Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i think i've finally weaned myself off from reading HN

god it is so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
From the dept of extreme pedentary:

blueflow 3 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> and the overloading of ESC for the actual ESC key

What else was the ESC key made for if not the control code?

silon42 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

On a modern PC, Esc key is Esc key... whatever the application wants to use it for (99% time, cancel some UI operation).

To me it's insane that one of the most used key command has a 1 second delay in the terminal.

Or that typically Esc + some function/arrow key results in some junk.

blueflow 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

If you type in junk into the keyboard, junk is what you get on the screen. I see the fault with the developers that overload the keys for existing control characters with a different meaning.

> whatever the application wants to use it for

With the application being a terminal emulator, that is emitting an ESC character.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

paulpauper 0 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

In the US still, the path to success is a highly optimized one: start early, max out the extracurriculars, become an outlier among outliers. GitHub has become the new resume. No one cares that you worked at Petco at 17; they want to see your repos, your pull requests. Today's elite and top earners are not born, like under the aristocracy or nobility, but rather forged, of course assuming the potential is there, like IQ.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

In the US still, the path to success is a highly optimized one: start early, max out the extracurriculars, become an outlier among outliers. GitHub has become the new resume. No one cares that you worked at Petco at 17; they want to see your repos, your pull requests. Today's elite and top earners are not born, like under the aristocracy or nobility, but rather forged, of course assuming the potential is there, like IQ.

this is literally what every parent of school-aged children in santa clara and san mateo counties believes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That post really deserves some sort of award for distilling the essence of hn into such a short post.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

no-one has ever wanted to see my github and i have never once been impressed by a candidates github

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

josh04 posted:

no-one has ever wanted to see my github and i have never once been impressed by a candidates github

This is how you find out you are not the outlier among outliers. You didn't max out your extracurriculars, did you? I'm assuming you have an IQ.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i've received two obscure job offers from "looking at my github" via e-mail that came from asian countries, and i'm assuming they wanted me less for my python and js skills than my internal organs, but i still wrote them a nice "no thank you, but i appreciate it" just in case

maybe i could be living the life right now instead of being stuck here in europe

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i was impressed by a candidate's github once and they ended up being not a very good hire because it turned out that they were great at impressive looking small projects and not so great at working on anything else

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i moved my github projects to sourcehut because i specifically didn't like the feeling that there was an audience

bonus: if anyone wants to report a problem then they gotta send an email. gotten two contacts this way and it's been way nicer than bugs filed by entitled github jerks

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the weirdest experience is actually making a random gist for personal use only for it to show up in google search results and gain a massive audience you don't even discover until years letter due to a lack of e-mail notifications

it's always the stuff you don't remember at all

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

fritz posted:

I know when I think of the elite, I think of a nerd with a GitHub account.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

at my last 3 companies[*] I have forbidden our recruiters from using people’s GitHub repositories as input into hiring decisions. sourcers can find people that way, that’s fine, but it doesn’t go into candidate profiles or get looked at by the interviewers or hiring managers

it puts people who don’t do open source at a disadvantage, and you don’t have to be a hobbyist programmer to be a good professional developer. it’s worse than take-home assignments from an equity perspective, and those are also verboten wherever I can enforce or convince

[*] one set of recruiters at my current place is fighting me on this, and I think one major stakeholder isn’t totally sold, but it’s mostly been effective and I will win in the fullness of time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hell yeah, im gonna be hitting you up when google inevitably lays me off

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

at my last 3 companies[*] I have forbidden our recruiters from using people’s GitHub repositories as input into hiring decisions. sourcers can find people that way, that’s fine, but it doesn’t go into candidate profiles or get looked at by the interviewers or hiring managers

it puts people who don’t do open source at a disadvantage, and you don’t have to be a hobbyist programmer to be a good professional developer. it’s worse than take-home assignments from an equity perspective, and those are also verboten wherever I can enforce or convince

[*] one set of recruiters at my current place is fighting me on this, and I think one major stakeholder isn’t totally sold, but it’s mostly been effective and I will win in the fullness of time

:hai:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

next up, fix your process so that passing it does not heavily imply requiring the free time hobbies of leetcode and reading ctci

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

github repos can be useful, a green wall of useless help me juice my resume requests means the candidate is likely to try and gently caress coworkers over later

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4lokos basilisk posted:

next up, fix your process so that passing it does not heavily imply requiring the free time hobbies of leetcode and reading ctci

we don’t do leetcode already, I didn’t even have to fix that!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

kliras posted:

the weirdest experience is actually making a random gist for personal use only for it to show up in google search results and gain a massive audience you don't even discover until years letter due to a lack of e-mail notifications

it's always the stuff you don't remember at all

in 2013 a guy working at the company i was doing a bit of consulting for told me that his favorite interview question was to ask a candidate what their favorite gists were. it was my first exposure to the idea that some people treated gists as something other than just a github-hosted pastebin and i was very confused by the concept.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

in 2013 a guy working at the company i was doing a bit of consulting for told me that his favorite interview question was to ask a candidate what their favorite gists were. it was my first exposure to the idea that some people treated gists as something other than just a github-hosted pastebin and i was very confused by the concept.
I've used stuff from gists before (either complete scripts or just as an api reference) but I literally don't even understand how you can have a "favorite gist"

Yeah it would be like being asked "what's your favorite pastebin post"

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Plorkyeran posted:

i don’t understand, is there like... gist culture?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

apparently github has (or had in 2013) a trending gists page similar to the trending repos page and there were people who closely watched that. the whole social network side of github has always been super weird and thankfully very easy to ignore because it's completely siloed off from the doing actual work part of github

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

FMguru posted:

im trying to remember the tech exec a couple of years ago who was microdosing lsd to make him sharper in meetings. which, lol

(also i assume any time someone describes themselves as "microdosing" they are actually "dosing" if not "macrodosing")

this guy?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-28/startup-ceo-fired-for-dropping-acid-says-he-was-a-victim-of-discrimination

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

well-read undead posted:

i don’t understand, is there like... gist culture?

more people assuming their personal obsession is something common
which is cute and all until you make that a basis for turning candidates down

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Leck posted:

good call, I may have been running it together with slashdot or something else like that in my mind. I’m not sure I’ve ever put this much thought into the competing cultures of sites that get made fun of in this thread
slashdot: everything should be $free and open source and I shouldn't have to pay for anything and be allowed to do whatever I want

hn: how much could I cash out if I created an app for toilet paper arbitrage?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

"hey, boy! what are your favourite gists?"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
On rare occasions HN can be self aware:

rich_sasha 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: NASA just sent a software update to a spacecraft 1...

They are doing it all wrong. Who runs on-prem hardware these days??? They should put it all in the cloud, they can replicate and have many instances of virtual Voyagers, not the measly 2. CDN should help with latency too, I hear their latency is measured in many hours, and is getting worse every day! Also, software update, big deal - use CI/CD!

They probably don't have a Kanban board either... Dinosaurs!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

now this is a narrative

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That guy's an insufficiently embarrassed millionaire.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jefferson and Lincoln (among other American Founders)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Would-be Jeffersonian yeoman who hates corporations and believes the powers-that-be permitted labor unions in order to boost the economy by increasing corporate profitability

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

wly_cdgr 4 hours ago | parent | next [–]

Anime is often the best source of high quality general-audience information about a topic

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

wly_cdgr 4 hours ago | parent | next [–]

Anime is often the best source of high quality general-audience information about a topic

sad to see smoka reduced to posting about anime on hn :(

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

screye 0 minutes ago | next [–]

The US has 3 unsurmountable advantages over everyone.
1. Natural resources
2. The American dream of entrepreneurship and immigrant success.
3. The work-is-sacred American professional-managerial class.
Stable countries decay due to 3 things. First, import pressure can ruin a nation as all its productivity gets extorted out of it by a pseudo-colonial exporter. Natural resources solve this. Second, general lethargy causes productivity to die. But the secularozed protestant work ethic keeps the gears running. Lastly, productive nations can still lose if they miss technological revolution, which can often happen overnight. But the American dream ensures that no one tries to disrupt like Americans, and the most disruptive foreigners are drawn in such that their aha-moment still occurs here.
It's honestly, perfect.
But, don't let that distract you from freeloaders who ride this wave of American productivity. The housing industry, cartelized middle men, lobbyists & bloated executives might still be net negative.
The US isn't just productive. It is productive beyond the wildest imagination of the rest of world. But, that tends to not show up in the numbers or in practice, because a just as large industry of grifters keeps it from cashing it its productivity.
The US wins, not by being more efficient or effective. But by sheer brute force.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

maxlin 5 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

100 years with ZERO humans on mars? You have no sense of risk or scale. We should be there already.
We're focusing everything on the easier planet that might not be livable after one year of bad politics. In 100 years your kind of thinking will be considered ludditean and playing russian roulette with 5 in the chamber for no reason.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I love how people think living on mars would somehow be easier than surviving on earth after climate change or a nuclear war or whatever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

I love how people think living on mars would somehow be easier than surviving on earth after climate change or a nuclear war or whatever
the soil on this planet literally explodes when exposed to water, why arent we all living there already?!?!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

fritz posted:

The US isn't just productive. It is productive beyond the wildest imagination of the rest of world. But, that tends to not show up in the numbers or in practice

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

npunt 31 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Think bigger.
"Driverless cars" are a technology that moves atoms without the need for people, a lot like how we move bits around today. There are innumerable benefits to moving the right atoms to the right places at the right time.
There are many form factors that moving atoms can take, only one of which looks like a car. The car is a good place to start for many reasons, including everyone needing transportation, existing infrastructure, existing culture, wasted time commuting, etc.
Now think about what comes after all "cars" are driverless. Their form factors change, roads change, infrastructure changes, proximity between people changes, life changes. Roads are like arteries that feed population centers, and if we can reconfigure them without worry about whether humans can keep up, we unlock whole new ways of living, almost like unlocking new organs with vastly different structures in the super-organism that is society.
The very story of life itself is evolving to move atoms around in new and more complex ways. This is one of the most fundamental and important techs we can invest in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

npunt 31 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Think bigger.
"Driverless cars" are a technology that moves atoms without the need for people, a lot like how we move bits around today. There are innumerable benefits to moving the right atoms to the right places at the right time.
There are many form factors that moving atoms can take, only one of which looks like a car. The car is a good place to start for many reasons, including everyone needing transportation, existing infrastructure, existing culture, wasted time commuting, etc.
Now think about what comes after all "cars" are driverless. Their form factors change, roads change, infrastructure changes, proximity between people changes, life changes. Roads are like arteries that feed population centers, and if we can reconfigure them without worry about whether humans can keep up, we unlock whole new ways of living, almost like unlocking new organs with vastly different structures in the super-organism that is society.
The very story of life itself is evolving to move atoms around in new and more complex ways. This is one of the most fundamental and important techs we can invest in.

counterpoint: no it isn’t