Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Josh Lyman posted:

But the actual deal breaker was...

3) I have 3x 27" 1440p monitors and when you click on the system tray clock of the non-primary monitor, it doesn't pop up the calendar. This is especially annoying when, during the work day, my center (main) and right monitor are connected to my work laptop and only the left monitor is displaying my personal desktop.

This drives me loving nuts!!! Why is it like this?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I was confused for a long time too. The UI for it was very unintuitive (for me).

Here’s the guide I used. It is super simple: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/expand-and-collapse-calendar-view-on-taskbar-in-windows-11.8963/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

crestfallen posted:

I was confused for a long time too. The UI for it was very unintuitive (for me).

Here’s the guide I used. It is super simple: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/expand-and-collapse-calendar-view-on-taskbar-in-windows-11.8963/

This isn't the issue we're talking about. What we're saying is that with multiple monitors...if you click the date/time area of the taskbar on ANYTHING other than the main monitor it does absolutely nothing.

You can only bring up calendar/time/notification stuff on the main monitor.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Ahh crap. I thought I read it correctly but I obviously did not. Apologies!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Josh Lyman posted:

3) I have 3x 27" 1440p monitors and when you click on the system tray clock of the non-primary monitor, it doesn't pop up the calendar. This is especially annoying when, during the work day, my center (main) and right monitor are connected to my work laptop and only the left monitor is displaying my personal desktop.

It will probably make you happy to hear (unless you haven't noticed already from the pop up bar) that the Calendar will be replaced by THE NEW OUTLOOK in about 6 months from now.

Something no one asked for, ever.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I have Windows 10 installed on a spare computer that I'm using as a very basic NAS. I run it headless, meaning I don't have a password set so that when I turn it on it'll just boot straight into Windows. Periodically however Windows keeps asking me to change my password and won't log in until I do this. I can connect to it remotely and it lets me "change" my password to a blank password and it will happily continue logging me in automatically for a while until it starts asking me to change my password again. It's not a big issue but it is pretty irritating, so how do I turn this off so that it's completely passwordless? I don't really care about the security of the computer as there's nothing important on it and it spends the vast majority of the time switched off.

Online guides tell me to run netplwiz and uncheck the "require a password" checkbox for the user in question, but on mine that checkbox doesn't exist, and if I go into "sign in options" in the control panel it says I don't have a password and wont show me any options until I set one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

oh no computer posted:

I have Windows 10 installed on a spare computer that I'm using as a very basic NAS. I run it headless, meaning I don't have a password set so that when I turn it on it'll just boot straight into Windows. Periodically however Windows keeps asking me to change my password and won't log in until I do this. I can connect to it remotely and it lets me "change" my password to a blank password and it will happily continue logging me in automatically for a while until it starts asking me to change my password again. It's not a big issue but it is pretty irritating, so how do I turn this off so that it's completely passwordless? I don't really care about the security of the computer as there's nothing important on it and it spends the vast majority of the time switched off.

Online guides tell me to run netplwiz and uncheck the "require a password" checkbox for the user in question, but on mine that checkbox doesn't exist, and if I go into "sign in options" in the control panel it says I don't have a password and wont show me any options until I set one.

I did this on a computer that was having this problem the other day. Just get into computer management, users and groups, look at the properties for the user and check the password never expires box. You can also change or remove the password as normal in the users settings. I don't know why a recently reinstalled machine with a local password was set to expire but I figure it's MS trying to be dicks about having not using a microsoft account or something:
https://beebom.com/windows-10-password-expired-fix/

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Thanks. I've checked the box so I guess I'll see if it worked in 30 days or whenever my password was due to expire.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The correct way to do this is use netplwiz or regedit to turn on an automatic login.

This is better because you still have a password on the account, which protects against possible remote attacks. (But the password is stored in plaintext in the registry, so that's something to be aware of in sensitive contexts.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Klyith posted:

The correct way to do this is use netplwiz or regedit to turn on an automatic login.

This is better because you still have a password on the account, which protects against possible remote attacks. (But the password is stored in plaintext in the registry, so that's something to be aware of in sensitive contexts.)

I believe Autologon by sysinternals is the way to do this now:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon

quote:

[!WARNING] Although the password is encrypted in the registry as an LSA secret, a user with administrative rights can easily retrieve and decrypt it. (For more information see Protecting the Automatic Logon Password )

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BonoMan posted:

This isn't the issue we're talking about. What we're saying is that with multiple monitors...if you click the date/time area of the taskbar on ANYTHING other than the main monitor it does absolutely nothing.

You can only bring up calendar/time/notification stuff on the main monitor.

I've owned DisplayFusion for many years now and it fixes this. Well, it pops it up briefly on your main monitor and then jumps it over to where you clicked. Not pretty, but it works.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
The new Photos app in Win10 (maybe 11, too)... are pictures supposed to open up in a separate instance window now?

For that matter, the Legacy Photos app... didn't it use to go back to the photo wall when you hit ESC? Now when a photo opens, you've only got the ability to go to the prev/next picture and no way back to the photo wall except to reopen the program.

These are recent changes, right?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Tapedump posted:

The new Photos app in Win10 (maybe 11, too)... are pictures supposed to open up in a separate instance window now?

For that matter, the Legacy Photos app... didn't it use to go back to the photo wall when you hit ESC? Now when a photo opens, you've only got the ability to go to the prev/next picture and no way back to the photo wall except to reopen the program.

These are recent changes, right?

Yes I believe so, I've noticed the same thing

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Maybe this is a simple problem to fix?

Just moved into my own house, hooked up my sub woofer, and am not getting any sound out of it.

I have a Windows computer hooked up to a receiver through HDMI. In the Windows settings, I only see the receiver being listed as stereo, not necessarily 2.1 (and no options for 5.1 and 7.1, which the receiver can do (if I buy more speakers)).

In the receiver settings, it is set to 2.1 and a test tone is played through the sub just fine.

This exact same setup (same computer, no mods (well, a bigger hard drive), same receiver, same speakers, etc) worked fine two years ago.

Unfortunately, I can't find where I packed my remotes, so I can't try my Blu-ray player hooked up to the receiver.

Found a button on my receiver that directs low frequency audio to the sub and it's working now. Weird, wasn't in the options in the UI. Don't remember if this is how it worked before, but good enough for now.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 2, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Another question! (two weeks later)

I got an email that my OneDrive account isn't going to auto-renew. See that it is changing to Microsoft 365 Basic. Recurring billing is still turned off. Clicking to turn on recurring billing does nothing, not on my computer (Firefox or Edge) or on my phone (Chrome). What do I need to do to keep getting this service?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's really pathetic how opening the old mail app forced me into the new outlook thing before the announced deadline without me clicking on the wrong thing. It's pathetic that the new outlook has an icon that says "new". That's not sustainable design! The absolute most pathetic thing is that the mail app appears to still provide me with notifications that, when clicked on, open the mail app, then close it, then open outlook. What kind of goddamn doodooheads you've got working for you, microsoft.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

Another question! (two weeks later)

I got an email that my OneDrive account isn't going to auto-renew. See that it is changing to Microsoft 365 Basic. Recurring billing is still turned off. Clicking to turn on recurring billing does nothing, not on my computer (Firefox or Edge) or on my phone (Chrome). What do I need to do to keep getting this service?

You should be able to resubscribe from the Account page, but I'd honestly just look for Black Friday deals - you can usually get 365 Personal for $50-$60 that includes useless antivirus software, but still cheaper than automatic renewal.

Of course that's for 365 Personal (1tb OneDrive) and not 365 Basic (100gb OneDrive).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

You should be able to resubscribe from the Account page,

I am on the account page.

Tapping to turn on recurring billing does nothing.

I only need the 100gb. Well, 222 gb thanks to some random promos I took part in like a decade ago. It's to move the photos off my phone and store My Documents, I use other things for backups and offline file access and such.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's really pathetic how opening the old mail app forced me into the new outlook thing before the announced deadline without me clicking on the wrong thing. It's pathetic that the new outlook has an icon that says "new". That's not sustainable design! The absolute most pathetic thing is that the mail app appears to still provide me with notifications that, when clicked on, open the mail app, then close it, then open outlook. What kind of goddamn doodooheads you've got working for you, microsoft.

:agreed:

now i just use the web app

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

qsvui posted:

:agreed:

now i just use the web app

I unironically think they are sabotaging their desktop poo poo more and more to get people to use that, so they have some data to say, 'See! Everyone is using the web app - We don't need to develop the desktop app any more!', when the reality is that they just hosed up the desktop app so much that their terrible web app is finally less terrible then their increasingly pathetic desktop app.

Office peaked hard at 2019 :(.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Office peaked hard at 2019 :(.

Funny way to spell 2010 someone's going to say 2003

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 14, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We were on 2007 at work for the longest time, and I still find it in use now and then. Upgrading to 2010 (the newest I can get my hands on a license for) feels slightly more modern, but I'm still not sure how much of that is just the color scheme.

We also have a few people using 2019, and I genuinely can't name a single meaningful difference - though we don't spend a lot of time in Office overall; the heaviest is probably (scientific) article manuscripts with a bunch of EndNote citations and comments from a couple of internal reviewers. For all I know it's revolutionary to the sort of people who write entire software projects in Excel macros.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think it's funny how we're basically wrapping around to the Activity Centers idea that was in some of the ME betas and Neptune.

Whoever was pushing for that is probably seeing all these web apps now and thinking "I loving told you it would work"

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Computer viking posted:

We were on 2007 at work for the longest time, and I still find it in use now and then. Upgrading to 2010 (the newest I can get my hands on a license for) feels slightly more modern, but I'm still not sure how much of that is just the color scheme.

We also have a few people using 2019, and I genuinely can't name a single meaningful difference - though we don't spend a lot of time in Office overall; the heaviest is probably (scientific) article manuscripts with a bunch of EndNote citations and comments from a couple of internal reviewers. For all I know it's revolutionary to the sort of people who write entire software projects in Excel macros.

The ability to right click and add comments instead of notes is something surely.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sad Panda posted:

The ability to right click and add comments instead of notes is something surely.

Oh, that's not in 2007 (or 2010)? Fair enough, that's a convenient feature.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
They removed many limits in excel over multiple versions. And this september this: https://insider.microsoft365.com/en-us/blog/control-data-conversions-in-excel

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MikusR posted:

They removed many limits in excel over multiple versions. And this september this: https://insider.microsoft365.com/en-us/blog/control-data-conversions-in-excel

quote:

You can also select the When loading a .csv file or similar file, notify me of any automatic number conversions check box.

Oh my god

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a way with AHK (or anything else) to make the right Menu key act as normal if it's tapped, but act as Windows key if it's held/chorded?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 17, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh wow, that's been a problem for what, 30+ years?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I feel like half of my job is telling people not to blindly double click on csv files and then saving them on the way out

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Hi thread. I want to take a high res screenshot of Google Earth, import it into some program, scale the units appropriately so they match the scale of the aerial, and then draw buildings/roads/sidewalks etc with proper dimensions.

The drawing tools and layers in Google Earth are too basic but something like AutoCAD is way overkill and too expensive. Basically looking for the layer/drawing tools of Inkscape but CAD style unit scaling and dimensioning.

Something free ideally

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QGIS is probably what you want as it's actually designed for that kind of work. Bit of a learning curve though. :v:

On the upside, it has plugins to download the google earth imagery for you so you can so everything in-app. And plugins for freehand drawing. It has a plugin for just about anything you can imagine really.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Thanks! I actually have access to ArcGIS and while I can technically do this kind of work with it, it’s a bit awkward. In my searching I came across LibreCAD which is closer to what I need in case anyone else finds this post.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Canvas (appears to be called Canvas GFX) was really good for that.
It's not free, though.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
My old father is starting a Microsoft office course soon. He wants me to buy a new laptop for that. I loath the idea to pay 74 Euros for a year of having the privilege to write letters on my computer. Does the free (with ads) Office Starter still exist? Where do I get it? I am getting confusing results. Thank you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's basically impossible to find in MS' store but you can buy a one-time purchase via search engine: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/office-home-student-2021/cfq7ttc0h8n8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Alternatively, google docs is pretty decent and free. If your use case involves editing documents simultaneously with others, it's actually the superior solution IMO

I think the SA mart thread sells discounted office keys.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, this thread was posted recently https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's basically impossible to find in MS' store but you can buy a one-time purchase via search engine: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/office-home-student-2021/cfq7ttc0h8n8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Alternatively, google docs is pretty decent and free. If your use case involves editing documents simultaneously with others, it's actually the superior solution IMO

I think the SA mart thread sells discounted office keys.

he's doing a Microsoft Office course so alternatives are probably off the table

Ok office 2021 pro plus for $30 was the winner

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 20, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

he's doing a Microsoft Office course so alternatives are probably off the table

Ok office 2021 pro plus for $30 was the winner

I can't read :downs:

Been a while since I checked Lodge North. drat, that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
You guys are awesome! Thanks again.