Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
google likes webp because

• it's "invented here" and can therefore get googlers career advancement
  • at scale it can save them penny-shavings of bandwidth, sometimes, maybe, it depends
  • it allows them to throw their weight around and gleefully break websites in not-chrome
  • swaddled in their monorepos, googlers do not understand or care about the costs of upgrading and maintaining external software when they break poo poo on a whim

gently caress google, and gently caress webp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also the moment you have a colorspace difference (or a lot of other transforms) the extra bits are useful even if the ultimate output doesn't manage to differentiate between more than 256 levels of a channel

yeah. and HDR, as we conceptualize it today, is absolutely not entirely about bit depth — you can certainly have a 24-bit panel that nonetheless has a fairly limited possible gamut. iirc in 2010 you'd be lucky to have full sRGB coverage on a typical screen; back then full adobe RGB coverage would have been more common for pro monitors but still pretty rare

also i feel like pretty much any monitor's peak brightness in 2010 wouldn't meet any modern HDR spec but it's possible i'm wrong on that, i don't feel like looking it up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
webp sucks rear end. its underlying codec was intended to rival h.264/AVC and never quite succeeded at doing so. it's worse than any HEVC or AV1 based format in pretty much every way

and those are all worse than JPEG XL

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

there weren't really specs for what we call HDR today back then, but that doesn't mean there wasn't support for it in hardware or software. qirex's post is a good example,

CRTs certainly supported 32-bit color, even back then (and way before). around 2010 finding a pro level LCD monitor with a 24- or 16-bit panel wasn't that hard. even extremely cheap ones were 14- or 12-bit, claimed to be 16-bit and just dithered it down. i mean, finding an explicitly 8-bit panel would probably have been more difficult than finding one with a higher color depth

like for example the iphone 3g, released in 2008, had an 18-bit panel

lmao the iPhone 3G had 18 bits per pixel not 18 bits per color channel you muppet

afaict the iPhone X in 2017 was the first iPhone that supported more than 24 bit color, Apple is remarkably silent on this topic.

nvidia added HDR to the GTX 900 series in 2014, AMD added it to the RX 400 in 2016, and I think Intel also added it in 2016

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Manzoon posted:

Someone smarter than me please tell me why I can just change the file extension of a webp to jpg and it just works. What is being lost if anything in rendering that?

you can change the extension and it will work because whatever you're using to view it is reading the file's header instead of its extension to figure out what it is. if you open up a webp (or a jpeg) in a hex editor, you can see this at the beginning of the file. the sequence is the same for every image encoded with either codec, it identifies the format

some codecs (like jpeg2000 or HEIC) use the mp4 container though. that has a common header too of course, but there are internal data structures called "atoms" within the container that indicate what the format is. you can extract the image data as a raw bitstream too but depending on what format you're talking about, that might not be readable in (m)any viewer programs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

lmao the iPhone 3G had 18 bits per pixel not 18 bits per color channel you muppet

afaict the iPhone X in 2017 was the first iPhone that supported more than 24 bit color, Apple is remarkably silent on this topic.

nvidia added HDR to the GTX 900 series in 2014, AMD added it to the RX 400 in 2016, and I think Intel also added it in 2016

yeah iphone os used 24-bit color and the display dithered that to 18-bits. so?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Beeftweeter posted:

webp sucks rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

high precision color was invented for print 30 years ago, it's super easy to see banding in gradients if you only have 256 levels on a 17 inch wide spread [there were also a lot of tricks with dithering and custom halftones that helped]. hdr on screens is more recent and has just inherited a lot of that logic and terminology but it's confusing because screens and paper don't work the same at all

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i absolutely do not give a poo poo about file formats i never use

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i miss my codec warrior gang tag :smith:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

entirely related i hate how

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

there weren't really specs for what we call HDR today back then, but that doesn't mean there wasn't support for it in hardware or software. qirex's post is a good example,

CRTs certainly supported 32-bit color, even back then (and way before). around 2010 finding a pro level LCD monitor with a 24- or 16-bit panel wasn't that hard. even extremely cheap ones were 14- or 12-bit, claimed to be 16-bit and just dithered it down. i mean, finding an explicitly 8-bit panel would probably have been more difficult than finding one with a higher color depth

like for example the iphone 3g, released in 2008, had an 18-bit panel

i think y'all might be talking past each other here cuz i don't think anyone was actually arguing that technology in 2010 had nothing better than 8 bit / 256 color mode

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I get it now, it is clear to me.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mediaphage posted:

i absolutely do not give a poo poo about file formats i never use

here is a 16-bit HDR JPEG XL i took

lol chromium? here's an AVIF

i will never use webp

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok but what if you post it on reddit and it gets converted for you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

ok but what if you post it on reddit and it gets converted for you

well thats similar to webp usage. i will never post on reddit

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

you know what i’m going to be the bigger poster here.

i’m sorry i implied that you’d post on reddit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

i will never use webp

i took a picture of the same area from roughly the same position when i had a business trip there but mine came out much worse, who should i curse for my bad photo skills

is it google, i think i'll just curse google

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

i took a picture of the same area from roughly the same position when i had a business trip there but mine came out much worse, who should i curse for my bad photo skills

just blame those drat canadians burning too many trees.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

that is a processed version of this stack of exposures: https://archive.org/details/1170158-hdr (not a direct link but i'll still throw in a warning: 39 MB 16-bit PNG). the AVIF is actually smaller than the JXL, but they were both output by lightroom so i didn't have much granularity over the settings

anyway there is a lot that can go wrong with taking a photo, so it depends on what you mean by "worse", but it's always safe to curse google. especially if you were using a google pixel phone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Beeftweeter posted:

i will never use webp

neither of these embeds work on chredge.

anyway all of these formats are stupid. there is no reason to change away from jpeg and png. oh booo hoo they're marginally larger than this new format. well guess what it's 2024 and we have gigabit internet on our phones and websites are all loading 15 megs of advertising spyware up front anyway. an extra 100 kb across all the image elements on the site is literally meaningless

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

two goddamn pages of file format whining

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yospos bicth

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

art needs at least 12 bits per channel.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

neither of these embeds work on chredge.

anyway all of these formats are stupid. there is no reason to change away from jpeg and png. oh booo hoo they're marginally larger than this new format. well guess what it's 2024 and we have gigabit internet on our phones and websites are all loading 15 megs of advertising spyware up front anyway. an extra 100 kb across all the image elements on the site is literally meaningless

nope

JPEG is an extremely limited format that should have died in 2000 when its designated replacement arrived. PNG is still ok but there are better alternatives today, although webp is not one of them

overall i think some (HEIC, AVIF, JXL) of the new formats are good. like i literally can't encode the picture i posted in JPEG, it just doesn't have the required dynamic range. it's a deceptively complex image because of the way i processed it: the expanded dynamic range adds to a sense that you're viewing the scene as it appeared, in a way that isn't possible in SDR. the individual exposures that i merged to create it would be either too dark or too bright, and a tonemapped SDR conversion looks like, well, a tonemapped conversion. in comparison most people would not know that they are looking at a HDR image, yet it's obvious if you know what to look for (mainly, detail in shadowed or bright areas). of course, the unprocessed PNG i posted has all of those details, but they need to be revealed with some editing. that wouldn't be possible if i had saved it as a JPEG instead, they'd be gone.

if you want to see what it would look like unprocessed, here's archive.org's thumbnail of the PNG:

not that you can make much out from a tiny, poorly compressed thumbnail but you should at least be able to tell that the wood towards the fore is basically dark. on the full 39 MB image, you can't make out much detail there. that's very obviously not so for the HDR examples i posted and, as an immediately identifiable difference, makes it a good test. there's less obvious but abundant detail in the buildings surrounding the WTC that would get lost too

but anyway to get back to webp being a dumb piece of poo poo format: it isn't much more capable than the original version of JPEG beyond being able to do RGBA, and it's actually worse than JPEG if you don't — webp is otherwise limited to yuv420, and even JPEG can do yuv444. and any difference in compression ratio is negligible.

those shortcomings don't apply for the HEVC-based formats, AVIF or JPEG XL, and if your browser wasn't a piece of poo poo you probably wouldn't even know i had used them

tl;dr: hdr rules webp drools

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

16 million colors ought to be enough for anybody

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Las Vegas Sphere reports $98.4 million loss; CFO quits
:discourse:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are they still paying off a loan they took out to build it or something or is it just that expensive to operate?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the las vegas grand prix had to take out a whole grandstand because they tried charging too much for it so nobody bought tickets. it's going to be a shitshow financially and probably a bad race that will be on at 7am on sunday for most of europe

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wait, is it THAT james dolan? lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

nudgenudgetilt posted:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
instagram is asking thirteen euros for its new eu ad free experience

at that price, no one is going to buy it, which i suppose is the point

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

quote:

The New York Post reported Tuesday that Ranji suddenly quit after a bout of yelling and screaming from CEO James Dolan.

lmao i hope this james guy eats poo poo and ends up bankrupt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

lmao i hope this james guy eats poo poo and ends up bankrupt

monitor

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol the mystery ai pin is as dumb as we all expected

quote:

What they show is that Humane, the company noisily promoting a world after smartphones, is about to launch what amounts to a $699 wearable smartphone without a screen that has a $24-a-month subscription fee and runs on a Humane-branded version of T-Mobile’s network with access to AI models from Microsoft and OpenAI.

The Pin itself is a square device that magnetically clips to your clothes or other surfaces. The clip is more than just a magnet, though; it’s also a battery pack, which means you can swap in new batteries throughout the day to keep the Pin running. We don’t know how long a single battery lasts, but the device ships with two “battery boosters.” It’s powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and uses a camera, depth, and motion sensors to track and record its surroundings. It has a built-in speaker, which Humane calls a “personic speaker,” and can connect to Bluetooth headphones.
this will sell great to the kinds of propeller beanie dorks who buy folding smartphones then vanish forever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo that's dumb

*turns monitor on*

that too

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

the las vegas grand prix had to take out a whole grandstand because they tried charging too much for it so nobody bought tickets. it's going to be a shitshow financially and probably a bad race that will be on at 7am on sunday for most of europe

all the work that they are doing for this made driving around vegas even more of a shitshow than it normally is

anyway how could U2 not bring in the money they needed to pay off the sphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

well i guess humane is about as humane as openai is open