Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nope, have to go to the web site for that. I forget why it’s hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Nope, have to go to the web site for that. I forget why it’s hard.

vB2 originally shipped with a "remove this user from your ignore/buddy list" feature but it was removed by previous a previous developer for some reason or another, which only leaves the "edit entire ignore/buddy list" option. That's not even getting into how they're stored horribly in the backend in a single field in the user table that's also been filled with junk data over time because of someone hardcoding an attempt at an SQL trick into the field's contents, which was the underlying cause behind the top one or two ignore list stat people previously being invalid users.
:ughh:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

smellmycheese posted:

Is there a way to UNIGNORE someone in the app? Because I’m damned if I can find it

Ignoring a user is comfy and easy to do!

But that menu item reverses polarity iff the page is (re)loaded with that user still ignored and their post is still hidden!!

(DO NOT CLICK THE "Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway" LINK TO DISPLAY THEIR POST, THEN THE USER DROPDOWN WILL REVERT BACK TO THE "Ignore user" ITEM!! BEWARE!!!)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, sounds like we should fetch the list, remove the selected one, and slam the new list back through that endpoint? Can’t really be worse than what it’s doing already.

E: what on earth

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

^^^ :clint:

astral posted:

vB2 originally shipped with a "remove this user from your ignore/buddy list" feature but it was removed by previous a previous developer for some reason or another, which only leaves the "edit entire ignore/buddy list" option. That's not even getting into how they're stored horribly in the backend in a single field in the user table that's also been filled with junk data over time because of someone hardcoding an attempt at an SQL trick into the field's contents, which was the underlying cause behind the top one or two ignore list stat people previously being invalid users.

Lmao wtf

Also I assume the Awful app's "Unignore user" feature quickly loads and parses the ignore list, and then submits the form minus the target user. Can't say for sure as I'm not an Awful app dev and have never looked at the code though!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Btw this is all from Awful app v6.3, the publicly available App Store one (since my TestFlight install expired a little bit ago 😭)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

astral posted:

Good ol’ radium. A good developer dies eventually. A bad one is immortal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

Ignoring a user is comfy and easy to do!

Omg I can’t believe this was already there and I just had to tap on their username.

I think it’s tricky too because an ignored user has no profile pic or reg date.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but arrogant of me to come out of nowhere and suggest this but :

any way we can get some kind of search for thread names?

like I know i’ll wanna post in a particular thread, and then spend two mins scrolling thru my bookmarks or the dick sub forum or whatever trying to find that thread

imagine, just imagine, if I could pull down, like settings in iphone, and type “dick” and only threads that came up were ones with dick in the title

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

any way we can get some kind of search for thread names?

I’ve been thinking about this myself a little bit. I think it’s hard to make work well with the “infinite scroll” thread list because you might not have any matches on a given page of threads and that would be…weird. I thought about placeholders like “no matches on page 4” so it was clear that the load had finished without matches, rather than not having loaded yet, but I don’t love it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah even with non-infinite pagination it’s still a problem of not knowing what page it’s on and not wanting to do the same search more than once.

I think you’d want to do something where the search just pulls in the next X pages and is transparent about how many pages it searched and give the user an option to “search x more pages”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It makes me wonder whether we should just paginate the thread list like the web site…

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yes. Please. I've been asking for that forever. It's a neat idea to have the list go on and on but with every refresh at the bottom it always flings a thread I want to find to the top, especially if it just had new posts added and it's a huge pain.

E: And by "the top" I mean literally to the top of the entire massive list of threads I've scrolled through so far.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stare-Out posted:

Yes. Please.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve been thinking about this myself a little bit. I think it’s hard to make work well with the “infinite scroll” thread list because you might not have any matches on a given page of threads and that would be…weird. I thought about placeholders like “no matches on page 4” so it was clear that the load had finished without matches, rather than not having loaded yet, but I don’t love it.

Can we just cache the list of threads in the user control panel and leave the feature only there?

I mean it’s gonna be used to access threads that have gone old prolly anyway.

good point about not being able to search based off loading pages tho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

Can we just cache the list of threads in the user control panel and leave the feature only there?

How many pages’ worth? Cache when? I don’t see how it would work, but I think I don’t really understand what you’re suggesting.

But I would love the feature for thread lists in forums too, and I think it should work everywhere.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
all good points of course

if it was me, which of course it is not, every time
this theoretical cache saw a new thread in the control panel it was added to this cached list and the search would search that list

(so yes initially it’d be adding everything)

dirty solution yes lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I appreciate all the hard work btw

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

It’s due to the app looking for “twitter.com” URL to trigger the embedding.

can THE APP also look for X.com (the everything url)?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

this reminded me. if the app does receive any further updates, an <hr> above signatures would be greatly appreciated, and might feel like a good change to make, compared to just moving things around to accommodate elon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Never fix twitter embeds nothing of value has ever been posted on twitter anyway

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Centrist Committee posted:

can THE APP also look for X.com (the everything url)?

I just pushed a fix for this, because I'm procrastinating.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stare-Out posted:

Yes. Please. I've been asking for that forever. It's a neat idea to have the list go on and on but with every refresh at the bottom it always flings a thread I want to find to the top, especially if it just had new posts added and it's a huge pain.

E: And by "the top" I mean literally to the top of the entire massive list of threads I've scrolled through so far.

This would happen with pagination too (and does on the web site). If a thread were on page 3 of your bookmarks, and then while you're looking at page 2 the thread gets updated, it would move to page 1 and you wouldn't see it until you went back. There's no way to get an atomic snapshot of the bookmarked thread state, so it's racy like that.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I just pushed a fix for this, because I'm procrastinating.

o7

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

edit never mind

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Never fix twitter embeds nothing of value has ever been posted on twitter anyway

Dadboner was funny at the beginning

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ty for new TestFlight build lol

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
thank you for the x embed fix, works great

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Skeezy posted:

Ty for new TestFlight build lol

Sweet the per-post ellipsis menu is back to the more sensible (and now more familiar) order!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Test

https://x.com/edballs/status/63623585020915713

neat

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Aren't you glad his name wasn't Harry?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://x.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552?s=20

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I respect Stephen A. Smith for maintaining the bit and casually referencing IMG_4346.jpeg occasionally after all these years but still not revealing what it is.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Quackles posted:

Aren't you glad his name wasn't Harry?

jesus mother making GBS threads christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If we apologise enough can we get imgur upload back please? I miss it so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

If we apologise enough can we get imgur upload back please? I miss it so

Just use the shortcut.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Minor request: can the iPad version (and by extension, Mac OS) support right-click (or secondary click on iPad) to bring up a context menu for images so that they can be copied to the clipboard, or that their image URLs can be copied to the clipboard, et cetera? The share page has been crashing on Mac OS for ages and pulling up the share page is a pain in the rear end by itself. I’m tired of quote-drafting to copy a URL to then copy the image to work around it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

I respect Stephen A. Smith for maintaining the bit and casually referencing IMG_4346.jpeg occasionally after all these years but still not revealing what it is.

I am positive he has no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kefkafloyd posted:

Minor request: can the iPad version (and by extension, Mac OS) support right-click (or secondary click on iPad) to bring up a context menu for images so that they can be copied to the clipboard, or that their image URLs can be copied to the clipboard, et cetera? The share page has been crashing on Mac OS for ages and pulling up the share page is a pain in the rear end by itself. I’m tired of quote-drafting to copy a URL to then copy the image to work around it.

I’m interested in why it crashes on macOS too, I’ll ask pokey to dig out some of those crashes. are you reporting them? if so, could you put “for subjunctive” in the crash notes? and are you on beta or store?

we could do a bunch of mouse and keyboard stuff (like cmd-enter to preview/post!) I think but I probably won’t get to it soon, personally. the crash is more likely to get my attention I think!