Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

Volund also presented an obviously fake termination letter as real so maybe I'll take that with a grain of salt

Fair point.

I'm uninvolved in the games after MTW2 but watching this mess is both saddening & entertaining.

edit: what a lovely snipe. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For what it's worth, Bellular is claiming to have his own anonymous sources corroborating some of the CA drama. Take it for a grain of salt, given the anonymity sources and Bellular just generally having an aire of someone who would make up poo poo for clout.

https://youtu.be/43YY49jizPE?si=Z7NF8y7JiEABcxi_

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I dunno I could see him being taken for a ride but I don't think he'd make up stuff

He's one of those youtubers who thinks theyr part of the games industry and talks about companies as if hes a colleague

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah he could have just seen what he wanted to, but whatever, it's still not in doubt that CA is in a tailspin. I did watch that video a few days ago, and if the Chaos Dwarf DLC, which seemed like the best they've ever done to me, wasn't profitable? That's depressing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chorf DLC was also more expensive than other race packs and came at a time when there was a ton of bugs and performance problems-- not that the bugs/performance ever got better, really.

So the reasons that SoC flopped are the same reasons chorf DLC wouldn't have done well.

It's shocking-- shocking-- that MBAs don't recognize that DLCs are hard to sell when the base product isn't received well. And when they released TWWH3 they didn't have IE (which is what everyone wanted), ran worse than TWWH2 and didn't/doesn't work as well as TWWH2.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

smug jeebus posted:

Yeah he could have just seen what he wanted to, but whatever, it's still not in doubt that CA is in a tailspin. I did watch that video a few days ago, and if the Chaos Dwarf DLC, which seemed like the best they've ever done to me, wasn't profitable? That's depressing.

That's kinda wild because i agree, best they've ever done.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If I wasn't being obvious enough, Bellular normally makes his home shitstirring for WoW news, so my suspicion was that he smelled the smoke from all the content creators making a ruckus over dead studio CA news and decided to branch out. Considering that he's also peddling anonymous sources like known psychopath Volound, maybe take his words with a mine full of salt.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

If I wasn't being obvious enough, Bellular normally makes his home shitstirring for WoW news, so my suspicion was that he smelled the smoke from all the content creators making a ruckus over dead studio CA news and decided to branch out. Considering that he's also peddling anonymous sources like known psychopath Volound, maybe take his words with a mine full of salt.

As we're both gobshites from Northern Ireland i've never trusted him much tbh, too smug. :commissar:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
before i start writing the eulogy for 3k2 or CA in general, i'm gonna wait for something a little more reliable than random insane drama youtubers saying they heard it from anonymous sources

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just take the 3k engine and make Medieval 3 with it

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
I bought Pharaoh. It's not a bad game, I like the campaign mechanics (though I can see myself getting frustrated or sick of the Civil War mechanic) and I appreciate that battles are now slower and enemies and your units take more time to die, meaning you can actually appreciate the units themselves. But...it's not really worth 60€. The court mechanic also gets boring after the first 3, 4 times, the game doesn't really innovate that much (if at all, pretty much all features already existed in other TW's, ambitions are missions, the court system also existed in Rome Total War, tbf it wasn't as fleshed out, religion also existed in other TW's, but now you can dedicate to gods), in the battles little has changed, other than the advance or retreat function.

I dunno, it's worth 30€, maybe 40€.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

StashAugustine posted:

Just take the 3k engine and make Medieval 3 with it

Just take the 3k engine and make Literally Anything with it. It was such an amazing engine and it went into the dumpster almost immediately. Hell, the hand painted art style and romance style commanders could be adapted for Shogun 3.

Honestly, I'd be kind of interested in a new setting focused around the Mongol invasions of the 1200s.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

99pct of germs posted:

There's no shot CA gets sold off or shuttered, they are historically a solid earner for SEGA. A reorg like what we saw with the layoffs is about it. Besides SEGA doesn't want to potentially damage their valuation if they intend on letting themselves be acquired at some point.

I mean if Relic didn't get spun off after CoH3 then I'd say CA is probably safe too.
What happened to Relic and CoH3? I have not heard anything about either.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

CoH 3 is still being updated, but people really didn't like the game much. It's a shame, because I'm desperate for a game like Total War but in a more modern setting, and CoH 3 has a campaign map, but it apparently is kinda rear end. Here's hoping WARNO is better, but the army general thing doesn't really scratch that "Develop Regions and Build Units" itch like Total War. Does anyone know if CoH 3 allows this? Game play videos I saw don't seem like it does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shutting down studios is old hat. Nowadays it's just endless layoffs and internal gutting while you keep the name and branding. You don't get the bad press that EA got for shuttering studios, you just get a whole new slew of bad press.

So Creative Assembly's name will live on with nothing of substance behind it.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
All of this could have been avoided if they had priced Pharaoh better, I think. Also, game looks like rear end without the blood, which will probably be a 10€ DLC if SEGA/CA keep hitting those home runs.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

CoH3 came out in a rather abysmal state, similar to WH3. It's primarily a competitive MP RTS game that featured basically nothing needed to do competitive MP, including no replay system. Relic compounded these problems by making their first order of business setting up the micro-transaction shop and stocking it with skin packs. Ever since then player count dropped off a cliff and they've been trying to bail water out of a sunk ship.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Despacho posted:

CoH 3 is still being updated, but people really didn't like the game much. It's a shame, because I'm desperate for a game like Total War but in a more modern setting, and CoH 3 has a campaign map, but it apparently is kinda rear end. Here's hoping WARNO is better, but the army general thing doesn't really scratch that "Develop Regions and Build Units" itch like Total War. Does anyone know if CoH 3 allows this? Game play videos I saw don't seem like it does.

Explicitly no for COH3

If Warno winds up anything like the campaigns for the developers predecessors (namely Wargame Red Dragon, and Steel Division 1 & 2) there won't really be the settlement management or army composition aspects. It's pretty explicitly just the military maneuvering on both the strategic and tactical level

Instead, each campaign scenario has you moving individual, pre-composed elements (like a scout attachment, an armored company, a mechanized infantry corps) that you can move and position, and when you come into contact with enemy elements it fires off into the total-war-style tactical battle that you directly control.

That's not to say there isn't a level of customization. You can do army building in the Eugen games, but it's explicitly like unit decks that you build out for multiplayer skirmish, rather than something you bring into campaign. You can run meme builds like all infantry transport helicopter rush, but it's not going to be in the context of a grand strategy campaign.

It's pretty different from the total war formula, but I can see there being shared interest between the two.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really, really, really love games with a tactical layer underlying a strategic campaign layer. DoW: Dark Crusade was about perfect

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Actraiser ftw

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

CoH3 has been addressed but it's also important to note that the studio is also working on AoE4 with Microsoft (with the expansion coming out in 2 weeks). They've had significantly more success with that game, so if anything, if Sega Europe is truly in dire straits and wants to start recouping losses by dropping studios, the likelihood of them selling Relic to Microsoft as an AoE studio is significantly more likely than selling their biggest European studio and cashcow. But of course, drama Youtubers are very good at catching eyeballs with the power of outrage and making poo poo up

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't buy the Chorf DLC because I have zero interest in Chorfs, and I bought every other DLC (except the blood one).

WH3 still has enormous potential to make a lot of money, nobody is shuttering down CA while WH3 isn't totally dead yet.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
It's very funny that this is almost all coming from that Volund moron. I think it'll be even funnier if it turns out to be true

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

It's very funny that this is almost all coming from that Volund moron. I think it'll be even funnier if it turns out to be true

Hasn't been the doom & gloom lad for over a decade now?

Until the YT algorithm brought him to my attention i had been blissfully ignorant.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vizuyos posted:

before i start writing the eulogy for 3k2 or CA in general, i'm gonna wait for something a little more reliable than random insane drama youtubers saying they heard it from anonymous sources

I mean we haven’t heard a beep about 3k2 since it was announced which isn’t good.

The CA dying is more wishful thinking but things are obviously not going well right now

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I guess it depends on when the decision was made to change strategy with 3K and begin work on a new game. If it was even relatively close to their announcement then it wouldn't be unreasonable to have not heard anything else about it yet even if things were going swimmingly.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

CoH3 has been addressed but it's also important to note that the studio is also working on AoE4 with Microsoft (with the expansion coming out in 2 weeks). They've had significantly more success with that game, so if anything, if Sega Europe is truly in dire straits and wants to start recouping losses by dropping studios, the likelihood of them selling Relic to Microsoft as an AoE studio is significantly more likely than selling their biggest European studio and cashcow. But of course, drama Youtubers are very good at catching eyeballs with the power of outrage and making poo poo up

Didn't they get taken off AoE4? I thought their contract was up to the last Season, while World's Edge got a handle on the toolkit/engine to make the Expansions.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Didn't they get taken off AoE4? I thought their contract was up to the last Season, while World's Edge got a handle on the toolkit/engine to make the Expansions.

This is correct, it's why Relic getting gutted by Sega had no impact on the expansion.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh I didn't know that, my apologies. Well rip Relic, dead studio dead studio

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Torrannor posted:

I didn't buy the Chorf DLC because I have zero interest in Chorfs.

:mods:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh I didn't know that, my apologies. Well rip Relic, dead studio dead studio

Ack! :(

RIP the studio that made Homeworld. o7

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Relic died when Dawn of War 3 was a flop, it's just been shambling on ever since.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
A few more "gripes" with Pharaoh:

- Court system is repetitive and, at least for me, useless. You get some cool bonuses like army wages being a bit less or buildings cost less, but you just do the same goddamn thing turn after turn. Not fun at all;
- We're back to enemy cultures/nations building armies with 12 - 13 ranged units (specially, javelins), but because units aren't deleted by ranged units anymore, they just get steamrolled;
- Sieges are awful. You kill enemies until a unit has 10-30 mans and sometimes they don't break, keep in mind that this is in normal;
- Sieges are awful. Units in walls start rubbing on another, don't get down/up walls, get stuck in the gate, etc;
- Sieges are awful. Units in gates get stuck if you give them the advance order, they go back, then forwards, then back, then forward;
- Autoresolve is awful and really, really, wants to kill your chariots. Battles where you win with 200 - 500 casualties are losses in autoresolve;
- Sea Peoples are kind of annoying. The AI just pops new armies in your territory and you have to chase them around, boring;

Yeah, worth about 30€.

Despacho fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 6, 2023

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Just take the 3k engine and make Literally Anything with it. It was such an amazing engine and it went into the dumpster almost immediately. Hell, the hand painted art style and romance style commanders could be adapted for Shogun 3.

Honestly, I'd be kind of interested in a new setting focused around the Mongol invasions of the 1200s.

For some stupid reason i thought warhammer 3 was gonna be on the 3k engine, cause why would you release the same game again for a 3rd time. I think it's one of the reasons why I never got on with it and only played it on gamepass.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
At least that's understandable, porting over 6 years worth of content onto a new engine can't be easy lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

At least that's understandable, porting over 6 years worth of content onto a new engine can't be easy lol
I mean... the WH3 devs didnt bother to keep up with what the WH2 folks did in DLCs until after WH3 was released (the cutover was the Potion Of Speed patch almost 2 years before the last WH2 DLC came out, if I remember correctly). You can port stuff over. No I'm not a game dev and dont know the technicalities of it but come the gently caress on.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

Ack! :(

RIP the studio that made Homeworld. o7

If it helps, those folks have largely moved on to other RTS studios now, and we are currently having a weird renaissance going on.

There's like 5-10 different old school RTS games in active dev right now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I mean... the WH3 devs didnt bother to keep up with what the WH2 folks did in DLCs until after WH3 was released (the cutover was the Potion Of Speed patch almost 2 years before the last WH2 DLC came out, if I remember correctly). You can port stuff over. No I'm not a game dev and dont know the technicalities of it but come the gently caress on.

Also going from Warhammer 1 to 2 they couldn't port norsca for like 8 months after the 1&2 combined map hit. I think the excuse was similar - norsca hit game 1 after the cutoff for moving to game 2. To add to that, they fundamentally reworked the database schema for the races as part of this, and norsca was fully incompatible and had to be basically remade from the ground up for game 2.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Despacho posted:

A few more "gripes" with Pharaoh:

- Court system is repetitive and, at least for me, useless. You get some cool bonuses like army wages being a bit less or buildings cost less, but you just do the same goddamn thing turn after turn. Not fun at all;
- We're back to enemy cultures/nations building armies with 12 - 13 ranged units (specially, javelins), but because units aren't deleted by ranged units anymore, they just get steamrolled;
- Sieges are awful. You kill enemies until a unit has 10-30 mans and sometimes they don't break, keep in mind that this is in normal;
- Sieges are awful. Units in walls start rubbing on another, don't get down/up walls, get stuck in the gate, etc;
- Sieges are awful. Units in gates get stuck if you give them the advance order, they go back, then forwards, then back, then forward;
- Autoresolve is awful and really, really, wants to kill your chariots. Battles where you win with 200 - 500 casualties are losses in autoresolve;
- Sea Peoples are kind of annoying. The AI just pops new armies in your territory and you have to chase them around, boring;

Yeah, worth about 30€.

I agree about the court system, the bonuses are just very small and insignificant. For the sea peoples I just disabled them in the campaign settings, it also makes the AI a bit more competent since they dont get completely destroyed by them every 10-15 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
im reinstalling three kingdoms after not touching it since release. any important DLCs or mods i should get?