Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someone put up a full concert recording of Eras from the front row in Seattle and I was going to share it but looks like it has been scrubbed from YouTube. I guess they can copyright strike them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I don't know if any of y'all were drum and bass fans in the 2000s but this is a loving weird crossover lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMbiRjjTWj0

this poo poo is fire

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is The Kid Laroi getting better as a singer or is puberty just no longer wreaking havoc on his voice because this collab between him, Jungkook and Central Cee is kinda pleasant

even if it is becoming clear that he's becoming the new Justin Bieber. his new hair already makes him look more like him already

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It’s probably too early for this but here’s a fun new sad gay Christmas song (feat. MUNA)

https://youtu.be/zQvcDLUFaS8?si=4ZimsTTMGe8dEUDp

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ok, question

https://twitter.com/shadowtodd/status/1716542817059946749?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

A lot of people are answering Getaway Car for this, when did that happen? Is this Reputation rehabilitators taking another step into the light or what?

edit: I’m probably biased because of my love for SN but my first thoughts were Enchanted and Long Live

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember Getaway Car being very popular when it came out even among people who otherwise disliked Reputation

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's the best track on the album for sure

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Top 3 for me along with Don’t Blame Me and Call It What You Want

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Top 3 for me along with Don’t Blame Me and Call It What You Want

It’s these two and Delicate for me.

Also, a list this big is essentially pointless but it’s fun to go through and argue and look at what made it. respect to Carly Rae Jepsen

https://twitter.com/billboard/status/1714383661175357833?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

Also, a list this big is essentially pointless but it’s fun to go through and argue and look at what made it. respect to Carly Rae Jepsen

https://twitter.com/billboard/status/1714383661175357833?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" shouldn't even be on a list of the best Beatles songs. Even just compared to their other old stuff, it's mid.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Katy Perry way too high on the list

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: I’m probably biased because of my love for SN but my first thoughts were Enchanted and Long Live

Both really solid picks. I was thinking State Of Grace, but that was a promo single so if it's disqualified then I'll put Holy Ground in.

Also, Lover is pretty widely considered a bottom tier album but Death by a Thousand Cuts is amazing.

Edit: oh yeah the list. I'd really struggle to rank a lot of these so I have some sympathy, but there's a whole lot of ABBA songs that definitely deserve to be ranked somewhere above loving Hotline Bling, and not at least four hundred songs back.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Teenage Dream is still amazing, unfortunately

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmellive/status/1717000788755763210?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This song sounds really great live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofRYPBwalI

e: :spooky:

https://twitter.com/katewhiteshark/status/1717599441564139862

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 26, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

1989 (Taylor's Version) is out now.

Is the point of these (Taylor's Version) albums to sound barely different than the originals? I mean beyond the obvious that she gets to keep the masters of these re-recordings. I know she already re-recorded Fearless, Red and Speak Now but I wasn't as familiar with those albums as 1989, an album I've been listening to regularly for the past decade. So far in 1989 (TV), there's minor variations in these songs but they mostly sound like the originals. I think I prefer the originals, though. I'm so used to the originals' production that these minor differences are kinda bugging me haha

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well everytime she differs from the original it's worse, so better that she does as little as possible.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

1989 (Taylor's Version) is out now.

Is the point of these (Taylor's Version) albums to sound barely different than the originals? I mean beyond the obvious that she gets to keep the masters of these re-recordings. I know she already re-recorded Fearless, Red and Speak Now but I wasn't as familiar with those albums as 1989, an album I've been listening to regularly for the past decade. So far in 1989 (TV), there's minor variations in these songs but they mostly sound like the originals. I think I prefer the originals, though. I'm so used to the originals' production that these minor differences are kinda bugging me haha

Yeah, the point has always been to change as little as possible, just with hypothetically better mixing. Like we didn’t even know if she’d be changing the Better Than Revenge lyrics until the day the album dropped and aside from one bonus song that got a complete makeover (Girl at Home) that one lyric has been the biggest change. Obviously there are inherent changes when you’re 5-10 years older singing the songs both on a physical level and an emotional level but the idea is to make the songs as similar as possible so they replace the old versions entirely, especially for people who might use them in movies, ads or other royalty situations.

edit: up until this point I’ve been able to go into my playlists and just replace the old versions of songs with the new ones, there might be a few where if I had to say one is better the older would win out but it’s been very easy to just switch to the TVs

but man I think you’re gonna have to rip the old version of Style from my cold dead hands. They hosed with the synths too much and for whatever reason I just don’t like the way she sang it either? It’s not even a problem with the whole thing just this one song like they’re out to get me specifically.

Edit: what’s left of gay Twitter is with me on this one

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 27, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wow the drums are so loud in Blank Space

I have no qualms with this version of Style but I get it

Shake It Off is good except for the bridge being as cringe as ever

we’ve already had Wildest Dreams TV for a while right? it’s good

New Romantics is less good but I can’t really explain why

I don’t care about the rest of the songs on this album! 1989 always been one of my least favourite Taylors. Maybe when I listen to the whole thing + vault tracks later I will gain a new appreciation

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I agree with 1989 not being one of my favorites but aside from the songs that I already really didn’t like (Welcome to New York, Bad Blood) and the songs I already love/the big singles (Style, New Romantics, Blank Space, OOTW, Wildest Dreams, Shake It Off) everything else got a glow-up in my eyes. I’d forgotten how pretty some of the album tracks are.

The 1989 vault tracks might be my favorite set of vault tracks overall because the production feels very Midnights and the songs themselves are so clearly from the 1989 era, especially Is It Over Now? which feels like an OOTW written immediately after the breakup before all the anger had dissipated and Say Don’t Go which feels like a prototype of a few different album tracks, mostly All You Had To Do Was Stay. I think Slut!? is my favorite, which is funny because I sort of expected it to be more like Bad Blood or Shake It Off based purely on the title but it’s much sweeter than that

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

In no way expected this

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1717874790743048259?s=20

Kendrick came back to re record remix which will be on deluxe edition

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

In no way expected this

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1717874790743048259?s=20

Kendrick came back to re record remix which will be on deluxe edition

That’s my GOAT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah that rules

1989 TV is fab, feels like every song is as good as before if not better. The new Blank Space really pops imo. And the new tracks fit into the album seamlessly. A worthy version of her best album.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Listening to 1989 TV with Dolby Atmos on is quite a different experience from the rest of the re-releases. They really expanded the sound field compared to the others and it sounds more ethereal.

I actually am starting to think they mastered this version to be listened to with spatial audio on. Turning it off sounds completely different.

I’m not sure what to think yet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ok after reading this defector article I have a question for y’all that I hadn’t really thought of before:

https://twitter.com/defectormedia/status/1717940022005936598?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

How “From the Vault” are the From the Vault songs really? I remember thinking the line about the “gently caress the Patriarchy” keychain in the 10 minute ATW felt anachronistic when I first heard it, and people have pointed out that the hints she had given about the original demo don’t necessarily line up with the song that we got. people are also pointing out other places where lines and motifs pop up that would be used in later songs and writing styles and flourishes that she wouldn’t start using until later on in her career. Obviously the production is going to be tied to the moment the songs were released (this is why all the 1989 bonus tracks are of a vibe with Midnights) but are these really songs that got cut fully formed, is she going back through sessions and picking on words to expand on, or are these a writing exercise to try to get in the mindset of her younger selves?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It'd be surprising if she was just picking songs up and re-recording them wholesale without changes. They're probably old ideas that were at various stages of completeness and get dusted off, reworked, have some lyrics changed.

But at the same time you can see how some songs do fit anachronistically. I believe that "Mr. Perfectly Fine" actually existed in the Fearless era. She had a scrapped song idea that included the phrase "casually cruel", and then re-used that phrase when she actually put out All Too Well a few years later.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you don't think women were saying gently caress the patriarchy in 2010 then lmao

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

If you don't think women were saying gently caress the patriarchy in 2010 then lmao

Obviously women were saying it, it’s more that Taylor Swift wasn’t making songs or really saying anything that was poking fun at men who utilize tokens of solidarity like “gently caress the Patriarchy” keychains. That feels like 2022 Taylor, because 2010 was still firmly in the territory where many young female pop stars who were not explicitly political were still doing the whole “I believe women need to be more empowered but I don’t identify as a feminist” thing.

In fact going back to check, literally during the Red publicity tour someone asked her if she was a feminist and her answer was “I don’t really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life.”

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Obviously women were saying it, it’s more that Taylor Swift wasn’t making songs or really saying anything that was poking fun at men who utilize tokens of solidarity like “gently caress the Patriarchy” keychains. That feels like 2022 Taylor, because 2010 was still firmly in the territory where many young female pop stars who were not explicitly political were still doing the whole “I believe women need to be more empowered but I don’t identify as a feminist” thing.

In fact going back to check, literally during the Red publicity tour someone asked her if she was a feminist and her answer was “I don’t really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life.”

Lol. You’re Misreading the lyrics. It’s JG throwing the car keys on the ground and saying gently caress the patriarchy, while being a scumbag to her. He would totally have said that in 2010.

Also, I think the new “clean”’is worse because it feels less Imogen heap. (Her voice comes in later I think?). Otherwise new recordings are good as far as I’m concerned.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Number19 posted:

Listening to 1989 TV with Dolby Atmos on is quite a different experience from the rest of the re-releases. They really expanded the sound field compared to the others and it sounds more ethereal.

I actually am starting to think they mastered this version to be listened to with spatial audio on. Turning it off sounds completely different.

I’m not sure what to think yet.

This!

I hear differences in every track vs non TV version

Pretty stunning listen experience

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The reason you can tell gently caress The Patriarchy isn't a 2012 Taylor Swift line isn't the patriarchy bit, it's the word gently caress. She was practically squeaky clean at that point, you were lucky to get a drat or a hell. Her first "gently caress" wasn't until folklore.

My conspiracy theory is All Too Well (10 Minute Version) was an exaggeration that got out of hand, and most of those verses and lines were in the ideas stage at most until she got to the point where she was starting to think about vault tracks. As well as some odd word and idea choices, a lot of the added parts are more specific and pointed, as compared to the original which trades almost entirely in metaphor and emotional appeals. To me, it really feels like it's an older, more experienced, freer Taylor trying to get back into that headspace.

Anyway, 1989 TV chat. It's good! I'm finding it easier to get into than Fearless/Speak Now/Red, being closer to current taylor definitely helps make it seem less not-quite-right. I guess I should get an actual speaker system?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This!

I hear differences in every track vs non TV version

Pretty stunning listen experience
Stunning is right after a couple more listens. The only other recent pop release I listened to that highlights how much of a difference Atmos can make is the re-release of Lady Gaga's albums with Atmos. Those sound significantly different with spatial on, to the point where they also sound like completely different albums.

It's actually sort of refreshing to hear sound engineers creating a unique sound for the Atmos versions of albums. Many to this point still seemed to been mastered to mostly have the same overall sound. The bridge of Blank Space keep adding layers and layers of her voice from different positions in a way you probably couldn't do with stereo mixing. It's actually pretty cool. The more I listen to it the more I believe they primarily mastered it for spatial audio and then flattened it for non-spatial listeners.

Without spatial, it sounds like 1989 with a couple of tweaks. With spatial, it sounds like a how you'd hear beach pop in your dreams, if that even makes sense. I can totally see how a lot of people wouldn't like it, but I've always been bullish on spatial audio so I really like it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lol I can’t believe I heard that lyric wrong I imagined Jakey G waking around with a big “gently caress The Patriarchy” keychain attached to his Lexus keys that he’d flash at random Brooklyn hipster girls for cred

Deformed Church posted:

The reason you can tell gently caress The Patriarchy isn't a 2012 Taylor Swift line isn't the patriarchy bit, it's the word gently caress. She was practically squeaky clean at that point, you were lucky to get a drat or a hell. Her first "gently caress" wasn't until folklore.

This is true as far as releases with cursing but also part of the mythology surrounding the 10 minute version was that she had to cut it because she used a swear word, which people thought was funny at the time because of how clean her music was.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol I can’t believe I heard that lyric wrong I imagined Jakey G waking around with a big “gently caress The Patriarchy” keychain attached to his Lexus keys that he’d flash at random Brooklyn hipster girls for cred

I think this is right though. I thought it was the generally-accepted interpretation, too!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

No matter what, the point is that Jake Gyllenhaal was a chode

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

DC Murderverse posted:

but man I think you’re gonna have to rip the old version of Style from my cold dead hands. They hosed with the synths too much and for whatever reason I just don’t like the way she sang it either? It’s not even a problem with the whole thing just this one song like they’re out to get me specifically.

Edit: what’s left of gay Twitter is with me on this one

full agree, first track i played and my disappointment was immense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DC Murderverse posted:

No matter what, the point is that Jake Gyllenhaal was a chode

:hmmyes:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh, I forgot. Shake It Off: still not very good. This is why she thought she could do ME!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Part of me is still looking forward to the longest pop song title challenger that will be ME! Featuring Brandon Urie of Panic! At The Disco (Taylor's Version).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

njsykora posted:

Part of me is still looking forward to the longest pop song title challenger that will be ME! Featuring Brandon Urie of Panic! At The Disco (Taylor's Version).

She doesn't need to redo Lover :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I still think jg should drop all to well (Jake’s version) so we can have both sides of the story