Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

That's 1,000 new chargers per month, 33 new chargers per day.

In the 8 hours I worked today, I fixed a bug in some JavaScript, and Tesla brought up 11 new chargers.

I played 6 hours of No Mans Sky and pooped three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

borkencode posted:

Enjoy your last month and a half of not seeing big stainless steel triangles driving around. Tesla has announced cybertruck deliveries start November 30.

Thankfully they will never come to Australia so I'm still good

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

priznat posted:

I wonder if I will see a cybertruck or a hummer ev first. So far haven’t seen either in person. Probably the hummer.

You're not going to see the HUMMER as it runs a red light and T-bones you with 4 times the kinetic energy of a compact crossover.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's going to crabwalk out from a parked position right in front of you on a city street, a cool new feature

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Chronojam posted:

It's going to crabwalk out from a parked position right in front of you on a city street, a cool new feature

The tiniest possible red only flasher signals weakly indicating

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I played 6 hours of No Mans Sky and pooped three times.

I've been thinking about buying that game, but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much time per day on the can.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

cruft posted:

I've been thinking about buying that game, but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much time per day on the can.

he did all that while driving his tesla

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

cruft posted:

When you play it in VR the UI is a disaster so its pretty much like driving a Chinese brand EV

Ive sunk 200 hours into this game :(

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Spotted a Hummer EV already, pulling out of a Starbucks drive through, because of course.

It honestly didn't seem as big as the H2, but I haven't seen an H2 in ages, and it could just be faulty memory and or styling differences.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the only thing i wish the bolt had was a faster charging speed.

Oh and the break light design is pretty stupid. the brake lights are on the bumper when you press the brake instead of the big jellybeans in the back where you'd think they'd be, so a few people have already got rear ended because of it (not me but now it's a One Fear thing)

I’m thinking about Bolt

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ROFLBOT posted:

When you play it in VR the UI is a disaster so its pretty much like driving a Chinese brand EV

Ive sunk 200 hours into this game :(

I can’t stop playing it I think it has given me mental illness I need to find a sentinel interceptor that has four adjacent supercharged slots.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

priznat posted:

I wonder if I will see a cybertruck or a hummer ev first. So far haven’t seen either in person. Probably the hummer.

I have seen two Hummer EVs, you are not fully prepared for how horrific they look in person.

I mean, not that they are particularly ugly, it's just, WTF is wrong with you that you are driving it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I saw one of the Hummer EVs at the dealer, looks like a fat Avalanche, not really crazy huge compared to a full size pickup.

cruft posted:

That's 1,000 new chargers per month, 33 new chargers per day.

In the 8 hours I worked today, I fixed a bug in some JavaScript, and Tesla brought up 11 new chargers.

I cleaned my desk because we don't have any work.

But I probably could've installed 12 Superchargers, 'cause I'm real fast at wirin' stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

priznat posted:

I've seen two hummers

one on the road and one parked on the lawn in front of a dealership near me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I see a lot of Lightnings around and every time I boggle at what a pain in the rear end it must be to park in tight parking lots, like all full-size trucks.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Failson posted:

Spotted a Hummer EV already, pulling out of a Starbucks drive through, because of course.

It honestly didn't seem as big as the H2, but I haven't seen an H2 in ages, and it could just be faulty memory and or styling differences.

I saw one out in the hamptons and yeah my immediate reactions was that it looks small compared to a gas hummer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I know this is going to come as a shock to you all, but the Tesla CCS retrofit promised for early mid 2023 is still not available. Web site says:

tesla's web site posted:

Note: For Model 3 and Model Y vehicles requiring a retrofit, please check back in mid-2023 for availability.

e: for those in our home audience, this matters because as NACS connectors get added to non-Tesla L3 charging stations, older Teslas like mine will be unable to charge, even though the connector fits.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 19, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cruft posted:

I know this is going to come as a shock to you all, but the Tesla CCS retrofit promised for early mid 2023 is still not available. Web site says:

e: for those in our home audience, this matters because as NACS connectors get added to non-Tesla L3 charging stations, older Teslas like mine will be unable to charge, even though the connector fits.

This is why I honestly don't think NACS is going to happen and why all the automakers have given themselves such long runways to make what should basically be a simple connector change, NACS is going to screw Tesla drivers and objectively make their charging both more confusing and less accessible. I know Elon loves his fed handouts but this will make buying any used Tesla a dice roll at this point on charging.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Good

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cruft posted:

Wait, so old Teslas won't be able to use non-Tesla chargers even after they add NACS connectors?

Isn't that their own standard?

This seems overly confusing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like they should just ship you an adapter. Retrofitting sounds like a lot.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Wait, so old Teslas won't be able to use non-Tesla chargers even after they add NACS connectors?

Isn't that their own standard?

This seems overly confusing.

The open NACS format is CCS1 with a different plug. Pre-2021 North American Teslas don't speak CCS1, so whoops, sorry owners!

Vegetable posted:

Seems like they should just ship you an adapter. Retrofitting sounds like a lot.

New NACS-> old NACS adapter sounds weird. Knowing Tesla, they'll probably do this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

This is why I honestly don't think NACS is going to happen and why all the automakers have given themselves such long runways to make what should basically be a simple connector change, NACS is going to screw Tesla drivers and objectively make their charging both more confusing and less accessible. I know Elon loves his fed handouts but this will make buying any used Tesla a dice roll at this point on charging.

1.5 years isn’t really a long runway for an auto maker to make even a relatively small change. They have to source parts from somewhere and that somewhere needs enough time to scale production and build back stock.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’d agree with 3Os skepticism if EA hadn’t made everyone loathe them. The lesser of 2 evils was chosen.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Old tesla won't charge? That's too bad, we'll sell you a new one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So what exactly is the "old tesla"? When is the cutoff?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrox posted:

So what exactly is the "old tesla"? When is the cutoff?

Tesla didn't begin shipping cars in North America with built-in CCS1 support until 2020. Every NA CCS1 compatible Tesla will be able to use a Chargepoint(or any other non-Supercharger) using NACS connectors, except for those unlucky older Tesla owners. This isn't that big of a deal since 90% of all public DCFC stalls in NA are Tesla Superchargers anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How can the Teslas upgrade their charging speed anyway, and by that measure, why can't other EVs?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How can the Teslas upgrade their charging speed anyway, and by that measure, why can't other EVs?

What's this post referring to? The last time any of the T brand cars had any significant boost was when the Supercharger V3 network came out (125kW limit to 250kW limit), and only the newer models could really take advantage of that. V4 promises similar boosts but it seems only the Cybertruck will take advantage of that in the early stages (800V, 350kW+).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NACS to NACS adapters potentially having to be a thing is funny as hell

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft's second guide to charging standards

Preface: connectors vs protocols

The first thing you have to understand is that there are (at least) two aspects to a charger: there's the physical connector and the protocol.

It's not unlike USB, Apple's lightning cable, and Thunderbolt. There are different connectors that go into different ports, but even then, you might get different functionality based on what the devices are capable of.

So with USB3 (the blue connector), you can plug a USB3 hard drive into a 2005 laptop, but you won't get USB3 speeds, because the laptop only speaks USB2. Similarly, even though you can adapt USB C to USB A, that doesn't mean old phone chargers can fast charge new phones: a high-quality older USB charger will never provide more than 10W.

Common Protocols in the United States:

• SAE J1772: The Protocol
  • CHAdeMO: The Protocol
  • CCS
  • Tesla

Common plugs in the United States:

• SAE J1772: The Plug
  • CHAdeMO: The Plug
  • CCS1: J1772 with two more (fat) pins at the bottom.
  • NACS: also known as "Tesla plug"

Chargers You Might Find in the US in the year 2026:

• SAE J1772 = J1772 (protocol) + J1772 (plug): L2 chargers everywhere
  • CHAdeMO = CHAdeMO (protocol) + CHAdeMO (plug): That crazy thing the Nissan LEAF uses, and nobody else
  • CCS1 = CCS (protocol) + CCS1 (plug): What's on the Bolt and Mach E
  • NACS L2 = J1772 (protocol) + NACS (plug): What cruft has in his driveway
  • NACS CCS = CCS (protocol) + NACS (plug): What PlugShare is installing. V4 Superchargers probably also do this. V3 superchargers might: there's no way to check until somebody other than Tesla makes a NACS car.
  • NACS Tesla = Tesla (protocol) + NACS (plug): Superchargers

The NACS connector + CCS protocol is undergoing a standardization process that may yield something different, or may be the same thing we have now in 2023. Whatever we wind up with will be called SAE J3400, and will be what everybody gets with their 2026 GM EV.

Adapters that might exist in 2026:

• SAE J1772 -> NACS L2: These come with every Tesla
  • NACS L2 -> SAE J1772: This is being sold right now as a "TeslaTap"
  • CHAdeMO -> NACS Tesla: For a while, you could buy these for $450 from Tesla. They come with a teeny computer inside them to translate the protocols.
  • CCS1 -> NACS CCS: Tesla is currently selling these, but it requires the car to speak CCS, and they're not selling that retrofit yet
  • NACS CCS -> CCS1: This would be a pretty easy thing to make. But it might never get made, because people are going to assume it's a NACS Tesla -> CCS1 adapter, discover it isn't, and leave one-star reviews.

Adapters I don't think you will ever see:

• CHAdeMO -> Anything: Would require expensive computers and cost $400 or more
  • Anything -> CHAdeMO: Same story. Don't buy a LEAF.
  • NACS Tesla -> CCS1: It's possible Tesla can push a firmware update to V1-3 superchargers that will get them speaking CCS in addition to the Tesla protocol. If they do this, we might see this adapter. But I have heard that the current state of car-side CCS implementation is a horror show, and Tesla might not want to wade into the same perception of low reliability that EA and their pals currently get accused of. More thoughts on this (warning: in October 2023 it's beginning to look like I guessed wrong)
  • NACS CCS -> NACS Tesla: This is what Tiny Timbs is talking about. I don't think it'll get made.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 19, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

NACS is like the Apple Lightning cable of EVs except every manufacturer is begrudgingly going to start using since there's no neat USB-C version. I kind of feel bad for Europe since they have to deal with clunky CCS2 connectors for the foreseeable future.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft's incomplete overview of weird poo poo in other countries

Let's talk about other standards!

• IEC 62196 Type 2 "Mennekes": This is what Europe has instead of the J1772
  • Mennekes Tesla: Older Tesla cars in Europe (and maybe New Zealand?) support DC over the Mennekes connector. It'd be like getting L3 charge on a J1772. Yes, this is as confusing to people as you suspect.
  • CCS2: Like CCS1 but with a Mennekes connector on top instead of a J1772. Every new car in Europe uses this since like 2019.
  • ChaoJi / CHAdeMO v3: Japan and China came up with something that looks a lot like the NACS connector, maybe a touch larger. I think this is going to be standard for new cars in 2024, but I'm not sure.

European CCS2 cars speak the CCS protocol, just like CCS1 and (post-maybe-2021) NACS cars. ChaoJi, and the earlier CHAdeMO, take a very different approach to several key things like "which side locks the charger to the car" and "how electricity delivery is negotiated". Any adapter between these two will need expensive electronics in the adapter itself. Tesla made that CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter, so we know this sort of thing is possible. But it was $450.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 19, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Once 25+ year-old iconic EVs become able to import, we'll either see CCS2->CCS1 conversion kits IMO. That's gonna be a while from now though. What EU-only EVs are iconic right now, the Honda E?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Once 25+ year-old iconic EVs become able to import, we'll either see CCS2->CCS1 conversion kits IMO. That's gonna be a while from now though. What EU-only EVs are iconic right now, the Honda E?

Yeah, I think I actually did find a company that made something to convert... CHAdeMO maybe, to CCS1. It was this big ol' box, like, 18 inches on each side, and it may have required a battery or AC power. And it was like $1200.

A CCS2 to CCS1 (or vice-versa) conversion wouldn't be a big deal, by comparison.

But people dedicated to having a Japanese EV for whatever reason will put up with all manner of inconvenience, because what's one more questionable decision.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 19, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

NACS to NACS adapters potentially having to be a thing is funny as hell

I added a bullet point to my "things that I don't think will ever exist", thanks for mentioning it.

If you have an older Tesla without the retrofit, like I do right now, you just won't be able to use ChargePoint or EA station, just like you always haven't been able to. It's lame, but at least you can (maybe, someday) drop money on retrofitting your car to the newer standard, unlike the situation with the Nissan LEAF, where you are just boned forever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

cruft posted:

If you have an older Tesla without the retrofit, like I do right now, you just won't be able to use ChargePoint or EA station, just like you always haven't been able to. It's lame, but at least you can (maybe, someday) drop money on retrofitting your car to the newer standard, unlike the situation with the Nissan LEAF, where you are just boned forever.

Nisan STILL makes their Leafs with CHAdeMO to this day!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Weird that Tesla keeps pushing back the CCS retrofit availability, from what I understand it's just a new ECU in the trunk and a wiring adapter for some older models. People are already doing DIY installs, since the ECU is available. There's probably about 500k-600k cars that could be updated, but the uptake rate on a $400 optional change isn't going to be super high I would bet. Plus as I said people are already doing it themselves, so that should have cut demand as well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zoe's are everywhere but I doubt many people will want to import one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I wrote all that down mostly because of a thing GATOS Y VATOS posted that triggered me spending hours going through old cruft shitposts to find the first time I did it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR, I would like to formally apply for a link to cruft's second guide to charging standards in the OP, so I never have to read my old posts again. Some of them are really bad.

If anybody wants corrections/additions to my guide, please holler.