Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like how it just kind of peeks up later all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone have a guide for finding a good fit for the headset? I have a larger than average head and so far it feels extremely tight.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone have a guide for finding a good fit for the headset? I have a larger than average head and so far it feels extremely tight.

Normal or elite strap?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Turin Turambar posted:

Normal or elite strap?

Normal/stock Q3 strap.

Found this video Meta released today on setup, gonna try it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPQQ6vHlIN0

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone get a tracking number for the preorder yet? Mine's still sitting idle, will be funny if Walmart actually overnights them all due to the holiday.

Going to be super surprised if this actually arrived tomorrow since it apparently hasn't even shipped yet. Ah well!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Just got mine.

The stock strap still super sucks and BoboVR has not yet opened up orders for the M2 to Quest 3 retrofit kit.

Refreshing that page like a madman.

Edit: in case anyone needs it: https://a.co/d/f9bVozZ

DP: I really hope they do an interface for their quest 2 fan as well. That stupid little fan has been amazing for cooling my face.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked mine up on lunch break, didn't have a whole lot of time to play with it. Lenses seem like a MASSIVE improvement, much more noticeable than I was expecting. Can't wait to test this out in MSFS 2020.

I also picked up the elite battery strap, seems pretty comfortable in the 10 min I had it on. I prefer it to the DAS on the Quest 2, so far at least.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
The Q3 I ordered wasnt supposed to arrive until the 11th, and it showed up this AM. Never was able to track it with UPS until after it arrived. Got it charging now until i get a break at work to toy around with it.

Stuck with the stock strap for a bit until Bobo VR gets their M3 pro available. Was thinking about getting the adapter when it comes up, but I figure keep the M2 on the Q2 for the kids/wife to use. Stock strap is "usable" but not as comfy as the M2.

Syves fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 10, 2023

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Removing the passthrough charge port on the elite strap to try selling more charge docks is such a dick move.
I'm going to wait for a third party solution before I upgrade from the regular strap now :mad:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

r u ready to WALK posted:

Removing the passthrough charge port on the elite strap to try selling more charge docks is such a dick move.
I'm going to wait for a third party solution before I upgrade from the regular strap now :mad:

I believe Norm issued a correction and there is still pass through

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bondematt posted:

Just got mine.

The stock strap still super sucks and BoboVR has not yet opened up orders for the M2 to Quest 3 retrofit kit.

Refreshing that page like a madman.

Edit: in case anyone needs it: https://a.co/d/f9bVozZ

DP: I really hope they do an interface for their quest 2 fan as well. That stupid little fan has been amazing for cooling my face.

The link came up for a sec and it was listed at $16, couldn't add to cart so don't think it qas live yet.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Syves posted:

The Q3 I ordered wasnt supposed to arrive until the 11th, and it showed up this AM. Never was able to track it with UPS until after it arrived. Got it charging now until i get a break at work to toy around with it.

Stuck with the stock strap for a bit until Bobo VR gets their M3 pro available. Was thinking about getting the adapter when it comes up, but I figure keep the M2 on the Q2 for the kids/wife to use. Stock strap is "usable" but not as comfy as the M2.

Yesterday mine went from arriving today, to arriving on thursday, and now finally to tomorrow "before 10:30am".

Oh well.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone with a quest 3 feel like it’s a 100% worthwhile upgrade from the 2 considering the price? I know it’s early on launch day but I’ve reserved one for pickup later and I’d like to get some real feedback before I crack it open and find myself disappointed

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone with a quest 3 feel like it’s a 100% worthwhile upgrade from the 2 considering the price? I know it’s early on launch day but I’ve reserved one for pickup later and I’d like to get some real feedback before I crack it open and find myself disappointed

The lenses are tits. I haven't had a chance to game yet, but expecting it to feel much less like binoculars/nods and more like heavy goggles.

The weight feels pretty weird without a battery on the back though, might see if I can just hook one to the strap for now. Feels about as weird as the Quest 2 did without a battery behind my head.

Edit: Passthrough is a bit grainy, but coming from whatever the hell the Quest 2 was doing I'll take it.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 10, 2023

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The dickhead Unity CEO resigned. I’ll feel better about messing with it now.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have an extra Q2 elite battery strap, and one DAS (attached to a Q1), so I'm just holding out for a 3D printable adapter or whatever.

Zenni optical said they'd ship my rx inserts "by Oct 10" when they pocketed my order but it's still sitting in "processing".

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Eyes Have It posted:

I have an extra Q2 elite battery strap, and one DAS (attached to a Q1), so I'm just holding out for a 3D printable adapter or whatever.

Zenni optical said they'd ship my rx inserts "by Oct 10" when they pocketed my order but it's still sitting in "processing".

Same, gonna be weird playing with contacts.

I tried to adjust IPD without and it took me two full cranks to realize it was never not gonna be blurry.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

akadajet posted:

The dickhead Unity CEO resigned. I’ll feel better about messing with it now.

They have learned nothing and are still dead. The CEO resigning is a calculated move specifically to get people to go "wow our national nightmare is over"

Absolutely nothing has changed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I've seen people saying the rest of the execs who were also pushing those changes are still there and it's just a public sacrifice to take the heat off the company for a while.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

Yeah I've seen people saying the rest of the execs who were also pushing those changes are still there and it's just a public sacrifice to take the heat off the company for a while.

Its enough time to finish any projects under old ToS though. Which is our plan. Finish up anything unity that needs to be unity still and move the gently caress on.

Leathal posted:

Last time I did this (which, admittedly, was like six months ago), you were stuck using the same avatar.

But the absolute worst thing is that you can’t ball hunt in shared account multiplayer. Hated it so much that I just pirated an extra PC copy of the game and had one player on PCVR, the other on standalone.

Couldn't just buy a second copy to support the devs, had to steal one. I love when people who can afford VR and PCVR can't just buck up and spend the money. Classy dude., Classy.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Few more things I've noticed so far:

The Quest 3 Elite Strap feels much less secure than the one on the Quest 2, I think i need to mess with it more, but the thing feels like it's going to fall off when I tilt my head too far. It feels lighter than the Quest 2, but comfort levels are similar.

I am really missing the hand straps I have on the Q2 controllers. Got the official (absurdly priced) ones on order as they're the only ones that don't involve a controller condom but replace the battery door instead. They should really come standard.

The lenses have a bit of bloom when looking at a light object on a dark background but nothing like the god rays on the Q2. The sweet spot is much much larger, you lose contrast if you're not properly centered. Sharpness is p good to the corners.

At my IPD and minimum face distance, I can see the edges of the screen, the Tested review guy was right to describe it as 'scalloped,' the FOV feels much wider overall but that might at least in part be because I can get my eyes closer to the lenses. Standard facial interface is pretty good, a lot less light leakage versus the Q2, will see what VR cover comes out with.

The analog sticks on the controllers are noticeably wobblier/looser than the ones on the Q2, which sucks. Maybe I just got bad ones.

Everything feels pretty snappy, games load/exit much faster.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

pantsfree posted:

The analog sticks on the controllers are noticeably wobblier/looser than the ones on the Q2, which sucks. Maybe I just got bad ones.

That could be possible; I haven't gotten to test mine too much yet but so far they're not noticeably different than the sticks on my Q2

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I ordered this headstrap. It had a 20% discount today, and includes the face gasket cover, and black headset cover, If it isn't decent i'll just return it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJ2CRG2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the elite headstrap on the Quest 2 and returned it. Weight balance is the name of the game. The most comfortable setup I got was attaching about 200 grams of weight to the back of a third party strap so that the center of gravity is on the top of your head. No pressure on your face at all. You can loosen the headstrap. It's great for long sessions of sit down pcvr games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ChocNitty posted:

I ordered this headstrap. It had a 20% discount today, and includes the face gasket cover, and black headset cover, If it isn't decent i'll just return it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJ2CRG2B/

I tried the elite headstrap on the Quest 2 and returned it. Weight balance is the name of the game. The most comfortable setup I got was attaching about 200 grams of weight to the back of a third party strap so that the center of gravity is on the top of your head. No pressure on your face at all. You can loosen the headstrap. It's great for long sessions of sit down pcvr games.

It's only $20 more for one with batteries, which is naturally gonna give you the counterweight: https://www.amazon.com/Eyglo-Compatible-Replacement-Charging-Extended/dp/B0CJ58CKS7

8000mah is pretty generous for those too, and it has power passthrough.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
OK so update on the Bobo VR retrofit kit. Apparently it was up this morning and sold out well before 10am Pacific. hooraaaay.

Good news is someone made adapter plates which only take about a bit over hour to print on the Bambu. https://makerworld.com/en/models/38160#profileId-36895

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 11, 2023

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I don’t have or ever had a VR headset, is this a good choice for my first?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I don’t have or ever had a VR headset, is this a good choice for my first?

I would say just buy it from Walmart so you have the Jan 31st free return. It is the most beginner-friendly headset by far with the high definition passthrough and automatic room mapping.

If you don't like it you can bring it back (tell them it made you motion sick, no cashier is going to argue over that without looking like an rear end in a top hat).

If you do like it, but didn't "500 dollars" like it, you could see what a used Quest 2 costs by then. Right now they're at $160 for complete kits, and in January would probably be sub-$100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126130780219

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I would say just buy it from Walmart so you have the Jan 31st free return. It is the most beginner-friendly headset by far with the high definition passthrough and automatic room mapping.

If you don't like it you can bring it back (tell them it made you motion sick, no cashier is going to argue over that without looking like an rear end in a top hat).

If you do like it, but didn't "500 dollars" like it, you could see what a used Quest 2 costs by then. Right now they're at $160 for complete kits, and in January would probably be sub-$100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126130780219

Beautiful!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just bought this. Hoping it doesn't suck. Should know tomorrow.

Bioherm Head Strap with Battery for Oculus Quest 2, 10000mAh Battery Pack for Extended 8 Hrs of Playtime, Fast Charging VR Power, Adjustable Elite Strap Enhanced Support and Balance in VR https://a.co/d/ithQjxM

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Bondematt posted:

OK so update on the Bobo VR retrofit kit. Apparently it was up this morning and sold out well before 10am Pacific. hooraaaay.

Good news is someone made adapter plates which only take about a bit over hour to print on the Bambu. https://makerworld.com/en/models/38160#profileId-36895

Oh that's perfect, I can simply reuse my old elite strap and carry case.
The same adapter is uploaded to printables too for other 3d printers https://www.printables.com/model/609529-meta-quest-3-quest-2-head-strap-adapter/files

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Dungeons of Eternity is good fun, though I can see how it'll get boring quick due to lack of enemy variety.

It is in DESPERATE need of an arachnophobia mode, however.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The same adapter is uploaded to printables too for other 3d printers https://www.printables.com/model/609529-meta-quest-3-quest-2-head-strap-adapter/files

Whelp, fits the Quest 3 perfectly, but it's too shallow for the Bobo part. Just made that part larger in fusion and will be posting as a remix if it works out.

Also the Quest 3 retrofit for the BoboVR is up, but not shipping until November-Decenber lol. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJMGK92N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

There's already a BOBOVR M2 adapter as well: https://www.printables.com/model/609928-quest-3-bobovr-m2-adapter

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

Its enough time to finish any projects under old ToS though. Which is our plan. Finish up anything unity that needs to be unity still and move the gently caress on.

But does Unreal Engine have equivalent support for VR? I thought people preferred Unity for VR related dev

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just bought this. Hoping it doesn't suck. Should know tomorrow.

Bioherm Head Strap with Battery for Oculus Quest 2, 10000mAh Battery Pack for Extended 8 Hrs of Playtime, Fast Charging VR Power, Adjustable Elite Strap Enhanced Support and Balance in VR https://a.co/d/ithQjxM

That's a Quest 2 strap, so you're gonna need a 3D printed adapter or clever ziptie arrangements for Q3.

I have two similar Q2 battery straps to that and they both have worked fine for a year, though they are a little finicky about passing charge through. Basically if you have them plugged in to the Q2 and put them on a charger, they will charge themselves but not the Q2 unless you click the little button on them to turn then "on" so they charge themselves and the Q2 together. I think they all come from the same one or two factories so there's not much variance.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KinkyJohn posted:

But does Unreal Engine have equivalent support for VR? I thought people preferred Unity for VR related dev

Yes. UE is quite decent for VR these days.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KinkyJohn posted:

Lots of Oculus made experiences are done with UE: Oculus first steps, Oculus first contact, Bogo, RE4 VR... also the best looking games like Moss 1/2, Red Matter 1/2, Robo Recall, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge, Horizon Call of the Mountain, Hubris...

Small Indie devs prefer Unity, but that preference exists in general, outside of VR too. UE is more for AA-AAA devs, it requires deeper technical knowledge, it uses C++ instead of C#, etc

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

That's a Quest 2 strap, so you're gonna need a 3D printed adapter or clever ziptie arrangements for Q3.

I have two similar Q2 battery straps to that and they both have worked fine for a year, though they are a little finicky about passing charge through. Basically if you have them plugged in to the Q2 and put them on a charger, they will charge themselves but not the Q2 unless you click the little button on them to turn then "on" so they charge themselves and the Q2 together. I think they all come from the same one or two factories so there's not much variance.

Ah, forgot to mention I have a q2. I'd like a 3 but right now it's just way too much to throw at a maybe.

I gotta admit though, I am loving loving remote access to my PC. Virtual desktop is awesome.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How's the comfort level of the Quest 3 compared to the 2? I always found the Quest 2 to put way too much weight on my face, even with modded straps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Where’s the best place to sell my Quest 2?