Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

that wasn't an advertisement

ok so they put mcdonald’s on the bag for some other reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Grace Baiting posted:

say what you will about the tenets of italian futurism,

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I read a story about a girl who got a single piece of glitter in her eye and it got infected so badly that she lost the eye. that poo poo terrifies me :cry:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

or the circumsellions of the 4th century, who obeyed jesus's command to the disciples at gethsemane to put down their swords by forsaking bladed weapons, taking maces and provoking randoes on the road in order to be killed and achieve martyrdom

some ecumenical council in the empire had to officially tell people that yes you can gently caress because people thought Paul’s writings about his weird sexual hangups meant all Christians had to be celibate

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i read that too, few posts up :supaburn:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

some ecumenical council in the empire had to officially tell people that yes you can gently caress because people thought Paul’s writings about his weird sexual hangups meant all Christians had to be celibate

there's also all the various sects during plagues that were doing their best to get infected since it was "god's will" if someone died of the plague and they were guaranteed to go to heavens, until the church went "no it doesn't count if you deliberately try to get infected you stupid fucks now get back to work"

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah we ballparked 3-5 mpg but really you want to meter it by fun * operating hours. They are ridiculously inefficient at full plane cruise, but if you're ok with puttering around you can have a lot more fun before the tanks are empty. But a takeoff into planing for when somebody is on skis or a wakeboard, yeah, you just paid a dollar for thirty seconds

I was talking to a guy at the marina who caretook one of the medium-sized yachts. A trip from Seattle up to the San Juan islands for a weekend was burning something like $30k in gas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

the military uses it as chaff in airplane defense systems but both the military and glitter manufacturers go out of their way to deny it

chaff is sized to be a dipole at the frequencies used by missile guidance radars. aluminum fibers about an inch long.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your monitor

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

turn on your monitor

lol

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

turn on your monitor

:master:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
the guardian's tech newsletter had a great remark about what twitter has become:

quote:

Imagine a world where 4chan inexplicably became a major government comms channel, and you’re pretty close to where we are right now. Surely this will have no long-term consequences.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

seasteading is back baby!

nice location based "if u are a member of [nation] u may not enter this website or use this AI!!"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like the whole "let's start our own country, with blackjack and hookers... at sea" has been tried

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i think the oceans aren't warming up enough so lets dunk 100,000s of gpus in them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

good thing data centers don’t need fiber connections to other countries

and good thing neither the us nor european countries have navies

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I feel like the whole "let's start our own country, with blackjack and hookers... at sea" has been tried
yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
which nations specifically have signed up for "we will be responsible for protecting you from the US and EU while you commit crimes on the high seas"

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

all the bric nations i bet

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

microsoft did the submerged datacenter research project like a decade ago and the crypto dorks have been grifting on sealand but with computers for a quarter century so somebody is just dusting off the plans for another go

I guess we know where the orders for $5b NVIDIA GPUs from Chinese companies that were blocked by export control are going.

crypto figured out that they could get to do whatever they wanted cheaper by just going to texas

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

such a revolutionary idea to streamline littering our ocean with e-waste

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

good thing data centers don’t need fiber connections to other countries

and good thing neither the us nor european countries have navies

also that solar panels can generate sufficient power, though I bet there is a note on the picture saying "power also sourced from geothermal vents*

*post release enhancement

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also that solar panels can generate sufficient power, though I bet there is a note on the picture saying "power also sourced from geothermal vents*

*post release enhancement

i was about to say lol at thinking that's all the solar panels you need

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also i assume "kinetic risk management" means bullets

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol great idea

https://twitter.com/__picaro8/status/1719318748480590150

make sure you get split in half by a supertanker the first time you encounter a mild fog

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

lol great idea

make sure you get split in half by a supertanker the first time you encounter a mild fog

don't worry I'm sure there's plenty of permanently calm seas within range of a port not choked with commercial shipping, the ocean is huge man

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

lol great idea

blockchain fixes this!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i think the oceans aren't warming up enough so lets dunk 100,000s of gpus in them

'general ai is a boil-the-ocean problem'

'sure!'

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Shame Boy posted:

the solar panels run the LED lighting so you can see what you're doing when you refill the gigantic bunker-oil fuel tank

mystes
May 31, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

'general ai is a boil-the-ocean problem'

'sure!'
lol

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Shame Boy posted:

Just burning ship oil for months and months for power until the green energy is online.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Manzoon posted:

Just burning ship oil for months and months for power until the green energy is online.

this is good because it incentivizes the creation of green energy on the high seas, right?

just like stabbing people in the ER is good because it incentivizes donations of donor blood

i am very intelligent

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
one can love the idea of offshore seafaring compute platforms and also love watching cryptobros fail over and over at building and maintaining them.

It's like space x: either we get cool rockets which is fun as a nerd, or we get to laugh at elon musk when those same rockets (frequently) blow up, which is fun as a hater.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
for me the key difference is that spacex is a genuinely innovative company owned by an rear end in a top hat whose products have the potential for real benefit to society and space exploration, whereas the ai barges can do nothing but pollute, generate spam, and facilitate crime

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

can we get a home version of the concept? a pc case that uses your toilet tank for water cooling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Clark Nova posted:

can we get a home version of the concept? a pc case that uses your toilet tank for water cooling

from your posting it sounds like you’ve got this setup already

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

4lokos basilisk posted:

this is good because it incentivizes the creation of green energy on the high seas, right?

just like stabbing people in the ER is good because it incentivizes donations of donor blood

i am very intelligent

We must not forget that bitcoins are a store of power, just like a battery.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pythagoras a trois posted:

one can love the idea of offshore seafaring compute platforms

nah its kind of useless bullshit and i am of the opinion that a key concept of sustainable life on planet earth is that humans do not have to *be* in all corners of it. like just let nature have its room to exist as well without any man made infrastructure be it temporary or permanent

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also the only reason for seasteading is to facilitate various forms of ultracrime, humans have lived on water for thousands of years just not 12+ miles from land because the ocean does not gently caress around and fresh water is a good thing for humans to remain alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

4lokos basilisk posted:

nah its kind of useless bullshit and i am of the opinion that a key concept of sustainable life on planet earth is that humans do not have to *be* in all corners of it. like just let nature have its room to exist as well without any man made infrastructure be it temporary or permanent

"running out of space" is not realistically among any immediate ecological concerns though. like the oceans will be boiling from the effort before an appreciable fraction are covered by infrastructure.

which is not really an argument in any particular direction, just a matter of framing