Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I grabbed a ticket for saturday because i work thursday and our work xmas party is friday.

This whole declaring a movie a failure before its even out is such a silly thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I grabbed a ticket for saturday because i work thursday and our work xmas party is friday.

This whole declaring a movie a failure before its even out is such a silly thing.
It's a lot easier to tell success vs failure based on ticket presales.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think she has been the weakest casting of the major Avengers characters. I don't know exactly why, but her portrayal so far has been way, way too serious. Which is disappointing because she's a good actress so I don't know if it's the direction, or what.

She hasn't really been in it much. She had her own movie, in which she was a brainwashed space Navy SEAL playing off of a silly Nick Fury, a couple of scenes in Endgame, in which she was either pissed or fighting, and then a couple of postcredit scenes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

And here I thought the relaxed adventure tone of the sabotage trailer was actually a good thing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

magiccarpet posted:

And here I thought the relaxed adventure tone of the sabotage trailer was actually a good thing

I imagine that the Carol/Kamala stuff will be light and the Carol/Monica stuff will be less light.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

maybeadracula posted:

The doomposting in here is worse than the trump thread

lmao you goobers
Is anybody actually doing that? A series of movies and miniseries losing steam after some middling and outright terrible outings really isn't doom, nor can pointing it out be doomerism. It's just unfortunate.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

LividLiquid posted:

Is anybody actually doing that? A series of movies and miniseries losing steam after some middling and outright terrible outings really isn't doom, nor can pointing it out be doomerism. It's just unfortunate.

I'm probably conflating the two threads but there's a decent amount of No One Will See This and thinking these trailers were made this week as a reaction to ticket sales

My anecdotal non evidence is that everyone I know who has watched marvel movies intends to see it and I couldn't get a ticket to my preferred show because it was basically sold out already when I looked

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

maybeadracula posted:

and thinking these trailers were made this week as a reaction to ticket sales
I definitely do think this. But I just don't think that's doomerism. Turns out the advances actually weren't great, too, so I really don't think it's out of step for Disney to change tack in advertising.

It didn't look to Disney like people were buying what they were selling, so they changed the marketing some. Nothing scandalous about it.

But I never buy advanced tickets for Marvel poo poo anymore because post-Covid, people are only rarely going back to the theater in droves anyway. It doesn't have to be that everybody thinks the movie's going to suck. It's just not a property that's event viewing anymore until the next Avengers flick drops, I recknon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair, nobody has said anything about the quality of the movie yet. The review embargo just lifted about 10 minutes ago, so you should be seeing some reviews soon.

The movie cost a quarter of a billion to make, so not having a huge opening box office is going to make it a financial failure regardless of the quality of the movie itself.

Same thing with Quantumania. It grossed almost half a billion, many movies would kill to have that many people watch them. But, when your movie cost $250 million and you only get about 50% of the ticket sales, that means you probably lost money on it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

maybeadracula posted:

The doomposting in here is worse than the trump thread

lmao you goobers

It's very weird that you view the success of this movie as something we should care about and it failing being "doom"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Review embargo is lifted.

Most of the reviews are positive, but not overwhelmingly so. Lots of B to B+ ratings.

Main highlights that most critics seem to agree on:

- Strong performance from Iman Villani.

- Very brisk pacing. Some people think it is too short and makes the story seem like a mess because of the breakneck pace.

- Villain is underutilized and boring except for a few good action scenes.

- One of the funniest MCU movies in a long time.

- Whether you like it or not, it is a huge change in the metanarrative. Some people liked the huge change and finally feeling like the metanarrative and overarching story in phase 5 is moving forward. Others felt like it made the movie seem like a major midseason episode of a TV show that is about hooking you for the back half of the season.

- Creative fight choreography. Visuals are very good in some areas and so-so in others.

Variety critic summary:

quote:

The Marvels' worked for me. Female Avengers team-up movie packs in chuckles, cats, hairballs, and musical sequences. Much more episodic than a cinematic endeavor, but I think that's its greatest strength. Great post-credits. Loved my leading lady trio. Great visual effects.

Collider critic summary:

quote:

I went into 'The Marvels' with extremely low expectations and it wasn't half bad. Iman Villani and Teyonah Parris are easily the highlights. Love their chemistry with Brie Larson. Unfortunately, the story is a huge mess with an underutilized villain and an underwhelming finale.

Critic's Choice Award review summary:

quote:

The Marvels' is the most fun I’ve had watching a superhero movie in a while! It’s hilarious, action-packed & full of girl power. Kamala was a stand out & so many moments surprised me. There was a great balance of the team, while dropping shocking bombs that will change EVERYTHING.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Movie seen. Not really spoilers, but blocking anyway:

This is a direct sequel to both Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel. Anyone expecting Avengers 5 or Civil War 2 is going to be disappointed.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. So many delightful moments.

This is the film advertised in the Beastie Boys trailer, rather than the film advertised during the Chargers Jets game; thank goodness.

There are no connections to Secret Invasion whatsoever; thank goodness.

'The Moment' genuinely is a thing, but has no bearing on the plot of the movie. It really is X-Men. That really was the 'X' logo. Monica is currently trapped in the Fox X-Men universe, and meets Beast (full-on Kelsey Grammar hell loving yes) and Photon (absolutely Maria, but doesn't recognise poor Monica).

Iman Vellani is so loving good in every scene she's in. She just radiates watchability.

Carol is a loving Disney singing princess and I am immeasurably happy about that fact.

Aaaaah gently caress I enjoyed that movie so much you guys. I really hope it doesn't tank. :(

dingo with a joint fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 8, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

koolkal posted:

It's very weird that you view the success of this movie as something we should care about and it failing being "doom"

I don't. that's not what I was saying but I'll just drop it

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

dingo with a joint posted:

Movie seen. Not really spoilers, but blocking anyway:

This is a direct sequel to both Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel. Anyone expecting Avengers 5 or Civil War 2 is going to be disappointed.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. So many delightful moments.

This is the film advertised in the Beastie Boys trailer, rather than the film advertised during the Chargers Jets game; thank goodness.

There are no connections to Secret Invasion whatsoever; thank goodness.

'The Moment' genuinely is a thing, but has no bearing on the plot of the movie. It really is X-Men. That really was the 'X' logo. Monica is currently trapped in the Fox X-Men universe, and meets Beast (full-on Kelsey Grammar hell loving yes) and Photon (absolutely Maria, but doesn't recognise poor Monica).

Iman Vellani is so loving good in every scene she's in. She just radiates watchability.

Carol is a loving Disney singing princess and I am immeasurably happy about that fact.

Aaaaah gently caress I enjoyed that movie so much you guys. I really hope it doesn't tank. :(

Does the Binary form show up? And if so, who does it?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shageletic posted:

Still can't get on the Hawkeye bandwagon because it's the rare example of where the MCU adaptation is worse than the actual comic. Which is great and I recommend everyone read.

Those comics really are so loving good. Solid, standalone reads, great art and writing, just the gold standard of modern superhero comics. You're right, everyone with even a passing interest in the funny papers needs to give them a try.

I feel the show adapted them well though. All the changes made sense to turn young kind aimless loser(ish) comic Hawkeye into the MCU's Hawkdad. The car chase scene going from Hawkeye with some random bad babe he's been occasionally hooking up with, to Hawkdad exasperatedly training Kate Bishop on the fly is superb. Kate Bishop in general gets more personality in the show, rather than just being a slightly younger female clone of Hawkeye in the comics. Hailee Steinfeld being an absolute treasure.

The show certainly has its own scruffy moments, but the show is a drat good fun, and extracts some great moments from the comics and puts them on screen adapted in ways that make sense. The comics issues are more standalone, the running threads being quite light so it's more just a series of individual adventures than a structured series. As such, picking out some of the good bits for the show was the only way to go.

Fair play if you prefer the comics though, because those are some really loving good comics.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

badjohny posted:

Does the Binary form show up? And if so, who does it?

You can watch the post-credits scene here while it's still up. Kind of spoilers as in it seems like just a tease to tease but if you want to experience it in theaters don't watch:

youtube.com/watch?v=3aKHc61-jIc

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Dave posted:

You can watch the post-credits scene here while it's still up. Kind of spoilers as in it seems like just a tease to tease but if you want to experience it in theaters don't watch:

youtube.com/watch?v=3aKHc61-jIc

Well, Beast looks so much worse than X-Men 3. That looks like a videogame cutscene. Also, I've never seen a theater that turns on every light while the credits still roll. That seems annoying.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

dingo with a joint posted:

Uncovering this not a spoiler (there was one in there, about "the moment" which is the only thing people would not want to read) because this is the most important thing we all need to know.

Cautiously letting my hype levels seep back up, thanks dingo.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

Well, Beast looks so much worse than X-Men 3. That looks like a videogame cutscene. Also, I've never seen a theater that turns on every light while the credits still roll. That seems annoying.

Allegedly this scene was added last minute, time crunch may have been a major issue.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Allegedly this scene was added last minute, time crunch may have been a major issue.

Even if it wasn't added last minute, it's CGI in a Marvel movie, so time crunch may already have been an issue.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wow he looks terrible

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bold choice to just splice in the animation from the 90's X-Men.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Since I guess we’re just posting spoilers for a movie that’s not out yet in the TV thread guess I’ll bounce for a few days

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I think Beast looks pretty good, though he's on a fuzzy camera phone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nikumatic posted:

Since I guess we’re just posting spoilers for a movie that’s not out yet in the TV thread guess I’ll bounce for a few days

Yep, just forgot what thread this was and moused over something!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am usually pretty liberal about spoiler rules, but yeah its a little.much, especially come tomorrow when actual spoilered show chat is fair game.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Not really spoilers but *posts a massive spoiler*

:thumbsup:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People are gladly reading spoilers for the season/series finale of Loki?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I’ll read spoilers of anything and everything. Knowing what’s gonna happen doesn’t make what happens good or bad.

There are lots of people who don’t treat every plot as a mystery that lives or dies by how much it surprises them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I saw a study that, contrary to popular belief, reading spoilers actually improves the viewing experience. I was skeptical, but tried it out and what do you know, it's true.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Knowing ahead of time that Snape kills Dumbledore was awesome

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Necrothatcher posted:

I saw a study that, contrary to popular belief, reading spoilers actually improves the viewing experience. I was skeptical, but tried it out and what do you know, it's true.

One version of the study was done with mysteries, so if a good mystery gets better with spoilers, the newest Marvel blockbuster should be fine.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I’ll read spoilers of anything and everything. Knowing what’s gonna happen doesn’t make what happens good or bad.

There are lots of people who don’t treat every plot as a mystery that lives or dies by how much it surprises them.

I wasn't planning to see The Marvels in theaters till I read the spoilers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, cool, I'm happy for you guys who like stuff more when you know what'll happen, but I and many other people still prefer to experience some stuff blind

e: "well actually you'll like it more if you get spoiled" That study had problems, also I don't care

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 8, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Arist posted:

Okay, cool, I'm happy for you, but I and many other people still prefer to experience some stuff blind

Yeah I dont think any of us making this point are saying we purposefully post spoilers for others. I follow spoiler tag use, on Forums and Discords.

There are certainly movies where I dont read the spoilers. I want to be surprised in whodunits because thats the point.

I’ll digress after this, but: I do think the whole culture movement around treating knowing what happens in a movie as having SPOILED the movie itself is ridiculous, though. If a movie can be RUINED by its plot being known ahead of time, and it’s not a mystery or thriller or whatever, then that movie is probably really lovely. Treating every story as a puzzle to be solved just sounds like a rotten way to enjoy media, imo.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I’ll digress after this, but: I do think the whole culture movement around treating knowing what happens in a movie as having SPOILED the movie itself is ridiculous, though. If a movie can be RUINED by its plot being known ahead of time, and it’s not a mystery or thriller or whatever, then that movie is probably really lovely. Treating every story as a puzzle to be solved just sounds like a rotten way to enjoy media, imo.

I agree that if you do not enjoy a film when you already know the full extent of its twists and turns, then maybe that film isn't great.
But I think you are underplaying how important the element of surprise is in like all narrative. The way in which basically every story unfolds in every genre is carefully choreographed, and the delight/surprise people feel is completely legitimate as one of the most important parts of storytelling. There is a reason big plot twists are the most quoted and memorable moments in all of TV and cinema. I think it's both true that twists can be used as a crutch for otherwise bland filmmaking, and also that if you know what happens in a film then that is spoiled for you.

Many people like their experience of a film or TV show to feel like they are being carefully led through a story by the filmmakers, and a big part of telling a story - maybe the biggest part - is how you as the storyteller are drawing the audience's focus and shaping their awareness of what's going on. Even if it's not some mystery thriller, going in blind means you are focusing on the story in the way that you are supposed to. Even trailers can sometimes hamper this.

The 'spoiler' culture movement is not a reaction to films being shittier, it's a reaction to the fact that we are swamped with more information than ever before, most of which we cannot opt into.

Succession is not a mystery or a thriller, but there's a huge pivot in the final season that many people found exhilarating. I didn't, because mainstream news outlets ran cute headlines about it that completely ruined the surprise tongue in cheek obituaries for the character who died unexpectedly just one day after the episode was released. I still enjoyed it, because it is an incredible show, but I knew what was going to happen and that took some of the fun away from it.

That said, in this year 2023 you should spoil all Marvel for yourself all the time because plot twists/reveals/post credit stuff in Marvel is 100% the corporate nightmare machine taking you for a mindless rube and trying to keep you hooked on the endless empty calorie roller coaster of otherwise mediocre content.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 8, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah I’ll allow that surprise is a plot device that can be used effectively outside of mystery/thriller, totally fair. And, like I said, I do use spoiler tags online and ask people if they’ve seen something before launching into it in a conversation or whatever, because that’s just common courtesy and being respectful of those around you.

I think what mostly annoys me, and it’s almost exclusively online that you see it to this degree (and what I meant by spoiler culture) is that there’s a segment of people who act as if everyone outside of their own experience should take on the responsibility of being the custodian of their media “spoilers.” Like it’s everyone’s job to NOT spoil the thing in current social discourse when I feel it should be the opposite: basically, if you’re afraid of mousing over spoiler tags the day before a Marvel thing releases, don’t go online where you can mouse over spoiler tags of a Marvel thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, when your movie cost $250 million and you only get about 50% of the ticket sales, that means you probably lost money on it.
Distributors get way more than 50% of ticket sales. The split on opening weekend is like 95-5 for big blockbusters.

For The Phantom Menace, for instance, Fox got 110% of ticket sales. Exhibitors had to pay Fox for every ticket sold.

This is why popcorn costs ten bucks. It's the only money theaters make.

The only time exhibitors see any real money from ticket sales is when a flick has a long tail and nothing really does anymore.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Parkingtigers posted:

Fair play if you prefer the comics though, because those are some really loving good comics.

This is how I've always felt about Skurge's death in Ragnarok. It's a fine enough scene in the movie, but doesn't hold a candle to how amazing it is in the comics.

The spoiler talk just makes me think of that Matthew McConaughey movie Serenity from a few years ago. I wasn't interested in it from the trailer, but I heard that it had a ridiculous twist. Since I had no plans to check it out, I ended up looking up the twist out of curiosity, had a good laugh, and decided I needed to watch Serenity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Soul Glo posted:

basically, if you’re afraid of mousing over spoiler tags the day before a Marvel thing releases, don’t go online where you can mouse over spoiler tags of a Marvel thing.

I wouldn't expect to see spoilers for the marvel film that's coming out in the Marvel TV thread though
Sure in CD, but not here