Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s a Grand Prix. It’s disposable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am assuming that the OP likes and wants to keep their car, but yeah fundamentally this is going in the "not economical to repair" category. Assuming that you want to keep the car for sentimental reasons:

First thing I'd do is actually talk to the body shop. You'd hate to show up with a random panel and have them tell you to gently caress off. Take the car in, tell them what you want them to do, and ask them what they can do el cheapo. Don't go to an actual good body shop, though. You want the full panel beater using a tree as a frame rack experience. If they have a bunch of lovely junked cars or a salvage yard themselves, you're in business.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I guess I mean to say: I’ve owned a Grand Prix. It had a 3800. The engine wasn’t what killed it (unlike most of my 4 other 3800s it was the transmission!), but usually the body is what goes. If the body is going, the unibody and subframe are rotting. It’s gonna look janky if you weld in a RQP. But still, the unibody and subframe are already shot.

Yours might be different, but if not, just accept that the car has served you well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So I finally had to hand my old lithium jumpstarter to the recyclers, it was swelling badly the last time I pulled it out.

Antigravity Batteries was the brand, and it lasted me a good 8 years, according to the reciept. Is there a new high water mark that's cheaper/better/more reliable? Am inclined to give them some more money if they're not like, undercover shitheads.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I bought a (basically) brand new car in early October. I've started getting notices from "Vehicle Services" and "Activation Services" about updating my vehicle service contract. They have the correct information about the car and they are very adamant that I have to contact them soon to "update the factory warranty" or I will be responsible for all repairs on the car. I was under the impression the factory warranty is in place no matter what. I shouldn't have to do anything? Are they just trying to sell me an extended warranty?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Travic posted:

So I bought a (basically) brand new car in early October. I've started getting notices from "Vehicle Services" and "Activation Services" about updating my vehicle service contract. They have the correct information about the car and they are very adamant that I have to contact them soon to "update the factory warranty" or I will be responsible for all repairs on the car. I was under the impression the factory warranty is in place no matter what. I shouldn't have to do anything? Are they just trying to sell me an extended warranty?

It’s a scam OP

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s a scam OP

Ok cool. It seemed awful fishy. "This may be the last time we contact you." Followed by three more notices. I was just worried there was some legitimate legwork I hadn't done for the factory warranty, but it follows the car automatically right? Until it runs out I mean.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Travic posted:

Ok cool. It seemed awful fishy. "This may be the last time we contact you." Followed by three more notices. I was just worried there was some legitimate legwork I hadn't done for the factory warranty, but it follows the car automatically right? Until it runs out I mean.

It's absolute bollocks and normally if you look closely it will have something that gives away it's a third party thing trying to take money.

Your manufacturer will know the warranty on the car. It does follow it till it runs out, or if you sell it and for some reason the warranty doesn't go to the next owner.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

XYZAB posted:

I'm thinking about taking a cordless grinder and/or sawzall to a pick-n-pull to carve a rust free rear quarter panel out of a donor 04-08 Grand Prix, as this is the last winter I think I can let mine rust to poo poo before it gets beyond hope. Are there any videos anyone could recommend about the dos and do nots about this kind of thing? Ideally I'd want to take the panel that I can-opener off of a donor to a body shop and let them do their thing with it, thinking that by having this panel already I'll be saving some amount of money. Or is that just an unnecessary step for what will be a stupid expensive job that they can take care of regardless, and should I even bother going through the hassle?

Don't have any videos, but I restored a '65 Econoline pick-up by sectioning parts from five Econoline vans in a yard. Made a thread, have some photos, but no video.

I used Ridgid cordless tools: a 3" rotary cutter and a one-handed sawzall. The rotary was very good for non-deforming precision cuts in body skin, and the sawzall, especially with a cast-iron cutting blade, would go straight through underlying struts & frames no problem.

Depending on what sections you are after, you may want to research what's behind the area sheetmetal to inform you on good cut angles in order to avoid, say, cutting through a power-window motor, or hitting glass. In my case there were odd frame underpinnings I was unaware of that made a couple of the sections more difficult to remove than they could've been.

Make sure you are wearing proper eye & body protection and, if you're cutting through framing members, determine if there's a pinch or collapse risk. You get trapped in the donor, they may or may not come looking for you, and some yards are huge.

e: check websites that sell body parts for what a quarter-panel section looks like - where it's cut. That should give you the weld sites; then cut a little beyond that.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 31, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

Don't have any videos, but I restored a '65 Econoline pick-up by sectioning parts from five Econoline vans in a yard. Made a thread, have some photos, but no video.

I used Ridgid cordless tools: a 3" rotary cutter and a one-handed sawzall. The rotary was very good for non-deforming precision cuts in body skin, and the sawzall, especially with a cast-iron cutting blade, would go straight through underlying struts & frames no problem.

Depending on what sections you are after, you may want to research what's behind the area sheetmetal to inform you on good cut angles in order to avoid, say, cutting through a power-window motor, or hitting glass. In my case there were odd frame underpinnings I was unaware of that made a couple of the sections more difficult to remove than they could've been.

Make sure you are wearing proper eye & body protection and, if you're cutting through framing members, determine if there's a pinch or collapse risk. You get trapped in the donor, they may or may not come looking for you, and some yards are huge.

e: check websites that sell body parts for what a quarter-panel section looks like - where it's cut. That should give you the weld sites; then cut a little beyond that.

Also bring spare blades.

Lots of them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

KakerMix posted:

It's absolute bollocks and normally if you look closely it will have something that gives away it's a third party thing trying to take money.

Your manufacturer will know the warranty on the car. It does follow it till it runs out, or if you sell it and for some reason the warranty doesn't go to the next owner.

Ok. Thanks for the tips everyone.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Pick n Pull lets you cut n grind, too?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Some do; some don't. Have to ask.

The yard I went to is a family business in the middle of the Jersey Pine Barrens; they didn't care. There are a couple other pick-n-pulls between there & my house, but have never tried cutting.

Machine cutting can be a fire hazard, so some outfits could ban it.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Also bring spare blades.

Lots of them.

Oh, yes. Especially the rotary blades.

And batteries! At least 4K, preferably 6K. I had eight batteries with me; six were 2Ks and they lasted like 20-seconds on the sawzall. The 4Ks lasted quite a bit longer; even so, I had to cut one expedition short when I exhausted all eight in an hour.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 31, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Double post!

Two shots from the bed-cutting, that took 2-trips because of battery exhaustion:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 31, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

What is this part called? Not the handle but the nub next to the handle that holds the handle in place?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What’s the year, make, and model? That’ll help immensely in getting you the right term and part.

FWIW, it’s probably something you’d have to get at a dealership if you’re looking for a replacement. But I’m not sure what your goal is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

What is this part called? Not the handle but the nub next to the handle that holds the handle in place?

Usually just door handle cover. Just google image search "<your model here> external door handle parts diagram" and it should give you an exploded diagram with part numbers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
snip

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nitsuga posted:

What’s the year, make, and model? That’ll help immensely in getting you the right term and part.

FWIW, it’s probably something you’d have to get at a dealership if you’re looking for a replacement. But I’m not sure what your goal is.

2006 Hyundai Sonata

My friend is getting a new car. He found out that California has a new $1500 credit if you junk a car that is failing smog checks and replace it with a hybrid or electrical. All it has to do is start and get to the junkyard on its own power, so he’s offering me parts

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

XYZAB posted:

I'm thinking about taking a cordless grinder and/or sawzall to a pick-n-pull to carve a rust free rear quarter panel out of a donor 04-08 Grand Prix

My local pick-n-pull does not allow these kind of tools

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Chunjee posted:

My local pick-n-pull does not allow these kind of tools

its possible too that they will stop any yahoo from coming in with power tools and hacking poo poo up, while still allowing you to bring em in after you clearly specify what you're taking from what car. worth a shot, anyway

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Rustproofing question. I have been getting Krown rustproofing on my vehicle annually without issue and got a new vehicle (2023 Sienna) that will be getting its first Krown treatment this week. I’ve been hearing on other forums that Krown rustproofing has been causing rubber fittings and gaskets on newer vehicles to swell and degrade. I called a local Krown business and they confirmed that it is an issue with certain newer vehicles. Has something to do with the manufacturers cheaping out on their rubber components (newer vehicles use components with less real rubber). Which is why Krown now pre-treats with silicone first, then apply their Krown rustproofing.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

melon cat posted:

Rustproofing question. I have been getting Krown rustproofing on my vehicle annually without issue and got a new vehicle (2023 Sienna) that will be getting its first Krown treatment this week. I’ve been hearing on other forums that Krown rustproofing has been causing rubber fittings and gaskets on newer vehicles to swell and degrade. I called a local Krown business and they confirmed that it is an issue with certain newer vehicles. Has something to do with the manufacturers cheaping out on their rubber components (newer vehicles use components with less real rubber). Which is why Krown now pre-treats with silicone first, then apply their Krown rustproofing.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

It swelled a little bit on my 09 Corolla. A guy I used to work with really bitched about it on his '20 civic. Never got to see the extent of the swelling on his car .

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

It swelled a little bit on my 09 Corolla. A guy I used to work with really bitched about it on his '20 civic. Never got to see the extent of the swelling on his car .

Yeah that's what I was afraid of hearing. On one hand I am glad that the local Krown owner told me up front that it has been an issue with newer vehicles and told me the steps he takes to reduce the chance of the issue occurring. On the other hand the swelling, from the pics I've seen, can get pretty bad. But then again I don't know what options exist for rustproofing nowadays. And I don't know how different the expensive one that I opted NOT to get at the Toyota dealership (for $1200) is.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 1, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

melon cat posted:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of hearing. On one hand I am glad that the local Krown owner told me up front that it has been an issue with newer vehicles and told me the steps he takes to reduce the chance of the issue occurring. On the other hand the swelling, from the pics I've seen, can get pretty bad. But then again I don't know what options exist for rustproofing nowadays. And I don't know how different the expensive one that I opted NOT to get at the Toyota dealership (for $1200) is.

I;ve gotten my Corolla krowned for the last several years, but my truck I've gotten done with this stuff:
https://corrosionfree.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImtnjweyjggMVGAKtBh1qVgNFEAAYASAAEgJL4vD_BwE

There should be a few places in your city that offer it. They might be busy though. Tis the season.
I wasn't too impressed with the job krown did on the Corolla last year, they certainly applied the product, but the job of washing off the excess was subpar. I had to spray down my brake rotors a couple times with brake cleaner and my gas brake and clutch pedal. There are spots in the engine compartment that still have puddles etc...

Your results will vary I'm sure, but it was pretty annoying leaving the place with my foot slipping off the brake pedal, while my brakes were also underperforming due to the excess product.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Maybe the right thread for this but I'm not sure. I am trying to give my 16 year old daughter my old car (2014 Dodge Dart). I live in Texas. My daughter lives in Louisiana. The current title has my dad's name and my name on it. The car is registered in Texas where I live. My questions is... uh... how do I do this without screwing something up legally or forgetting something?

I assume the title can stay under my name and the car then just needs to be registered in Louisiana?
Do I need to transfer the title to someone?
Do I need to notify Texas that I'm giving my car to my kid via some form?
Do I need to notify Louisiana that I'm giving my car to my kid via some form?
Does something need to happen to the title?
If mom pays the insurance bill, does she need ownership of the car via title?

The LA DMV site is: https://www.expresslane.org/vehicles/ but I'm pretty lost. Help me car whisperers! She spent all summer driving it around Dallas with me and would love to get this knocked out as a christmas present if possible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is pretty universal: the legal owner should sign over the title to the new legal owner, this is typically accompanied by a bill of sale but in this case it's a gift. The new legal owner should take that signed over title to their own state's DMV and register the vehicle. If it was a gift they may pay a tax based on estimated value whereas if it's a sale they may pay a tax based on actual sale amount, which could perhaps be a whole lot lower, which is why often parents "sell" the car to their kid or whatever. I have not googled louisiana used vehicle sale/registration taxes, you could do that if you wanted.

Legally the title should not "stay under your name" unless you are retaining ownership of the car.

When your daughter registers the car Texas will get whatever info they need directly from Louisiana.

Anyone can pay the insurance but the "named insured" needs to be your daughter, and the insurance is likely to go up a very whole lot because of your daughter's age. If you gently caress around and don't name your daughter as insured, in the event she has an accident you will have to plausibly claim that it's your car (or whoever's) and you only temporarily loaned it to this person and definitely aren't letting her drive it all the time. If your daughter lived with you it's likely that when she got her license you'd have to sign documents from your insurance company explicitly excluding her from the policy, or, not sign those documents and see your insurance go up a very whole lot. In this case what with her not living with you it's a little more complicated but the important thing here is that unless you are comfortable with your daughter/whoever committing insurance fraud, she should be the named insured for a car that is now hers.

May I assume your daughter lives with her mom? Probably her mom needs to talk to her insurance co. and make it clear which cars her daughter will be driving and which she will not be allowed to drive. Maybe she should figure that poo poo out herself.

e. your daughter may have to also fill out an affidavit of gift or similar doc. Read what it says on your texas title and she should read what louisiana says about a gifted vehicle.

e. yes
https://www.carregistration.com/blog/louisiana-omv-title-transfer-guide/
Read the sections titled "Can I Gift a Car to a Family Member?" and "Transferring a Vehicle Title When You Have an Out-of-State Title". You will need to notarize your signing over of the title, and put the correct odometer reading on it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 2, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Here's some Louisiana-specific guidance:
https://www.nola.com/news/traffic/h...ba7570a4dc.html

You and your father should sell the car to your daughter by signing the back of the title. There might be some slip of paper for you to detatch and mail to the Texas DMV. Then your daughter goes to the OMV in her parish and says she'd like to transfer a car from out of state. It looks like she needs the old title, her driver's license, and whatever they're going to charge in taxes and fees.

Definitely work out insurance as well, but I don't think that's a prerequisite for getting a car titled in Louisiana (it is in some states).

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If I remain the legal owner of the vehicle, would I just need to have the title transferred to Louisiana under my own name then? Even if I'm not a legal resident there? It sounds like the title HAS to be in Louisiana for them to register and drive in Louisiana. Or could I just register the car under my name in Louisiana and let her drive it as long as insurance is handled?

I guess I should have clarified about "give the car to kid". I'm not trying to give ownership over if I don't have to since that feels like a whole lot of unnecessary paperwork. At the end of the day, I want my kiddo to drive the car in LA. If she was in TX, I would just add her to insurance and call it a day. But the whole different state stuff is confusing.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 2, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh, yeah, I think as long as she's on the insurance everything should be fine. People let their kids drive their cars at college out of state all the time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
AFAIK most states require the vehicle to be registered in the name of the owner who must also be a resident of the state, so if you want the car to have LA plates it won't be able to remain in your name.

There are a few states that don't have this requirement but I know at least one of them (IIRC Delaware) recently cracked down on out of state registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Honestly I've had good luck emailing the dmv when I have any strange questions. Might be better or worse depending on state and stuff but then you have an written response and they should tell you what needs to be done.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Thanks all for the help. I'll do some more digging tonight through all the forms and documentation I can find online.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Honestly I've had good luck emailing the dmv when I have any strange questions. Might be better or worse depending on state and stuff but then you have an written response and they should tell you what needs to be done.

This honestly isn't a bad idea. Thanks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

poemdexter posted:

(2014 Dodge Dart).

Someone call cps

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

poemdexter posted:

If I remain the legal owner of the vehicle, would I just need to have the title transferred to Louisiana under my own name then? Even if I'm not a legal resident there? It sounds like the title HAS to be in Louisiana for them to register and drive in Louisiana. Or could I just register the car under my name in Louisiana and let her drive it as long as insurance is handled?

I guess I should have clarified about "give the car to kid". I'm not trying to give ownership over if I don't have to since that feels like a whole lot of unnecessary paperwork. At the end of the day, I want my kiddo to drive the car in LA. If she was in TX, I would just add her to insurance and call it a day. But the whole different state stuff is confusing.

Keep it in your name, registered and insured in Texas and let her drive in LA. Shouldn't be a problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hi thread, I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

- The wheel size is 235/40/R19 in the manual however the brake rotor/caliper is pretty massive and wondering if there are additional specs I should be looking for? I don't see anything else in the online manual so wondering if it might be something that would be on the tire pressure decal in the car door sill. I'm hesitant to buy a set of wheels until I know for sure they will fit over that big rotor/caliper.
- Are there any preferred brands of winter tires these days? I have had a few sets of Nokian hakkapeliittas and they've been great but the Michelin X-Ice would probably be the other one I'd be looking at.

I'm in western canada and would probably be going to kaltire for it because they're always great but if people have other recommendations (US based tirerack would be too much of a hassle for me) that'd be cool too.

I have a quote for the OEM wheels with Michelins and they are $$$$. Would like to get a set of 3rd party alloys I can just thrash in the winter time. Not a lot of snow/salt/ice here but enough to make winter tires a very useful purchase.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have a stupid question. I just put goo gone automotive on my car without reading the last item in the list of instructions, which is “wash off with soapy water.” Will I destroy the clear coat on my car if I’m not able to wash it until tomorrow morning? I’ve tried to wipe it off as best I can with towels, but it’s oily. How boned am I? Again, it’s the goo gone product formulated specifically for cars, not the regular stuff.

If it helps: the car is a 2021 volkswagon jetta.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have a stupid question. I just put goo gone automotive on my car without reading the last item in the list of instructions, which is “wash off with soapy water.” Will I destroy the clear coat on my car if I’m not able to wash it until tomorrow morning? I’ve tried to wipe it off as best I can with towels, but it’s oily. How boned am I? Again, it’s the goo gone product formulated specifically for cars, not the regular stuff.

If it helps: the car is a 2021 volkswagon jetta.

is goo gone automotive substantially different from goo gone classic (ie methyl ether + kerosene + orange essence/smell)?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

is goo gone automotive substantially different from goo gone classic (ie methyl ether + kerosene + orange essence/smell)?

Bottle says petroleum distillates and d-limonene. I’m guessing that’s kerosene at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can’t even wipe it with some dish soap?