Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Content is king. Doesn’t matter if the headset has better specs if it’s app store blows. It was also dumb of them to not sell it in the US. The biggest market for their product.

aren't they being held back by the US constantly threatening to sanction bytedance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the US is not the most stable market for Chinese tech companies right now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5qlJePwwF0

A full remake of Amnesia for VR, in the Unity engine. One of the scariest games ever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Yeah I have the dlink bridge thing on my desk and it's clearly better than trying to use even my high end Nighthawk house router. Just the direct connection and line of sight.

Is sticking a 15 dollar wifi usb into the computer gonna be better than the $80 cable the oculus guys are selling?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Is sticking a 15 dollar wifi usb into the computer gonna be better than the $80 cable the oculus guys are selling?

The official Link cable is a relic of the time when the Link system was still being developed and they massively overengineered a cable for it before eventually realising it didn't need that much data throughput to work decently. It's honestly shocking they're still selling it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've had to get 2 moderately pricey cables since the first one didn't work, still cheaper than the link cable but there's something to be said for it.

The one I have that works for both data and charging is the "Syntech Link Cable Compatible with Meta/Oculus Quest 3/2 Accessories and PC/Steam VR, 16FT Upgraded Type C Cable with USB 3.0 Adapter, High Speed Data Transfer Charging Cord for VR Headset" from Amazon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just got an Anker Powerline cable and an Amazon Basics USB extension cable.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Well, if it works, all the better.

From what I can tell some cables that work for Quest 2 do not for the Quest 3, or at least that's the reason my first one didn't work, because of the higher power draw.

Or at least they won't charge while in use, just slow down the discharge rate.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's not the cable, your typical motherboard USB port simply can't provide that power.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah you need to be able to provide 2A at 9V or something for USB-PD spec, and most motherboards won't be able to do that. If you buy an add-in card that is specifically designed for it, you can do it, but most motherboards do not support USB-PD.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 8, 2023

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've done a LOT of hunting on this so far, and the only cable that people say is powering the Q3 via link is this one: https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Compatible-Accessories-Transfer-Separate/dp/B0BRQMFDQ3/ However it's somewhat finicky with order of connections apparently.

If this were white I'd buy it to test, but I leave one of my pulleys hung up typically and the black cable against the white wall in the office would not pass the wife test (or mine, really), whereas the white one is vaguely acceptable.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Played the tutorial and first level of PowerWash Simulator last night. On the Quest Pro it's definitely a bit of a visual downgrade from the PC (are there visual differences on 2/Pro/3? no idea), but the feel is really good.

I keeping thinking about the hours spent approximating a cleaning motion on analog stick/mouse trying to get that feel, versus just doing the actual physical motion :D

I can't really review the game because I haven't done any larger levels, but I've no complaints with anything yet. There was one review I saw that blasted the game for not having a soundtrack, while simultaneously talking about how they put on their own playlist. Like yeah, you're doing it correctly, that's not a flaw, heh

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"Just right" level of force feedback with power wash simulator would be :discourse:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I've done a LOT of hunting on this so far, and the only cable that people say is powering the Q3 via link is this one: https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Compatible-Accessories-Transfer-Separate/dp/B0BRQMFDQ3/ However it's somewhat finicky with order of connections apparently.

If this were white I'd buy it to test, but I leave one of my pulleys hung up typically and the black cable against the white wall in the office would not pass the wife test (or mine, really), whereas the white one is vaguely acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2QPSWSF/ref=twister_B0CCJJQYYZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This one maybe? Same concept, got it for my Quest 2, worked well a bunch of times but experienced what I assumed to be some of that finnicky plug-in order stuff so I ended up just opting to go with an external battery.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2QPSWSF/ref=twister_B0CCJJQYYZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This one maybe? Same concept, got it for my Quest 2, worked well a bunch of times but experienced what I assumed to be some of that finnicky plug-in order stuff so I ended up just opting to go with an external battery.

Reviews say it is not strong enough, even with the actual power brick.

Can't run a battery at the same time as link cable and cable is just such a boon for bitrate and removing network latency. I'm just waiting for a good quest 3 compatible charge + link from China (that is also in white) and will just snag that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The key thing for the Quest 3 is that it needs 18W power to stay fully charged under heavy load, as compared to the 2 which only needs 10-13W.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Roadie posted:

The key thing for the Quest 3 is that it needs 18W power to stay fully charged under heavy load, as compared to the 2 which only needs 10-13W.

Yeah. All the overseas company making things for the Quest products are just going to have to catch up with products providing enough power for the Q3. I assume they will eventually.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
For what it's worth 2 hours of Tabor only drained the headset by 20%, but I changed the BoboVR battery at an hour. Still showed 2/4 lights, but I wanted to make sure I didn't end up with a gap.

I'm OK with this and will probably just swap put every hour. I only play 2-3 hours anyway so should be fine with just the 2 hours.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is there anyway to get notifications for when things I've wishlisted on the oculus store go on sale? I'm waiting for bigger discounts...

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Roadie posted:

You definitely notice it. I have a couple of Anker 10k battery banks that can output 25W, i used them with the Quest 2 and used to get ~6h if both the headset and battery was full. With the same setup on a Quest 3, I'm lucky to get 4h. I used to basically never think about having enough charge to play for a couple of hours in the evening on the Q2, can't really do that now.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
got the reverb g2 first impressions, I'm utterly blown away by how bad the haptics in the controller feel, it's probably the worst I've ever felt

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How I read this post

runaway dog posted:

got the reverb g2 first impressions, I'm utterly blown away

Oh wow, he liked it!

quote:

by how bad the haptics in the controller feel, it's probably the worst I've ever felt

Never mind.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

runaway dog posted:

got the reverb g2 first impressions, I'm utterly blown away by how bad the haptics in the controller feel, it's probably the worst I've ever felt

Thats not a first impressions, that's a first sentence. Where's the rest of it?

So Virtual Desktop released an update that supports Rift games. Also, higher resolution and bitrate options:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/17pymqo/virtual_desktop_update_rift_store_games/

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I guess impressions part 2, it's kind of uncomfortable on my temples, with or without the visor spacer. I dislike how it doesn't have a headphone jack. The setup process was kind of a headache, for some reason it wouldn't work no matter what usb or displayport port I used until the second I unplugged my monitor then suddenly the software detected it, though I remember rift s being annoying the first time I set it up too. Gets pretty warm, and I kinda dislike how I can't go visorless as it's not a halo band style, my fault, but I thought since it split open it was gonna be a situation where I could flip it up while wearing it, but the split is just there for putting it on and removal. More annoying to adjust than the rift, thought that said, it remembers your size whereas the rift didn't. I haven't really had the chance to play games yet but I did hang out in the steam house, and idk it kinda looks the same? tracking seems good, it didn't wander off while it was at my waist, however if I hold the controllers still they seem like they're shaking around, like I have a minor nervous condition. dislike how it seems to lower the frame-rate on my main monitor, no matter what refresh I set it feels like 60, then as soon as I turn off windows mixed reality it's back at 165.

The floaty speakers are nice and much better than the rift s' headband slits, I also like how it didn't bug me about my guardian space, also the obvious no meta, the back of the headband is much better than the rift without the knob there, I can actually rest my head comfortably on the back of my chair, the controllers are pretty comfortable even if they do kinda feel like madkatz versions of the rift s touch controllers. I also like the power off switch on the box. windows mixed reality portal not too bad, though I miss my rift house, not that it matters since they killed homes.

idk I'll have to gently caress with it, I remember thinking the rift s was pretty uncomfortable until one day I realized I had been wearing it wrong, I noticed that some youtubers recommend getting a 200g counter weight for the back, so I might strap something on that weights around 200g, also I'm probably just not noticing the improvement, or was expecting more than I should have, maybe I can plug both in and do a back and forth

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 8, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Cool thing to use to show off the Quest 2 or 3 to friends and family is the Titanic 3D trailer in the Bigscreen app. Like being in a movie theater for reals. They don’t have to mess with controls or anything.

stupid question, but did you have to download the video to your computer and stream it or what? I found the trailer on youtube but it's side-by-side and I can't figure out how to get that to turn into 3d using bigscreen

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Tunicate posted:

stupid question, but did you have to download the video to your computer and stream it or what? I found the trailer on youtube but it's side-by-side and I can't figure out how to get that to turn into 3d using bigscreen

BigScreen has its own selection of trailers, movies to rent, and free channels.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
never having to deal with WMR again is a blessing directly from god

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Just tried to fire up my quest 2 after a year. Never had a meta account set up. Every link I can find brings me back to to the meta quest setup page which is 100% broken. Every way I try to login via my active FB page gives me a "sorry we're broken" error. Is this a random error that'll get fixed or am I somehow screwed?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ShaneB posted:

It's not the cable, your typical motherboard USB port simply can't provide that power.

orange juche posted:

Yeah you need to be able to provide 2A at 9V or something for USB-PD spec, and most motherboards won't be able to do that. If you buy an add-in card that is specifically designed for it, you can do it, but most motherboards do not support USB-PD.

I have a fancy 135W USB hub that can do up to 45W from any port, so I'm pretty sure it was the cable in my case.

Especially since, you know, it works with the other cable from the same company which specifically mentions that they fixed fast charging for Q3.

e: Well both 'work', but one only manages to slow down the battery drain while the other one charges it up in use.

I think this is because of the quest not being willing to trust the connection and draw enough power over it. It's something I've seen with smartphones at least.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 8, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

Just tried to fire up my quest 2 after a year. Never had a meta account set up. Every link I can find brings me back to to the meta quest setup page which is 100% broken. Every way I try to login via my active FB page gives me a "sorry we're broken" error. Is this a random error that'll get fixed or am I somehow screwed?

if you dgaf what you have on there i’d just hold power and vol down and factory reset the headset because it’ll be less a pain in the rear end

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

if you dgaf what you have on there i’d just hold power and vol down and factory reset the headset because it’ll be less a pain in the rear end

That means that I'd have to set up an account fresh and lose my paid games? I've probably got 200 bucks of games that I very much don't want to lose

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Have you tried using the meta quest app on your phone? It syncs with the headset. I don't know if it would let you get around those issues, but it might be worth a try.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Have you tried using the meta quest app on your phone? It syncs with the headset. I don't know if it would let you get around those issues, but it might be worth a try.

100% same issue. The app gives me the same error as the headset. It seems a bunch of people have this problem and meta seems to not give a poo poo. Guess my quest 2 is unplayable.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I had a similar problem when setting up my Quest 3. I think I uninstalled and re-downloaded the app to get it to work

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pretty sure my 3 did the same and the app unfucked it after one try. Hope it works out.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
My Q2 did similar after updating In Death, had to delete loads of other stuff and logout and in again. A factory reset wouldn't delete your account, you'd just have to login and redownload everything. Worth a try if there's nothing else that works.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My Quest Pro controllers are now doing the "controller is overheated" bug, luckily I have a few months to go on the direct-from-Meta warranty so we'll see how that goes. What a stupid "internet of poo poo" way to disable an appliance. At least use multiple thermocouples and have a way to get a consensus from the readings before you're gonna self-brick. Imagine if your phone and car were like "well this one sensor says I'm 9999 degrees, guess I'll shut myself off".

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Desdinova posted:

My Q2 did similar after updating In Death, had to delete loads of other stuff and logout and in again. A factory reset wouldn't delete your account, you'd just have to login and redownload everything. Worth a try if there's nothing else that works.

That's good to know that a factory reset won't delete all my stuff. Although since I can't create a meta account on the app or my PC, i wouldn't have access to it all until that nonsense is figured out.

You'd think meta would make the process of me giving them my personal information way easier, but here we are.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

That's good to know that a factory reset won't delete all my stuff. Although since I can't create a meta account on the app or my PC, i wouldn't have access to it all until that nonsense is figured out.

You'd think meta would make the process of me giving them my personal information way easier, but here we are.

I thought part of the process of setting up the headset was pairing a phone with the headset, and setup required you to input an email for your account? Surely you should be able to log into the account elsewhere / should have the credentials saved or at least a means to password recovery in case you can't log back in? I'm not sure where creating a (new?) account comes in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

runaway dog posted:

I use the old WMR controllers with it since they have more inputs, even if they are a bit chonkier (I don't mind the extra weight but YMMV). For those at least the haptics are significantly beefier than in the Quest 3, which I found actually pretty wimpy, probably the one major complaint I have with the Q3 so far (aside from latency/connection drops during frantic wireless use). Maybe you could find them somewhere on ebay? But they wouldn't be new obvs. e: The clicky touchpad ones I mean, i.e. the lenovo ones in the OP.

You could also use index controllers with it, but you'll need lighthouses for that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2023