Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CombineThresher posted:

Wrestlers have awful taste in music and wrestling itself is perpetually 10 years behind pop culture. That said, I'm sure someone somewhere came out to "Dr. Feelgood," that era of Crue was made for pro wrestling.
There was also a (relatively) narrow non-ECW where anything outlined was true, WWF spent a relatively short period of time on a national stage before they realized (with The Wrestling Album in 1985) that they could just record new themes for wrestlers and own the themes and make money from selling records of the songs if they got popular.

Lots of wrestlers pre-WWF semi-hegemony came out to pop songs, even at the first Wrestlemania. But pretty quickly Hogan switched from Eye of the Tiger to Real America, US Express lost Born in the USA, JYD stopped using Another One Bites the Dust when he went to WWF, even the Road Warriors dropped Iron Man when they eventually headed to WWF.

ECW (and later ROH) used a ton of (unlicensed or in the case of ECW dubiously licensed) pop songs, and territories in the late 70s/80s did too, but WWF and WCW became big enough they probably did not want to pay money/fight legal battles over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

Wrestlers have awful taste in music and wrestling itself is perpetually 10 years behind pop culture. That said, I'm sure someone somewhere came out to "Dr. Feelgood," that era of Crue was made for pro wrestling.

oh, didn't know it was a Motley Crue song, thought for a second that someone was genuinely suggesting a Dr. Feelgood dong

for my money, I'd go with Roxette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1VwjWXefFs

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

WCW in the 90's fully realized they could take bangers from popular alternative bands and use them as entrance music. But why spend money on licensing when you can have Jimmy Hart change one note and re-record the song?

(Seriously, how did WCW not get sued for that?)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The MSG crowd turned on HBK against Sid at Survivor Series 96.

This is what I was going to post. This was absolutely awesome and Vince got so mad about it that he came out on the next Raw and basically told the fans they were stupid and wrong for booing Shawn. Then in the VHS/DVD releases they changed the audio so that it sounded like the audience was booing Sid instead of cheering for him

It was so pathetic

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

rujasu posted:

WCW in the 90's fully realized they could take bangers from popular alternative bands and use them as entrance music. But why spend money on licensing when you can have Jimmy Hart change one note and re-record the song?

(Seriously, how did WCW not get sued for that?)

Vanilla Ice was on their advisory board.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is what I was going to post. This was absolutely awesome and Vince got so mad about it that he came out on the next Raw and basically told the fans they were stupid and wrong for booing Shawn. Then in the VHS/DVD releases they changed the audio so that it sounded like the audience was booing Sid instead of cheering for him

It was so pathetic

Vince's reaction was so great in how broken he came off. It was like Chris Parnell's crying rant in Anchorman, where he was all distraught and disappointed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sid was pretty good at unintentionally getting face reactions, between that and eliminating Hogan at the 1992 Rumble

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

Sid was pretty good

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DeathChicken posted:

Sid was pretty

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Don't judge me.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

When I was in 5th grade we had a teacher who was gigantic and had the same curly blond hair as Sid. One day we worked up the courage to ask if they were brothers but, sadly, they were not.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Didn't Sid skip shows all the time to go play softball

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I thought it wasn’t that he skipped shows but worked his schedule around softball season

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sid took semi-pro softball extremely seriously but apparently he was pretty good at it too. Can’t blame him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maybe not pretty but I think Sid had the best look ever in terms of American pro-wrestling of that time. If I wanted to show some alien this pro-rasslin' thing, I would show them a pic of peak Sid, or a video of him screaming and walking down the aisle while fist bumping fans. That man...that man is the soul of Professional Wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8iOOU_5Io

I'm totally serious, too. I think you can count the list of wrestlers with a better "Look" than Sid on one hand.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
the SID pyro onwed, way better than when The Rock set his name on fire.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe not pretty but I think Sid had the best look ever in terms of American pro-wrestling of that time. If I wanted to show some alien this pro-rasslin' thing, I would show them a pic of peak Sid, or a video of him screaming and walking down the aisle while fist bumping fans. That man...that man is the soul of Professional Wrestling.

I'm totally serious, too. I think you can count the list of wrestlers with a better "Look" than Sid on one hand.

I want to high five this post. Sid looks like a hulked-out Michael Rooker/Henry decided to go to a leather bar, he has this fantastic intensity and looks like a real-life action figure.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Holy poo poo I never made the Michael Rooker As Henry comparison but you're totally right. God drat Sid ruled.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

God drat Sid ruled the world

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

One of my favorite entrance setups. I love how close the fans are and how jammed it makes everything feel.

Sid rules.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Totally agreed and I think the one person I’d add to this is Vader. Show those aliens the Masters of the Powerbomb.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Totally agreed and I think the one person I’d add to this is Vader. Show those aliens the Masters of the Powerbomb.

Back in the AOL days one of my Internet friends complained that some PS1 wrestling game was unrealistic because Vader was doing moonsaults.

They were pretty messy but really drat impressive for a big guy.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

neoaxd posted:

Has there ever been a 1v1 battle royale? Like first person to throw the other over the top rope wins.

Does it qualify if they remove the ropes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY13Zr3Q3eI

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

I remember in AJPW Johnny Ace was coming out to a version of Kickstart My Heart in 2000.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What was that one wrestling project where some money mark filmed a ton of poo poo with a bunch of indie names and then none of it ever saw the light of day

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody say AEW Dark

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

What was that one wrestling project where some money mark filmed a ton of poo poo with a bunch of indie names and then none of it ever saw the light of day

The Wrestling Retribution Project? It eventually got released VOD I believe.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

He never actually released it on VOD even though he said he would during lockdown and I'm still mad about it. Wrestling Revolution/Retribution Project probably would have been bad but it's one of the most interesting things to me since it was before Lucha Underground but had that same vibe with original characters. (Though tbh they both owe a lot to WSX).

I want to see Kenny Omega break that drat chandelier :(

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Didn't Jericho give him 50 grand or something?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Is there like a top 5 of greatest "wrestler steals the opponent's finisher" moments? I always popped for that as a kid. The disrespect!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

He never actually released it on VOD even though he said he would during lockdown and I'm still mad about it. Wrestling Revolution/Retribution Project probably would have been bad but it's one of the most interesting things to me since it was before Lucha Underground but had that same vibe with original characters. (Though tbh they both owe a lot to WSX).

I want to see Kenny Omega break that drat chandelier :(

Supposedly everyone was made to wrestle WWE TV style matches so we aren't missing out on too much.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sex Farm posted:

Is there like a top 5 of greatest "wrestler steals the opponent's finisher" moments? I always popped for that as a kid. The disrespect!

Austin Aries hitting CM Punk with the Pepsi Plunge and only getting a 1 count comes to mind

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sex Farm posted:

I dunno, but I would put CM Punks Buckshot lariat attempts on there.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Sex Farm posted:

The Young Bucks hitting the Golden Trigger on Kenny Omega always stands out to me. That match was so drat good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Young Bucks doing the Golden Lovers' finisher and him kicking out at 1.

Austin and Rock stealing each other's finishers a ton at Wrestlemania X-7 and 19.

During the 4 pillars four way match each member doing the finisher of their respective mentors.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Does Eddie using a powerbomb because Kawada said so count?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sex Farm posted:

Okada stealing the High Fly Flow during the WK10 rubber match between him and Tanahashi is up there

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Sex Farm posted:

Shawn put Bret in the Sharpshooter in a match one time

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Shawn put Bret in the Sharpshooter in a match one time

That's it that's the winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Cameo posted:

Okada stealing the High Fly Flow during the WK10 rubber match between him and Tanahashi is up there

Anyone trying to get Okada in wrist control is tempting fate with their flagrant disrespect