Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Gynovore posted:

These contractors will pocket a huge amount of what you give them, I think as high as 75%. Yes, that's legal.

Also the Red Cross is really bad, Google it. Really.

Those red cross contractors must be swimming in donated blood :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gynovore posted:

These contractors will pocket a huge amount of what you give them, I think as high as 75%. Yes, that's legal.

Also the Red Cross is really bad, Google it. Really.

The argument is basically "yeah, they're taking most of it, but of the revenue we're actually getting it's 100 times as much as we would have gotten just trying to fundraise ourselves." Which is fair, albeit somewhat depressing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Some country-specific Red Cross organizations are pretty decent. I think the ARC and to some extent the IFRC are uniquely bad.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just found a new one in my Junk folder: it’s a poorly spelled email from a relative to “Joshua” reminding him to keep track of Grandma’s medicine or else it could be fatal, but also could you keep an eye out for the delivery truck?

That’s as far as I can see in the preview. I assume that there is a link to click to “track the truck”

Pretty conniving bullshit

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

dirby posted:

I figure picking up at all tells them you are a number worth bugging since even if you don't fall for this particular call, you'll pick up and might fall for the next one.

These operations are so low-margin low-effort that the overhead of putting down "555-555-5555 is a mark" is probably too much effort. Easier to just spam the entire list all the time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Neito posted:

These operations are so low-margin low-effort that the overhead of putting down "555-555-5555 is a mark" is probably too much effort. Easier to just spam the entire list all the time.

Yeah, I think that's reasonable. Spam calls and emails are pretty much just the old fax spam adapted to different technologies. I still get the occasional fax spam at work, including classic 419 scam stuff.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Professor Shark posted:

Just found a new one in my Junk folder: it’s a poorly spelled email from a relative to “Joshua” reminding him to keep track of Grandma’s medicine or else it could be fatal, but also could you keep an eye out for the delivery truck?

That’s as far as I can see in the preview. I assume that there is a link to click to “track the truck”

Pretty conniving bullshit

It could also be there's no link and it's really trying to bait a reply ("I think you have the wrong address") as the hook for the next stage. I've gotten Nigerian prince style spam that didn't ask me to do anything, just "I am rich but now I'm dying of cancer and I realize what is really important please be good to your family God bless," end of email.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It could also be there's no link and it's really trying to bait a reply ("I think you have the wrong address") as the hook for the next stage. I've gotten Nigerian prince style spam that didn't ask me to do anything, just "I am rich but now I'm dying of cancer and I realize what is really important please be good to your family God bless," end of email.

My all-time favorite 419 scam email (or maybe it was fax) I got ended with a requirement that before me and the scammer split up millions and millions of dollars in ill-gotten gains we had to donate 10% to charity or the scammer would call the deal off. I thought that was a nice touch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In all seriousness this sounds like a joke but it might work for getting the Red Cross off of your case, as Canadian Blood Services does the same harassment and I've seen it work with them.

Again this will sound like a shitpost but it's not: tell them that you're no longer eligible to donate because you handled some monkey brains, so you will never be able to book again.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Someone's finally made a B grade movie about what we all wish we could do to scammers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzINZZ6iqxY

I can't ever imagine one of the Avenger's or Justice League ever doing something like that huh.

I note the FBI's agent helmets are as effective as Stormtrooper armour is to Ewok stone axes and sling shots.

Is honey flammable? Sounds like a question for the OSHA thread.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 5, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Not under normal circumstances. Get it hot for long enough and it'll decompose into amorphous carbon, which in turn can be burned with sufficient effort.
(the above applies only in a normal 20%-oxygen environment. All sorts of things become flammable if excess oxygen is present)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bee grade, surely.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The Lone Badger posted:

Not under normal circumstances. Get it hot for long enough and it'll decompose into amorphous carbon, which in turn can be burned with sufficient effort.
(the above applies only in a normal 20%-oxygen environment. All sorts of things become flammable if excess oxygen is present)

My high school chem teacher lit a gummy bear on fire using some pure oxygen, and I think the mythbusters made a rocket engine out of them?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Neito posted:

My high school chem teacher lit a gummy bear on fire using some pure oxygen, and I think the mythbusters made a rocket engine out of them?

I put them in the microwave and had to throw away the plate. SCIENCE!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neito posted:

poo poo you can set practically anything on fire using pure oxygen.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Dang, the author of this essay meticulously documents how they ended up scammed out of 31k by fraudsters breaking into the email account of a pool contractor they hired and instructing them to send payments using Zelle.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nothing really new here, but a nice, if irreverent, overview of Internet fraud.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Saw an article yesterday where a guy in Singapore wanted to order takeout. The place had him download an app to do the order and they proceeded to drain 50k out of his bank account.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I got an email telling me that I had a new google voice message for a number I haven't paid attention to in years. The message was nothing (literally 30 seconds of silence), but I decided to scroll through the history and found these two gems totally legitimate messages I didn't respond to and so now I'm sitting in Real Prison (transcriptions by google voice):

"You're from the legal department the very second you receive this message. You need to leave your work aside so that we can discuss about your case and take necessary action on this matter in order to connect federal agent, press one, and you will be connected to the concerned Department. If we we don't hear from you, then we will be forced to take took action against you press one and you will be connected to the concerned Department."

"Is 7 Spectre general of Social Security Administration your social security number has been suspended. We would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case. Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda. This is the final reminder from the office of Inspector General of Social Security Administration. Your social security number has been suspended. We would require you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case. Thanks you"

"Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda." made me laugh.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

beats for junkies posted:

"Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda."

The Something Awful Forums > Ask / Tell > Tell me about common cons/scams: "Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I got an email telling me that I had a new google voice message for a number I haven't paid attention to in years. The message was nothing (literally 30 seconds of silence), but I decided to scroll through the history and found these two gems totally legitimate messages I didn't respond to and so now I'm sitting in Real Prison (transcriptions by google voice):

"You're from the legal department the very second you receive this message. You need to leave your work aside so that we can discuss about your case and take necessary action on this matter in order to connect federal agent, press one, and you will be connected to the concerned Department. If we we don't hear from you, then we will be forced to take took action against you press one and you will be connected to the concerned Department."

"Is 7 Spectre general of Social Security Administration your social security number has been suspended. We would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case. Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda. This is the final reminder from the office of Inspector General of Social Security Administration. Your social security number has been suspended. We would require you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case. Thanks you"

Can you post the audio?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Volmarias posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Ask / Tell > Tell me about common cons/scams: "Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

There's a reason Paul F Tompkins used to have a section of his podcast where he just read aloud Google Voice transcriptions of messages he received, it's never not funny how it screws up in minor ways that totally change the intended tone and meaning.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
My father unfortunately passed away 2 weeks ago (RIP Dad :() As early as the day after his death my mother began getting calls nearly every hour from unknown and spam numbers. She's been answering these numbers because it might be family or friends we haven't heard from in a while but almost without fail it's some spammer asking for my father. Makes me sick to think of these pigs getting excited about the prospect of taking advantage of a grieving widow, but it's not at all surprising.

My mother's never been very tech savvy so my brother and I have been working hard to get everything with my dad's name on it either canceled or transferred to my mother's name. All utilities, bank accounts, vehicle registrations, phone lines, etc. We've also advised my mother to be extra cautious at this time because scammers would love to get a piece of the enormous financial pie my dad left behind. (he was a diligent saver and investor)

Anyone here had to deal with scams or fraud that came up after a family member or loved one's death? Also, any tips or things to look out for in general would be great as well. The last thing I want is to let some thief take advantage of my family during a vulnerable time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The big thing I taught my mother is to never click a link in an email or agree to anything on a phone call she didn’t initiate. Get a call from the bank about something? Hang up, go to the bank website, get the assistance phone number from the site, call that number and ask about it. Get an email about an invoice or something? Ignore the link, go to the website, check your messages/orders/etc there.

Always be the one who initiates the information exchange so that you know who is on the other side of it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sorry about your dad.

I don’t know how to say this tactfully, but another thing to watch out for are new “gentlemen” who suddenly appear from nowhere. We had a family friend who inherited from her father and within a year half of it was gone thanks to a guy who showed up when the money came through.

Her kids had to work really hard to convince her this guy was trouble.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The easiest and safest way (but not cheapest) to handle it would be to hire an estate lawyer that your mom can point everyone to. Legitimate callers will be fine with dealing with the lawyer since it is common and means their concerns will be dealt with promptly and professionally, so your mom can safely hang up on anyone who pushes back.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

CommonShore posted:

In all seriousness this sounds like a joke but it might work for getting the Red Cross off of your case, as Canadian Blood Services does the same harassment and I've seen it work with them.

Again this will sound like a shitpost but it's not: tell them that you're no longer eligible to donate because you handled some monkey brains, so you will never be able to book again.

Too convoluted. Just say you’re a man who has sex with men.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Doesn't work in the US anymore.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Sorry about your dad.

I don’t know how to say this tactfully, but another thing to watch out for are new “gentlemen” who suddenly appear from nowhere. We had a family friend who inherited from her father and within a year half of it was gone thanks to a guy who showed up when the money came through.

Her kids had to work really hard to convince her this guy was trouble.

We're not too worried about that- my mother is 72 years old and generally keeps to herself. She and my dad were married almost 43 years so she has zero ambition to date anyone, at least as far as I know. I doubt she's looking for a new man to give all her money to.

But point taken. If in the extremely rare chance she meets someone my brother and I will keep an eye out on her finances. She's always let my dad handle finances and is overwhelmed by all this, so she has given both of us full access to all her financial accounts and information.

Vinny the Shark fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 10, 2023

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Thinking about teaching a parrot to say "Thanks, you suck. Hello, this is Linda."

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

My sister is a funeral director. She checked yes to a lot of boxes about super rare diseases. They asked if she understood what those diseases were and when she said yes they handed her a cookie and said she was not eligible to donate ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you can do a good British accent, time to put it to some good use.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you can do a good British accent, time to put it to some good use.

I've heard that Hugh Laurie does a really good British accent (the guy from House)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Few things amuse me more than the reactions of people watching him host SNL using his real accent and getting mind blown.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the first season of Avenue 5 and it was really funny how people started panicking when he stopped using his fake British accent

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I've been watching Jeeves and Wooster (someone has uploaded them all to YouTube) and even though I knew him as a sketch performer with Stephen Fry first and foremost, these days it still feels odd to see him speaking with what is mostly his own accent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Professor Shark posted:

I watched the first season of Avenue 5 and it was really funny how people started panicking when he stopped using his fake British accent

I love how it slipped a bit in the first episode before the reveal and I genuinely thought somehow it was a mistake.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

helno posted:

My sister is a funeral director. She checked yes to a lot of boxes about super rare diseases. They asked if she understood what those diseases were and when she said yes they handed her a cookie and said she was not eligible to donate ever.

Speaking of Funeral directors, if you havent heard, apparently any sort of license or certification is not needed to practice in the state of Colorado!

https://www.koaa.com/news/news5-investigates/state-records-penrose-funeral-home-owner-attempted-to-conceal-improperly-stored-remains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ayyyy lmao