Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If only one of them can look good I'd choose Aliens over The Abyss. I enjoy The Abyss and would gladly add it to my collection but Aliens is a much more important movie to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m personally hoping it’s The Abyss, just because we’ve been waiting on a decent HD release of any kind for forever.

There’s basically no danger of Aliens never getting a good 4K at some point because it’s still an enormously beloved and marketable movie. They’ll continue to rerelease Aliens in whatever format long after anyone in this thread is dead and buried.

Can’t really confidently say the same for The Abyss.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm gonna buy the poo poo outta the Toxie set the second I can get it half off.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

In Toxie we trust. Lloyd rules. I have the ol DVD Toxbox, and just the first one on blu-ray. I also found 2 pretty fun, and 4 (Citizen Toxie) is quite a fun time. And any behind-the-scenes stuff and extras with Lloyd are always good.

Also, pretty wild that RightStuf the anime store is closing, and being ported over to the Crunchyroll store or whatever. Quite the classic anime store back in the day, I bought a bunch of discotek stuff there recently too, especially Lupin the Third.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
on the 666th page we're getting an aliens uhd finally?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

on the 666th page we're getting an aliens uhd finally?

One day

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I kinda liked alien 3 (any of the cuts, it's fine it's fine) and the jeunet fourth one..it's me, i'll buy your box set..xenomorphs are my favorite disney princess

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

I kinda liked alien 3 (any of the cuts, it's fine it's fine) and the jeunet fourth one..it's me, i'll buy your box set..xenomorphs are my favorite disney princess

I recently got to view someone’s private 35mm print of Aliens in a movie theater and there isn’t really any conceivable way to do a sequel to it. They tried and tried again and we only barely get somewhere with Prometheus and Covenant but even then the first two tinge everything in a certain light. You really gotta have the cache and vision to do something great with that franchise. Unfettered by studio notes. You don’t have a chance otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IMO every Alien sequel has its merits.

- Aliens isn’t exactly my bag but it’s undeniably a classic of the genre and the appeal is obvious.
- Alien 3 excels at establishing a vibe of desperation and isolation and really only fails in the third act
- Resurrection is an extremely entertaining guilty pleasure just dripping with all the goofiest excesses of late-90s sci-fi
- Prometheus and Covenant both look great, set up genuinely interesting concepts, and Fassbender’s David is an all-timer genre role

I’m not counting the AvP movies since those are, imo, way more Predator sequels than Alien sequels.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Went to the theater last night and saw Severin's restoration of Dario Argento's "Opera" for the first time last night. So good. Really looking forward to the UHD release when they announce it. That'll be a pre-order for sure.

I think the last of the Argento "best of the best" that I havent seen is Inferno. I know Blue Underground has a blu-ray, but I'm honestly kinda thinking I'll just wait for a UHD.

Also realized I'm way more of an Argento head than I ever expected to be.

I have two copies of Suspiria (one is the UHD and the other is the gorgeous Steelbook that came out for the 4K restoration Blu-Ray, I'm a total mark).

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 4, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

Went to the theater last night and saw Severin's restoration of Dario Argento's "Opera" for the first time last night. So good. Really looking forward to the UHD release when they announce it. That'll be a pre-order for sure.

I think the last of the Argento "best of the best" that I havent seen is Inferno. I know Blue Underground has a blu-ray, but I'm honestly kinda thinking I'll just wait for a UHD.

Also realized I'm way more of an Argento head than I ever expected to be.

I have two copies of Suspiria (one is the UHD and the other is the gorgeous Steelbook that came out for the 4K restoration Blu-Ray, I'm a total mark).

what'd you think of the remake

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

what'd you think of the remake

Loved it. Glad they didnt actually try to remake the original and just riffed on the concept and did something wildly different, but still related.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dario rules! Agreed the 70s and 80s are his best stuff. I enjoyed some of his later movies too, like Trauma and also I'm seemingly the only person who liked Giallo (2009).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Argento is great, and I'm also glad they didn't just remake the original Suspiria, I love both Suspiria movies for pretty different reasons.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

Dario rules! Agreed the 70s and 80s are his best stuff. I enjoyed some of his later movies too, like Trauma and also I'm seemingly the only person who liked Giallo (2009).

Huge fan of Trauma (it was filmed in my hometown) and I legit enjoy Giallo. I own all of Argento's movies on multiple formats, including the dodgier titles like The Card Player, Phantom of the Opera, Giallo, and,of course, Dracula 3D. I also love both of his Masters of Horror episodes. He's probably my favorite director after Carpenter, and like Carpenter, even his misses are still very watchable and interesting.

I also recommend picking up the Blue Underground release of Inferno. It's an older disc but is still very high quality and the movie is extremely fun. Plus it will cause a label to announce a UHD.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

I also recommend picking up the Blue Underground release of Inferno. It's an older disc but is still very high quality and the movie is extremely fun. Plus it will cause a label to announce a UHD.

oooh the movie is a Fox distributed film... Wonder if that means if its locked in Disney's vault now.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ultraviolence123 posted:

I also love both of his Masters of Horror episodes.

I found Jenifer to be particularly wild, and it was really different for him and unexpected

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

Ok so I bought it.

Expect an announcement any day now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

oooh the movie is a Fox distributed film... Wonder if that means if its locked in Disney's vault now.

Only theatrical like Suspiria.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr E posted:

I love both Suspiria movies for pretty different reasons.

:hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Only theatrical like Suspiria.

Ah ok

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1710002064275767376?s=46
*points at thread title*

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EXCUUUUUUSE me? Short Circuit 2 rule and is unproblematic!

It's funny because i got really pumped when I saw the news on my feed but then I remembered I have a copy of the Image version... which apparently maybe went OoP and would have been worth some cashola up until a few hours ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmlXZ_-320

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's funny because i got really pumped when I saw the news on my feed but then I remembered I have a copy of the Image version... which apparently maybe went OoP and would have been worth some cashola up until a few hours ago.

could probably still get away with putting it up now. not everyone checks social media right away.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Boywhiz88 posted:

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Just lol at your life if you didn't import the stacked 88 Films edition of Short Circuit 2 with the thick slipcase over a year ago

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I have to keep reminding myself that guy and the bad guy from hackers are the same guy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Kingtheninja posted:

I have to keep reminding myself that guy and the bad guy from hackers are the same guy.

Hackers was exactly when I learned fisher stevens is very much a white guy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
And then a part in Succession. Wild career, for sure.

I’ll wait for the reviews and upgrade if necessary. Short Circuit 2 was one of my family’s VHSes, so I’m down to clown w it however and whenever.

I know they’re two different companies but seeing something like SC2 gives me hope for a Gremlins 2 4K. We deserve it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

We really deserve it. With a special introduction from Jordan Peele.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just watched The Vast of Night and immediately checked to see if there was a physical copy I could buy and put a hole in my drywall when it turned out the answer was no

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just did the same with Barbarian.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would love to hear a director commentary track for Vast of Night, maybe also with the two leads.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of my favorite "micro" labels, Thunderbean Animation, is finally shipping out the new Blu-ray set of the complete Flip the Frog cartoons, produced by former Disney animator Ub Iwerks in the 1930s.
https://thunderbeanshop.com/product/flip-the-frog-blu-ray/

All 38 shorts scanned in 4K from original film elements (camera negatives and fine-grain positives).

Thunderbean specializes mostly in public domain animation, but this is actually licensed from Blackhawk Films (best known for silent films).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Apparently two of the three movies I ordered during the orbit sale are potential backorder so I might not end up with a super discounted supercop or last starfighter. But at least I should get dragons forever.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Kingtheninja posted:

Apparently two of the three movies I ordered during the orbit sale are potential backorder so I might not end up with a super discounted supercop or last starfighter. But at least I should get dragons forever.

Got the same e-mail, be bummed if Supercop gets cancelled.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Does anyone know why Criterion hasn’t done anything with the non-Godzilla Ishirō Honda movies other than stick them on Criterion Channel?

You’ve got:
Rodan
The Mysterians
Varan the Unbelievable
Atragon
Matango
Dogora
Frankenstein vs Baragon
The War of the Gargantuas
Space Amoeba

All by one director, all done for Toho. This feels like an easy slam dunk box-set, especially since most of these were hard to see in decent quality in the US until relatively recently. You could probably even release Rodan on its own given the Godzilla connection and stick the other eight in an “Ishirō Honda at Toho” set or something.

It’s nice to have them all streaming, but like… I want a physical release and extras, man.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 8, 2023

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Toho are tough to deal with and tend to put pretty heavy restrictions on what’s done with their prints, I can’t remember by who but it was brought up earlier in the thread. I’d imagine many companies would love to put those titles out. I really like MOGUERA so a Mysterians release would be amazing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Showa Godzilla set was apparently a pain to do (and it’s notable how few US dubs were available, and the only alternate cuts were KOTM and KKvG, the latter of which they were legally obligated to include because of how Toho split rights with Universal back in the day.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have an idea as to why they haven't done anything with Varan The Unbelievable. Because it's not a good movie.