Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Grimtooth's Traps if you want to be a real stinker

I haven't tried it , but I think Grimtooth's material could be fun with a right framing. OOC, tell the players you're about experience a dungeon filled with The World's Most Bullshit Traps and IC, have find magical VR helmets and delve into this messed-up illusion where everything is super-gamey and they have multiple lives like in an arcade and they have to get to the end of it to find out something important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Megazver posted:

In no particular order:

Wally DM's Journal of Puzzle Encounters

NERZUGAL’S DUNGEON MASTER TOOLKIT 1-4

The Game Master's Book of Traps, Puzzles and Dungeons

Puzzle Master Volume 1

Puzzles, Predicaments, and Perplexities 1-3

The Do-It-Yourself Escape Room Book

Book of Challenges: Dungeon Rooms, Puzzles, and Traps*

Puzzles for Players by Mark Clark

Puzzlecraft: The Ultimate Guide on How to Construct Every Kind of Puzzle

Books by Martin Gardner and Raymond Smullyan

Could you say more about any of these? I'm curious.

How much are the puzzles things players solve vs things characters solve?

How much do they try to make sense diegetically as a thing someone might actually run into?

How difficult are they? How mathy?

And anything else you could say, if you're willing to take the time!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Honestly, just read Martin Gardner and Raymond Smullyan if you like puzzles in general; they're both good as hell

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

Could you say more about any of these? I'm curious.

Most of them in most of these books are pretty basic, but there's usually one or two neat ones in each one. It's usual D&D puzzle stuff - position items in some order based on a clue, move through a trapped tile floor, figure out what the magic keyword is based on a riddle, etc.

Gardner and Smullyan books are classic puzzle books, but most of the puzzles there are not something I'd drop on a D&D group.

quote:

How much are the puzzles things players solve vs things characters solve?

I'm not sure how a character would solve a puzzle in a TRPG, beyond rolling an Int check.

quote:

How much do they try to make sense diegetically as a thing someone might actually run into?

Usually only if you're willing to believe there was someone who was so into screwing with adventurers, they'd set up some bullshit puzzles for them to solve.

quote:

How difficult are they? How mathy?

Being mathy is generally a no-no for D&D puzzles, imo.

quote:

And anything else you could say, if you're willing to take the time!

Well, since we're chatting I can tell you about a couple of puzzles I've used before.

Puzzle 1: There is an outline of a door in a cave wall and some inlaid letters - SNORE TO PROCEED. My players spent some time snoring real loud, and casting Sleep on the person with the least HP to make them fall asleep, and tossing the unconscious PC head first at the portal hoping they'd be able to pass through. (Lol, but no.) Eventually they found out touching the letters resulted in some haptic feedback. SNORE TO PROCEED is an anagram for OPEN SECRET DOOR which you have to touch in order to open the magic door.

Puzzle 2: So being mathy is generally a no-no, but I enjoy playing up how mean I am as a GM as kayfabe with groups that know me well, so:

They come upon a hefty vault door in an underground chamber. There is a geometry problem that I found by googling "hardest geometry problem" painted on the door with "Find the X" written below it. There are also five golem guards in the room in front of the door, positioned in an X pattern. (Although it's not super obvious, because they're pretty far apart.) We're playing on Roll20 - this is important, since the golem token in the center is set up to be moveable by players. If they slide it away, the X they need to find is underneath it, painted on the button that opens the vault door.

Here's how it worked out for me: One of the players discovered the moveable golem and PM'd me, like, hey bro is one of the tokens set up wrong? I replied no, it's all working as intended, feel free to move it whenever you feel like solving the puzzle. But it was the end of the session, so we stopped on that and by the next week one of the players, who's a smartie, actually solved the geometry puzzle the hard way. So she says the solution out loud, the door opens, and then the other guy awkwardly shows everyone the button, lol.

The mercy failsafe for the puzzle was them doing something that made the golems attack, and then the button would be eventually become visible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
For Indigenous People day, Coyote and Crow decided to give out a PDF copy of their game for free.

This exposed a lot of new people to the game.

Reddit has been melting down over three days as white people mald over how combative, rude, racist, exclusionary, and insulting...a polite request not to be racist is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh cool, a bunch of people who don't deserve to have a good day, are having a bad time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nice, always glad to hear what reddit thinks about race issues

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

For Indigenous People day, Coyote and Crow decided to give out a PDF copy of their game for free.

Reddit has been melting down over three days as white people mald over how combative, rude, racist, exclusionary, and insulting...a polite request not to be racist is.

I bought this awhile back, and the setting kind of sucks because of it being written from a place of fear. There are a bunch of these in the book, where they basically say "if you belong to a tribe, then your tribal and their customers are in here! If you don't, then don't use them, even if you read about them.". The default setting for the game is really bare bones in terms of exactly what the setting is. If you're not allowed to use any real world inspiration on Native American history or mythology, then there's actual very little in the setting other than names. The exceptions are the handful of examples just kind of tossed into the book with little to no explanation of where they came from, which make them less interesting that the google search of their names.

The main theme of the setting is you're all Native Americans who've never met anyone outside of North America. You pretending to be Native American is the core conceit of the game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Nice, always glad to hear what reddit thinks about race issues

It's kinda dumb to do sweeping statements like reddit too considering different SRs have different cultures

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Subreddits also tend to be either really over or under moderated, with the former leading to new sub reddits that are the later.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I got C&C when I saw Cam Banks talking about it on Twitter, and I got two or three pages in before I said "Welp, I'm glad this exists, and I'm glad I got it, but I will never, ever play this game."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

I got C&C when I saw Cam Banks talking about it on Twitter, and I got two or three pages in before I said "Welp, I'm glad this exists, and I'm glad I got it, but I will never, ever play this game."

I feel the exact same. It's very cool that it exists, but I am absolutely not who it was written for (my family emigrated to America from Sweden in the 1930s) and I would feel very uncomfortable reffing or playing it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If everyone is that concerned about someone playing the game wrong, it should have been a novel or a gamebook or something, tbh.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 11, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Megazver posted:

Puzzle 1: SNORE TO PROCEED.

Puzzle 2: "Find the X"

I love both of these and am going to steal them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its funny to get tilted over that stuff because the book has no power over you. you can do whatever yuo want. hack the mechanics and the setting and make it whatever. homebrew it until its barely recognizable. play whoever you want. who gives a poo poo

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

its funny to get tilted over that stuff because the book has no power over you. you can do whatever yuo want. hack the mechanics and the setting and make it whatever. homebrew it until its barely recognizable. play whoever you want. who gives a poo poo

The key part of this learning is to not post about doing so on the internet, because you will get lit the gently caress up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

I love both of these and am going to steal them.

Thanks! Here's another one, just for you:

There is a standard 1234567890 keypad that unlocks whatever it is you want the players to get into. None of the buttons are appreciably worn out. When you face the keypad there is this pattern on the wall:

There is also a McGuffin in the room that will flood it with enough DEATH ENERGY to take some but not all party members down to 0 HP if you don't do the right series of manipulations with the keypad, because brute forcing is no fun.

What do you do?

Bonus points if you can tell me what webcomic I borrowed the idea from.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Megazver posted:

There is a standard 1234567890 keypad that unlocks whatever it is you want the players to get into. None of the buttons are appreciably worn out. When you face the keypad there is this pattern on the wall:

There is also a McGuffin in the room that will flood it with enough DEATH ENERGY to take some but not all party members down to 0 HP if you don't do the right series of manipulations with the keypad, because brute forcing is no fun.

What do you do?

Pull the keypad off the wall and short out the connection.

Or add extra symbols for giggles.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought this awhile back, and the setting kind of sucks because of it being written from a place of fear. There are a bunch of these in the book, where they basically say "if you belong to a tribe, then your tribal and their customers are in here! If you don't, then don't use them, even if you read about them.". The default setting for the game is really bare bones in terms of exactly what the setting is. If you're not allowed to use any real world inspiration on Native American history or mythology, then there's actual very little in the setting other than names. The exceptions are the handful of examples just kind of tossed into the book with little to no explanation of where they came from, which make them less interesting that the google search of their names.

The main theme of the setting is you're all Native Americans who've never met anyone outside of North America. You pretending to be Native American is the core conceit of the game.

This sounds like the inverse of Legend of the Five Ring's setting, which is a little bit racist what with the misused terms and the made-up Japanese names, but there are many setting details to pull from when making a character or campaign.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, while I respect the right of people to decide that they don't want their cultural heritage used for entertainment by outsiders, it doesn't really seem compatible with releasing a mass-marketed creative entertainment product about that heritage. It almost feels like commentary about how many roleplaying products will never be played, and may not even be intended to be played, but I'd at least like to imagine I can get my bathroom-reader games to the table eventually, you know?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I had a similar thought about Dungeon Bitches. The dev posted the preview materials on RPGnet and all the replies were "wow this is cool, I'll never play it!" as though that was supposed to be a compliment.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Covok posted:

"it's not their job to teach you" is a really counterproductive thing to say if you're interested in indigenous justice or any other liberation movement. if somebody likes and trusts you enough to be stuck in the same room as you for 4-8 hours every week then you're in a better position than anybody else on earth to tell them a thing or two about how poo poo sucks and what to do to maybe make it suck a little bit less.

or i guess you can just throw that golden opportunity into the garbage and let google lead them to a prager u video. your call i guess

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I had a similar thought about Dungeon Bitches. The dev posted the preview materials on RPGnet and all the replies were "wow this is cool, I'll never play it!" as though that was supposed to be a compliment.

There is a game I thought that about : Hungry Desperate and Alone. It was absolutely a compliment, but I can’t imagine thinking it about anything else.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chakan posted:

There is a game I thought that about : Hungry Desperate and Alone. It was absolutely a compliment, but I can’t imagine thinking it about anything else.

There's some others I can think of in the "interesting but basically unusable for actual gaming purposes" like Black Sun Deathcrawl but yeah not a very common thing

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

EightFlyingCars posted:

"it's not their job to teach you" is a really counterproductive thing to say if you're interested in indigenous justice or any other liberation movement. if somebody likes and trusts you enough to be stuck in the same room as you for 4-8 hours every week then you're in a better position than anybody else on earth to tell them a thing or two about how poo poo sucks and what to do to maybe make it suck a little bit less.

or i guess you can just throw that golden opportunity into the garbage and let google lead them to a prager u video. your call i guess

The book does say you can ask them questions, but don't expect people to answer and don't expect them to know everything and don't be shocked if they don't have want to give the labor needed to educate you. This is an issue every single minority group faces. It's an extremely common complaint found across multiple different minority groups that their majority friends expect them to do all the work educating them. Sometimes, you don't mind, but the weird entitlement to it that people have is tiring in ways that people cannot begin to understand unless you experience it.

Edit: This was more combative than intended but it's just a very...off thing to say.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 12, 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I feel this is an uncharitable take. I mean, if it helps illustrate it, the book is basically asking you not to do the equivalent of playing a Japanese game where everyone is constantly talking about tea, always talking about their honor, and everyone is a Samurai or a ninja. It might sound like an extreme example, but I take this as "a lot of our media portrayals are not accurate or flattering so please refrain from it. Also, don't be THAT GUY who thinks he knows everything about Japan because he watches anime, if you get what I mean."

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah. The author was a panelist at a con I was at, and the setting looked really neat so I bought the PDF, because I wanted to read it and support the author in some small way, but I know it's not a game I'll ever run, and likely never play.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Megazver posted:

What do you do?

Homestuck

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Covok posted:

The book does say you can ask them questions, but don't expect people to answer and don't expect them to know everything and don't be shocked if they don't have want to give the labor needed to educate you. This is an issue every single minority group faces. It's an extremely common complaint found across multiple different minority groups that their majority friends expect them to do all the work educating them. Sometimes, you don't mind, but the weird entitlement to it that people have is tiring in ways that people cannot begin to understand unless you experience it.

Edit: This was more combative than intended but it's just a very...off thing to say.

i probably could have worded myself better too. i need to stop posting while hangry.

reading it again, honestly i think that section is just awkwardly written. you're absolutely right that the game tries to be nuanced about how settler/non-indigenous players should conduct themselves at the table, including how to respectfully ask questions about the game, but this comes right after the game tells indigenous players "do not ever feel like you have to educate non-Native players at the table". tonally, these feel like mixed messages to me.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Now I just wanna play L5R again. I never did get to be a shugenja during any of my campaigns I was in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

i probably could have worded myself better too. i need to stop posting while hangry.

reading it again, honestly i think that section is just awkwardly written. you're absolutely right that the game tries to be nuanced about how settler/non-indigenous players should conduct themselves at the table, including how to respectfully ask questions about the game, but this comes right after the game tells indigenous players "do not ever feel like you have to educate non-Native players at the table". tonally, these feel like mixed messages to me.

I don't think so. I think its fair to say it's okay to ask questions to one group and not to feel like you have to answer to the other. The writer might have felt that some indigenous people might be apprehensive playing the game because they might be expected to be enclopyedias or the experts. And this was to reassure them not to feel pressured. I can see it, honestly.

It isn't perfect, but I also feel like the author, who is Cherokee, would be perfectly in their right to be hyper aggressive if they wanted to, given the poo poo indigenous people have endured and how lovely people can be. Hell, to be honest, the author had a real one on their blog because the backlash to this very mild, polite request was so inflammatory they kind of snapped a bit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Megazver posted:

What do you do?

Do you just turn your head sideways to see that it reads 38069 from top to bottom?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My question is 'why would you play C&C with randos'. I'd imagine if you're running this you're running it with friends or people close to you.

On the topic of representation, I've been reading the Zeitgest module for EN's Advanced 5E and it's extremely disappointing they made absolutely no effort to ensure the Spanish used for names and such was at all correct. Like, Google Translate would've done a better job with it than the authors of the book did. We're talking extremely basic stuff like forgetting plural nouns take plural adjectives or what order words are supposed to be in in a sentence.

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 12, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

Do you just turn your head sideways to see that it reads 38069 from top to bottom?

you are a powerful galaxybrain

shockingly, not everyone is good at headturning

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Megazver posted:

Well, the first thing I did was turn my head the other way and be like 6... 9... 0... 8... hang on.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Megazver posted:

Embarrassingly, I am one of those people.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Megazver posted:

Paranatural?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I get (foolishly) stuck on verisimilitude with that sort of puzzle, because to me, while we're all speaking english (or whatever) at the game table, of course the characters in the game aren't. Nor would they be using arabic numerals. We're translating, right? So then, puzzles based on english-spelled words or arabic numerals kind of break that wall a little.

I don't know how to do it a different way though.

They're "actually" speaking the Frump dialect of Argellian, which derived from a trade-pidgin between the old elvish Lethlorrial and dwarvish Krogth around four hundred years ago, and since both of those cultures used base-12, the numbering system is base-ten (to accommodate the local human and halfling populations) but uses the single-glyph notations for 11, 12, 21, 22, etc....

Now, make a puzzle that is somehow solvable by the players at the table using these facts, which I guess they'd all sort of inherently understand and the ones with knowledge: history would have details of? Do I expect them to puzzle over written references I've made, just to try and figure out how to rearrange some letters to make an anagram of one phrase that is another phrase in that language and then just tell them their characters know what each phrase means?

The result is I don't put many puzzles in my non-modern games, which is a shame.

one option I've thought of borrows from that scene in raiders where the old guy in egypt translates the mcguffin, you need a staff so long, but then flips it over but subtract one etc. But that's still not really the players solving things, it's the characters going to the trouble to find a source and the source gives them the right info.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 12, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Paranatural?

you are the webcomic wizard

Leperflesh posted:

I get (foolishly) stuck on verisimilitude with that sort of puzzle, because to me, while we're all speaking english (or whatever) at the game table, of course the characters in the game aren't. Nor would they be using arabic numerals. We're translating, right? So then, puzzles based on english-spelled words or arabic numerals kind of break that wall a little.

The written handouts aren't actually in English either. If you, the player, really really care about this, I'll gently explain that what your characters are looking at are sigils they'd actually use in that world, writing down the language that they actually speak, and the handout you're looking at is a translated representation of that artifact.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so when they say "ohwa tagoo siam" they're not really saying that, they're saying some similar and equivalent goofy-rear end poo poo