Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
the Best Buy by me recently made their section bigger. a dude working there told me they’ve been doing big business on it. wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

TheMopeSquad posted:

Eureka has a standard edition 4k Police Story trilogy coming out soon so that's an option.

turns out i have two copies of the limited edition 4k uhd police story trilogy eureka released a while back, both still wrapped. happy to sell one if anyone's interested! paid $70 so would sell it for that.

speaking of which, i have about 10-15 movies i'd like to sell. is it ok to post them here? should i just make a thread in sa-mart and link it here?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

turns out i have two copies of the limited edition 4k uhd police story trilogy eureka released a while back, both still wrapped. happy to sell one if anyone's interested! paid $70 so would sell it for that.

speaking of which, i have about 10-15 movies i'd like to sell. is it ok to post them here? should i just make a thread in sa-mart and link it here?

I’m interested but can’t fully do $70 on police story right now but if it doesn’t sell for another week I definitely could.

But yes make a thread on SA mart.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://x.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1712929928662929822?s=20

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Yeah I think the general normie crowd as a whole is souring on streaming after all the diversification of platforms, constant rate increases and culled selections at apparently random times. I know a lot of people who are complaining about it and miss the "old days" but i am not sure it signifies a return of demand for physical media... Guess we'll see. Stupid time to pull the shelves though, since these discs do nothing but print money - pressing a 4k disc and injection molding the case has to have a real material cost of like ... a dollar or less. idk just making up a figure, but it's not $32.99.

For best buy to remove the shelf presence, that means that someone did an analysis that they could make more money per sq/ft by putting something else there.

I wonder what their big plan is to fill that area? I'll be judging in my head.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my hope is maybe with big chains cutting out physical media itll create demand for specialized stores (like record stores)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Fill the shelves with more $50 monster HDMI cables.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

TheMopeSquad posted:

Fill the shelves with more $50 monster HDMI cables.

they didn't even have that last i was there.

i truly wonder what their plan is, since I know every time I step in I leave like $100 less or more just on movies.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
drat this Kino Lorber 4K of Ronin is freaking huge, bitrate wise

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Sniep posted:

For best buy to remove the shelf presence, that means that someone did an analysis that they could make more money per sq/ft by putting something else there.

I'm sure it's appliances.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Sniep posted:

Last time I was in one, they had a display of wood smokers, so I'm assuming a bunch bigger ticket items and cellphones.

It's a shame though because I know a ton of people who drop serious money on games and movies who say the only reason they don't shop at Best Buy anymore is because there's nothing there TO buy.

Meanwhile places like The Archive and Grindhouse Video seem to be raking in money, so it seems like if they were smart about it, they could probably do really well by expanding the media sections and getting rid of all the stoves and Bluetooth controlled fake fireplaces.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sniep posted:

Our local big electronics chain that had the biggest stock of media (Mediaworld/Mediamarkt) gutted movies to provide more room for vinyls and, once they noticed vinyl doesn't move for poo poo, they used that space to turn the store into a less dense display of expensive products with a more upmarket look.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Last time I was in one, they had a display of wood smokers, so I'm assuming a bunch bigger ticket items and cellphones.

It's a shame though because I know a ton of people who drop serious money on games and movies who say the only reason they don't shop at Best Buy anymore is because there's nothing there TO buy.

Meanwhile places like The Archive and Grindhouse Video seem to be raking in money, so it seems like if they were smart about it, they could probably do really well by expanding the media sections and getting rid of all the stoves and Bluetooth controlled fake fireplaces.

I was talking with my dad about this last night.

I’m at a point in my life where I no longer need to lust for the next big thing. I have more than enough tech. For displays, I can only go to an OLED at this point but I don’t really need to.

Physical media was the only thing keeping a regular tether to the company. It’s still my go-to for picking up this or that component for a client as it’s typically fastest and I get points. But after we pick up our oven in the next year, I couldn’t tell you the next $200+ purchase I plan to make there. But in the last hour I saw that the Wicker Man 4k was well-rated by Blu-Ray.com, I’ve heard it’s p good, and the Steelbook is p cool to me. So that was an easy $20 for me to drop.

At the same time, when I worked there, it was always a low-margin biz. Best Buy maybe makes a couple bucks off of any given title, at least through the mid-2010s.

It’ll be interesting how it affects Best Buy, but maybe also the studios too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dorium posted:

I’m interested but can’t fully do $70 on police story right now but if it doesn’t sell for another week I definitely could.

But yes make a thread on SA mart.

ask and ye shall receive:

20+ films for sale, folks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044716

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Resident Evil 4ks were hosed up in some way, right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gripweed posted:

The Resident Evil 4ks were hosed up in some way, right?

iirc the end credits were changed and there's studio ads in them now

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
:stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sirotan posted:

iirc the end credits were changed and there's studio ads in them now

This is actually a completely fair punishment for spending real money on the Resident Evil movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is actually a completely fair punishment for spending real money on the Resident Evil movies

They’re good, don’t let the gamer bros tell you otherwise.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

they really aren't

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

they really aren't

Ignore this gamer bro.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the first one is ok

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Resident Evil movies are far from good but they're entertaining as hell.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Resident Evil movies are far from good but they're entertaining as hell.

There we go. The actual correct take. Fun bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Some are good and some are bad

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only Resident Evil movies that are downright unwatchable are Apocalypse, Extinction and the Welcome to Raccoon City reboot from two years ago.

The others are all varying levels of entertainingly bad.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Got a response from Umbrella. I asked about the Mario set and whether the BD with extras would also work in a region A player.

:hellyeah:

Looks like I'm buying that basic 4K/BD set. $100 is too dear right now but the $40 is plausible.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RE: Retribution is where it's at. Absolute loving nonsense. Perfection.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Paul WS Anderson loved his wife so much that he built the great American bullet wuxia to honor her.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

The only Resident Evil movies that are downright unwatchable are Apocalypse, Extinction and the Welcome to Raccoon City reboot from two years ago.

The others are all varying levels of entertainingly bad.

Welcome to Raccoon City is cool and good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Welcome to Raccoon City is awesome. All the cheese of the actual RE cutscenes and more fan service than you can shake a stick at.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All the RE films are fun to watch for at least some parts, if not entirely

I’d rather rewatch any of them over the second Silent Hill film

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Over the course of a week for each franchise I have watched every Resident Evil, Final Destination, Friday the 13th, and Saw. All four are about the same. Stupid, trashy, silly, sometimes better than you'd think.

Watching a horror series back to back is great. You settle into the overall vibe and become super aware of all the little attempts to subvert or lean into expectations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The one that ends in the Wesker fight is probably my favorite. Least favorite is Final Chapter by a mile.

It's a very silly series.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

None of the Milla Jovovich Resident Evil movies are good but they are all perfect.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

1. Saw
2. Final Destination
3. Friday the 13th
4. Resident Evil

All are fun, Saw has the most entries I love, FD has the most entries I find rewatchably-fun with friends which is different, and Friday has the legit best film (Jason Lives)

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Sniep posted:

drat this Kino Lorber 4K of Ronin is freaking huge, bitrate wise

Best looking 4K disc I've yet seen honestly. 90's 35mm --> 4K UHD is the best looking stuff in general in my experience.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 16, 2023

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
if you’re drunk the re movies are at least three times better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Best looking 4K disc I've yet seen honestly.

Anyone else wanna share their faves? My biggest Wows have been with The Good The Bad and the Ugly, and Fury Road