Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

This might not be the correct thread to ask, but the house I’m renting is next to a business, with a chain link fence separating us. I was wondering if there are any temporary options for covering up the fence, that wouldn’t be super expensive?

I’d rather not be able to see through the fence when in my backyard and vice versa.

Just google "chain link fence privacy", there's a million options - like these https://www.fencescreen.com/Fence-Slats.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

devicenull posted:

Just google "chain link fence privacy", there's a million options - like these https://www.fencescreen.com/Fence-Slats.aspx

Thank you!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

RCarr posted:

This might not be the correct thread to ask, but the house I’m renting is next to a business, with a chain link fence separating us. I was wondering if there are any temporary options for covering up the fence, that wouldn’t be super expensive?

I’d rather not be able to see through the fence when in my backyard and vice versa.

I just got this mesh-like tarp for privacy, it’s cheap, works really well and is extremely easy to install:

UPGRADE Privacy Screen Fence Customized 8x50 FT Dark Green Outdoor HDPE Mesh Fabric for Construction Site,Deck,Backyard,Patio with Zip Ties https://a.co/d/2woJClm

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RCarr posted:

Depending on your climate and patience, there are plenty of vines that will very happily cover a fence (and more!) in a few months.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sunday delivery - now I get to spend the next 2 hours putting this together.

I think I now own every tow-behind thing agrifab makes. As the amount of lawn shrinks I just don't need/want to be doing these things with a tractor when I can just do them with a zero turn that does a whole lot less turf damage.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

RCarr posted:

Vines work pretty well :D

E:fb

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One more segment to go and I’ll have the tall grass cut down. There’s enough grass piled up to fill the truck when I take it to the town yard waste drop off.

Then it’s glyphosate time. Keeping the grass tall all year helped me out, it killed off a bunch that got outcompeted.

I had considered renting a slit seeder but I’m thinking hand casting will work just fine since I’m doing fall seeding for prairie grass/wildflowers. Rake it in a bit to get below the dead grass and call it good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I had considered renting a slit seeder but I’m thinking hand casting will work just fine

I really don't recommend that if you mean literally throwing seed out with your hands. It's never even.

I'd suggest something like this for small areas:

https://www.amazon.com/EarthWay-14014-Ergonomic-Adjustable-High-Speed/dp/B08MB5VG9M/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=hand+crank+seed+spreader&sr=8-7

Depending on the size of the seeds you may need to mix them with something to bulk them out. I used corn husk/cob/whatever based kitty litter to help spread the extremely tiny wildflower seeds I put out this spring and used a hand crank spreader like that one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What Motronic said. I have heard that some people prefer to mix in sand , as well, so that they can see that they've covered the entire bed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is this a good thread to discuss irrigation or is there a better thread that I'm not seeing? Before I crafted up an effort post, I wanted to check.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TraderStav posted:

Is this a good thread to discuss irrigation or is there a better thread that I'm not seeing? Before I crafted up an effort post, I wanted to check.
Here or the gardening thread. Gardening thread is more vegetable gardens, horticulutre thread is more flowers and houseplants, this thread is more lawns and landscaping. The gardening thread probably gets the most traffic of the three.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
This one's for the goon who wants to burn their yard.

https://youtu.be/Yq7creA9GpM?si=-dozhP02aW7umAj-

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

For those of you who I've been telling [thread title], here's what a typical extension soil test looks like, top one for my back yard bottom one for the front:

All this for $10 per sample.

It's been 3 years since I had one done, and it looks like what I've been doing is working out just fine as far as soil nutrients. I'm going to need to put down about 1100 lbs of lime for the "front" yard.

The excess potassium in the back yard isn't really a surprise. I bought a bucket of liquid potassium and have been adding it to all of my other treatments that it will mix with because it literally can't hurt and makes kentucky bluegrass cultivars that classic deep green color.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Must be that superior Kazakhstan potassium helping that grass.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

For those of you who I've been telling [thread title], here's what a typical extension soil test looks like, top one for my back yard bottom one for the front:

All this for $10 per sample.

It's been 3 years since I had one done, and it looks like what I've been doing is working out just fine as far as soil nutrients. I'm going to need to put down about 1100 lbs of lime for the "front" yard.

The excess potassium in the back yard isn't really a surprise. I bought a bucket of liquid potassium and have been adding it to all of my other treatments that it will mix with because it literally can't hurt and makes kentucky bluegrass cultivars that classic deep green color.

Reckon I'll do mine again next spring and compare results. Mine was simple, 10-0-10 out front and 20-10-10 out back, but tracking down 20-10-10 didn't work out so I redo the math every year with some high N with and 10-10-10.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
No turning back with the glyphosate down. Throwing in the marking dye was a good call, thanks to whoever mentioned that. Now comes the hard part about landscaping - the waiting. Gonna have to pay attention for the right time to throw out seed before ground freeze (And yes, I have a hand-caster).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My kids and wife were sick today, so while everyone took a nap I managed to get half of my front yard cut low, bagged, dethatched, scarified, and ready for fertiliser and overseeding :toot:

Hopefully I’ll be able to get the rest of the front and the side done tomorrow. Id like to get the back yard done as well, but we’ll see how everyone is feeling. It was a shitload of work that probably took close to 3h, but I was able to use all the clippings and thatch as material to lay down to start reclaiming part of my backyard from the wetlands that have managed to get higher than I’ve ever seen. I was originally going to rent a core aerator, then I considered hiring it out, and now I think I might have to skip until spring just because of time constraints :sigh:

Also also, scarifying through moss beds is extremely satisfying and smells super good. The mossEx seems to have worked pretty well too, given how much a of it turned black

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm on cleanup today before it rains. I made a big push friday and yesterday, put in about 9 hours each day. Friday was dethatching and servicing the leaf cart , running it to pick up the thatch (I filled the cart 1 1/2 times, so like 75 cu ft of thatch!) then 2 passes with the tractor and core aerator,. Yesterday was more core aeration, chain dragging to break up the cores, dropped fertilizer, dropped grass seed, rolled, then put down pellet mulch in the really bare areas.

I should not have tried doing both the front and back yards at one time. Keeping all of this watered for the next 3 weeks is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My Ryobi convertible battery/AC string trimmer has been a pain in the rear end lately with my larger so I bit the bullet and picked up an EGO 56V string trimmer.

I have become death, destroyer of wayward grass.

Seriously though this thing is the tits, and incredibly satisfying to use. I really missed a proper bump feed trimmer. Powerful as gently caress too, it immediately sliced right through an overripe cantaloupe from a vine that had escaped the garden.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm in zone 6b, have turf type fescue on the way to overseed soon. I'm trying to clear out the nutsedge patches in my lawn (probably 150 sq ft total of a 0.7ac lawn) so they can be ready to plant a few days after.

Can anyone recommend a sedge-specific herbicide I can get from Amazon/DMO? I have handheld and backpack sprayers. I also have Surge, should I just use that in spot-treatment? The label doesn't say it affects germination, which makes sense given my understanding of the mechanism.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

I'm in zone 6b, have turf type fescue on the way to overseed soon. I'm trying to clear out the nutsedge patches in my lawn (probably 150 sq ft total of a 0.7ac lawn) so they can be ready to plant a few days after.

Can anyone recommend a sedge-specific herbicide I can get from Amazon/DMO? I have handheld and backpack sprayers. I also have Surge, should I just use that in spot-treatment? The label doesn't say it affects germination, which makes sense given my understanding of the mechanism.

It's maybe too late to put down Surge in 6b before a reseed. You can't seed for 3 weeks after, and that's just cutting it too late for my comfort in 6b. I did my spraying at the end of last month and reseed last weekend.

You can maybe get away with using my favorite funny named herbicide if you really want to knock this out specifically: Sedgehammer. https://www.domyown.com/sedgehammer-herbicide-p-1348.html
You will need a non ionic ajuviant for it: https://www.domyown.com/hiyield-spreader-sticker-p-1898.html?sub_id=19626
You can not reseed for 2 weeks.

If I were in your position I'd either manually dig up the sedge and seed over it and then treat it in the spring with sedgehammer if it outcompetes the new grass or spot treat with sedgehammer and get that seed down at exactly 2 weeks from your DMO order coming in, which should be Saturday or Monday at the latest if you order this morning.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It's maybe too late to put down Surge in 6b before a reseed. You can't seed for 3 weeks after, and that's just cutting it too late for my comfort in 6b. I did my spraying at the end of last month and reseed last weekend.

You can maybe get away with using my favorite funny named herbicide if you really want to knock this out specifically: Sedgehammer. https://www.domyown.com/sedgehammer-herbicide-p-1348.html
You will need a non ionic ajuviant for it: https://www.domyown.com/hiyield-spreader-sticker-p-1898.html?sub_id=19626
You can not reseed for 2 weeks.

If I were in your position I'd either manually dig up the sedge and seed over it and then treat it in the spring with sedgehammer if it outcompetes the new grass or spot treat with sedgehammer and get that seed down at exactly 2 weeks from your DMO order coming in, which should be Saturday or Monday at the latest if you order this morning.

Thanks, will do. Had a late season sprinkler field leak, which coupled with the lack of rain we've been getting, meant I almost passed up aeration/reseeding this year. All good now, so trying to get everything going. I hope I have some time before the frost comes.

I'll be sure to listen to Peter Gabriel when I spray that

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Today I started my Poison Ivy eradication project at the new house.

I spent two hours on the side of my cliff ripping up poison ivy and filling a half dozen large heavy duty trashbags with it. Sometimes it was very satifying - some of the roots are almost as thick as a finger, and finding one meant I could basically jump off the cliff and pull down a whole huge section with me, which was surprisingly fun! Other parts were frustrating, like the bits where it was hiding in amongst a bunch of english ivy I'd rather leave (I ended up ripping out most of it I came across anyway to get to the poison ivy inside it). Also discovered its full of a bunch of unidentified thorny plants. Fun!

I estimate I'm about a fifth of the way through the poison ivy removal in this side of the yard - I have yet to do an assessment of how much there is on the other side, it's definitely a lot less but it's more spread out. I figure I'll put in time every weekend between now and winter and I should be able to get most of it - would have gone longer today, but I ran out of trashbags. Next time I'll bring more, I didn't realize there was so much straight up biomass in these patches.

Then next year I guess I will regularly do rounds and see which bits I missed and where it's growing back.

I still need to figure out how to dispose of it - I guess back into the protective suit to load it into the trailer and bring it to the dump, hah.

For anyone who has dealt with it before, I do have a few questions:

How fast does it actually grow? I might end up clearing back into the woods a bit on the sides of my house facing them, but I'm worried about the neighbor's yard since it's basically a poison ivy petting zoo and breeding pit over there. I imagine fighting things back on the border is going to be a constant battle.

One I get the bulk of it removed, should I continue with physical removal or is there a good chemical solution worth switching to? Is there anything else I can do to make it more difficult for the poison ivy to get a foothold and come back, like planting something it doesn't live well with or something?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd just nuke anything green with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-Poison-Ivy-and-Tough-Brush-Killer-1-33-Gal-Ready-to-Use-Comfort-Wand-5203910/203687152 once you've got the bulk of it removed. It'll probably take a couple applications to get everything.

I imagine you're going to be dealing with it trying to regrow for at least a few months, so I wouldn't plant anything you want to keep until spring.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

I imagine you're going to be dealing with it trying to regrow for at least a few months

Years.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any idea how a 2005-era residential in-ground sprinkler install is typically constructed? We have 1 zone with a stuck open valve and I have no idea where the mechanicals are.

Is the topology that the supply line from the backflow preventer goes into a valve bank? Or do the valves branch off at different places? The former I would suspect from a wiring harness POV but would suspect the latter because "home runs" use more pipe/labor for longer runs. I've never seen a manifold or valve bank but would assume it's near the control box so that the wire harness is short as possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Is the topology that the supply line from the backflow preventer goes into a valve bank? Or do the valves branch off at different places?

It can be either. If it was competently installed the valves should be in "vaults" in the ground with an exposed lid you can remove for service. Or the valves are inside, but you wouldn't be asking if that were the case.

If they aren't somewhere obviously serviceable it's really anyone's guess what was done by which group of people hired that very morning in the parking lot of your closest big box building supply store.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks. Welp, guess I'm going to tone it out and see how far I can get.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Thanks. Welp, guess I'm going to tone it out and see how far I can get.

If you've got something that is strong/sensitive enough that's absolutely the easiest way to do a locate on it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Going through the area I sprayed with roundup two weeks ago and hitting again anything that survived. I probably should have done a hardcore dethatch but I didn’t really feel like doing that manually given the space involved.

I should have plenty of time before first ground freeze (zone 5 Midwest) to do a third round if necessary before scattering seed. Called up the lawn treatment company and had them exclude the entire back section of the yard where I’m planting the wildflower/prairie mix. It’s supposed to be a good mix for seasonal deluges and standing water for a day or two.

The swale used to be muddy for weeks during spring rains. Since taking ownership I’ve worked to improve drainage flow through the entire thing and my efforts have paid off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm here for a wail of despair. Long story short, my last gardener accepted a large check to be paid in installments, did work, came away, came back, did work, excavated my entire sloping (this will be important later) backyard down a yard deep. This all happened over the course of a year. Then he never came back or responded to calls. I had chosen him in desperation, because no other landscapers were making callbacks at all.

I finally decided the situation was hopeless and started talking to a neighbor who had a guy who might do it. I asked the guy for a bid. The guy has not come back, and I have now heard from my other neighbor that the guy is competent to dig holes and run an excavator, but probably not to build. I also learned that my first gardener had lied to me: he had told me that the concrete retaining walls were delayed because he had to find somebody to split the costs of a load of concrete, given that the closest concrete place was 1 1/2 hours away. Readers, the closest concrete place is 13 miles away. It had not had not occurred to me that Gardener 1 was lying.

So here I am, in late September, I have nobody to put retaining walls in (yes, I have calls outstanding to licensed people, maybe this time somebody will call back).

The back yard, meanwhile, is directly below my neighbor's yard (we're both on a sloping hill, me under her yard). It will rain today.

Pray for me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thank god my yard is split between small retaining walls I can and will absolutely redo myself (and should probably replace at least one of those next year, and I'm looking forward to it because I love excuses to dig) and one that I will never ever need to redo because it's just a giant solid rock.

Speaking of which, progress on clearing said rock of poison ivy continues. I think three or four more hours to finish it, and then another two to clear all the poison ivy below it, and that half of the yard should be done. Then it's on to the other two sides!

When I'm done I need to figure out how to carve rocks so I can make this thing pretty looking.

I am honestly still considering growing phormium (cookianum) instead, has the benefit of being harvestable in the same way while also providing delicious drinkables and not being deadly toxic - but everyone keeps telling me I should try native plants, and the dogbane is native... maybe I'll do both next year. The phormium wouldn't go in the ground until spring anyway, I can put it down with the milkweed.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 26, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I sometimes wonder if there would be more tradespeople if society would maybe not poo poo on people without college degrees/blue collar, but then I see how much the existing tradespeople charge (ask me about replacing my entire waste plumbing - under the foundation) and marvel that there aren't *more* people doing trades.
I paid like half my goddamned annual salary to 6 people for 3 days' work. At least I could find people to do it, and do it competently...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I am honestly still considering growing phormium (cookianum) instead, has the benefit of being harvestable in the same way while also providing delicious drinkables and not being deadly toxic - but everyone keeps telling me I should try native plants, and the dogbane is native... maybe I'll do both next year. The phormium wouldn't go in the ground until spring anyway, I can put it down with the milkweed.
Those are very pretty! Would you still have to rett them? If it were me, I'd call this a trial year and plant half of each variety. See which one thrives, make a half-recipe of fiber this year.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are very pretty! Would you still have to rett them? If it were me, I'd call this a trial year and plant half of each variety. See which one thrives, make a half-recipe of fiber this year.

I never retted phormium when I used it regularly, just combed the fibers out or working it manually til they separated.

I think I'm definitely gonna make this an experiment year, though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm looking for some pruning shears and loppers. I gather I should just get some felco #2 shears. Are their loppers good? What length should I go for? My first instinct is to get a size where I can cut things on/close to the ground without bending over very much.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I picked up some fiskars loppers and they're pretty good. I think they're 20-24" long. Can take up to 1 3/4" or 2" branches I think.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I got the milwaukee m12 ones for loving with all the japanese maples and bamboo I’ve got on our property

I’m definitely gonna lose a finger one of these days lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eeyo posted:

I'm looking for some pruning shears and loppers. I gather I should just get some felco #2 shears. Are their loppers good? What length should I go for? My first instinct is to get a size where I can cut things on/close to the ground without bending over very much.

I like Corona for both loppers and hand pruners. I think Lowe’s sells both including replacement blades etc. Felco are probably better but for the convenience and money, I’ve been perfectly happy with Corona.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Every time I use loppers I just think, this is the perfect tool for removing a finger.