Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a solved problem already, don't worry needlessly about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Extremely dumb question, so apologies if this has already been asked, but will the Pi 5 be compatible with images created for other Raspberry Pis? Notably the off brand pis (like orange pis) are not, which really limits their usefulness as a plug and play device.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

I dunno how you would design a 3.5mm jack that can smartly switch between line and headphone. I don't think line level has some magic resistor in the plug. USB-C does have a "headphone out" resistor pin drop spec that allows it to function as a headphone out, but I don't think it can magically switch between headphone and line out
There's no "magic resistor" but the difference in impedence between a speaker and an amplifier can probably be detected by a fairly simple circuit. How many devices actually do that I have no idea.

Talorat posted:

Extremely dumb question, so apologies if this has already been asked, but will the Pi 5 be compatible with images created for other Raspberry Pis? Notably the off brand pis (like orange pis) are not, which really limits their usefulness as a plug and play device.
It'll need a newer build of the base OS (mostly the kernel for the new hardware support), but basically everything else laid atop that base should "just work" unless it's getting down and dirty with the hardware.

If your image of choice is being regularly updated more likely than not the next update will support Pi 5, if it's some abandoned old thing you're probably SOL.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Only quietly.

Ok Comboomer posted:

What do you mean “drive a speaker?” It’s a headphone-level output that IIRC operates in line-out (ie line level) mode when plugged into the right resistive load.

You’ll need to power your speaker, so maybe something with an onboard amp will be better for your needs. Probably shouldn’t drive the speaker straight off the rPi (are you doing that with the pins?)

Well the thing was that in my original post I said I was trying to drive a speaker and that driving it with the onboard PWM is very quiet because it's only putting out enough power for headphones:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Fooling around with a Pi 4 and an 8 ohm speaker hooked up to GPIO pins (dtoverlay=audremap,pins_18_19 in config.txt). It is, of course, very quiet.

I ended up buying an Adafruit I2S amplifier hat (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-speaker-bonnet-for-raspberry-pi) because the price was good and the hat seems pretty convenient, and I could get it delivered tonight from Amazon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah speakers come in 4 and 8 ohms typically don't they good point

USB-C has the ability to measure resistance on at least some of the pins, that's how adapters are passively coded as part of the spec

Ok I looked it up, voltage negotiation is done via kiliohm values, like 12k, 36k etc. https://hackaday.com/2023/01/04/all-about-usb-c-resistors-and-emarkers/

I can't link to the PDF source on Mobile but Texas instruments says it's a 1kohm value for audio devices. I don't know if the USB-C connector is smart or sensitive enough to pick up an 8 ohm resistance since the other values are presented as +/- 10% which is like 120+ ohms

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stop. Just stop.

The speakers or headphones are not connected to the USB-C plug.

E: seriously, you're just relaying irrelevant stuff from a datasheet you don't understand.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 2, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My google skills suck or such a thing doesn't really exist.. anyone know of a pi camera ribbon cable that is less fragile? I'm always worried about creasing the ribbon or it getting otherwise damaged which I wouldn't worry as much if it was in a round flexible sleeve.

I do see some DIY and even a couple hdmi cable conversions so I guess other people have tried to solve this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's an extension kit that converts the data stream and back again: https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/articles/review-thine-cable-extension-kit

Once you're at that sort of money though you're into cheap IP CCTV camera territory

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm genuinely curious to see what the Compute Module 5 ends up being. I wonder if there's any more PCIe lanes on the cpu that they could bring out. The CM4 and Pi 5 only expose 1 lane, but the Pi 5 processor has at least 4 more lanes going to the 'southbridge' for lack of a better term. Seems odd if it had exactly 5 lanes, so I'm cautiously hopeful we might see 2 lanes (dare to dream) exposed? That would mean changing the pinout of the CM4 connector though, which I don't think they'll want to do unless perhaps something else was obsoleted anyway.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Rescue Toaster posted:

That would mean changing the pinout of the CM4 connector though, which I don't think they'll want to do unless perhaps something else was obsoleted anyway.

lol

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Running a pi zero 2 w, after a couple days it fills up all 32GB of storage, and stops responding. Also very warm. I kill the power, let it cool down, and it'll boot up, but that storage is swamped.

code:
$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        29G   29G     0 100% /
devtmpfs         80M     0   80M   0% /dev
tmpfs           210M     0  210M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs            84M  3.0M   81M   4% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1  255M   32M  224M  13% /boot
tmpfs            42M     0   42M   0% /run/user/1000
It's running Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64-bit). After a clean install, I ssh in and do the following:
code:
	1.	sudo raspi-config, update, enable i2c
	2.	sudo apt-get update
	3.	sudo apt-get upgrade
	4.	sudo apt-get install unattended-upgrades
	5.	sudo dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low unattended-upgrades
	6.	sudo apt-get install i2c-tools # doesn't appear to actually be necessary these days
	7.	sudo apt-get install pip3
        8.      pip3 install a couple libraries from below script
I then dump the following python script into a file and add it to the crontab to be run once a minute:
code:
from datetime import datetime, timezone
start_time = datetime.now(timezone.utc).replace(second=0, microsecond=0).isoformat()

from time import sleep
from math import log as ln
import Adafruit_ADS1x15
from Adafruit_IO import Client, Feed, Data
from gpiozero import CPUTemperature

adc = Adafruit_ADS1x15.ADS1115(address=0x48, busnum=1)

AIO_USER = 'me'
AIO_KEY = 'dirty_secrets'
aio = Client(AIO_USER, AIO_KEY)

aio.feeds('fish-temps.controller')
cpu_c = CPUTemperature().temperature
cpu_f = cpu_c * 9/5 + 32
aio.send_batch_data('fish-temps.controller', [Data(value=f'{cpu_f:.2f}', created_at=start_time)])

probes = ['ambient', 'water', 'heater', 'bubble']

for p in probes:
    aio.feeds(f'fish-temps.{p}')

samples = 100
totals = [0, 0, 0, 0]
for i in range(samples):
    for p in range(4):
        totals[p] += adc.read_adc(p, gain=1)
    sleep(0.1)

A = 1.217808990e-3
B = 2.164964415e-4
C = 1.820024468e-7

for i, p in enumerate(probes):
    R = totals[i] / samples
    t_kel = pow(A + B * ln(R) + C * pow(ln(R), 3), -1)
    t_cel = t_kel - 273.15
    t_far = t_cel * 9/5 + 32
    aio.send_batch_data(f'fish-temps.{p}', [Data(value=f'{t_far:.2f}', created_at=start_time)])
I see three symptoms:
- The crash
- The heat
- The storage

Not sure which is causing which. Like, is it maybe overheating, causing some logs to fill up the storage, and eventually going kaput? Or is something filling up storage, causing it to overheat and go kaput? Or is it going kaput, and in the process overheating while loading up storage? Once I settle it down and fire it back up, even though storage is 100% full, I can ssh in and tinker around more.

Looking at where the storage has gone, it appears to be logging eating it up. /var/log/syslog.1 is ~14GB of
code:
Sep 25 18:18:03 fish kernel: [24199.189100] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail request error: -110
with this message being logged apparently as quickly as possible, thousands of times a second, or more. It also logs every time my cron runs, once a minute. That's small beans in comparison, but it will add up eventually, and I'd like to address that, too.

The other half of the storage (another 14GB) goes to kern.log.1, with the same exact message, at the same exact rate:
code:
Sep 25 18:18:03 fish kernel: [24198.691127] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail request error: -110
Googling the error in question, I can't seem to find much. Maybe related to wifi? But also claims that it should have been fixed a while ago.

Swear to god, I'm going to add a second cron that just deletes that log file.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 3, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like that is an error with the wlan driver.

Have you seen this post: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2274

Looks like that person was also running a lite distro and it was missing some files related to that driver. Might be an issue with the lite distro or it has been reintroduced somehow.

I doubt it's your program, you aren't using WiFi as far as I can tell.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That aio.send_batch_data() command hits the Adafruit IO servers, as does aio.feeds(). But that all works just great for a while, until the whole thing crashes down. Looking at the data that does get logged to Adafruit IO, it looks like it actually goes down sooner than I thought, like less than 24 hours after startup.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 3, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ah ok. In any case, unless you configured it to specifically use that driver, it's not your fault, it's a system level problem.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Run a crontab to delete the system log

Or, set the folder to read-only

Hacky solutions are best solutions, minimum effort possible

(Also it barely matters, but remove your API key from your post)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cojawfee posted:

Ah ok. In any case, unless you configured it to specifically use that driver, it's not your fault, it's a system level problem.
From that post you linked, I may not be providing enough power. I'll try a larger supply to see if that's it. Hope so, that'd be an easy fix. I put it on a bigger supply and we'll see how it's doing this time tomorrow.

ante posted:

Run a crontab to delete the system log

Or, set the folder to read-only

Hacky solutions are best solutions, minimum effort possible
If it's going to log every time the crontab runs (every minute) I may do that just as a matter of course.

quote:

(Also it barely matters, but remove your API key from your post)
Oops! Key rotated.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

From that post you linked, I may not be providing enough power. I'll try a larger supply to see if that's it. Hope so, that'd be an easy fix. I put it on a bigger supply and we'll see how it's doing this time tomorrow.

If it's going to log every time the crontab runs (every minute) I may do that just as a matter of course.

you may want to consider calling journalctl to prune the logs so that you can be sure they get rotated and you actually save space (since deleting an open file will not get rid of it until the file descriptors to it get closed).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Will do, thanks. Anything built in to automate that in an ideal way, or just crontab it up?

e: I googled it. Looks like I just edit /etc/system/journald.conf? Currently, it just has
code:
#SystemMaxUse=
So uhhhhh, unbounded I guess.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 3, 2023

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

USB-C, adapters
So this is all irrelevant to Pis because they don't support passive analog audio adapters, and the Apple adapter that was mentioned is not one of those.

But the signalling for adapter type uses the CC pins, while the audio itself goes over the data and sideband pins. So it's easy to measure the resistances completely separately.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dylan16807 posted:

So this is all irrelevant to Pis because they don't support passive analog audio adapters, and the Apple adapter that was mentioned is not one of those.

But the signalling for adapter type uses the CC pins, while the audio itself goes over the data and sideband pins. So it's easy to measure the resistances completely separately.

E: I guess you're talking about the audio signal for passive audio over USB-C, though. Which makes the first part of my rant less relevant.

Which still isn't happening, because there's a DAC in-between and no direct connection between any USB-C pins and the 3.5mm output jack.

Some audio adapters can sense the impedance of headphones and switch to a higher output setting if necessary. I have one that does that, the Meizu Hifi Pro. It can drive 600 ohm headphones without too much trouble to a good volume level. But the Apple adapter doesn't do that and can't proper drive such headphones.

Both the Meizu and the Apple are perfectly fine to connect to an amp to drive speakers. They're just variable level outputs with lower source impedance (that's good) and the ability to deliver more power (also good, and the high input impedance of a line-in means it won't hurt anything).

A headphone output is perfectly fine to use as a line-out, as long as you don't use a powerful headphone amp that will exceed normal line level. The Apple adapter only puts out like 1 Vrms maximum, compared to normal line level which is 2 Vrms. So worst case, you'll just have to turn up the volume on your amp a bit more than you would otherwise have to.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 3, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Will do, thanks. Anything built in to automate that in an ideal way, or just crontab it up?

e: I googled it. Looks like I just edit /etc/system/journald.conf? Currently, it just has
code:
#SystemMaxUse=
So uhhhhh, unbounded I guess.

15 hours on and the thing is chugging along happily, that's a good sign so far. I think the two-pronged approach of providing it more ample power, as well as curtailing its log behavior, may have done the trick. Thanks, all!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bad Munki posted:

15 hours on and the thing is chugging along happily, that's a good sign so far. I think the two-pronged approach of providing it more ample power, as well as curtailing its log behavior, may have done the trick. Thanks, all!

A thing to consider setting up long term is log2ram, at least once you have everything else working and stable.

In-progress writes during a power failure are great for killing sd cards, and logs are writing all the time. Most pre-made special purpose Pi stuff (pihole, retropie, etc) come set up with log2ram. The general-purpose raspian / PiOS doesn't though, because when your logs vanish after a crash it makes debugging v hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another valuable SD card saving tip is to set up a shutdown button. By default if you short pins 5 and 6 it'll issue an immediate system shutdown. Or hook up a button if you wanna be fancy.

I know we've all rolled the dice, gotta unplug the pi and you don't wanna hunt down a keyboard or ssh in so instead you yank the wire. But if you had a power button it's right there and you got no excuses.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Klyith posted:

A thing to consider setting up long term is log2ram, at least once you have everything else working and stable.

In-progress writes during a power failure are great for killing sd cards, and logs are writing all the time. Most pre-made special purpose Pi stuff (pihole, retropie, etc) come set up with log2ram. The general-purpose raspian / PiOS doesn't though, because when your logs vanish after a crash it makes debugging v hard.

Or modify your syslog config to forward logs elsewhere rather than writing them to disk. There's a whole host of poo poo out there that can do this (I'd, uh, recommend against Splunk following the Cisco acquisition lol)

edit: for home use you might just be better off setting up rsyslogd on a Linux box with a real hard disk, and just forwarding everything from the rpi to that.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 3, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
FWIW, I have a pi running VolumIO upstairs for the bedroom and I hooked up the line-in of an amp using one of those HDMI -> VGA/Composite adaptors that does audio as well. It chugs along and works / sounds great.

Does the thread have a recommendation for something to power 4-5 Pi’s in close proximity to each other? I found a pi rack mount thing for cheap and want to put my pi’s in it in an organized way and power them all from the same adapter. I was thinking about it and I guess the theoretical max draw could be something like 10 amps at 5V? lol. So I’m hoping to get something that others have used and not burned their house down.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're going rack mount there's always PoE, which also gains you the ability to remotely power cycle your Pis individually.

Otherwise I'd just look for a multiple USB power supply that fits your needs from a major brand like Anker. I have an Anker 6 port unit that has run a few Pi 3Bs and two streaming sticks at one time with no trouble. My 4 has always been PoE.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 3, 2023

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
If I were to consider using a Raspi for a home theatre setup, is that an actual good solution?

Some considerations:

I have a projector that is only 1080p, and probably won't be upgrading any time soon. HDMI. So this part is no problem.

I will need to add a system of speakers. Ideally 5 around my place, along with a subwoofer. I have all the speakers, with the little automotive wire terminals. I also have a beefy amplifier with those terminal outputs, along with a ton of speaker wire. The amplifier can input HDMI, or some other formats I think.

The main problem is that I really do not actually want to run wire everywhere. I feel like, given a month or two (and lack of other commitments), I could hack together an RF system with a little amplifier for each speaker, so surely someone has done this already.

Anyway, I don't know the best to do this within my constraints (and cheap, ideally), and that might be out of scope for this thread! I also have an old Chromecast, which might be the better option, but I haven't played with it in a few years with which to see what kinds of things I can actually cast to it (random-rear end web video players, ideally).

This post is rambling, I apologize.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A Pi is fine for a source device, literally any Pi ever made will do 1080p without trouble and the 4 adds 4K. I used a bunch of Pi 3s running OpenELEC for years as as an upgrade from an OG Xbox running Kodi until I migrated to Plex a few years ago and it was great.

I could have sworn there was a home theater thread but I can't find one so I guess the home audio thread would probably be a good place for your questions about wireless speakers.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

wolrah posted:

If you're going rack mount there's always PoE, which also gains you the ability to remotely power cycle your Pis individually.

Otherwise I'd just look for a multiple USB power supply that fits your needs from a major brand like Anker. I have an Anker 6 port unit that has run a few Pi 3Bs and two streaming sticks at one time with no trouble. My 4 has always been PoE.

I had considered POE, I have some open POE ports on my switch, but it requires buying a hat for each one, right? I'm trying to keep costs down since I don't really have any idea what I'm going to use these Pi's for anyway. I used to use them for a bunch of stuff, but ended up setting up a couple of old laptops as a home lab and everything runs on those in containers now.

ante posted:

If I were to consider using a Raspi for a home theatre setup, is that an actual good solution?

Some considerations:

I have a projector that is only 1080p, and probably won't be upgrading any time soon. HDMI. So this part is no problem.

I will need to add a system of speakers. Ideally 5 around my place, along with a subwoofer. I have all the speakers, with the little automotive wire terminals. I also have a beefy amplifier with those terminal outputs, along with a ton of speaker wire. The amplifier can input HDMI, or some other formats I think.

The main problem is that I really do not actually want to run wire everywhere. I feel like, given a month or two (and lack of other commitments), I could hack together an RF system with a little amplifier for each speaker, so surely someone has done this already.

Anyway, I don't know the best to do this within my constraints (and cheap, ideally), and that might be out of scope for this thread! I also have an old Chromecast, which might be the better option, but I haven't played with it in a few years with which to see what kinds of things I can actually cast to it (random-rear end web video players, ideally).

lol, it's all good by me. The make vs buy decision can be tough sometimes.

Is the pi4 8gb good enough for surfing around and watching youtube videos at 1080p? I'm currently running an old TV in my "lab" (spare room) using an ancient chromebook (Acer C720 I think? celeron processor) running Lubuntu and I'm curious whether a pi would be better in any way.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ante posted:

Some considerations:

Unless you want to run a full-on computer through your projector (and are OK with getting max 720p on streaming services that use DRM), I'd definitely suggest the Chromecast option. Or get an Onn 4K Streaming Box from Walmart for $20 which does all the modern codecs you would ever want to stream (H.264, H.265, VP9, AV1), doesn't rely on a phone (Google TV is basically a stripped-down version of Android with a TV-focused interface) and should have apps for every major streaming service. It's basically the same as the $50 Chromecast With Google TV 4k except it has a slightly slower CPU and no support for Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos, neither of which it sounds like apply to you.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

wolrah posted:

I could have sworn there was a home theater thread but I can't find one so I guess the home audio thread would probably be a good place for your questions about wireless speakers.

The HTPC Thread - Dont buy an HTPC

The subtitle still applies

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The "PC" part of "HTPC" is important there, I was looking for a thread focused on the home theater system, i.e. the receiver and speakers.

That subtitle is 100% right though, HTPCs are for people with very niche needs or too much time on their hands these days.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 4, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like that is an error with the wlan driver.

Have you seen this post: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2274

sb hermit posted:

you may want to consider calling journalctl to prune the logs so that you can be sure they get rotated and you actually save space (since deleting an open file will not get rid of it until the file descriptors to it get closed).

Just wanted to pop back in to say that my fish temperature monitor has been running for days without issue now, thanks to these two posts.

And with that sorted out,

Klyith posted:

this is my next step. Then I think it's good to go for the winter.

Thanks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Maybe the RP5 finally has enough oomph to actually run PCSX2 on RetroPi or Mupen64+ without all the audio glitching. :v:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Does anyone know if it’s possible to tether an iPhone to a pi in order to get internet?
I know I can use the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot but would prefer a wired connection in this instance

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
It looks like the answer is yes, but you need to install some extra software: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IPhone_tethering

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Just wanted to pop back in to say that my fish temperature monitor has been running for days without issue now, thanks to these two posts.

Thanks!

:toot:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks!

If you're logging with systemd-journald only, there's a configuration to have it only log to ram. I set this up on my home box and I/O on the SD card went to almost nothing..

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

It looks like the answer is yes, but you need to install some extra software: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IPhone_tethering

Awesome, I’ll give this a try!

lol, why is documentation always like this though:

”from the doc above which I’m grateful for” posted:

Connect the iOS device and verify that usbmuxd.service is automatically started.

Next enable Personal Hotspot on your iPhone and plug it into your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

namlosh posted:

Awesome, I’ll give this a try!

lol, why is documentation always like this though:

Probably the author was tired of helping people for 6 back-and-forth exchanges, only to discover they hadn't plugged the drat thing in.

Speaking from experience maintaining FLOSS.