Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
slash git slash womb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/K206TMJ.mp4

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol it's perfect

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
spectre strikes back https://ileakage.com
https://twitter.com/moo9000/status/1717264586703773828

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

solid 5 minutes of crunching for the demo on what is presumably a fast mac, so i wouldn't immediately lose sleep over it.

also pretty clear something needs to be done, but the central glitch seems a trivial fix: safari not creating a separate rendering process for window.open where it does for all other ways of opening another page.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 26, 2023

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hahaha

mystes
May 31, 2006

incredible

102623_6
Oct 27, 2023
[help!] my security software is killing me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

solid 5 minutes of crunching for the demo on what is presumably a fast mac, so i wouldn't immediately lose sleep over it.

also pretty clear something needs to be done, but the central glitch seems a trivial fix: safari not creating a separate rendering process for window.open where it does for all other ways of opening another page.

do the other ways of opening a page provide a script-accessible link between pages? it’s a lot easier to separate processes if they don’t have to have a unified script universe…

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pro tip do not open pages ever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it is actually always safe to turn off your computer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

Windows 95 begs to differ

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
it is only safe to turn off your computer with an acpi shutdown that ensures all write caches are flushed

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Achmed Jones posted:

but it’s never safe to turn off your monitor

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Achmed Jones posted:

sounds like this dude bought a machine in likr 2015 wtf big spender

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://usa.kaspersky.com/about/press-releases/2023_stripedfly-a-worming-miner-hiding-sophisticated-code-and-espionage-ready-capabilities

https://securelist.com/stripedfly-perennially-flying-under-the-radar/110903/

quote:

Woburn, MA – October 26, 2023 – Kaspersky experts have uncovered a previously unknown, highly sophisticated malware, dubbed StripedFly, affecting over a million victims around the world since at least 2017. Initially acting as a cryptocurrency miner, it turned out to be a complex malware with a multi-functional wormable framework.

It runs on both Windows and Linux, captures and sends a lot of your personal data to the creator.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
turn off..... computer?

mystes
May 31, 2006

does anyone know how to detect this on linux?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

On Linux, the malware assumes the name 'sd-pam'. It achieves persistence using systemd services, an autostarting .desktop file, or by modifying various profile and startup files, such as /etc/rc*, profile, bashrc, or inittab files.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

code:
$ ps aux | grep sd-pam
nnt         2887  0.0  0.0  26164  6048 ?        S    01:30   0:00 (sd-pam)
nnt        58906  0.0  0.0   6548  2492 pts/0    S+   14:25   0:00 grep sd-pam
god loving dammit

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ok, scratch that. sd-pam can be legit too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

argv can be spoofed (very easily) you should look at the proc file system for the binary path

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i did, that's what made me say scratch that. the exe is /usr/lib/systemd/systemd which has a good hash

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

not saying you're affected, because 99.999999% sure you're not

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

ok, scratch that. sd-pam can be legit too
Yeah the reason I asked was that was my first thought and there's a process with that name on my computer but it apparently is also the name of something that runs normally

spankmeister posted:

argv can be spoofed (very easily) you should look at the proc file system for the binary path
yeah mine seems to be systemd so hopefully it's ok

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 29, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DrPossum posted:

turn off..... computer?

:hmmyes:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

this malware was discovered six years ago and the vuln it relies on was patched shortly afterward (at least on Windows), so anyone in this thread is probably safe

the reason it's getting a new bulletin now is because it was originally classified as just a cryptominer. when it was first analyzed, they saw it mining monero and figured that was it, they didn't realize it did other things too

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
work has declared the entire jetbrains intellij idea software ecosystem ( especially the plugins ) to be a secfuck. apparently someone CISO ish saw a review of their code practices by some “independent” security checklist thing which gave them Fs in everything. all jetbrains ide things are now forbidden.

and yet somehow vscode and its plugins are OK ????

half the developers in the company are losing their drat minds, and a boatload of them will probably quit over this decision.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fresh_cheese posted:

work has declared the entire jetbrains intellij idea software ecosystem ( especially the plugins ) to be a secfuck. apparently someone CISO ish saw a review of their code practices by some “independent” security checklist thing which gave them Fs in everything. all jetbrains ide things are now forbidden.

half the developers in the company are losing their drat minds, and a boatload of them will probably quit over this decision.

Reject modernity, return to Vim.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

fresh_cheese posted:

any info on this review? i know they have a 9.8 actively explored cve in teamcity but most of the other jetbrains related stuff i’ve seen is eastern bloc panic and solarwinds trying to shift some blame to them

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Volmarias posted:

neovim is modernity :unsmigghh:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

tell the ciso about how NPM works so u can get javascript banned from your work

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's hard to think of anything in a developer IDE that would rate that sort of severity - what with, you know, being desktop software that doesn't typically get exposed to hostile input until you've already compromised the system

unless there's something like "a malformed license server response giving rce" that can be triggered without authentication

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the risk would be compromise in your tools leads to compromise in your output. a supply chain attack type thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if someone hacks into your computer and replaces notepad.exe with something that looks like notepad but secretly introduces bugs in your code, that's not a vulnerability in notepad

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shaggar posted:

the risk would be compromise in your tools leads to compromise in your output. a supply chain attack type thing
yeah and that generally comes back to the tools not being easy to get in your region and convenient third-parties providing malicious versions, but hey it is government certified just not the ones you wanted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

if someone hacks into your computer and replaces notepad.exe with something that looks like notepad but secretly introduces bugs in your code, that's not a vulnerability in notepad

no, but if you dont have any protections against notepad replacement attacks and then you ship your code to your clients its a vulnerability in your own security practices

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Volmarias posted:

yall have already seen my rants, yall know IDGAF about any of this because i use the superior vim and terminals workflow.

im mostly curious if theres legit actually a code supply chain integrity difference between vscode and jetbrains

like the argument against jetbrains tools is that the plugins slurp up your code and send it to a cloud butt service somewhere to do things and make your code more gooder, but somehow the vscode plugins dont??

like maybe if they curate an in house vscode and plugin set with code signing and turn off the ability to install random plugins off github maybe??? but you cant do the same for jetbrains???

or maybe CISO is a moron???

:iiam:

simble
May 11, 2004

with an IDE devs could write anything. even computer “viruses”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

yea and apparently its somehow easier to hack jetbrains itself and plugins to then attack a software companys product to then attack the real target of govt/hospital/largebank

but vscode is less vulnerable to this, somehow

its like ye old “modify the compiler to add backdoors and modify future compilers to also add backdoors” kinda thinking. which isnt wrong.

im just wondering if theres legit a real difference between jetbrains and vscode aside from the size of the wallet you can sue if their crap ends up busted.

or maybe something in the licensing that somehow better limits jetbrains liability if they get got??