Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There's a new monster cereal in the Boo Berry/Frankenberry/etc line and her name is Carmela something. Just realized that's likely a nod to Carmilla (Sheridan Le Fanu)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Carmela Creeper, apparently a zombie DJ

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's because it's a caramel apple flavored cereal and "Carmella" sounds like "caramel."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Sort of like Barackberry Hussein Obamas.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's because it's a caramel apple flavored cereal and "Carmella" sounds like "caramel."

That's just why it's a good pun.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One Punch Man (the guy in yellow) started out as a parody of the classic 1970s Japanese superhero Anpanman (the guy in red).

One Punch Man's name in Japanese is Wanpanman which makes it even more obvious

The One Punch Man manga series is a parody of heroic super power hero type stories in general.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

And count chocula is solely and only named after chocolate, the resemblance to the name Dracula is utterly accidental, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think my only difficulty with the conclusion is that Camilla wasn't a zombie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The concept of zombies didn't reach America until 1929 and before Polidori invented the literary aristocratic vampire a vampire was basically just a walking corpse. The cereal mascot in question seems to be sentient and thus probably more of a vampire than a zombie. A zombie is a undead farm tool, a zombie that has a personality is something else.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

InediblePenguin posted:

And count chocula is solely and only named after chocolate, the resemblance to the name Dracula is utterly accidental, right?

"Chocula" isn't a common name though. I mean maybe the breakfast cereal is named in honor of the 151 year old Irish novella (where the name is spelled differently), but Sheridan Le Fanu doesn't exactly have the same pop culture cache as Bram Stoker. What specific work of 19th century literature do you think "Fruit Brute" is named after?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I think my only difficulty with the conclusion is that Camilla wasn't a zombie
There are no named zombies in pop culture to draw inspiration from, and she is Chocula's cousin (she is related to a vampire).

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Chocula" isn't a common name though. I mean maybe the breakfast cereal is named in honor of the 151 year old Irish novella (where the name is spelled differently), but Sheridan Le Fanu doesn't exactly have the same pop culture cache as Bram Stoker. What specific work of 19th century literature do you think "Fruit Brute" is named after?
I think it is more likely that they did intend the LeFanu reference than that it's a complete coincidence, but go off

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Zombies are not vampires but lesbians are djs, snopes: unverified

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In all their copy Carmela is referred to as a zombie. Looking at her character design I'd actually say she's more of a Frankenstein's monster type.

The Carmilla connection is not convincing but you can have your headcanon it's ok

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Oct 14, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wikipedia monster cereals entry posted:

Count Alfred Chocula

What the gently caress

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Looking at her character design I'd actually say she's more of a Frankenstein's monster type.

Just looks like a human under weird lighting.

Also the new Count Chocula box artwork sucks.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Count Chocula is based on a Prince in a Serbian fairy tale, who collected all the children in the (fictional) town of Pezcny and forced them to eat each other over the course of several months. The “winner” was given a single piece of chocolate as a prize, and when he ate it he realized that he had no taste for it anymore. Then he ate the Prince, etc etc. Not directly relating to Dracula/Romanian folklore.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In all their copy Carmela is referred to as a zombie. Looking at her character design I'd actually say she's more of a Frankenstein's monster type.

She's even got "Bride of Frankenstein" hair but cool teen style

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Modern zombies are closer to Frankenstein than they are to pre-Romeo zombies anyway.

InediblePenguin posted:

I think it is more likely that they did intend the LeFanu reference than that it's a complete coincidence, but go off

Okay, have fun with that belief.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

InediblePenguin posted:

There are no named zombies in pop culture to draw inspiration from, and she is Chocula's cousin (she is related to a vampire).

She's a Frankenstein type

https://monsterscereal.com/pages/carmella-creeper

Carmella is a cool, young and very capable young Zombie. She is Franken Berry’s long lost cousin, and she is back to help bring the rest of the Monsters into the 21st Century. She is a DJ and loves to host parties at the haunted mansion with her friends.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The Carmilla connection is not convincing but you can have your headcanon it's ok

She's a zombie from the same "corpse but sexy and not gross" school of design as Rottytops from Shantae

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If a Frankenstein-class monster were to be bitten by a zombie, it would become a zombie which happens to be stitched together. :colbert:

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Y'all talking about the Fonz reminded me to double check whether or not Henry Winkler was actually dead, nope I was thinking of Fred Willard. The Fonz lives on!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SLOSifl posted:

Count Chocula is based on a Prince in a Serbian fairy tale, who collected all the children in the (fictional) town of Pezcny and forced them to eat each other over the course of several months. The “winner” was given a single piece of chocolate as a prize, and when he ate it he realized that he had no taste for it anymore. Then he ate the Prince, etc etc. Not directly relating to Dracula/Romanian folklore.

what

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

What specific work of 19th century literature do you think "Fruit Brute" is named after?

16th century. Et tu, Fruit Brute?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Modern zombies are closer to Frankenstein than they are to pre-Romeo zombies anyway.

So has anyone done Romeo & Juliet as zombies, because that seems like something somebody would've done

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sir Lemming posted:

So has anyone done Romeo & Juliet as zombies, because that seems like something somebody would've done

A decade ago it was called warm bodies

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Looking at a bilingual list of vaccines and seeing “gripe” in Spanish made me realize that in old timey novels etc when they say that someone has the “grippe” they’ve just talking about the flu.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

La grippe... la grippe.
La post nasal drip.
With the wheezes!
And the sneezes!
And a sinus that's really a pip!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

And flu is derived from influenza, which just means influence, presumably something like a curse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Huh, I thought grippe was one of those pooping diseases. Maybe I've just never gotten over finding out what dysentery was after having people die from it in Oregon Trail.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

Y'all talking about the Fonz reminded me to double check whether or not Henry Winkler was actually dead, nope I was thinking of Fred Willard. The Fonz lives on!

Dude was just in Barry, he's still a working actor

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, I thought grippe was one of those pooping diseases. Maybe I've just never gotten over finding out what dysentery was after having people die from it in Oregon Trail.

Having an rear end that grips ain't an affliction ;)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

The concept of zombies didn't reach America until 1929

I think you'll find the concept of zombies originated in America.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pookah posted:

And flu is derived from influenza, which just means influence, presumably something like a curse.

Yep, etymology online says "Used in Italian for diseases at least since 1504 (as in influenza di febbre scarlattina "scarlet fever") on notion of astral, occult, or atmospheric influence." You got sick because you were under the influence of bad omens/a witch's curse/miasma.

They also thought that malaria was caused by miasma, it translates as 'bad air' (mal-aria)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wait til you hear what they thought gave you diabetes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think you'll find the concept of zombies originated in America.

I mean Haiti was occupied by America for like 20 years but I wouldn't call it part of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Diabetes nuts

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

gently caress I’m owned

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grassy Knowles posted:

"Help, I'm pissing too much!"
"Ohhh yeah you see that happen a lot, your piss has turned evil"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Help, I'm pissing too much!"
"Ohhh yeah you see that happen a lot, your piss has turned evil"

So evil you can taste it