Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hadlock posted:

The other big benefit is if you have a sound system (sound bar with subwoofer in my case) attached to the chromecasted TV, you can use the TV as a receiver for streaming audio (Spotify). It's maybe not audiophile approved but great for everyone else

I stream Roon through my Android TV via chromecast to my extremely Medium End sound system, works great, sounds great and bit perfect plus I get cover art on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just use the Spotify app on my TV (or YT Music)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The value of being able to shout "ok Google, play 'wheels on the bus' on TV" from the kitchen while scrubbing yogurt out of the carpet, to playcate my toddler playing with blocks, is incalculable

Trying to explain the benefits of voice control to someone without small children is like trying to convince your grandpa cell phones are as useful as a land line and not a toy

Technically I think my also Extremely Medium system has some kind of Chromecast functionality but it's either broken or mostly unsupported; the official Google device Just Works

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

DoubleT2172 posted:

Anyone have a best in class slim wall mount recommendation? I got a 77" LG C3 last weekend and am having a tough time deciding. I'd like the ability for a small amount of tilt if possible and that's basically it, otherwise as close to the wall as possible and not junk

Premier Mounts CTM-MS2 has been my go to for years.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
OMG just encountered the most mind numbingly stupid thing.

I subscribed to Paramount+ through my Roku TV.

Went to watch TMNT and it's hosed up. The letterboxing is super cropped to like four inches vertical and nothing at all is fixing it. No other show on P+ or any other channel do it.

I go to just uninstall the app (I've done full system restart) to see if that helps.

You *cannot* remove the Paramount app if you have subscribed through the Roku TV. It literally removes the uninstall option and it won't come back until your subscription lapses.

Who the duck thought this was a good idea? Just abysmal UX.

(The aspect ratio thing is a known issue with Paramount and TCL tvs specifically with TMNT but the app ux thing is abysmal)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 2, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

Anyone have a best in class slim wall mount recommendation? I got a 77" LG C3 last weekend and am having a tough time deciding. I'd like the ability for a small amount of tilt if possible and that's basically it, otherwise as close to the wall as possible and not junk

I know you want close to the wall but for a TV that big, an articulating mount is SUPER helpful. You will almost certainly need to get behind it at some point and you don't want to be taking it down to do that.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

I know you want close to the wall but for a TV that big, an articulating mount is SUPER helpful. You will almost certainly need to get behind it at some point and you don't want to be taking it down to do that.

You are correct, especially since the base has to be attached with screws. I haven't decided on a mount yet but I'll definitely get one that has the ability to be pulled out at least a bit to access the ports

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

DoubleT2172 posted:

I've had good experience with Echo Gear's.

https://www.echogear.com/tv-mounts/low-profile-fixed-tv-mount-for-42-90-tvs-egll2/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

You are correct, especially since the base has to be attached with screws. I haven't decided on a mount yet but I'll definitely get one that has the ability to be pulled out at least a bit to access the ports

I have my 77 on this one. I don't have any real complaints about it.

https://a.co/d/bnSB3hp

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there some good rule to avoid getting a TV that is too big for the viewing distance?

I googled and found this

quote:

Finding the Right Distance for Your TV

Compared to 1080p HDTVs, you can watch the more advanced 4K ULTA HD TVs from a smaller distance without straining your eyes or seeing pixels. The ideal TV viewing distance 4K Ultra HD TVs is between about 1 and 1.5 times the diagonal width of the screen, which works out to the following distances:

A 40’’ TV– You should sit between 3.5 and 5 feet away from the screen.
A 43’’ TV– You should sit between 3.5 and 5.5 feet away from the screen.
A 50’’ TV– You should sit between 4 and 6.5 feet away from the screen.
A 55’’ TV– You should sit between 4.5 and 7 feet away from the screen.
A 60’’ TV– You should sit between 5 and 7.5 feet away from the screen.
A 65’’ TV– You should sit between 5.5 and 8 feet away from the screen.
A 70’’ TV– You should sit between 6 and 9 feet away from the screen.
A 75’’ TV– You should sit between 6.5 and 9.5 feet away from the screen.
An 80’’ TV– You should sit between 6.5 and 10 feet away from the screen.
An 85’’ TV– You should sit between 7 and 10.5 feet away from the screen.

My setup would be 8 feet from screen to eyeball basically. Had a 55" which felt small, and I have my eye on a 65" or 75" now. Would 75" be overkill?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

Is there some good rule to avoid getting a TV that is too big for the viewing distance?

I googled and found this

My setup would be 8 feet from screen to eyeball basically. Had a 55" which felt small, and I have my eye on a 65" or 75" now. Would 75" be overkill?

no. "Too big for the viewing distance" isn't really a thing unless you're talking about something comically large that isn't realistic.

Get as big as you can fit. You won't regret it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I personally think get the heaviest TV you can find.

Get a Sony PVM-4300

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BonoMan posted:

Get as big as you can fit. You won't regret it.
:byodood: Listen man, the average us screen is 42" and the media vastly overrepresents monster screens! :cry:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

FilthyImp posted:

:byodood: Listen man, the average us screen is 42" and the media vastly overrepresents monster screens! :cry:

I have a 120” projector set up and I still sometimes think I could have gone with the 150”. Go big and stay home.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

If you ever hear a person say "it's too big it won't fit" they're lying

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

If you ever hear a person say "it's too big it won't fit" they're lying

How dare you call my wife a liar

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wanting to grab a cheapass TV for my wife’s craft room. Doesn’t have to be fancy, 40-50”. Anything on the upcoming Prime Day look like a good deal?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Check here for TV deals for prime day. There are 2 50" ones as the last posts https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042176&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hiya, is there a goon consensus kind of break point for value:quality:price?

I’d like to get a 50” tv on Black Friday but I haven’t done tv shopping in over a decade.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My anecdotal advice is to never get a TV where that model is only at a specific store or a doorbuster deal.

Had a cheap Black Friday TV break 11 months into the 12 month warranty. Repair guy comes to my house and basically said that he can tell that it is a Black Friday TV based on the model number, and advised me never to get one. Because places like Walmart basically say "we want to buy a TV for X" and then the manufacturer's cut cost to get it down to that price point. And then 90% of his repairs are on the same model numbers, which are those unique Black Friday models that were made cheaply.

The TV then broke against after 4 years of owning it.

misterevilcat
Apr 30, 2009
Alright just picked up a LG c2 55 in. Looking to be able to stream my 4k dolby vision MKVs from my PC to the TV when it gets here. I saw that LG has an inbuilt plex app, will that work fine without losing all the HDR and hi quality audio bits from the files? Do I need an external device? I'm not looking to spending over a hundred on an external device if so.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been down the rabbit hole of calibrating my 4K TV and it’s driven me slightly mad. Dynamic contrast, backlight, brightness, sharpness, HDMI UHD color, smart LED, cinema black, black tone, color tones, HDMI UHD color, color space, gamma, picture mode. Like, what the gently caress lol.

I ended up ignoring all of RTings’ recommended calibrations and doing a bunch of things thag involve the TV doing post processing things. The image just looks way better. Had to spend several nights with the wife peeved at me for loving with the TV picture though 🙃

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I’ve been down the rabbit hole of calibrating my 4K TV and it’s driven me slightly mad. Dynamic contrast, backlight, brightness, sharpness, HDMI UHD color, smart LED, cinema black, black tone, color tones, HDMI UHD color, color space, gamma, picture mode. Like, what the gently caress lol.

I ended up ignoring all of RTings’ recommended calibrations and doing a bunch of things thag involve the TV doing post processing things. The image just looks way better. Had to spend several nights with the wife peeved at me for loving with the TV picture though 🙃

I did the same thing with my newest TV then wrote all the settings down so I never have to do that again. In a perfect world I'd just have a giant Dell monitor instead.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Vegetable posted:

But what about creator intent? Don't you want to watch that House of the Dragon episode that was mastered at 1 nit the way the guy who fell asleep on the control board intended?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

still blows my mind that those dark episodes end up looking okay if you turn off TPC and GSR in the service menu. all this time it was some OLED panel preservation bullshit

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
All I want is a 60+ inch TV that can take output from my PC at 1080p and a high rear end frame rate, minimum 120hz and low latency. What kinda models should I be looking for?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

All I want is a 60+ inch TV that can take output from my PC at 1080p and a high rear end frame rate, minimum 120hz and low latency. What kinda models should I be looking for?

Anything at 60" 120Hz is going to be 4k, you can still output at 1080p but it's going to have to upscale on the tv. I've got an LG C2 that I use for PC and PS5 gaming and it's incredible, so I can def recommend that. Rtings does good reviews that cover gaming performance, here are their recs: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Enos Cabell posted:

Anything at 60" 120Hz is going to be 4k, you can still output at 1080p but it's going to have to upscale on the tv. I've got an LG C2 that I use for PC and PS5 gaming and it's incredible, so I can def recommend that. Rtings does good reviews that cover gaming performance, here are their recs: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

In that case gently caress it, maybe I'll just grab a s90c at 65"...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Kwolok posted:

In that case gently caress it, maybe I'll just grab a s90c at 65"...

I have the 55" and it's an incredible TV. I've had it for a couple of months now and still haven't gotten over just how good it looks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am getting the 55" s90c to replace my old LED which is having the color start to go. I would have got another 4K LED but I decided to go with something a bit more premium.

I have it coming in on monday and I admit I am nervous. I was not impressed with the jump from 1080p to 4K, though properly done HDR is amazing and made that worth it. Still, I hope that the jump from LED to OLED justifies the price.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 14, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If it makes you feel any better I just got my 65" s90c home and the OLED is loving nuts.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah oled is insane, I will never go back.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m new to blu-rays and I recently learned that a lot of them don’t even have the 4k versions of the movie. For a cool rear end movie like Drive you have to get the boutique version of the disc or else it’s 1080p. Even dogshit youtube videos are rendered in 4k these days. It shouldn’t be this hard to get the sickest version of a movie.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vegetable posted:

I’m new to blu-rays and I recently learned that a lot of them don’t even have the 4k versions of the movie. For a cool rear end movie like Drive you have to get the boutique version of the disc or else it’s 1080p. Even dogshit youtube videos are rendered in 4k these days. It shouldn’t be this hard to get the sickest version of a movie.

For a ton of movies, including relatively recent and/or high budget stuff, the movie was shot, mastered and digitally produced in lower than 4K resolution. The effects and final mastering is frequently done at 2K even if the movie was filmed in 4K, and a lot of 4K blu-rays are just upscaled and not remastered.

Your Drive example is an upscale. That movie was produced in 2K.

The nerds used to all follow some sites that tracked which movies were actually produced in 4K: https://www.digiraw.com/DVD-4K-Bluray-ripping-service/4K-UHD-ripping-service/the-real-or-fake-4K-list/

Edit: to be clear, upscaling is fine, it's just likely that a 4K upscale of a movie looks super similar to how your TV or player would have upscaled a 1080p Blu anyway.

If you want to read some nerds arguing about it, dig in: https://old.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comments/6xrw3s/why_are_so_many_major_movies_still_finished_in_2k/

Spider-Man 2 in 2004 was 4K, but The Martian wasn't. It's all over the place because 2K production is easier and cheaper and most movie theaters project at less than 4K.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 15, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Best Buy announced this week they're going to stop carrying Blu-ray so this is probably not the time to get into that sort of thing

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Anyone got any suggestions for a simple soundbar to go with the s90c I just got? Just want a single bar, nothing else just something to sit below the TV and improve the family mediocre speakers it comes with?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I assume you're in some tiny apartment or something? That's the only excuse for a soundbar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hadlock posted:

Best Buy announced this week they're going to stop carrying Blu-ray so this is probably not the time to get into that sort of thing

Yeah, at this point the reason to have physical isn't because of possibly better video quality, but because we live ina capitalist hellscape where streaming services will eventually start removing any content they don't want to continue paying a license fee for, dooming obscure stuff to the void forever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: to be clear, upscaling is fine, it's just likely that a 4K upscale of a movie looks super similar to how your TV or player would have upscaled a 1080p Blu anyway.

The upscaled will nearly always be better because 2k in the mastering world is a different beast than 1080p.

35mm film is commonly scanned at 2048 × 1556. So, you are getting more no matter what. You get a bit more with 16:9 content. But with anything anamorphic, you actually get like 50% more vertical resolution since the scan will be 1556 with the full 35mm frame filled.

And, of course, both encoding and size of the discs are improved which should lead to fewer compression artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, at this point the reason to have physical isn't because of possibly better video quality, but because we live ina capitalist hellscape where streaming services will eventually start removing any content they don't want to continue paying a license fee for, dooming obscure stuff to the void forever.

Yeah. I don’t own a ton of Disney movies for example, cause at this point I’m just resigned to paying the Disney Tax for the foreseeable future. But I own all of Hayao Miyazaki’s films on disc, because streaming services keep fuckin’ around with them. Other stuff I want to be sure I can share with my kid in a few years when he’s ready for it, and can’t be sure will be easily accessible some other way.