Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internet Old One posted:

What’s that from?
I wouldn’t try it unless you’ve been trained on it but high velocity water fog is an acceptable agent for extinguishing a class bravo fire. So I don’t know that this is a myth or that you even need that much water.

every episode of mythbusters has a detailed breakdown of myths, experiments, and outcomes, because wikipedia

the missing context is that the myth was about casual kitching firefighting and what you might have on hand that you could reach for in an emergency, and "not water" is a completely suitable answer there

Midjack posted:

mythbusters devolved into ridiculous excess and gratuitous use of explosives after the first few seasons.

yeah they ran out of actual urban legends pretty quickly so by the end it was half "what would happen if you did this movie scene in real life" and half "here's a thinly veiled excuse to stage a huge explosion or some kind of gun-firing machine" (there is a lot of overlap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well also every myth they did had two parts: first to see if the scenario was plausible as described, then to find the conditions under which it could be true.

e.g. is it true that you can be decapitated by jumping into a ceiling fan? (no). okay, under what conditions could you be decapitated by a ceiling fan? (grind the blades razor sharp, power it with a lawnmower engine, fire the crash test dummy into it from a spring loaded chair)

hence dumping water on a grease fire from a helicopter

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, half of what makes it good TV even after the first couple seasons is the fact that they suddenly could just do whatever they wanted to try to replicate impossible conditions for a myth to happen. the cement truck explosion is like that. can a stick of dynamite remove a layer of hardened concrete from a cement mixer? yes, so long as the layer isn't more than half an inch thick or so. can it remove a hardened slab from the bottom of the mixer barrel? no. how much would you need? enough to rupture the barrel. gently caress it, we've got a non-functional cement truck in an abandoned quarry and it'll be easier to take it out as shrapnel, let's vaporize the sucker

then they canned the build team in like season 9 or whatever and it lost its charm and it ended pretty quickly after that

the other half of what makes it good is the narrator absolutely selling those drat puns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think the cement truck myth started out as a story about A Guy who thought he'd try to remove the hardened cement from inside his mixer with dynamite, so he tossed a lit stick inside, hid behind a rock and set it off, and when he got up to look, the cement truck was VAPORIZED!!!

so after finding that one stick of dynamite wouldn't do that, so they had to determine under what conditions you could vaporize a cement truck.

hence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IcHUHRf_S0

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 8, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
and it still wasn’t as destroyed as the car they obliterated with rocket sled at mach 1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
based on the behind the scenes stuff i've seen of mythbusters, it seems like most of the bad choices were on the producers

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Producers hosed with everything regarding Mythbusters from the moment the show become popular. They had luck that both Adam and Jamie were professionals through and through. Even that pairing of them as friends was to boost views

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, in reality they respect each other's work and some of the banter was genuine but they aren't friends at all

iirc jamie once said he wouldn't be able to work with adam if they *were* capable of being friends, and having spent the better part of the last three years watching adam do stuff for fun on youtube I can completely understand that. dude is just so much more relaxed than analytical

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

jamie seems like a decent guy but i get the feeling he would be an absolute chore to be around

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i get powerful libertarian vibes from jamie. i have nothing to base this on other than my gut, though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In one extreme instance of self-censorship, the team explored an urban legend stating that a widely available material could be used to create an explosive. To their surprise, the seemingly unlikely legend proved true, but the material was so easy to obtain, and the resulting explosion so powerful, that the production team decided allowing such information to reach the general public would be irresponsible, instead electing to destroy all footage of the experiment and agreeing never to speak of the incident.
:tinfoil:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they had to destroy footage from testing the myth that "the cardboard box is healthier for you than the sugary cereal" because they gave one lab mouse sugary cereal, one regular food, and one cardboard for a testing period, and at the end of it when they started to mingle again, the cardboard-fed mouse ate the other two :black101:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

In 2006, the National Review named "Capitalism" as one of the "50 greatest conservative rock songs."[12] It is featured in the 2005 film Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The team were inspired after reading an awkward phrase on Michael Jordan's Wikipedia page about the fan debate over whether or not the movie Space Jam was canon - the line made unclear whether the film’s canonicity was being considered in regards to the Looney Tunes series proper or to Michael Jordan's life in general.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Police and workmen removed approximately 120 tons of valuables, junk and other items from the Collyer brownstone.[40] Items were removed from the house such as baby carriages, a doll carriage, rusted bicycles, old food, potato peelers, a collection of guns, glass chandeliers, bowling balls, camera equipment, the folding top of a horse-drawn carriage, a sawhorse, three body forms, painted portraits, photos of pin-up girls from the early 1900s, plaster busts, Mrs. Collyer's hope chests, rusty bed springs, the kerosene stove, a child's chair (the brothers were lifelong bachelors and childless), more than 25,000 books (including thousands about medicine and engineering and more than 2,500 on law), human organs pickled in jars,[22] eight live cats, the chassis of the old Model T with which Langley had been tinkering, tapestries, hundreds of yards of unused silks and other fabrics, clocks, fourteen pianos (both grand and upright),[40] a clavichord, two organs, banjos, violins, bugles, accordions, a gramophone and records, and countless bundles of newspapers and magazines, some of them decades old, and thousands of bottles and tin cans and a great deal of garbage.[24][45]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Delamere first travelled to East Africa in 1891 for lion hunting and returned yearly to resume the hunt. In 1894, he was mauled by a lion.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Hasbulla

Not to be confused with Hezbollah

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ColTim posted:

Police and workmen removed approximately 120 tons of valuables, junk and other items from the Collyer brownstone.[40] Items were removed from the house such as baby carriages, a doll carriage, rusted bicycles, old food, potato peelers, a collection of guns, glass chandeliers, bowling balls, camera equipment, the folding top of a horse-drawn carriage, a sawhorse, three body forms, painted portraits, photos of pin-up girls from the early 1900s, plaster busts, Mrs. Collyer's hope chests, rusty bed springs, the kerosene stove, a child's chair (the brothers were lifelong bachelors and childless), more than 25,000 books (including thousands about medicine and engineering and more than 2,500 on law), human organs pickled in jars,[22] eight live cats, the chassis of the old Model T with which Langley had been tinkering, tapestries, hundreds of yards of unused silks and other fabrics, clocks, fourteen pianos (both grand and upright),[40] a clavichord, two organs, banjos, violins, bugles, accordions, a gramophone and records, and countless bundles of newspapers and magazines, some of them decades old, and thousands of bottles and tin cans and a great deal of garbage.[24][45]

this article is a pro read

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

In one extreme instance of self-censorship, the team explored an urban legend stating that a widely available material could be used to create an explosive. To their surprise, the seemingly unlikely legend proved true, but the material was so easy to obtain, and the resulting explosion so powerful, that the production team decided allowing such information to reach the general public would be irresponsible, instead electing to destroy all footage of the experiment and agreeing never to speak of the incident.
:tinfoil:

well now i wanna know what it was

e: oh i'm gonna guess nitrogen trichloride

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 10, 2023

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The film has since become a cult classic,[8] especially among Zillennials, and helped define the "Tumblr era" in the early 2010s.[9]

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
In 1930, large numbers of Jake users began to find they were unable to use their hands and feet.[8]

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ColTim posted:

In 1930, large numbers of Jake users began to find they were unable to use their hands and feet.[8]
jake leg is no joke

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

well now i wanna know what it was

e: oh i'm gonna guess nitrogen trichloride

My guess was acetone peroxide.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Adonizedek was portrayed by Actor and Bolsonaro's once Secretary of Culture Mário Frias in the Brazilian soap opera A Terra Prometida, in it Adonizedek is portrayed as an arrogant king later revealed to be sadistic as well by keeping and talking to his mother and wife skeletons.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The film has since become a cult classic,[8] especially among Zillennials, and helped define the "Tumblr era" in the early 2010s.[9]

Yes, this. This is truly worthless

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pope Francis worked as a nightclub bouncer in Buenos Aires while a university student

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I'm the lady with the neck butthole

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Stack Machine posted:

also called APEX and mother of Satan :black101:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stack Machine posted:

tatp is the easy one, yes.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the portrait of Jim Blinn on his page

Computer science wiki portraits: often risible

Book covers can be quite nice though (it’s a book about hiding a kitten from the landlord)

The Killing Jelq fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 12, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The show currently has a 14% rating on Rotten Tomatoes,[22] wherein critics describe it as "psychological torture" and "Freudian Horror".

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

i think many of these are really stretching it but also i live in the year 2023 instead of year 0 and the bright thing i look at at night is „phone” so maybe my pareidolia just isn’t up to snuff

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"Mineral oil", sold widely and cheaply in the United States, is not sold as such in the United Kingdom. Instead, British pharmacologists use the terms "paraffinum perliquidum" for light mineral oil and "paraffinum liquidum" or "paraffinum subliquidum" for somewhat more viscous varieties.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Redemption arcs are incorporated within McDonaldland media. Grimace, a purple monster, was originally an antagonist that stole beverages and shakes from customers, but has since become a good guy.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

didn't realize grimace was part of the ftx polycule, why didn't we see him on the stand at sbf's trial?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Midjack posted:

didn't realize grimace was part of the ftx polycule, why didn't we see him on the stand at sbf's trial?

you got it wrong, thats elon musk on the right and grimace on the left

a picture from happier times

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The film begins with Sallah Shabati, a Mizrahi Jewish immigrant, arriving in Israel by plane with his family: very pregnant wife, ancient female relative and seven children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The black cover reflects this installment's "darker", "more serious" tone.