Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
boring: trains

exciting and innovative: slowly evolving cars and car infrastructure through a series of incremental improvements until they become trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

npunt 31 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Think bigger.
"Driverless cars" are a technology that moves atoms without the need for people, a lot like how we move bits around today. There are innumerable benefits to moving the right atoms to the right places at the right time.
There are many form factors that moving atoms can take, only one of which looks like a car. The car is a good place to start for many reasons, including everyone needing transportation, existing infrastructure, existing culture, wasted time commuting, etc.
Now think about what comes after all "cars" are driverless. Their form factors change, roads change, infrastructure changes, proximity between people changes, life changes. Roads are like arteries that feed population centers, and if we can reconfigure them without worry about whether humans can keep up, we unlock whole new ways of living, almost like unlocking new organs with vastly different structures in the super-organism that is society.
The very story of life itself is evolving to move atoms around in new and more complex ways. This is one of the most fundamental and important techs we can invest in.
gently caress you, negroponte!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
ethbr1 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: EPA moves towards banning leaded aviation gas

"Do no harm at all costs" regulatory bodies need to be overhauled. E.g. NRC, FAA

IMHO, it'd be much better to have an explicitly adversarial and separately-funded dual-track system at such agencies, similar to how the justice system works.

E.g. FAA-Innovation (responsible only for their goal) makes their strongest case and presents research on why unleaded gas should be adopted ASAP. FAA-Safety (responsible only for their goal) makes their strongest case on why no change should be made.

All arguments and facts are published in public. Then higher-level decision makers arbitrate and make a call.

The root of all evil is that from a career perspective, "defer and take no action" is always safer for individuals in positions of regulatory authority. Worst case, something that's always been wrong explodes, and you blame it on the last person.

In the current blended safety+innovation system, it's too easy to obfuscate intentional inaction in endless "more study is needed" bullshit.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

we already have agencies responsible for trying to ram evil and destructive policies down the throats of the public; they're called lobbyists

we don't need dedicated redundant government branches with the same mission, for gently caress's sake

(the "evil faa" wouldn't be able to pay as much as existing lobbying groups anyway, starving them of "talent", so even libertarian morons should recognize that it would be an inefficient means of ruining the world)

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 27, 2023

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There has been exactly one (1) aviation fatality on a scheduled commercial airliner in the USA since the Colgan air crash in 2009. It was the lady that got partially shoved out of a hole in the fuselage that was left by a fan blade breaking off on some long-haul airliner a few years back. A tragic freak accident and not really something that could have been 100% prevented given our current understanding of materials science. Even then there's an argument to be made that maybe you don't want to have people sitting too close to the rotation plane of an airliner's N1 fans on account of uncontained engine failures like this one happening every now again. But yeah, one fatality, not even one crash. I'd say the modern-day FAA is doing pretty drat good, although given the way that US ATC keeps trying to make two airplanes occupy the same runway at the same time lately I feel like the next big accident is a case of when and not if.

The guy might maybe have an argument for general aviation, since there are Cessna 172s with a price tag north of half a million (this is for the aviation equivalent of a driver's ed Toyota Corolla) rolling off the production line today that still use some piece of poo poo piston engine designs from the 1970s that are only certified for 100 octane leaded gasoline. And these things fail constantly, often right after take-off, giving the occupants a (statistically) coin-flip chance of walking away from the resulting forced landing or going home in a wooden box. That's way too risky for my liking and the main reason why I haven't pursued a pilot's license even though I'd rather like to. Meanwhile there are a lot of cheaper and more advanced GA aircraft designs coming out of the EU, many of which use piston engines derived from modern-ish automotive diesels, and they even run on standard jet fuel instead of leaded gasoline. The euro companies are also developing some electric engine designs as well, but their endurance leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. Even then it's pretty cool to watch the demonstration videos where the pilot reduces power during taxi or final approach and the propeller just ... stops. And then immediately starts again when needed.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

npunt 31 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Think bigger.
"Driverless cars" are a technology that moves atoms without the need for people, a lot like how we move bits around today. There are innumerable benefits to moving the right atoms to the right places at the right time.
There are many form factors that moving atoms can take, only one of which looks like a car. The car is a good place to start for many reasons, including everyone needing transportation, existing infrastructure, existing culture, wasted time commuting, etc.
Now think about what comes after all "cars" are driverless. Their form factors change, roads change, infrastructure changes, proximity between people changes, life changes. Roads are like arteries that feed population centers, and if we can reconfigure them without worry about whether humans can keep up, we unlock whole new ways of living, almost like unlocking new organs with vastly different structures in the super-organism that is society.
The very story of life itself is evolving to move atoms around in new and more complex ways. This is one of the most fundamental and important techs we can invest in.

If this person is angling toward city-scale vacuum tube systems big enough to send like packages through then I'm on board.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Doom Mathematic posted:

If this person is angling toward city-scale vacuum tube systems big enough to send like packages through then I'm on board.

hmm, now that you've brought up this possibility, i changed my mind and i support hackernews.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sapozhnik posted:

There has been exactly one (1) aviation fatality on a scheduled commercial airliner in the USA since the Colgan air crash in 2009. It was the lady that got partially shoved out of a hole in the fuselage that was left by a fan blade breaking off on some long-haul airliner a few years back. A tragic freak accident and not really something that could have been 100% prevented given our current understanding of materials science. Even then there's an argument to be made that maybe you don't want to have people sitting too close to the rotation plane of an airliner's N1 fans on account of uncontained engine failures like this one happening every now again. But yeah, one fatality, not even one crash. I'd say the modern-day FAA is doing pretty drat good, although given the way that US ATC keeps trying to make two airplanes occupy the same runway at the same time lately I feel like the next big accident is a case of when and not if.

The guy might maybe have an argument for general aviation, since there are Cessna 172s with a price tag north of half a million (this is for the aviation equivalent of a driver's ed Toyota Corolla) rolling off the production line today that still use some piece of poo poo piston engine designs from the 1970s that are only certified for 100 octane leaded gasoline. And these things fail constantly, often right after take-off, giving the occupants a (statistically) coin-flip chance of walking away from the resulting forced landing or going home in a wooden box. That's way too risky for my liking and the main reason why I haven't pursued a pilot's license even though I'd rather like to. Meanwhile there are a lot of cheaper and more advanced GA aircraft designs coming out of the EU, many of which use piston engines derived from modern-ish automotive diesels, and they even run on standard jet fuel instead of leaded gasoline. The euro companies are also developing some electric engine designs as well, but their endurance leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. Even then it's pretty cool to watch the demonstration videos where the pilot reduces power during taxi or final approach and the propeller just ... stops. And then immediately starts again when needed.

the context of the post is that you could not legally use unleaded gas in your plane until 2021, which is an absurdly late year for that

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sillysaurusx 2 hours ago | parent | next [–]

Oh no, kids might see a butthole.

One sentiment that’s different from when I was a teen till now is that the youth today is so afraid of nameless authorities. No one wants to do anything even slightly controversial, lest their peers drag them for it.

I fondly remember my first butthole. It led to tubgirl and to that one video of the fella having his throat cut after being stepped on by a boot. I was about 11. I turned out ok, and I don’t think it’s survivorship bias.

Speaking as a father now, when Kess grows up a bit, I’ll likely give her unrestricted internet access. And I’ll bet you a signed dollar that she’ll turn out ok.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: I turned out ok

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

i, the person who thinks it's ok to show an 11 year old a butthole, tubgirl, and snuff films, turned out ok.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ProllyInfamous 1 hour ago | next [–]

I always carry a two dollar bill and fifty-cent piece, for when (e.g.) an entry-level store-clerk does something which most-other-clerks wouldn't resolve, I can say to them "Thank you for giving. a . poo poo."
As a blue-collar electrician (although retired), I want to hire anybody that seems to give even the tiniest poo poo. While working, it took me a decade to realize that "if you're the only person that 'gives a poo poo,' YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME."

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how does a “retired blue-collar electrician” end up on hn

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

ProllyInfamous 1 hour ago | next [–]

I always carry a two dollar bill and fifty-cent piece, for when (e.g.) an entry-level store-clerk does something which most-other-clerks wouldn't resolve, I can say to them "Thank you for giving. a . poo poo."
As a blue-collar electrician (although retired), I want to hire anybody that seems to give even the tiniest poo poo. While working, it took me a decade to realize that "if you're the only person that 'gives a poo poo,' YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME."

Of course he'd use two dollar bills, the preferred currency of obnoxious people.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

lobsterminator posted:

Of course he'd use two dollar bills, the preferred currency of obnoxious people.

i thank allah every day that i am not american, why are two-dollar bills obnoxious?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

$2 bills are extremely uncommon, to the point that many people have never seen one and assume they're fake. this impression is emphasized by the fact that they don't circulate much (and the easiest way to obtain them is directly from a mint or bank), so they tend to be unusually crisp and umblemished, like a counterfiet bill

imagine somebody handing you a "27 euro" bill that looks like it's made from a different material than everything in your wallet while insisting belligerently that it's legal tender

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

i thank allah every day that i am not american, why are two-dollar bills obnoxious?

We have a lot of denominations of currency like the $2 bill that aren't commonly used, and the various systems that people have to work with are only set up to deal with the common ones.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
they’re not in common circulation, more of a traditional thing that you can request if you want. generally they go straight back out of circulation if you spend one because merchants don’t give them as change. so it’s pretty common that people working registers don’t know about them and think they’re fake

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Internet Janitor posted:

$2 bills are extremely uncommon, to the point that many people have never seen one and assume they're fake. this impression is emphasized by the fact that they don't circulate much (and the easiest way to obtain them is directly from a mint or bank), so they tend to be unusually crisp and umblemished, like a counterfiet bill

imagine somebody handing you a "27 euro" bill that looks like it's made from a different material than everything in your wallet while insisting belligerently that it's legal tender

For further consternation, Apple founder Steve Wozniak buys them from the Mint in uncut sheets which he has a printer perforate. So again, imagine someone opening a pad of paper and tearing off a €27 bill that they insist is legal tender.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also tedious old nerds love to order a bunch and spend them with a "oh I'm so whimsical and clever" kind of attitude.

Or maybe that's just Woz idk

Edit: like people who know about $2 bill don't care if you spend one at their shop but $2 bill people are always expecting a reaction (otherwise why the gently caress would you go out of your way to acquire some) from the wage slave just ringing up their purchase.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 29, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rjmccall posted:

they’re not in common circulation, more of a traditional thing that you can request if you want. generally they go straight back out of circulation if you spend one because merchants don’t give them as change. so it’s pretty common that people working registers don’t know about them and think they’re fake

people have been arrested for trying to pay with $2 bills because the cashier called the cops, and there are dumbass cops who have never seen them either and think they're fake, so people have wound up detained until the secret service shows up and tells the cops they are ignorant morons

dollar coins are another nuisance as they are often given as change by vending machines, but there are places and coin mechanisms that won't take them. honestly, dollar coins make more sense than paper dollars now, because one dollar is an increasingly insignificant amount of money

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there are sort of natural reasons for $2 bills to have this status, you don’t want a ton of different denominations taking up space in a cash drawer, and 1/5/20/100 is a nice progression that lets you make change for anything reasonable without ever having to give more than four of the same bill back. $2 and $10 don’t really carry their weight in this system. people would think not having a $10 was weird, but it is used way less in practice — e.g. you might get one in change, but atms don’t generally give them out. (this is an extra layer of joke for the line in that lonely island song about “dropping hamiltons” (hamilton’s face is on the $10 bill): a baller throwing money around could reasonably have stacks of $20s or $100s, but having $10s would have to be a deliberate cheapness.) but $2s are just completely skipped over

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there was an atm at my college that would dispense 10s, it was weird

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I routinely got 10s from the local ATM for my bank because it’s a component of the kids’ allowances. now they just want the money in their accounts, of course

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've run into ATMs that give the option of dispensing tens but it's never the default.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there are a couple of machines around here that will only give you one ten per transaction. “sure, you can take out $50, but don’t get fancy!” I think the ten-compatible machines also tend to be attached to banks, up here at least

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, bank atms have more options, but my bank doesn’t seem to have any that do $10s — it’s either 20/100 or 5/20/50/100. but the atms you might see in bars or corner stores will generally just do $20s because it’s way simpler for whoever manages it to deal with

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

this reminds me of when i was in grad school, and my apartment complex had coin-operated washing machines but no change machine. i got into the really bizarre habit of adjusting what I bought at the grocery store- like adding or removing one extraneous purchase- to maximize the number of quarters i'd get back every time

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

photochemsyn 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

My conspiratorial (*completely evidence-free as far as I know) theory on hookup apps is that they're secretly backed by the major pharmaceutical manufacturers of various STD treatments.
The numbers are interesting: there are about 32,000 new HIV cases in the USA each year, and the per-month cost of ongoing anti-retroviral therapy is estimated at $1,800 - $4,500. This works out to a gross cost of ~ $0.7 billion to $1.7 billion - and it's cumulative, year after year. as HIV patients need this treatment for the rest of their lives. Given profit margins of 10-15% in pharma at least, this is a huge cash cow for the industry. (Also explains the reluctance to invest in seeking a permanent cure for the disease that would allow patients to terminate their therapy).

Now, would a profit-hungry industry deliberately encourage reckless sex practices in order to grow demand for their product, year after year? It might bear some investigation.

--

yes that must be it. there's no other reason people would get horny and want to use an app for finding people who wanna gently caress.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

people only watch porn because the tissue industry is secretly pulling the strings it all makes sense

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

post hole digger posted:

how does a “retired blue-collar electrician” end up on hn

guessing it's bitcoin:

ProllyInfamous 3 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Putting ads in hardware through HDMI

I have given two presentations to separate investment banks, on behalf of their wealthy clients knowing me, on some recent alternative investments (which I've been involved for 11 years).
Walking away from each of these experiences, my recollection always has been that one side of the table was massively gas-lighting the other... and I can't always remember which side of the table I sat.
My most-recent strategy has been to just STFU.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

rjmccall posted:

there's also some superstitions about them being unlucky that leads to them being defaced/destroyed. iirc it's that you have to tear off a corner and then burn it or something?

mrmcd posted:

photochemsyn 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

My conspiratorial (*completely evidence-free as far as I know) theory on hookup apps is that they're secretly backed by the major pharmaceutical manufacturers of various STD treatments.
The numbers are interesting: there are about 32,000 new HIV cases in the USA each year, and the per-month cost of ongoing anti-retroviral therapy is estimated at $1,800 - $4,500. This works out to a gross cost of ~ $0.7 billion to $1.7 billion - and it's cumulative, year after year. as HIV patients need this treatment for the rest of their lives. Given profit margins of 10-15% in pharma at least, this is a huge cash cow for the industry. (Also explains the reluctance to invest in seeking a permanent cure for the disease that would allow patients to terminate their therapy).

Now, would a profit-hungry industry deliberately encourage reckless sex practices in order to grow demand for their product, year after year? It might bear some investigation.

--

yes that must be it. there's no other reason people would get horny and want to use an app for finding people who wanna gently caress.

hn is full of soylent types, i'm not surprised neverfucks are there as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am a big fan of ATMs that give out 50s, but i dont see them often

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've seen $100 bills but I don't think I've ever seen a $50 bill.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i haven't had cash in my wallet since like 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

still feels weird that the largest bill is $100

tho it only came up when i sold a car for cash

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

still feels weird that the largest bill is $100

tho it only came up when i sold a car for cash

That's intentional. A million dollars in hundreds is like 22 lbs, and very few people need to move large amounts of money in cash for legitimate reasons. The rest of the world whined at the EU for years to get rid of the €500 note because it was basically used only for money laundering. If a million bucks only weighed 4 lbs instead it would be much easier to smuggle cash.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

mrmcd posted:

That's intentional. A million dollars in hundreds is like 22 lbs, and very few people need to move large amounts of money in cash for legitimate reasons. The rest of the world whined at the EU for years to get rid of the €500 note because it was basically used only for money laundering. If a million bucks only weighed 4 lbs instead it would be much easier to smuggle cash.

making large sums of illegal money extremely heavy will only lead to very muscular criminals

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

rjmccall posted:

(this is an extra layer of joke for the line in that lonely island song about “dropping hamiltons” (hamilton’s face is on the $10 bill): a baller throwing money around could reasonably have stacks of $20s or $100s, but having $10s would have to be a deliberate cheapness.)

I think your read is right, but there's an easter egg in there from a historical perspective: Hamilton was also on $1,000 bills until he was replaced by (for some godforsaken reason) Grover Cleveland.

also the $10,000 bill had some guy named Salmon P. Chase on it

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

clbrmbr 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Re: predatory landlords: if they are not breaking the law, are they really blameworthy? Seems like the previous landlord was naïve, or at least operating on an outdated worldview where local reputation mattered. (Hard to show up at the local Chamber or Elks or church when you are getting old folks kicked out of their homes).
How to solve… I’d like to find a model to apply in my HOA to slow or reverse the corporate takeover of my community…