Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

shackleford posted:

somehow i've ended up on this website

i love a cranky sales engineer

i have a plan to make every job cheaper, faster, and easier to install

the secret ingredient… is negligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
get rid of cars, ensure there's some green space between the high-density apartment blocks, put storefronts on the ground floor, and a lot of the rest can work itself out naturally from there

also get rid of cars, get rid of cars, and be sure to get rid of cars

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you had me at get rid of cars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Internet Janitor posted:

get rid of cars, ensure there's some green space between the high-density apartment blocks, put storefronts on the ground floor, and a lot of the rest can work itself out naturally from there

also get rid of cars, get rid of cars, and be sure to get rid of cars

if you know your 50 story soulless apartment blocks they should have at least a 3 story mall in the lower levels and the rent in them is super cheap so they don't sit empty forever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rip to a real one [real good at converting money into hot air]

quote:

Oct 31 (Reuters) - WeWork (WE.N) plans to file for bankruptcy as early as next week, a source familiar with the matter said on Tuesday, as the SoftBank Group-backed company struggles with a massive debt pile and hefty losses.

Shares of the flexible workspace provider fell 32% in extended trading after the Wall Street Journal first reported the news. They have fallen roughly 96% this year.

New York-based WeWork is considering filing a Chapter 11 petition in New Jersey, the WSJ reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

WeWork declined to comment.

Earlier on Tuesday, WeWork said it had entered into an agreement with creditors for temporary postponement of payments for some of its debt, with the grace period nearing an end.

The company had net long-term debt of $2.9 billion as of June end and more than $13 billion in long-term leases, at a time when rising borrowing costs are hurting the commercial real estate sector.

WeWork's filing for bankruptcy would mark a stunning reversal of fortune for the company that was privately valued at $47 billion in 2019 and a black spot for investor SoftBank that sunk billions.

The company has been in turmoil ever since its plans to go public in 2019 imploded following investors' skepticism over its business model of taking long-term leases and renting them for the short term and worries over its hefty losses.

WeWork's woes did not abate in subsequent years. It finally managed to go public in 2021 at a much-reduced valuation. Its major backer, Japanese conglomerate SoftBank, sunk tens of billions to prop up the startup, but the company has continued to lose money.

WeWork raised "substantial doubt" about its ability to continue operations in August, with numerous top executives, including CEO Sandeep Mathrani, departing this year.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I can't believe We didn't get it to Work.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Remembering all those videos of tech freaks living out of we work spaces and wearing branded we work poo poo.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

expect to see another round of BTO articles as REITs and other CRE firms start panicking as their wework leases get rolled up

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the absolute height of the wework farthuffing (remember when they were going to reinvent schools?!?) was imho probably the peak of this iteration of the tech bubble

it was such transparent bullshit - the same business model as, say, regus but worth 100x more because...you could control the office thermostat with an app? oh and they dont actually own most of their own real estate, dont forget that detail

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

it was such transparent bullshit - the same business model as, say, regus but worth 100x more because...you could control the office thermostat with an app? oh and they dont actually own most of their own real estate, dont forget that detail

right, it was actually owned by the CEO

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

right, it was actually owned by the CEO
the part where he registered the rights to the name/logo to himself personally and then licensed them to the company for $zillion was my favorite bit

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

People just don't want to WeWork anymore

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I went to one recently to meet some software co. And it was pretty bad. Apart from free (mediocre) beer taps the actual meeting areas etc. Sucked.

it was kind of like one of those abandoned offices that gets cheaply parcelled up and rented out by a shady landlord waiting to demolish it, which I guess is exactly what it is

also when I did have a beer with one of them these two guys started playing ping pong and kept firing the balls round the place at people which was annoying as hell

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i am only talking about the cities i have personally lived in while never having owned a personal vehicle beyond a bicycle

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah I would not hold Paris up as a model lol

if you have any sort of mobility issue their metro stations are basically "get hosed", I carried a pram up and down so many steps.

there was one where they'd gone to the effort of putting in an escalator but then it immediately went to another set of steps, sike!

i mean paris metro sucks to navigate with a stroller i agree. thats why we walk or take the bus or a taxi.

anyway i would say that the point of dense high qol cities is precisely that you do not need to take any form of motorized transportation to get to your everyday places like work or shops or doctors or parks or restaurants. this is undoubtedly a thing that exists in paris proper at a level of deece 10 story soulless apartment buildings, so i am sure in the utopian future we could also build metro stations with elevators and escalators (like in tokyo)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i started at current job 5 years ago they used a 4 desk glassbox at a wework for the rare days we went in. It was hilariously awful, but those of us still around still joke about it. so it was sort of a bonding thing.

i felt very uncomfortable there

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

qirex posted:

rip to a real one [real good at converting money into hot air]

truly a stunning reversal of fortune

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Manzoon posted:

Remembering all those videos of tech freaks living out of we work spaces and wearing branded we work poo poo.

that video of some cult-of-wework freak, who was making a dating site for hedge fund managers or something like that, whose dead-eyed wife was clearly sick of it all and saying "well, when we have kids, this is going to stop, right?"

also wework installing all kinds of expensive equipment and hiring analysts to determine fascinating things like "people drink coffee in the morning" and "people like to sit by windows"

e: and the loony ex-ceo's even loonier wife who would demand that people be fired because she didn't like their aura

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 1, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

e: and the loony ex-ceo's even loonier wife who would demand that people be fired because she didn't like their aura

didn't she also pressure a bunch of employees into sex and/or punish them if they turned her down?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The_Franz posted:

also wework installing all kinds of expensive equipment and hiring analysts to determine fascinating things like "people drink coffee in the morning" and "people like to sit by windows"
how many "engineers" did wework have on the payroll at the height of their power? 2000? 5000? i know they needed to be there to justify weworks valuation as a breakthrough worldchanging tech company and not a boring real-estate subleasing firm but what exactly did they do all day?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FMguru posted:

how many "engineers" did wework have on the payroll at the height of their power? 2000? 5000? i know they needed to be there to justify weworks valuation as a breakthrough worldchanging tech company and not a boring real-estate subleasing firm but what exactly did they do all day?

look good for Son's yearly visit

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

the story of wework is also the story of 1 crazy dude grifting a shitton of money out of a crazy tech vc

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

dont hate the game, hate the player

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

The_Franz posted:

that video of some cult-of-wework freak, who was making a dating site for hedge fund managers or something like that, whose dead-eyed wife was clearly sick of it all and saying "well, when we have kids, this is going to stop, right?"

That was exactly the video I was thinking of haha.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

koolkal posted:

dont hate the game, hate the player

hate the player and the game

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

The_Franz posted:

qirex posted:

didn't she also pressure a bunch of employees into sex and/or punish them if they turned her down?

excuse you, that is Rebekah Victoria Neumann (née Paltrow) wife of founder and CEO Adam Neumann and first cousin to Gwyneth Paltrow...

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Manzoon posted:

That was exactly the video I was thinking of haha.

here it is, I was hate-watching it the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QCySNv7cxA

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

this dude does not gently caress

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

:hmmyes:

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

SO DEMANDING posted:

(Insane grin) "Sunday night group dinner at welive and Monday morning breakfast at wework, it never ends."

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://yospos.ing

https://fortune.com/2023/11/01/google-rolls-out-ing-web-domains/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yospost.ing surely

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we had a suite at one of the weworks in downtown Vancouver for a while. it was really nicely finished inside. nice wood flooring and incandescent lighting. the washrooms had music playing inside which I thought was a nice touch. sometimes the elevator would stop on a non-wework floor and the door would open to reveal drab grey walls and cheap fluorescent lighting and I’d be like “eeewwww”

it sucked not having our own kitchen with snacks and poo poo tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

google also is rolling out .meme domains which seems like a great way to ensure your sad corporate attempt at a meme never gets off the ground or dies instantly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I used to work in a wework and I swear the bathroom was intentionally designed to torment neurodivergents

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

drat, the current title is so good, too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

I used to work in a wework and I swear the bathroom was intentionally designed to torment neurodivergents

what the gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

lmao that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

google also is rolling out .meme domains which seems like a great way to ensure your sad corporate attempt at a meme never gets off the ground or dies instantly

time to register muskmasterof.meme, set the price at $10 million, and retire