Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Its theoretically done!

Next step is to load some film, which I'll be doing with a mate in a few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Super jazzed that I’m able to successfully take measurements such that the deck boards land directly atop the blocking as planned. If I’d missed, I probably would have been annoyed enough to take an entire course of blocking out in order to scootch it over an inch. No need!

I sneak out between meetings to lay down a board or two when I can. Goes surprisingly fast that way. Not as fast as if I could just skip work and get it done, but I’m almost there!

Really happy with how it’s come together.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Been playing around with turmeric anthotype pgotograms

This is a very cheap way to produce something very pretty

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jestery posted:

Been playing around with turmeric anthotype pgotograms

Ooh, is that a cousin to cyanotype? Looks pretty amazing, and the fact it's turmeric-based is simply :kiss:

---------------------------------------------
I'm quoting myself from the leatherwork thread:

Trabant posted:

The bag is done! To recap, the patterns are from Dieselpunk.ro (bag, strap), the leather is 6-7oz veg tan and ~3oz suede from Tandy, and hardware is from Buckleguy.

Weighing in at an absurd, downright comical 3lb 4oz (aka 1.5kg) when empty, it's by far the biggest thing I've made of leather.

Next steps:

1) Use it to get some actual ~*patina*~ going.

2) Never build something like this again. My poor, wretched hands.

3) Build something like this again, because you're a dummy who forgets how much it hurt.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That bag is very awesome

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

Ooh, is that a cousin to cyanotype? Looks pretty amazing, and the fact it's turmeric-based is simply :kiss:

---------------------------------------------
I'm quoting myself from the leatherwork thread:

Very much so

Functionally very similar, just less sensitive by far, but the same techniques (photo grams, anthotype, digital negatives) can be done as well

Its a positive process though, and cyanotyping is a negative process

Just mix a couple taps of turmeric powder with a spirit and filter to get your dye (careful it stains) and use as you would cyanotype

Except the developer is a base solution, you can use bicarbonate of soda if you are doing it around kids

But you will get a more vivid shape if you use borax

Its unfortunately not fast and will fade after about a year or 2 in ambient UV, or a day or so if left in the sun

Nonetheless very pretty and wildly wildly cheap, my first run at it I made maybe 10-15 ml and I've made tens of A5 prints with some still remaining

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
After a long hiatus I finally mustered the will to finish my pre-COVID wood fired pizza oven. It was a fairly steep learning process and a quite a series of headaches but once I got my wrist in the brick laying went fairly smoothly. Arches are tough.

Bonus action shot! Haven't quite dialled in the optimum cooking temp (as several burnt naan bread can attest) but if the weather holds I'll be able to use it in anger this weekend. Just need to make the peel and the door..

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
That's cool. Is the... cement? mortar?... on the outside of the bricks necessary? I liked the clean look of the bricks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks awesome and a wood fired oven is something I definitely plan to build one day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jestery posted:

turmeric anthotype pgotograms

prisencolinensinainciusol

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

That's cool. Is the... cement? mortar?... on the outside of the bricks necessary? I liked the clean look of the bricks.

The outside dome is just to keep the rain off the insulating layer and the vermiculite core as pictured below. Someone once said to me that the mortar's only job is to keep the bricks from touching. I'll probably spadge a load of waterproofing over the dome once the weather has cleared.

Apologies, I just twigged what you were asking. The action shot is from a test fire earlier in the construction. It is just the insulating internal vermiculite layer that was subsequently covered in insulation and the final outer brick layer seen in the first picture.

Ipissedmyself fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 1, 2023

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:krad: and I hope you'll post the resulting pizzas too!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That bag is very awesome
:tipshat:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Badass pizza oven.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My camera took it's first photos today thanks to forums moderator Megabound

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think you might have a hair in the gate.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Nettle Soup posted:

I think you might have a hair in the gate.

Very much so, the felt I used for the wipes needs a shave
and the knobs need a complete redesign

Thing is completely light proof tho, and the exposure times are around 4-5 seconds

But goddamn , it took a photo :D

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That is very cool

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Jestery posted:

Very much so, the felt I used for the wipes needs a shave
and the knobs need a complete redesign

Thing is completely light proof tho, and the exposure times are around 4-5 seconds

But goddamn , it took a photo :D

It is awesome, congrats!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I have some diy light fixtures I want to make, but where can I get LED strips that are hardwired and look good? I've got some cheap ones from amazon that are good for messing around with, but require a plug and have a low CRI.

Neopixel lights exist, but those are likely overkill. Don't need individually addressable lights when they're all going to be set to "white." (Though, being able to adjust temperature would be a nice bonus feature)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Get bicolour / strips that contain two temperatures of white LEDs, and then drivers that can fade between them.

I don't have great sourcing advice for you - Film stuff is great but hella expensive, I think IKEA has some decent compromise stuff.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Jestery posted:

My camera took it's first photos today thanks to forums moderator Megabound

awesome.

Serenade posted:

I have some diy light fixtures I want to make, but where can I get LED strips that are hardwired and look good? I've got some cheap ones from amazon that are good for messing around with, but require a plug and have a low CRI.
Neopixel lights exist, but those are likely overkill. Don't need individually addressable lights when they're all going to be set to "white." (Though, being able to adjust temperature would be a nice bonus feature)
ask the action figure thread in "bisexual super sons". they're always building display stands and such

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Serenade posted:

I bought these a couple years ago and they're awesome.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801845918511.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

I installed it in an inexpensive aluminum track with diffuser in a U shape that I put around the outside of a framed mirror that my wife uses for cosmetics. The color temp has variability and they are stupidly bright. She's been using them on the lowest brightness and they've been great. Really terrific for even lighting without shadows.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have continued developing (lol) my pinhole camera and got some time on a laser cutter and worked this one out

Its a half frame pinhole camera, meaning I get 72+ photos from one roll, wildly simple and about as robust as you can get

Took some test photos today and some more with V1

So I'll post them once I get them developed

Edit, that was a design deadend to some extent

After a bit of loving round with the laser cutter I've settled on this, and am extremely happy with it

I'm going to be taking it on a honeymoon where I'm going to see some aurora, and I figure a pinhole will be perfect for long exposure like that and really make some memorable images

Jestery fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 23, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

UPDATE:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
That's super cool Jestery, congrats!

The pictures have a ton of character with the 'defects' that aren't digitally generated. The film grain, lens scratches, the er, um... side pubes, and just the general knowledge that they were made on a hand-made camera make them awesome.

:nice:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

PDP-1 posted:

That's super cool Jestery, congrats!

The pictures have a ton of character with the 'defects' that aren't digitally generated. The film grain, lens scratches, the er, um... side pubes, and just the general knowledge that they were made on a hand-made camera make them awesome.

:nice:

ty

the side pubes have been designed out in the latest version which (with the assistance of a laser cutter) be able to be made for like 10 bucks, if that ill upload to thingiverse and give a little tear down video in a bit if anyone wants to make one

I have ideas for version two, I'm not happy with using tape but its kind of necessary for something this simple

next itteration will be tapeless but im too designed out at the moment to feature creep, the drat thing takes photos you know

yeah if i want high fidelity I can just use my phone or a high end bit of hardware, im happy having something that projects ~~~FILM~~~ onto a subject even at the expense of detail

my long term goal is to set up a small run hobby print shop that can operate entirely without computers and make albums of my year or give away my photos and this dinky little camera is sufficient to produce images that im...happy enough.. with

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jestery posted:

the drat thing takes photos you know

Such an incredibly cool and inspiring project!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Thingiverse page
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6337099

Playlist with overview, assembly and future plans
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgVyu25Zh3FVbK7ExFJ6rIqn_Vchg2lIj&si=aL6KzPdvFPhMX6Dh

I've submitted it to hackaday too , so watch this space

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Permanent christmas light install. Assuming it works out long term, should end up way cheaper that having someone install them every year, and there's no way I'm going up there every year anyway. Was about $800 + the cost of renting a lift.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bobua posted:

Permanent christmas light install. Assuming it works out long term, should end up way cheaper that having someone install them every year, and there's no way I'm going up there every year anyway. Was about $800 + the cost of renting a lift.

Very cool. What products did you end up using? I would like to put up lights no more than 1 more time on my house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m also interested in what you went with and how you feel it turned out. Been thinking about doing the same.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

bobua posted:

This looks slick as hell. Love it

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Went with the led's, controller, and power supply from https://www.permatrack.us/

They were out of the tracks in the color I wanted, so I bought drip edge from home depot at $5 per 10ft already matching my eve color. Drilled holes at 2inch spacing and popped the leds in, then secured behind the eves. Here's a picture of what they look like installed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It's really not that fancy, so I'm not putting it in the woodworking thread, but I made this flight board for my neighbor and I to have our annual Mad Elf tasting.
(he has one bottle from each of the last 6 years saved, every year we move it up a notch. 2 years ago was the first one, last year we decided to get fancier with it)

I printed out coasters with the years on card stock that will fit into the recesses for the glasses

My co-worker made the logo up for me as he's really good at CNC stuff (that cost me a case of Peroni) and I colored it in using paint markers and hit it with a couple coats of poly.

I used the old elf logo because I like it better than the current one, and it is also visually a lot simpler so I figured that would help with turning it into something that can be carved.

The wood is maple.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 16, 2023

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
^ Disagree, I think that's pretty great.

My most recent project, the wife wanted some matching reindeer to go with the sleigh:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

^ Disagree, I think that's pretty great.

My most recent project, the wife wanted some matching reindeer to go with the sleigh:

The deer look great.
Does the sleigh easily break down? I could absolutely see doing something like that for next year, but I don't want to have to store a sleigh for the rest of the year.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Failed at this kinda spectacularly about 3 years ago, decided to finally share my shame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LzeYwV35U

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

The deer look great.
Does the sleigh easily break down? I could absolutely see doing something like that for next year, but I don't want to have to store a sleigh for the rest of the year.

Forgot to answer this.

Yeah the sleigh breaks down very easily. It's all hidden screws and/or pocket holes. I store it packed flat in the storage space in my shed.

The reindeer fell over in very high winds, so that project has added a way to attach them to the sleigh and keep them upright.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Trabant posted:

Failed at this kinda spectacularly about 3 years ago, decided to finally share my shame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LzeYwV35U

:lmao: wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I wanted a drying rack for my bar glasses so I made one out of a spare piece of walnut I had kicking around.

If I was going to do it again I'd be a little more careful about the dimensions (that one top part is obvioulsy wider than the rest, but I was just messing around with some scrap. I'd also do the bottom dadoes first, the dado stack kind of blew out some of the angled pieces.