Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just buy a new ER-X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

Feeling stupid but where?

On the mybell.bell.ca site after you login, the username is also beside the internet tab and under "Settings" there is "Change modem access password".
I'm not sure if automatic but you can set the username and password on the modem webpage , under "Service health" and click on Internet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

M_Gargantua posted:

Just buy a new ER-X.

That's what I was thinking. Backup settings on the current one, restore onto the new one, ezpz

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Having a fun time finding out a ton of poo poo breaks if you use emojis as your wifi name.

• Fitbit software on my phone thinks there is no internet
  • Nintendo switch just shows a blank SSID so if there's more than 1 you get to guess
  • Roborock vacuum doesn't work with anything except simple alphabet and numbers
  • Scale pretends to connect and then never does

Also interesting finding out how many things don't support WEP3 yet.

Ubiquiti's latest network software update allows you to have multiple passwords for the same SSID and then each password goes to its own VLAN. That'll be nice to keep guests, IOT, and my own stuff all separate while reducing the overhead from several SSIDs.

At least now I have a good reason to update SSIDs and passwords on everything other than the emoji issues.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Just buy a new ER-X.

Azhais posted:

That's what I was thinking. Backup settings on the current one, restore onto the new one, ezpz

This is where I'm leaning. It serves me well. I was curious if anything had come out in the past 6 years that blew its socks off, seems like not really. The only outstanding question is IPv6 on it but in theory I can drive the stupid thing over to my spectrum connection and try.

Rakeris posted:

I think you could drop in an ER605, they are like $60. It's out of the omada line, but I don't think you need a controller or anything. Nothing fancy but gets the job done, not had it choke out or anything even while torrenting (Linux distros you pervs) and streaming etc. on a 1gb line.

E: I didn't read up thread, I dunno if you can do filtering/access control stuff without a controller, never hosed with it in standalone mode. Also doesn't do POE, would need a switch or injectors...

I have POE injectors already, though it would be elegant to ditch them. I need to return my tp-link deco m4r v2 this weekend otherwise target won't take it back. What a piece of junk. :v: But I do have the debug firmware loaded from tplink support, which won't get a ip6. I have no idea if that's spectrums fault or the mesh routers fault because it was hit or miss on the production firmware. Part of the problem is the debug firmware is a year older than the latest production firmware. :shrug: Their security posture is a joke though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your requirement was "It has to be an ER-X, because that works perfectly and I don't want to learn new things, I also want it to cost what an ER-X costs!"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm just going to report than so far I'm quite happy with an hAP ax2 as replacement for my dying ER-X, but I'm also not doing any kind of funny rules (so far). It took a bit of getting used to the very different interface Mikrotik offers, but after clicking around a bunch it feels more straightforward than how Ubiquity has their interface organized.

I also replaced my single UniFi AP with the AP function in the ax2, and it also seems to be just fine, throughput-wise.

editor
Feb 4, 2007
edge is a dead product line with no meaningful updates for years and mikrotik is too jank to earn points for being cots. opnsense on commodity x86 is what probably makes sense for most people

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

On the mybell.bell.ca site after you login, the username is also beside the internet tab and under "Settings" there is "Change modem access password".
I'm not sure if automatic but you can set the username and password on the modem webpage , under "Service health" and click on Internet.

Super weird talking to Bell all morning. Five different techs! One told me flat that they wouldn’t do this (let me connect with my own router), the second was about to configure mybell for me when the call dropped, and the third told me that I can’t have a mybell account.

The fourth got me a little farther and I reached someone who knew some background about why this might be an issue.

Then the last person I reached told me I may need a mobility account because the pppoe credentials they gave me just haven’t worked.

I have an xxxx@ns.aliant.net as the username they gave me. Everything everywhere else says I should have that b1xxxx number. But only like 35% of the people at Bell seem to know what a b1xxxx number is. I have no access to the bell app or anything. I need a phone anyway so I’ll check that out but it just sucks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Your requirement was "It has to be an ER-X, because that works perfectly and I don't want to learn new things, I also want it to cost what an ER-X costs!"

I mean - you're not wrong outside of the "learn new things" part. I do indeed want to point and click my way to internet. It's the exact level of network engineering I like to do at home. I also liked my tivo. I don't follow the (pro-)consumer router world, maybe Moore's law had produced another router that was a diamond in the rough?

The ER-X is (was?) a sweet little box for $55-65. The two closest suggestions were a unifi dream router at 3x the price, with that mostly being the AP6 - which I already have enough of for my needs. So do I get 3x the value? No. An extra AP is just that - extra.

The microtik things seemed promising. The hEX-POE looked like it might add a little value with its integral poe for $20ish more, neat, but then a closer look showed that it had forwarding rates that are a little close for comfort. I would need to add a switch to make sure that it's only getting frames for the default gateway, at which point the poe isn't useful because I wouldn't be powering my AP's off it. Most traffic off the ap's is going to be routed anyway, not switched.

https://mikrotik.com/product/l009uigs_rm

This one looked like it would fit the bill, but no (useful) poe so I keep the injectors, but I would get a few more ports at the router point which would be useful. Decent forwarding rates even when routed, point and click ui, I assume it works with ip6. Around twice the price of the ER-X.

I'm still pondering it, and I would be curious to hear folks' experience using it for ip6, spectrum appears to do DHCPv6 for address (/128, lol), then RA for routing. I would like a "private" internal ip6 network as well which this would NAT. (Since I don't get a /64 even. Womp womp. I would still need a default deny allow keep-state firewall, but hopefully the router has that through an assumption of "keeping internal networks useful."

All things considered, an ER-X seems like a good solution to my needs for no extra money. It does look like ip6 is a bit hit or miss on it though, which is unfortunate, but also the few minutes of googling I did were from articles several years old.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I went from an ER-X ($59) to a UXG-Pro ($500) so I am not a good judge of value. But I also religiously avoid anything that is cloud based or required external connectivity like the cheaper UDM. Its been a nice upgrade to pair with gigabit fiber and keeping the failover WAN.

The UXG-Pro is fantastic though so I regret nothing. I'd only go to a OPNsense product if I had access to 10gbps WAN, as the UXG-Pro tops out at about 7-8.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just buy another ER-X.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

The microtik things seemed promising. The hEX-POE looked like it might add a little value with its integral poe for $20ish more, neat, but then a closer look showed that it had forwarding rates that are a little close for comfort. I would need to add a switch to make sure that it's only getting frames for the default gateway, at which point the poe isn't useful because I wouldn't be powering my AP's off it. Most traffic off the ap's is going to be routed anyway, not switched.

All the hEX line (and just about every Mikrotik device in general) have a hardware switch chip, so if you configure it correctly, local layer 2 traffic will not hit the CPU and be switched at line rate. The charts give performance figures for software bridging as well but that is not the only way bridging can be configured. The RouterOS documentation is helpful for this, and you will have to read it to configure any Mikrotik device successfully.

Just make sure the CPU of the model you select has enough throughput to handle your internet traffic and it should be fine. Look at the block diagrams and you will see how the discrete parts of the router are connected.

H110Hawk posted:

I'm still pondering it, and I would be curious to hear folks' experience using it for ip6, spectrum appears to do DHCPv6 for address (/128, lol), then RA for routing. I would like a "private" internal ip6 network as well which this would NAT. (Since I don't get a /64 even. Womp womp. I would still need a default deny allow keep-state firewall, but hopefully the router has that through an assumption of "keeping internal networks useful."

Comcast/Xfinity does something similar for IPv6 - DHCPv6 for a /128 address on the WAN interface and DHCPv6 prefix delegation for a routed subnet to dynamically use on your LAN. RouterOS actually has a fairly competent and configurable DHCPv6 implementation and it works fine. It can also do prefix translation (NATv6) if you want to use a ULA prefix on your LAN.

H110Hawk posted:

All things considered, an ER-X seems like a good solution to my needs for no extra money. It does look like ip6 is a bit hit or miss on it though, which is unfortunate, but also the few minutes of googling I did were from articles several years old.

IPv6 works fine on EdgeOS too. I did not try prefix translation but successfully used a ULA and delegated prefix together on my LAN. Source address selection worked fine on the client machines to choose the global address for internet traffic and the ULA address for private LAN traffic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're just trying to get away from ubiquiti, the er605 is cheap, and I quite like the rest of the Omada line

I've got a pfsense router so I've not personally used it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

H110Hawk posted:

I mean - you're not wrong outside of the "learn new things" part. I do indeed want to point and click my way to internet. It's the exact level of network engineering I like to do at home. I also liked my tivo. I don't follow the (pro-)consumer router world, maybe Moore's law had produced another router that was a diamond in the rough?

The ER-X is (was?) a sweet little box for $55-65. The two closest suggestions were a unifi dream router at 3x the price, with that mostly being the AP6 - which I already have enough of for my needs. So do I get 3x the value? No. An extra AP is just that - extra.

https://mikrotik.com/product/l009uigs_rm

This one looked like it would fit the bill, but no (useful) poe so I keep the injectors, but I would get a few more ports at the router point which would be useful. Decent forwarding rates even when routed, point and click ui, I assume it works with ip6. Around twice the price of the ER-X.

Are you sure you're checking Spectrum v6 support properly?

they're delegating me a whole /56 and splitting it on VLANs works fine, so I'm not sure why you're seeing a /128

edit: the only thing i could think of is that if you're not actually requesting a /56, they give you a /128?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I have, all of a sudden, begin to have issues with my Internet.

It's very sporadic but once about every 10 minutes or so it seems to drop 100% of my packets for a couple seconds. This is just my guess.

Is there a program I can run that can perform some kind of long term Internet test to detect this problem? I plan on putting straight into my modem with a laptop and seeing if the problem persists so I can narrow it down to the router or my ISP

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Are you sure you're checking Spectrum v6 support properly?

Absolutely not! 0 chance. The tplink deco m4r v2 I bought at target was super clunky to configure. And my laptop "just worked" raw doggin the internet with a /128 it requested.

I manually made my laptop request a prefix delegation and got a /56. Set the options on the deco (a sloooowwww process) and after about 10 minutes it got a /56 delegated to it and it worked.

Initially the out of the box settings for the deco got it a /128 it couldn't actually do anything with - the router would hand out dhcpv6 ips and ra's to my clients and lol nothing worked. Spectrum being spectrum I just assumed they were that dumb. But also every troubleshooting session involved 20 minutes of carefully rebooting everything in the right order plus praying the configuration made it from the lovely deco app onto the devices. (Remember you have to reboot the modem every time you swap devices and sometimes the deco just... Didn't. And sometimes it took 3 minutes, sometimes 10.) Once I got the debug firmware on there it was much easier to troubleshoot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kwolok posted:

I have, all of a sudden, begin to have issues with my Internet.

It's very sporadic but once about every 10 minutes or so it seems to drop 100% of my packets for a couple seconds. This is just my guess.

Is there a program I can run that can perform some kind of long term Internet test to detect this problem? I plan on putting straight into my modem with a laptop and seeing if the problem persists so I can narrow it down to the router or my ISP

Just so a continuous ping to 8.8.8.8 or something. Your ISP doesn't care about any fancy pants tests you do because the packet loss would be from RF issues and they're gonna have to figure that out themselves.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Oh God, don't ping 8.8.8.8, it (yes I know it's any casted) regularly gets overloaded and drops non DNS traffic. (it'll drop DNS as well, but that's a different issue)

Always fun to debug routers set to monitor Google DNS servers and drop uplinks if they can't ping it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

unknown posted:

Oh God, don't ping 8.8.8.8, it (yes I know it's any casted) regularly gets overloaded and drops non DNS traffic. (it'll drop DNS as well, but that's a different issue)

Always fun to debug routers set to monitor Google DNS servers and drop uplinks if they can't ping it.

So you have a good recommended IP to ping?

Also I'm hardwired, not over WiFi, that's why I'm confused.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I can't really think of any better alternatives than other public DNS servers but as far as that goes Cloudflare is 1.1.1.1 and OpenDNS/Cisco is 208.67.220.220 + 208.67.222.222. I assume OpenDNS at least is less popular for random ping tests because it's harder to remember.

e: also, if you want something more slightly more advanced than running an infinite-count ping and logging it then smokeping could be relevant.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 21, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Eletriarnation posted:

I can't really think of any better alternatives than other public DNS servers but as far as that goes Cloudflare is 1.1.1.1 and OpenDNS/Cisco is 208.67.220.220 + 208.67.222.222. I assume OpenDNS at least is less popular for random ping tests because it's harder to remember.

e: also, if you want something more slightly more advanced than running an infinite-count ping and logging it then smokeping could be relevant.

I am on windows, and I saw smokeping in my other searches but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to set it up on a windows machine. Its documents feel very crusty-linux man and I am an idiot

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Go choose anything but googles servers. Opendns is probably fine in comparison. Understand that in one scenario if there's a node failure, that load is sent to another location which suddenly gets overloaded and filtered, so you'll then have loss but DNS will still work.

Smokeping is fun if you run a bunch of Linux (web) servers, (especially in diverse locations), otherwise don't bother. He barely updates it any more as he's getting paid by various companies for custom versions of the software.

nerox
May 20, 2001

e.pilot posted:

snag a dual/multi ethernet celeron box for nothing, slap opnsense on it, and forget about it for years

Is the HP620 plus still the best option for opsense?

I am looking for low power and small form factor.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nerox posted:

Is the HP620 plus still the best option for opsense?

I am looking for low power and small form factor.

not really, you can get brand new passive cooled multi-lan celeron boxes on aliexpress now for $100-150

I paid like $140 shipped for a quad 2.5gbe n5105 box with 8gb ram a year ago

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
and the n5105 boxes are only going to go down now that the alder lake-n boxes are on the market now.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone have thoughts on Unifi vs Aruba Instant On?

I moved to a larger house and I need more wifi coverage. I temporarily have a single UAP-AC-PRO plugged in and it can't really cover the whole house. I was looking at getting 2x U6-Pro APs, but found out about the Aruba ION line and now I'm considering 2x AP22.

I run the Unifi controller for the APs in a container and have generally found it to be trouble-free, although I have never used 99% of the functionality and I don't give a poo poo about janitoring my Wifi, I just want it to work. When I first got my Unifi APs they were a bit buggy but they got better over time. I'm not sure what to expect from the newer U6 line in this regard.

I don't use any Unifi gear other than access points; a VM running pfSense + a Cisco switch is the rest of my network. On Wifi we have a few laptops, phones, smart TVs running Plex clients, Xbox, and some audio gear. I want to have solid coverage as well as good throughput; I don''t want to deal with buffering and random wifi fuckery.

titaniumone fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 22, 2023

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

No experience with Aruba other than looking into them about a year ago, ended up going with Omada due to them being considerably cheaper at the time and Omada looked more simple to setup. (And you could get the hardware)

No issues since setting it up, been rock solid the UI is my only occasional annoyance. (Some settings are in different "settings" menus and I forget which ones are where) But I so rarely interact with it after initial setup I don't really mind.

If you have not, it might be worth checking it out.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I have both Unifi and AIO in business environments (I started with AIO but recently switched to Unifi for reasons beyond home networks.)

AIO APs hardware look to be an Aruba AP running a locked down OS and a different cover. The label on the AP even has the Aruba model number printed on it, not the AIO model. Aruba APs are pretty solid devices.

I don’t think you’ll find much of a difference between the two for just AP purposes though. Unifi should be slightly cheaper and has a better variety of devices, while AIO has the advantage of being able to do some content filtering and built in guest mode (the AP will provide DHCP).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
From a home user perspective, I have a UDM Pro, a poe switch, a U6 Pro, and two AC Pros. From a wifi point, it looks like the U6 Pro is handling almost all of the clients, about 58, and sometimes one roams to an AC Pro, usually the one I put in the outdoor playhouse. I decided to try using the camera side of it, and just put a 4tb drive in, and did the setup for the usb c powered camera and didn't have any fuckery wifi, camera, or HD wise. It's been really solid.

I have the U6 Pro on the ceiling of the stairway to the basement, so dead center of the house. Works great. It definitely seems to have better signal than the AC Pro it replaced.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Since OP is out of date, I thought I'd ask here to see if I need to upgrade something somewhere.

I'm on ATT Uverse 500 in an apartment. I have the ATT modem connected to my personal TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7). The apartment is kinda shaped like an L and watching a twitch stream in the bedroom on ipad is kinda spotty due to the distance to the router, the fact that the wireless goes through two walls, and maybe because the router is behind my OLED TV (dunno if this matters). I haven't looked at networking or wireless stuff in forever, but I have everything wired to the router that I can and my phones/tablets on 5g network but as you know 5g is more temperamental when there's a wall or two involved. I've already used my old android phone to figure out what channels are least saturated around the apartment and have that set up, but I was curious if there's an obvious upgrade I can make to get better signal. It's just the phones/tablets that struggle a little if in the bedroom like twitch streams pausing or downgrading to super blurry resolutions. Should I just get an access point and stick it on the corner wall at the bend? New router with better wireless features? Maybe a router setting I'm not taking advantage of?

here's a quick diagram of the apartment.
b: my bed
r: the router
code:
________
|    b |
|      |
|      |_________
|          r     |
|                |
|________________|

astral
Apr 26, 2004

To the surprise of (hopefully) nobody, Netgate has pulled their free pfsense+ for home lab:

https://old.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/17f2jfq/cant_order_home_or_lab_license/
https://old.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/17fvtvv/pfsense_plus_homelab_is_no_longer_available_as_a/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Moving the existing router is not an option? Is it impossible to extend the cables it's hooked up with?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

nielsm posted:

Moving the existing router is not an option? Is it impossible to extend the cables it's hooked up with?

I wasn't even sure moving it would help. I can move the router to maybe on top of a cabinet but not sure if that's gonna help since it's still gonna hit those two walls. I'd need to purchase a bunch of new cat5 cables to extend the length of the runs. The modem has to be hooked up behind the TV. It's an annoying problem because it's literally one location in the apartment that has this issue and it's literally my side of the bed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is my surprised face:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have some dumb questions. I have fiber internet, and when I got it, I was under the impression I needed a fiber specific router/modem. Once it was installed, it occurred to me that I may not have needed it. I’m assuming the little box that the fiber optic cable goes in and Ethernet comes out is the ONT, which is the fiver equivalent of a modem? Which goes to say I can use and router/AP connected to the ONT?

Related to this, when the internet says a Mikrotik hAP ax3 is difficult to set up, is that an exaggeration? When I was on cable (2019ish) I ran a ER-X/UAP setup and it wasn’t too difficult to muddle through

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, assuming the ont has an Ethernet plug you're good. That said, some fiber companies have login requirements (i.e CenturyLink and its pppoe) so you might need to either use the companies router or get your login and setup information from the ISP (I just asked the CenturyLink installer when he was running the fiber and he got me the info before he left)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Something something use Opnsense.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have some dumb questions. I have fiber internet, and when I got it, I was under the impression I needed a fiber specific router/modem. Once it was installed, it occurred to me that I may not have needed it. I’m assuming the little box that the fiber optic cable goes in and Ethernet comes out is the ONT, which is the fiver equivalent of a modem? Which goes to say I can use and router/AP connected to the ONT?

Related to this, when the internet says a Mikrotik hAP ax3 is difficult to set up, is that an exaggeration? When I was on cable (2019ish) I ran a ER-X/UAP setup and it wasn’t too difficult to muddle through

I just went through this upthread a bit. This

Azhais posted:

Yeah, assuming the ont has an Ethernet plug you're good. That said, some fiber companies have login requirements (i.e CenturyLink and its pppoe) so you might need to either use the companies router or get your login and setup information from the ISP (I just asked the CenturyLink installer when he was running the fiber and he got me the info before he left)

is all correct. Besides the ONT you can pretty much use any machine that's capable of doing what you want and meeting the ISP specific requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Thanks for the ONT help guys, that clears things up!

I’m still deciding whether I want a hAP ax3 or a UDR, any advice?