sonic) and I thought they would be fun to have for nostalgia’s sake.

To play on the other hand…
:shepface:

I always thought Genesis games had the best box art.

Internet Old One posted:

Kid me should've bought every copy of Earthbound that my local Best Buy was selling for $10 around 1997.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

okay, since you all love youtubers who used to write for video game websites, here's a podcast about podcasters who used to used to write for video game websites, including their own! 2002 is retro!

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

rdbbb posted:

okay, since you all love youtubers who used to write for video game websites, here's a podcast about podcasters who used to used to write for video game websites, including their own! 2002 is retro!

Oh hey, Alex also runs a "used video game store" in Nagoya, Japan called CRITICAL*HIT where you can also play retro games and drink beers. Don't call it a video game bar though or Nintendo will get pissy and try to shut it down again(No joke).

If you ever find yourself in Nagoya, then go check it out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What's the easiest v1 GBA screen mod these days? Friend gave me his old spare one. I'll probably get a new shell too because it's a bit filthy, and also the white one so it stains real well lol

Daddys hot grill posted:

If you ever find yourself in Nagoya, then go check it out.

Right off the belt line!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kirbysuperstar posted:

What's the easiest v1 GBA screen mod these days? Friend gave me his old spare one. I'll probably get a new shell too because it's a bit filthy, and also the white one so it stains real well lol

Right off the belt line!

https://handheldlegend.com/collections/game-boy-advance-gba

Though I'm not exactly sure what the best option is at the moment. Looks like now they have screens that are already attached to the front glass. When I did mine, it was really simple. The replacement shells are already modified to allow for screen replacements, so no dremel needed, unlike if you wanted to use an original shell.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The FunnyPlaying IPS V3 is a solder optional one, but it’s designed around their replacement shell. So good if you’re doing that as well but can get more than you want if you just want the screen changed. Though that combined with their USB-C battery mod does seem like the easiest “Ultimate build” of any of the handhelds.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I actually just grabbed a GBA off ebay a month or two ago and have a funnyplaying laminated ita kit in the mail hopefully arriving sometime this week. I went with their ITA over their IPS cause it's supposed to be closer to an AGS-101 screen and I don't like to stray that far from stock.

Also if you want to get deep in the weeds there's this resource: https://gbwiki.org/en/other/backlightmods.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Rubellavator posted:

I actually just grabbed a GBA off ebay a month or two ago and have a funnyplaying laminated ita kit in the mail hopefully arriving sometime this week. I went with their ITA over their IPS cause it's supposed to be closer to an AGS-101 screen and I don't like to stray that far from stock.

Also if you want to get deep in the weeds there's this resource: https://gbwiki.org/en/other/backlightmods.

And the writer of that wiki, Makho, also does incredibly in-depth (hour+ long) installation and testing videos of each kit on his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/makhobutnotthevillageingeorgia/videos

Personally i like the laminated Funnyplaying V3 kits as well, and I recommend picking up their buttons/pads as well to ensure the best fit on funnyplaying's custom cases.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found out that there's a crossover fighting game for the Simple series, the discount game line that ran through the PS1 and PS2 era that tended to be weirdly horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYexAfFTBt4&t=153s

If you don't recognize any of the characters, I wouldn't be shocked since very few of these games made it outside of Japan, though I did spot three characters whose games got western releases. The wildest being a soldier for E.D.F.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Internet Old One posted:

Nooooo they sold every copy of Chrono Trigger they made, likely sub 500k and not at discount. I wound up spending. $80 in 1995 money at toys r us
Given how Nintendo was all “Cash up front, but we manufacture everything.” with the publishers, it’s really only the true flops that might have wound up in a dumpster.

Genesis/Mega Drive? I don’t know about that. Handheld systems I can believe. They made a lot of shovelware, and original gameboy was ‘dead’ by 1994. Game Gear, likewise.

Still - I remember a bit about Nintendo being surprised that the 16-32 bit transition was happening so quickly

E:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Chrono_Trigger#Sales_figures
289,000 of Chrono Trigger from a dead source on squares’s page. Likely just one print run and that’s it. They really don’t share figures. It’s rare enough given the demand.

I’d put something like Harvest Moon as “Mega Niche”.

I’m not surprised about Pokémon R / B / Y being in demand given how big Pokémon is and there’s a direct lineage from the current generation all the way back to Gameboy.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 26, 2023

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Yeah, Chrono Trigger only came out 2 months before the release of the Sega Saturn, and the Jaguar, 3DO, and CDI were already out as pseudo-32 bit systems. There were a bunch of SNES RPGs that Square didn't even bother to localize that were released in the next couple years. Mario RPG came out a few months before the launch of the N64, and probably only made it to the US due to being published by Nintendo. If you were someone that was saving up for the next gen system, there was no reason to drop $70-$90 on a SNES RPG at that time unless you were an early 90s Square fan. Apparently the latest games to get "Players Choice" reprints were DKC 3 and Yoshi's Island.

And yeah, I never saw any major RPG releases selling at a significant discount when new. Even when they were sold at used game stores like Funcoland in the late 90s and early 00's they still priced them closer to their original price. I think the only exception was Earthbound because Nintendo massively overprinted them and they took up 3x as much space as a regular game.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 26, 2023

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
The fact that FF4, FF6, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG never even came out in Europe until the various re-releases should say enough. Heck, Chrono Trigger only first arrived in Europe with the DS version in 2009. Localization for the French, Spanish and German markets most likely also played a role there.

However, we did get Secret of Mana, Lufia 2(Renamed to just Lufia and the only SNES game ever to get an official Dutch localization), Final Fantasy Adventure (Renamed Mystic Quest), Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (Renamed Mystic Quest Legend) and Terranigma.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Don't think I've seen this in here, someone on the dreamcast talk forums had managed to patch a few games that didn't have VGA 480p compatability to allow it -
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16508
Bangai O and Air Force Delta are the bigger names as well as both KoF 99s

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Captain Rufus posted:

Also I wish to thank whoever mad lads or ladettes decided to translate Dungeon Master Nexus on the Saturn. Been wanting to try that one out for years. (Please make the ps1 Ultima Underworld your next project thanks I love you!)

Good news!

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1706669227611247074

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Is there literally anything special about this version of underworld

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ya it’s finally received an English translation patch

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's on the Sony PlayStation.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ya it’s finally received an English translation patch

Allow me to rephrase: did they actually have to translate anything or could they just use the script from an extant English Underworld version

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

It appears the answer from romhacking.net is ‘no’
Good job entering data, data entry people

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Lol wow

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Coffee Jones posted:

Nooooo they sold every copy of Chrono Trigger they made, likely sub 500k and not at discount. I wound up spending. $80 in 1995 money at toys r us
Given how Nintendo was all “Cash up front, but we manufacture everything.” with the publishers, it’s really only the true flops that might have wound up in a dumpster.

Genesis/Mega Drive? I don’t know about that. Handheld systems I can believe. They made a lot of shovelware, and original gameboy was ‘dead’ by 1994. Game Gear, likewise.

Still - I remember a bit about Nintendo being surprised that the 16-32 bit transition was happening so quickly

E:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Chrono_Trigger#Sales_figures
289,000 of Chrono Trigger from a dead source on squares’s page. Likely just one print run and that’s it. They really don’t share figures. It’s rare enough given the demand.

I’d put something like Harvest Moon as “Mega Niche”.

I’m not surprised about Pokémon R / B / Y being in demand given how big Pokémon is and there’s a direct lineage from the current generation all the way back to Gameboy.

It is funny how the Game Boy was "dead" yet they still did the Pocket in 1996 and even set aside Project Atlantis for 4 years in 1997 because the original Game Boy still held 80% of the handheld gaming market and this was still a year before Pokemon went international and became an absolute phenomenon

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have a GBS-control that I would like to switch over to a USB-based power supply.

The power supply it came with has a 5.5mm/2.1mm positive polarity DC barrel jack. Can I just get this adapter and use a USB-C cable to a PD charger?

https://a.co/d/i8KDblv

I ended up getting this:

https://a.co/d/6HB630p

And now my GBS-C works via a USB power bank rather than a wall wart. Hooray.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I found out that there's a crossover fighting game for the Simple series, the discount game line that ran through the PS1 and PS2 era that tended to be weirdly horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYexAfFTBt4&t=153s

If you don't recognize any of the characters, I wouldn't be shocked since very few of these games made it outside of Japan, though I did spot three characters whose games got western releases. The wildest being a soldier for E.D.F.

quoting this because i want to check it later for the one game in the series I've played (at least i think it was a simple release) but am at work and can't watch videos rn

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

yeah i'm sure they just had to copy paste the data into "ALLTEXTHERE.XLS" and bing bong bam game translated

you fuckin' muppet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

No one else did it :shrug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Aside from consolized controls/menus and a fullscreen display there's arranged music and some Extremely PS1 "updated" graphics that kind of remind me of the early King's Fields.

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1703182053146083367

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

yeah i'm sure they just had to copy paste the data into "ALLTEXTHERE.XLS" and bing bong bam game translated

you fuckin' muppet

I would seriously hope that they did copy the original script if there are no new plot elements in the Japanese version. It would be an absurd and unnecessary deviation from the work not to.

The Kins posted:

Aside from consolized controls/menus and a fullscreen display there's arranged music and some Extremely PS1 "updated" graphics that kind of remind me of the early King's Fields.

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1703182053146083367

Appreciate this info.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I would seriously hope that they did copy the original script if there are no new plot elements in the Japanese version. It would be an absurd and unnecessary deviation from the work not to.

Appreciate this info.

I think the point is that there's more to translation than just replacing the script in a file. They don't have a decompiled version of the game that they can rebuild from scratch or anything, they have to write a tool to hack the script into the rom and that involves a lot more work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

I think the point is that there's more to translation than just replacing the script in a file. They don't have a decompiled version of the game that they can rebuild from scratch or anything, they have to write a tool to hack the script into the rom and that involves a lot more work.

Correct, not to mention testing everything and making sure it's not busted somewhere

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVOADzZwMaM&t=4s
gonna need a fandub of this bitchin intro

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grassy Knowles posted:

IIRC it has the same music but with some better arrangement/instruments than the CD-ROM release.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Upsidads posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVOADzZwMaM&t=4s
gonna need a fandub of this bitchin intro

Needs to include, “Rainz!! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
drat the Amiga CD version of The Chaos Engine has a spiffy animated intro.