Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KariOhki posted:

I'm not even sure the fridges at my workplace have space for lunchboxes, every time I look in there it's just full of booze.

Booze goes in the cold room, together with the reagents and the old chloroform-extracted DNA samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I figure there’s someone who would get what an awful mistake I made here.

So I went from hardware engineering QA to web QA.

I have been asked to implement a QA standard similar to where I worked for. The developers do not speak English and the senior QA and developer don’t either and regularly have back channel conversations in Malayam which I find out when the users ping me directly and ask me why something is broken, or try to submit a feature request under the guise it’s a big. The owner treats all these as high priority and directly asks me why I can’t find all the bugs in the software with no documentation ever. Their plan is to do manual testing on everything for every release* to be defined by the development head behind this poo poo who I report to

Never do web QA.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Isentropy posted:

I have been asked to implement a QA standard similar to where I worked for. The developers do not speak English and the senior QA and developer don’t either and regularly have back channel conversations in Malayam which I find out when the users ping me directly and ask me why something is broken, or try to submit a feature request under the guise it’s a big. The owner treats all these as high priority and directly asks me why I can’t find all the bugs in the software with no documentation ever. Their plan is to do manual testing on everything for every release* to be defined by the development head behind this poo poo who I report to

Never do web QA.

Why in the world would you have wanted to do Web QA in the first place? How many zeros did they put on that check?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Barudak posted:

Wait, yalls companies have fridges and microwaves for employees to use???

A big fancy company with premium office space that I gig at recently relented and put microwaves on every floor.
(Previously the kitchenette on every floor had fridges and coffee machines only - all hot food was to be eaten on the fancy lunchroom floor only.)

Of course, they bought commercial microwaves that have an incredibly loud, obnoxious series of beeps when they finish the cycle!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

KariOhki posted:

I'm not even sure the fridges at my workplace have space for lunchboxes, every time I look in there it's just full of booze.

This instead of booze is several half empty 2 liter coca-cola bottles.

We also got fridge thieves and I was told that once it got so bad that someone tried to catch the thief by spiking a coke bottle with one of the many printing chemicals we got around.

It worked. The thief drank nearly the whole bottle and ended up in the hospital.

I dunno if this also counts as OSHA violation or attempted murder.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Both, if they knew how toxic it is.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Usually people just add laxatives or very spicy peppers to their lunch to catch the thieves. Adding poisonous materials sure steps it up. :stare:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

~Coxy posted:

A big fancy company with premium office space that I gig at recently relented and put microwaves on every floor.
(Previously the kitchenette on every floor had fridges and coffee machines only - all hot food was to be eaten on the fancy lunchroom floor only.)

Of course, they bought commercial microwaves that have an incredibly loud, obnoxious series of beeps when they finish the cycle!

I’m guessing by “commercial” you mean that there is no tiny menu, like most home microwaves, that allows you to mute the alarm?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Usually people just add laxatives or very spicy peppers to their lunch to catch the thieves. Adding poisonous materials sure steps it up. :stare:

my lunch is already spicy enough to be banned by the geneva convention, if anyone steals my lunch multiple times then they are too powerful to stop

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dameius posted:

Why in the world would you have wanted to do Web QA in the first place? How many zeros did they put on that check?

More than EI (or UI as you call it) would. I really have to agree with OP here: it will drive you mad if you’re used to industries where QA is seen as peer to development and everything else

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

quote:

Prevent your lunch from being stolen with this fake mold anti-theft lunch bag. The bag has a design that makes it look like your perfectly good sandwich is actually ridden with mold.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That would just get it tossed by my colleagues who don’t want a fridge full of mould

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
The nice thing about working in vending repair is that we have to have refrigerator models and freezer models for the boards to be tested in. There’s no possible way for any higher ups to remove them. We had a coffee machine as well but then they moved coffee to its own department, our broke and no one ever fixed it. Fortunately the head of boards had just gotten a new Keurig so he brought in his old one. There’s still a machine over in the kiosk department, but :effort:.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We have small kitchen areas in our workplace. No running water, but there is a large breakroom/lunchroom on every floor as well if you need to wash out your cup or dish. The building provides large, rather nice fridges and we have several coffeemakers plugged in - Keurig and then regular drip. The setup is great but for about the past 3 weeks something has been festering in the fridge and every time I open the door to get the half and half for my coffee :barf: Cleaning the fridge is the responsibility of whoever is in the area. I may bite the bullet depending on how busy I am even though I don't use the fridge for anything else.

We share the kitchen with our attorneys, so it's 100% one of them and they'll never clean up because...attorneys.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have small kitchen areas in our workplace. No running water, but there is a large breakroom/lunchroom on every floor as well if you need to wash out your cup or dish. The building provides large, rather nice fridges and we have several coffeemakers plugged in - Keurig and then regular drip. The setup is great but for about the past 3 weeks something has been festering in the fridge and every time I open the door to get the half and half for my coffee :barf: Cleaning the fridge is the responsibility of whoever is in the area. I may bite the bullet depending on how busy I am even though I don't use the fridge for anything else.

We share the kitchen with our attorneys, so it's 100% one of them and they'll never clean up because...attorneys.

Gross Attorney story: I used to work in an IT helpdesk and one day one of the attorneys dropped off his laptop bag via his assistant with no information other than "there's something wrong with it"

We opened the laptop bag and ants spilled all over the floor. There was some kind of fruit jam all in the keys. We aren't even in the south or anything. Getting ants here means you really hosed up. We vacuumed up as many ants as we could, cleaned it up and it worked again.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

silicone thrills posted:

Gross Attorney story: I used to work in an IT helpdesk and one day one of the attorneys dropped off his laptop bag via his assistant with no information other than "there's something wrong with it"

We opened the laptop bag and ants spilled all over the floor. There was some kind of fruit jam all in the keys. We aren't even in the south or anything. Getting ants here means you really hosed up. We vacuumed up as many ants as we could, cleaned it up and it worked again.

Hello sir, I- *briefcase full of ants falls open*

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

Hello sir, I- *briefcase full of ants falls open*

Your honour, I'd like to file a formicus brief.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

One dude on our team has opened a laptop from a user to discover bugs crawling out of it. At least once they were bedbugs and we had to have our area fumigated or something (I wasn't there that day thankfully). The dude who brought it in got fired because this was apparently at least the fifth time he'd brought in bedbugs.

So now my co-worker keeps a gym bag with a change of clothes in the office and we also have a "Bug Oven" - an insulated tent with a heater that cooks anything in the tent to around 140 Fahrenheit, so we haven't had another infestation incident, but we do have to dump the bug corpses on occasion because the people who work in this company are nasty as gently caress, apparently.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

Boo this man

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

McGavin posted:

:golfclap:

Bored posted:

I’m guessing by “commercial” you mean that there is no tiny menu, like most home microwaves, that allows you to mute the alarm?

Yeah, it just has 10 buttons arranged vertically that run incrementally longer programmes.
(because I'm a busybody I looked up the service manual for the model and tried to disable the chime, but it wouldn't work)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cthulu Carl posted:

One dude on our team has opened a laptop from a user to discover bugs crawling out of it. At least once they were bedbugs and we had to have our area fumigated or something (I wasn't there that day thankfully). The dude who brought it in got fired because this was apparently at least the fifth time he'd brought in bedbugs.

So now my co-worker keeps a gym bag with a change of clothes in the office and we also have a "Bug Oven" - an insulated tent with a heater that cooks anything in the tent to around 140 Fahrenheit, so we haven't had another infestation incident, but we do have to dump the bug corpses on occasion because the people who work in this company are nasty as gently caress, apparently.

When we said we fix computer bugs this was not what we were talking about.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

McGavin posted:

Myrmidon't.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This will only make your peers hate you. Even with open concept all the management that could change things still has offices because they’re the petit bourgeoisie and you’re just scum.

From the thread, those coworkers already do hate you anyway. Deploy the surstromming.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Isentropy posted:

Never do web QA.

web QA rocks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Azuth0667 posted:

From the thread, those coworkers already do hate you anyway. Deploy the surstromming.

This went from 0 to War Crimes real fast

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It's the zeitgeist.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volmarias posted:

Everyone knows middle management is exempt from the Geneva and Hague conventions. The real war crime are the innocent civilian bystanders caught in the noxious fume cloud. Despite what you think of them as coworkers, they're still subject to the gas attack laws.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They know what they signed up for

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

They know what they signed up for

They agreed to the potluck Chili Cookoff, at this point they deserve it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Beans vs No Beans

Stromming has joined the chilli chat.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Volmarias posted:

No quarter.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if microwaving cans of undrained tuna is wrong then i dont wanna be right

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Surstömmning and the Carolina Reaper.

Really stick it to the man.

Also make sure to glitterbomb the nearest toilet beforehand. Really make them stand out that day.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

cynic posted:

We have maybe 600 people in the office - 4 kitchens all with fridges. That I know of there's zero drama and only one fridge thief and they always clean and return peoples containers. But it is a generally nice office with a low chud/high nerd ratio, which might be the key.

I'm sorry but this is insanely funny - the one person that steals food is still nice enough to return the containers, cleaned too. What a lad.

silicone thrills posted:

This on the other hand, is not funny. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I don't know, that sounds very lawyer and very funny.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I think I might just not like lawyers then

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Most suck. Justified opinion. I've met maybe 3 that I like. And even less judges than that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

Most suck. Justified opinion. I've met maybe 3 that I like. And even less judges than that.

Judges, from experience, are sentient cans of surstromming.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

Judges, from experience, are sentient cans of surstromming.

A judge once told my wife she pronounced her name wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I watched a judge receive an affidavit declaring the defendant the inheritor of the decedent's estate, stare at it, stare at the defense attorney, stare at the prosecutor, and then ask if the prosecutor had any objections to this last minute "gotcha" filing.

The prosecutor read it over, and said it was fine. Once it was admitted and given an exhibit ID the prosecutor said "I don't know what value this has as the defendant's mother is still alive."

The defense attorney pretended he didn't hear anything. The judge looked like he was trying to figure out how to call the defense attorney a loving moron without just saying that.

That judge might be the only one I've liked for more than 20 seconds. I mean he's a judge so he's probably still garbage, but watching trash humiliate an even trashier person is vastly entertaining.

"The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy but if I can watch them beat the poo poo out of each other then I can take down the weakened victor." -- Sun Wu Kong probably