Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Keith Giffen, Co-Creator Of Rocket Raccoon & Lobo, Has Died, Aged 70

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/keith-giffen-co-creator-rocket-raccoon-lobo-died-aged-70/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

He was one of my favorite comic book writers. RIP dude. You wrote so many good books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh, that sucks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oh gently caress.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Oh no :(

This one hits hard because Keith co-created Justice League International which had a tremendous impact on me as a kid and helped make me a DC fan. Rest in Peace sir!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Griffen JLI was the majority of what I was able to read when I deployed to Iraq and probably did a ton to save my mental health and make me a Blue Beetle fan forever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ok I'm not familiar with his work.
What do you guys suggest?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Upsidads posted:

His Justice League (all of them) run. I am a sucker for the first Lobo mini he did.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

On it thanks!

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Upsidads posted:

Start here:

Justice League International
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1401217397/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1697081977&sr=8-4

Lobo
https://www.amazon.com/Lobo-Keith-G...ps%2C148&sr=8-1

Star Lord
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Lord-An...ps%2C126&sr=8-1

90sgamer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 12, 2023

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Keith Giffen also created the modern Guardians of the galaxy the ones the James Gunn films were based on

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My first SA account (and my first accounts on BBSes, Prodigy, pretty much everything through the end of high school) was under "Ambush Bug", which was where I fell in love with Keith Giffen. It trucks in deep weird comics minutiae and a lot of the jokes are dated/possibly incomprehensible 30+ years later, but Ambush Bug was doing weird fourth breaking meta-humor in comics years/decades before She-Hulk, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, or anyone else went down the same path.

His Justice League run was obviously enormously important/influential, and he never hit that level of popularity again, but from the early Lobo minis to Drax and Annihilation really setting the stage for modern Cosmic Marvel, to a long run of fascinating failed experiments (LOSH Five Years Later! Trencher! Heckler! Agents of Law! Eclipso! PunX! Inferior Five! Sugar and Spike! Being the first person to try to pull Rob Liefeld's sketchbook notes into a coherent story!) you almost never got the impression Giffen was phoning it in, and even if it didn't really work you had to appreciate the big swings.

His last series I really loved was the just-pre-New 52 Doom Patrol, which was a wild spin-off of 52/Oolong Island mixed with Arnold Drake DP, Grant Morrison DP, and any other long-neglected character/concept that came to mind. It was also the finest Blackest Night tie-in by a considerable margin.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kind of a forgotten book and it wasn't the best or anything, but I enjoyed Giffen's Justice League 3000 a whole bunch.

Wouldn't mind seeing those characters pop back up sometime.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vandar posted:

Kind of a forgotten book and it wasn't the best or anything, but I enjoyed Giffen's Justice League 3000 a whole bunch.

What a tremendously underrated series. Legion fans were so affronted it wasn't about them and nobody else cared enough to bother even trying it.

It's such a great weird look at the Justice League.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Back when 52 was coming out, DC"s website would show some of Giffen's pencil layouts for the previous week's issue. It was amazing and a real look behind the curtain at a master. You were having this weekly series come out with a host of different artists, but Giffen was able to give it a sense of coherence and play to the strengths of whoever that week's artist was.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Justice League International is obviously amazing, but I have even more love for the sequel minis: Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League are both fantastic. He also co-created Jaime Reyes. What a killer and eclectic career.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

When I said "read all the Justice Leagues" I was including this one too.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1712517366691619102

https://twitter.com/D4hz4hn/status/1712496328427655529

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Out of all those names Tomasi is the only one I care about

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

THE JSA BOOK ISNT FINISHED. gently caress.

I wanted to know what happens to the found sidekicks and with per degaton

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the description of the launch series makes this whole thing sound intensely uninteresting. It all sounds identical to the stuff that already comes out from Image, gets one or two collections, and then vanishes from existence.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Justice League International is obviously amazing, but I have even more love for the sequel minis: Formerly Known As The Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League are both fantastic. He also co-created Jaime Reyes. What a killer and eclectic career.

Yeah, I still haven't gotten around to JLI, but Formerly Known as the Justice League was one of those ones I picked up when I was starting with comics.

G'nort's still may favourite Green Lantern.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

the description of the launch series makes this whole thing sound intensely uninteresting. It all sounds identical to the stuff that already comes out from Image, gets one or two collections, and then vanishes from existence.

Not everything needs to be a manga that runs for 30 years

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

were any of those guys other than Johns doing current books for DC anyways

and I assume Johns is still on the contractual hook for x amount of issues of JSA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

Not everything needs to be about someone with special powers fighting monsters and/or robots either, yet here we are

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

except they're pitching this as a new shared universe with potential live action versions so ideally they want it to be around for a while, and not the 2-4 years it will actually survive for

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parallax posted:

except they're pitching this as a new shared universe with potential live action versions so ideally they want it to be around for a while, and not the 2-4 years it will actually survive for

In my defense, I saw the creators and wasn't interested, so I didn't bother to read any further.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
All those folks working together and the best thing they came up with is "Ghost Machine?"

Good luck.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

absolutely reeks of "let's set up an IP farm for the content mill"

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Cartridgeblowers posted:

SO influential to me. Cannot be overstated how much those minis meant to me as a comic book reader just starting out. Informed my taste. I remember asking for Formerly Known as the Justice League for Christmas probably the first year I was reading comics.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alaois posted:

Yeah I can't see the comics succeeding. Especially with a bunch of guys who can't put out comics on time, especially Johns.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Image II is go.

Good riddance to Geoffs.

Now that he and Didio is gone, let's make Hal Jordan evil, reveal he managed to pull off Zero Hour and all the crap going on with Barry coming back is basically Hal trying to be THE hero of the DC universe,
even getting to punch Batman because he really is the egotist jerk most of us know him to be. All the hiccups in continuity/reboots being Hal trying to make changes and the universe itself fighting back causing bumps and ripples.

Then kill Barry.

Kill him.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 12, 2023

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

The Last Call posted:

Image II is go.
It's still the first Image, as these comics are being published through Image Comics.

Parallax posted:

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I can't see the comics succeeding. Especially with a bunch of guys who can't put out comics on time, especially Johns.
The "shared universe" being talked about started two and a half years ago when Geoff Johns/Gary Frank put out the first Geiger mini-series. A second miniseries (Junkyard Joe) came out earlier this year. A second Geiger mini-series announced as designed to set up the larger 'universe' and an ongoing series in 2024 is starting next month.

Johns and Frank also sold the TV rights to Geiger to Paramount a year ago and a show is in active development. The 'news' here is that Johns/Frank are expanding their creator-owned thing ("Mad Ghost") to include other people under the umbrella "Ghost Machine". Mad Ghost has already successfully published books through Image and sold the rights for tv/film.

Most/all of this information is in the press release everyone's articles are based on?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

You either live a Mark Millar or die attempting to start a publishing-to-screen house.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

You either live a Mark Millar or die attempting to start a publishing-to-screen house.

woof, I'll take dying.

Mr Hootington posted:

THE JSA BOOK ISNT FINISHED. gently caress.

I wanted to know what happens to the found sidekicks and with per degaton

I was interested then I read the New Golden Age book and saw Johns is apparently back on his bullshit with Watchmen sequels/references/whatever you want to call it and uggghhh I just can't.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 13, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Image Speedrun

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

woof, I'll take dying.

I was interested then I read the New Golden Age book and saw Johns is apparently back on his bullshit with Watchmen sequels/references/whatever you want to call it and uggghhh I just can't.

I liked the first golden age book. The JSA series and Stargirl were both really good too.

He gave Jay Garrick a daughter and created a bunch of golden age sidekicks that had been "kidnapped" from time and continuity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I liked the first golden age book. The JSA series and Stargirl were both really good too.

He gave Jay Garrick a daughter and created a bunch of golden age sidekicks that had been "kidnapped" from time and continuity.

Oh no, I mean I liked that stuff, but seeing any references to Watchmen/Doomsday Clock immediately puts a bad taste in my mouth, since I didn't like Doomsday Clock and hate incorporating Watchmen into the main universe on a fundamental level

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Randomly decided to read the wiki page for Batman: Death in the Family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Death_in_the_Family_(comics)

quote:

Development

O'Neil decided that Jason either needed another personality revamp or to be written out of Batman.[10] Around that time, DC was planning to publish a comic promoting HIV/AIDS education, and requested that writers submit suggestions for characters to kill off from AIDS. Starlin filled the suggestion box with proposals to kill off Jason, but DC staff rejected the idea after realizing all the papers had Starlin's handwriting.

Apparently the winning character ended up being Jimmy Olsen, but in the end they decided to call that whole thing off and just publish PSAs starring superheroes talking about the AIDS crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Alaois posted:

It’s not. Most of the poo poo johns is doing was originally going to be released by DC under an imprint called “Killing Zone”.

He probably thought it was BS that Bendis, joe hill, gaiman and Gerard way just show up and instantly get their own imprints and Hickman was offered one but DC cancelled his.