Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It honestly would not surprise me if Punk's actions made Vince want him back. Because the sort of poo poo Punk pulled repeatedly strikes me as Vince's broken brain reading it as a source of strength and power and 'taking what you want'.

Of course, this won't last. The only question is how much poo poo Brooks will shovel on his legacy as he keeps falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Hasn't Undertaker been, like, really really pathetic the last decade or so? I mean apart from being an embarrassment in the ring. Made documentaries about what a sad-sack broken loser he is and whatnot, and how returning into the ring over and over again is a symptom of what a huge dorky failure he is in real life.

Maybe Punk just wants to be like a true WWE legend.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Hasn't Undertaker been, like, really really pathetic the last decade or so? I mean apart from being an embarrassment in the ring. Made documentaries about what a sad-sack broken loser he is and whatnot, and how returning into the ring over and over again is a symptom of what a huge dorky failure he is in real life.

this is almost every old wrestler lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they cant retire if they retire thousands of people wont cheer for them every night wrestling breaks your brain in unique ways

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

:vince: does get a vicarious tingle out of other bullies bullying, it would seem. it explains (among lots of other things) his ongoing relationship with his findom, Brock Lesnar :v:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

SatansOnion posted:

:vince: does get a vicarious tingle out of other bullies bullying, it would seem. it explains (among lots of other things) his ongoing relationship with his findom, Brock Lesnar :v:

I feel like Vince McMahon talks about Brock Lesnar the way his best buddy talked about Generals he was considering for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

HE LOOKS LIKE A loving CARNIVORE, 5-STAR EYEBROWS :vince: MEANEST MOTHERFUCKER ON THE PLANET, I CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT HIM :vince:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

brock lesnar realized that wrestling is stupid and the travel schedule was killing him so instead he just holds vince up for millions of dollars to wrestle a couple of times a year he is the smartest man in wrestling

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Blast Hardcheese could retire to his farm and grow corn and be happy until the end of his days, so it's not like it would break his heart for Vince not to give him millions of dollars. It's just nice to fleece the old man while the taking is still good.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
yeah it's a really well-manicured one-sided business relationship, props to Brock and the giant dick tat on his chest

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

When the bar is Kane and Ultimate Warrior, he is not that bad

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

this man look like he saying "PARKER I need 4,000 billion Picture's of Spider Man's gaping rear end in a top hat !!!"

he unironically looks old and crusty

JAnon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

JAnon posted:

this man look like he saying "PARKER I need 4,000 billion Picture's of Spider Man's gaping rear end in a top hat !!!"

he unironically looks old and crusty

OMG that's who musvince (vincstach? McMustache?) has been reminding me of!! Thank you!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he's andrew ryan and he's going to build his wrestling utopia under the ocean

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 10, 2023

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

would not be surprised if Vince brought punk back just to gently caress with him, Vince doesn't forgive or forget

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DIGGING INTO THE LUCHA UNDERGROUND PART 8

As I mentioned last time, Drago was freed from being a slave to the Reptile Tribe. You would think that maybe they would use this momentum to do something semi-important with him. Instead, he got his rear end kicked in a match against “Savage” Jake Strong. Then Aerostar lost to Jake Strong. Then Drago and Aerostar had a handicap match against Jake Strong where they hit him with poison mist and nunchakus and still lost.

Yeah, they were really pushing the former Jack Swagger as a major threat for some reason. It’s not like he was flashy enough to stand out. During his best days in wrestling, Jake came off as a goofball cross between Kurt Angle and Biff Tannen with an extra foot in height. Here, he was just a guy who kept pounding his chest and yelling, “STRONG!” Oh, and he’d also break people’s ankles much like Pentagon would break arms, only with the added sound effect of somebody stepping on a twig.

In the weeks that followed, Swagger won a battle royal, beat Johnny Mundo afterwards because he felt bored, then won a seven-person elimination match for the Gift of the Gods Championship as the crowd chanted "BULLSHIT!" Somewhere in all of that, he had a meeting with Antonio Cueto where he voice started booming like he was some kind of otherworldly being. That’s right, Jake Strong was another Aztec God all along.

Both episodes of Ultima Lucha Cuatro aired on October 31, 2018 with a total of three hours, down two hours from the previous season. For the most part, it was a really solid show.

- The Reptile Tribe successfully defended the trio titles against the Rabbit Tribe and the hastily-thrown-together trio of Ivelisse, XO Lishus, and Sammy Guevara.

- Taya absolutely destroyed Ricky Mundo. Later on, Ricky’s creepy doll revealed itself to be yet another Aztec God and it possessed Taya’s body.

- Son of Havoc defeated Killshot in a Mask vs. Mask Match, which meant very little when their unmasked identities were pretty well-known. They played it up like Killshot was being written out completely, including a scene of him reuniting with Dante Fox backstage (explaining his absence as “special mission”). The two made amends and Killshot walked off into the horizon.

- Fenix defeated El Dragon Azteca Jr. in a Best 2-out-of-3 Falls Match. Fenix remained an evil, drooling boy.

- Willie Mack defeated Mil Muertes and shoved him in a casket.

- Johnny Mundo defeated Matanza Cueto. How did he pull this off? Aerostar gave him the Gauntlet of the Gods just for this match. The whole match was Johnny punching Matanza with the gauntlet while Matanza sold it like being shot out of a cannon.

- Pentagon Dark defeated Marty the Moth for the Lucha Underground Championship in a crazy bloodbath. Afterwards, Vampiro attacked Pentagon and revealed his higher power, a small, flippy guy who sort of looked like Pentagon, though is mask had kind of a samurai helmet style to it. While his name was never mentioned on air, he was apparently Hexagon Dark and he was portrayed by a guy named Australian Suicide.

Hexagon hit a couple cool top-rope moves on Pentagon and then Jake Strong appeared to announce that he was given permission to cash in his Gift of the Gods Championship. This is the THIRD TIME IN A ROW that they pulled this poo poo and it was really getting stupid.

Speaking of stupid, Strong snapped Pentagon’s ankle and the ref awarded Strong the belt due to stoppage. The arena part of the show ended with Jake Strong standing in the ring as the new champion. This was not the kind of heel-stands-tall moment you want to keep people interested in what happens next. Considering the show’s fate, this was really the worst way things could have ended outside of like Joey Ryan winning the gold.

In the show’s final minutes, we saw El Dragon Azteca Jr. hand over the Gauntlet of the Gods to Black Lotus so that she could exact her revenge on Matanza by pulling his heart out Mortal Kombat style. Thanks for the memories, Jeff Cobb. She handed it back to Dragon Azteca, but he was then ambushed by Jake Strong, who declared that the gauntlet, “Belongs to us!” and started smashing it against his chest while yelling, “STRONG!”

Agent Winter, Antonio Cueto, Hexagon Dark, Jake Strong, and the mysterious, cigar-smoking mastermind sat in a limo together, discussing how things were going as planned, other than Matanza’s death. That part saddened Antonio. Finally, we got to see who the cigar-smoking guy was all along.

AND IT WAS BAD NEWS BARRETT?!

Sure, I’m down with that, I guess. He would later explain in an interview that his character's name was going to be the Lord of Wrestling, but they hadn't developed the role much more than that. He just happened to be in town when filming.

The final scene went back a year to Dario’s funeral. Once everyone was gone, Aerostar used some magic to resurrect him. Dario saw Aerostar, sat up, and declared, “What the fu--?!” as the logo cut him off.

That was the end of season 4. And then... that was the end of Lucha Underground. Sure, there was some hope for the people behind the show that they could somehow finagle a fifth season, but nobody was interested in funding it and the wrestlers were really growing restless.

Imagine you’re a wrestler who signed with Lucha Underground years earlier when the wrestling landscape was so barren. Then as this intriguing opportunity ran out of gas, things were so different elsewhere. WWE was hiring indie talent. IMPACT was no longer an embarrassment. NWA’s resurgence had potential. There were rumblings of a new promotion linked to Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks. Japan was booming.

But you can't do anything. You’re under contract for several years and while the people in charge hold out hope that there could be more show eventually, you are stuck unable to go anywhere else where TV is involved. Ivelisse went public with her frustrations as the company said they would release her after the fourth season, but never did. Joey Ryan backed her up on this. King Cuerno started a class action suit to get everyone released.

At the same time, it came out that Lucha Underground contracts were utter garbage. The pay was ridiculously bad and even Ron Funches of all people stated that he was intending to show up as a character on Lucha Underground, only for his manager to look at the contract and insist against it.

The writing was on the wall and Lucha Underground was finally kaput. It was a hell of a ride.

In the aftermath, a couple wrestlers went to WWE. More continued wrestling in AAA. Many circled the indies. A shitload of them have wrestled in AEW in one form or another.

Though of all of those to cross paths with AEW, Ivelisse’s time there is the most infamous. Ivelisse has a reputation as a locker room cancer and Jack Evans claims he tried to warn people about her. Then Ivelisse had a match with Thunder Rosa where she acted incredibly unprofessional (ie. refusing to sell) and didn’t help matters backstage. She did not last long.

Then you get someone like Joey Ryan, whose popularity helped expose him and quickened his downfall. Ryan became a fixture of the independent scene and became part of IMPACT thanks to the novelty of being to wrestle with his dick. The joke was that somebody would try to grope him as an attack, only to flip and bump around like Ryan had that kind of weiner muscle control. It was an amusing bit early on, but when it became his whole thing (including having an army of “penis druids” at the first All In), the power went to his head. Women wrestlers were basically pressured to do the spot in their matches and that sleazy behavior only gave way to a lot of other problematic sexual poo poo he was involved in. His career deep-sixed and he desperately tried several grifts to save face, which went nowhere.

Meanwhile, a fragment of Lucha Underground continues to live on in an unofficial way. A couple years ago, Major League Wrestling started up a spinoff of sorts called Aztec Underground. Mil Muertes – now known as King Muertes – and other Lucha Underground alumni got involved with the shots being called by “El Jefe,” later to be revealed as Dario Cueto. Only now he’s known as Cesar Duran.

They even had "Matanza Duran" show up!

It is a shame that Lucha Underground couldn’t keep it together to reach the finish line, especially knowing that a fifth season would have been able to wrap up before COVID reared its ugly head. They had two amazing seasons, a mostly great season, and a season that lost its way but was still watchable. They just never had the chance to shake off the fact that they were on a very niche TV channel. For a show that was so expensive, they never did much to inhale the money that so many rabid fans were interested in giving them.

It was still a bonkers, cinematic take on wrestling that felt like nothing else on TV. In a perfect world, we would have a Lucha Underground movie tying up all the loose ends, but instead we see Jake Hager standing outside an AEW ring with a goofy hat while we think, “Remember when that grindhouse luchador show went all in on that guy while the walls crumbled around him?”

At least we’ll always have Dario screaming, “LADDER MAAAAAAATCH!!!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlc6OT1OHfM

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

AlmightyBob posted:

would not be surprised if Vince brought punk back just to gently caress with him, Vince doesn't forgive or forget

He might not forgive, but he does forget. Like, a lot. But god help you when he does remember.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK so there's some great poo poo going on right now

Normally AEW Dynamite is on Wednesday but there's basketball or something so Dynamite is now on Tuesday this week (tomorrow). This is also when WWE's NXT show is normally on. Also, hilariously, tomorrow is Tony Khan's (owner and booker of AEW) birthday

Because WWE is the most petty vindictive childish and insecure promotion ever, they called up all their biggest stars who could make it to show up on their C show just to try to stick it to AEW with higher ratings (because in the past AEW has beaten NXT in ratings when they were head-to-head). WWE is literally calling in John Cena, the Undertaker, Becky Lynch, and several other huge names for this just to be as spiteful as possible to AEW. ALSO, they paid to have the first 30 minutes commercial free

So Tony Khan, who in the past said that he's not gonna sit back and take this kinda poo poo, is firing back. He's adding an additional 30 minutes to the show that will be free on youtube, called the Buy In (this is what they also call the free youtube pre-shows for their PPVs). This will also be commercial free. Not only that, but Tony also announced an insane dream match for this Buy In.......... Eddie Kingston vs Minoru Suzuki. This is a strong style fan's wet dream and if you don't know who these guys are you really should. The pre-show starts at 7:30pm EST and you should all watch it just for this match alone

The main show, AEW Dynamite, will be called "Title Tuesday" and will have a ton of title matches on it. Oh yeah and Tony Khan bought a 10 minute overrun slot so there will probably be some crazy main event or some huge announcement like Edge challenging Christian for the TNT title at the next PPV and Christian accepting. IDK I'm making that up something very cool will probably happen after the main show

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

I'm no Hogan, here's my title belt, Gavok. If I could photoshop and SA avatars didn't cost money, I'd put in a new one with AJ not having his belt.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2023

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

happy blirthday Toby Khan. :thumbsup:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1711599850905911787?t=KomS1inj6OXxElodsaS61g&s=19

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tony's going wild on Twitter today and it's amazing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Gavok posted:

Big Biceps Tony (or BBT as he is affectionately known) cannot be contained or constrained

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1711772592191799631?t=YfK_xR8E4voGy32uEGP7MA&s=19

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cocaine Tone has unlimited power

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I just listened to the 83 weeks where Tony Khan talked to Eric Bischoff for the first time. Even as a Bischoff fan myself I just can’t believe how much of a Bischoff simp Tony Khan is. Anyway, that’s all I know about Tony Khan or AEW.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

rally posted:

I just listened to the 83 weeks where Tony Khan talked to Eric Bischoff for the first time. Even as a Bischoff fan myself I just can’t believe how much of a Bischoff simp Tony Khan is. Anyway, that’s all I know about Tony Khan or AEW.

It's even funnier in hindsight when, after not being offered any kind of job with AEW, Bischoff goes from praising the company to making GBS threads on it at every opportunity :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

rally posted:

A lot has changed since then

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is almost every old wrestler lol

I hope Minoru Suzuki can't hear you

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so there's some great poo poo going on right now

Normally AEW Dynamite is on Wednesday but there's basketball or something so Dynamite is now on Tuesday this week (tomorrow). This is also when WWE's NXT show is normally on. Also, hilariously, tomorrow is Tony Khan's (owner and booker of AEW) birthday

Because WWE is the most petty vindictive childish and insecure promotion ever, they called up all their biggest stars who could make it to show up on their C show just to try to stick it to AEW with higher ratings (because in the past AEW has beaten NXT in ratings when they were head-to-head). WWE is literally calling in John Cena, the Undertaker, Becky Lynch, and several other huge names for this just to be as spiteful as possible to AEW. ALSO, they paid to have the first 30 minutes commercial free

So Tony Khan, who in the past said that he's not gonna sit back and take this kinda poo poo, is firing back. He's adding an additional 30 minutes to the show that will be free on youtube, called the Buy In (this is what they also call the free youtube pre-shows for their PPVs). This will also be commercial free. Not only that, but Tony also announced an insane dream match for this Buy In.......... Eddie Kingston vs Minoru Suzuki. This is a strong style fan's wet dream and if you don't know who these guys are you really should. The pre-show starts at 7:30pm EST and you should all watch it just for this match alone

The main show, AEW Dynamite, will be called "Title Tuesday" and will have a ton of title matches on it. Oh yeah and Tony Khan bought a 10 minute overrun slot so there will probably be some crazy main event or some huge announcement like Edge challenging Christian for the TNT title at the next PPV and Christian accepting. IDK I'm making that up something very cool will probably happen after the main show

i watched the preshow but im not giving hulu 70 bucks to watch live tv. is there a legal but cheaper way to watch aew? ive been enjoying the effort posts and clips i see on youtube.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Fite+ is $7.99/mo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Is this accurate

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this accurate

If you're a WWE fan, yeah.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this accurate

I think you will find that Wrestlemania is followed by Wrestlemania Backlash, possibly Wrestlemania Vengeance.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this accurate

For Cody Rhodes, definitely.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Even when I was a kid and was super into WWF I never felt sad after WrestleMania. That person is weird

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

Fite+ is $7.99/mo.

I believe AEW is only available on Fite outside of the US. You could maybe get around this with a VPN, but I don't know if that counts as a legal way to do it.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Super Dan posted:

I believe AEW is only available on Fite outside of the US. You could maybe get around this with a VPN, but I don't know if that counts as a legal way to do it.

VPN & AEW+ on Fite is how I do it and convince myself it's perfectly legal

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

drat aew got smoked in the ratings last night

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Expected, but for being the away team and being up against Cena and Undertaker, it wasn't that bad of a loss.

Great Dynamite though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Even when I was a kid and was super into WWF I never felt sad after WrestleMania. That person is weird

Pretty sure it's just a dumb pun about mania and depression, op.