Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Automator posted:

I’ve used these things for a few years now, they work great with Bluetooth or usb. They have a built in memory card also. You can update the firmware to use ps5 controllers. I use a hori octa controller with it, it works REALLY well for dc games. If you plug it up to pc you can make the extra face buttons map to the triggers for the capcom fighting games.

Mcbazel Brook Wingman SD Converter for Xbox 360/Xbox One/Xbox Elite 1&2/Xbox Series X&S/PS3/PS4/PS5/Switch Pro Controller to Sega Dreamcast & Saturn Console https://a.co/d/7WwFcVl

HORI Fighting Commander Octa Designed for Xbox Series X|S By - Officially Licensed by Microsoft - Xbox Series X https://a.co/d/407HAyE

Might just be mine, but when I use the HORI Octa with the WingmanSD on my Saturn, the console flips the gently caress out. Works fine on Dreamcast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Haven’t tried it on Saturn, that sucks. Seems like it would be great for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there good new DC controllers with vmu support? I don’t think I could play it without hearing that little VMU scream on startup.

Fixed that for ya

Last year I bought a Retro Fighters Striker DC controller to use with most everything, it’s shaped more like a standard PS4/Xbox pad, and added in bumpers that duplicate the L/R triggers (useful for some fighters though not a true six-button pad). Still has support for VMUs as well.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

harperdc posted:

Fixed that for ya

This new little fancy VMU has an option in the device settings to be able to tell the system to do the low battery scream 😂

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Old karaoke machines like that are towers of power anyway, but it’s still real cool to see an old game console in the same form factor as my dad’s old stereo receiver.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Oh I saw that. They were using the Kareoke machine to play Saturn games. Looks like SCSI terminators on the back

Bonus Pluto

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Aw that is wicked cool!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I wish I would have known about this cool thing like 15 years ago. Would have snagged it from Yahoo auctions or whatever for a decent price instead of a sports cars price it probably goes for now.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
From the controls and the connectors, I'm guessing the module that's not plugged in is the wireless mic receiver?

mewse
May 2, 2006

After The War posted:

From the controls and the connectors, I'm guessing the module that's not plugged in is the wireless mic receiver?

Yes.. zooming in it says "wireless mic receiver" but the model number is illegible. Top to bottom says "wireless mic receiver", "amplifier", "commander", "changer"

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Another shot of the back of that mic unit

Model SKN-5210
Marantz Japan

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welp. There goes any hope of good prices

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That logo goes hard.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

I wish I would have known about this cool thing like 15 years ago. Would have snagged it from Yahoo auctions or whatever for a decent price instead of a sports cars price it probably goes for now.

It wouldn't have been as cool 15 years ago

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The book in front says Sega Karaoke 06-07, these things were still being used in inaka snack bars 15 years ago

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer where I can get a power cable and composite cable for a Genesis Model 2? I lost the power cable over the course of two moves and the AV cable is corroded to the point that I don't know if I'm going to be able to salvage it.

Edit: To be clear, I'm in the US.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 23, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I usually check goodwill first.
If you want to get fancy about it retrogamecave.
I have a trio adapter so it’s got 3 tails. One for the Genesis, one for the sega cd, and one for the 32x.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great, thank you.

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

what’s dreamcast homebrew like these days? i’m having 00s cd-r related nostalgia lately :sweatdrop:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
What are you looking for, new stuff from the ground up or just projects in general? I can say there's been a recent spate of fansubs coming out, including at least one with Confirmed Goon Involvement.

EDIT - Just noticed you said "CD-R," so I can confirm these are all showing up in both GDI and CDI formats, so get them burners ready!

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

i suppose the idea of new or “new” shmups on dreamcast has interested me most!! sega consoles always had the best arcade games imo :o:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

vanquished boner posted:

i suppose the idea of new or “new” shmups on dreamcast has interested me most!! sega consoles always had the best arcade games imo :o:

A lot of the recent fan translations have been SHMUPS, and specifically ones from the very tail end of the DC's lifespan. Trizeal, Under Defeat, Radirgy, and Chaos Field have all had new fansubs over the past couple years. The Karous one from 2019 has been reworked to actually fit onto a CD, and newer CDI files are better all round.

As far as "from the ground up" new projects, it's not as active a scene as it was in the early 2010s, but all those games are still out there. Here's a breakdown of that whole history if you're wondering what all got made.

I don't know our current stance on linking directly to :filez:, but I will say I basically just keep the "translation" section of CDRomance open these days.

Also, I don't know what your current DC setup is, but the Retro Access SCART cable (which can do both 480i and 480p via the old VGA output) through a RetroTINK 5X is about as close to living inside the video processor as you're going to get - utterly breathtaking.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
:toot:
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1718414467112050960

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got my Saturn modem today.

Do I need to do anything special to my DreamPi setup to use it (update it?) or should it Just Work?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Happy anniversary, you sexy hot thing!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Drop that gaudy gold text, give it a cool new name out of the mid-80s Star Trek movies, put that in a badass font right in the middle and you might be onto something!

(The asymmetrical audio gear/sports car thing of the Genesis/MD is my favorite console design ever, I just hate the gold alongside the red and black.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

After The War posted:

Drop that gaudy gold text

They actually used the gold text only on the Asian market, AFAIK.

Internationally, it was turned white:

And I don't know to tell you that Mega Drive is the most Star Trek badass name ever.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Saoshyant posted:

They actually used the gold text only on the Asian market, AFAIK.

Internationally, it was turned white:

And I don't know to tell you that Mega Drive is the most Star Trek badass name ever.

White does look better, but neither Ricardo Montalbán nor Christopher Lloyd say "Mega Drive" in the final cuts of their respective movies, let alone repeatedly, so the name is obviously inferior. :smugbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do we know why they changed the name for America? I feel like Mega Drive would have worked fine here as well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do we know why they changed the name for America? I feel like Mega Drive would have worked fine here as well.

Sega co-founder and head of Sega of America David Rosen simply didn't like the name. He thought "Genesis" was catchier and better reflected a "fresh start" for the company's console division after the Master System never really gained traction.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
There's also the competing story of not wanting to get into a trademark dispute with the hard drive manufacturer "Mega Drive Systems, Inc." I assume they're both true: the trademark issue gave Rosen an excuse to do something he'd already wanted to. From everything I've read, Sega of Japan probably wouldn't have let Sega of America make that major of a change if they weren't citing a legal concern.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

After The War posted:

There's also the competing story of not wanting to get into a trademark dispute with the hard drive manufacturer "Mega Drive Systems, Inc." I assume they're both true: the trademark issue gave Rosen an excuse to do something he'd already wanted to. From everything I've read, Sega of Japan probably wouldn't have let Sega of America make that major of a change if they weren't citing a legal concern.

Segasonic the Hedgehog was named as such in n JP even out of a potential fear of trademark litigation so this fits.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That makes more sense to me. “Genesis” is such an odd replacement name.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It stands out, in any case, which is a good approach when your competitor's name (and similarly named flagship product) is completely synonymous with "modern video games" nearing the ubiquity of Kleenex or Xerox in the late 80s. Nothing else had a name like "Genesis," and certainly not a vidya game box.

EDIT - Man, even just thinking it, the name sounds cool. But I'm probably too Trek-poisoned.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sega Mega Drive sounds better than Sega Genesis just like Super Famicom sounds better than Super Nintendo Entertainment System

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Dell_Zincht posted:

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo SNES console

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
the kids who said snes like it was a word rather than spelling it out weirded me out
s-neh-sss sounds stupid

edit: Genesis meant we could pretend we were talking about the bible if we were careful, there's no book of mega drive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grassy Knowles posted:

the kids who said snes like it was a word rather than spelling it out weirded me out
s-neh-sss sounds stupid

My friends and I always said, "Super N-E-S."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

s-neh-sss sounds stupid

edit: Genesis meant we could pretend we were talking about the bible if we were careful, there's no book of mega drive.

In the UK it was very much pronounced Snezz, I believe Gamesmaster might have had a lot to do with it.

We (or at least my friends and I) used to call its predecessor the Nezz as well.