Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

You can request a country share an institution. 10/10 goty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Oh yeah Korea is super easy. It's <100 years in and I've got all of Manchuria, Beijing, two/thirds of Japan, and the Mingsplosion has happened. My only limiting factor is admin points because I'm doing Humanist ideas right now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Groke posted:

Oh, and if you haven't done a Teutonic Order -> Holy Horde run I would recommend that. It's both hilarious and ridiculous once you get going.

Well there seems to be a skill issue cause I'm stuck as Livonian order. I guess befriend Teutonic Order mission is a trap because they have that Danzig disaster and Poland gets involved. I had grabbed 5 Novgorod provinces at the right time, but after that I'm not in a great situation. Danish too had got some parts of Rus and I wanted to beat it out of them, but then Poland threatened me to white peace, first time O see AI do that to me.

Also Livonian order has that bishop confederacy in the beginning and it turned out to be a really small issue compared to external situation.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yeah subjugating the teutons is better

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Anyway I've squeezed my way out of this by quickly paying Drezden some money and dropping out of the war of Teutons & Me VS Drezden, Poland and Lithuania. Now that Poland doesn't hate any of my friends I managed to secure an alliance with it and things are looking much better.

Now I stare at that mission tree and wonder how else can you manage this situation. I understand Drezden disaster is a given for AI TO, and in any case Poland will antagonize TO, and I can't imagine anyone helping in a fight against Poland. Muscowy hates me and to befriend it you probably have to not get opportunistic on Novgorod and have Muscowite cores. Probably have to restart till you get a really unlucky Poland or take a hundred loans and fight that uphill battle together with TO ASAP.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Korea is terrifying these days. Large army that fights well, will walk across Asia to fight wars in Europe. In my Kandy game I gave Ming a little push to trigger them imploding (which I now regret because it would have been nice to use them as a piggybank / Power Projection farm, but oh well). Now the shambling corpse of Ming is allied to Korea so I cant go take Canton from them (to TC it to get another merchant and funnel more money to Malacca). I mean I could but its a hellwar that will distract me from taking more of India so I guess I'll have to go without it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Finland posted:

Korea is terrifying these days. Large army that fights well, will walk across Asia to fight wars in Europe. In my Kandy Finland game I gave Ming a little push to trigger them imploding (which I now regret because it would have been nice to use them as a piggybank / Power Projection farm, but oh well). Now the shambling corpse of Ming is allied to Korea so I cant go take Canton from them (to TC it to get another merchant and funnel more money to Malacca). I mean I could but its a hellwar that will distract me from taking more of India so I guess I'll have to go without it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Lol this is the first time I’ve ever seen an institution spawn outside of Europe, and manufacturies spawned in Korea.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the new byz government has a funny strat to pass hre reforms really fast. Since it spawns pretender rebels every time you get a new ruler, you just let the pretenders win, which gives you a new ruler, re-elects you for 10 imperial authority, and then spawns new rebels. Only hiccup is that the electors won't be voting for you if you don't have an heir so you need to farm prestige to be able to press the introduce heir button before the rebels win

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Getting back into the game after about 2 years gone. Any good DLC that is worth getting? I heard there's some new mission trees for Muscovy/Russia and the Baltics, too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still can't manage the Byzantium start.

However, I might be able to form Persia...

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
The Persia tree is a long one. The final stretches are you or your ally have to own canton, beijing, and nanjing. Don't be like me and think you can just ally the countries with those provinces. Nope one single country has to own all 3. So you can't just ally Shun, Yue, Wu or whoever is around after a mingsplosion. Then you have to own all of Anatolia, a bite size chunk of europe, and the majority of the levant region. So if you want to complete the tree plan ahead for it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't tried it myself but I think people are saying it's easier to have your second war (after epirus) be against naples instead of the ottomans. That's dependent on the rng of aragon giving them up at a convenient moment so you can declare before they get allies, though

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still can't manage the Byzantium start.

However, I might be able to form Persia...

Delightfully devilish, Seleucus.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Sephyr posted:

Getting back into the game after about 2 years gone. Any good DLC that is worth getting? I heard there's some new mission trees for Muscovy/Russia and the Baltics, too.

Basically all the DLCs lately were flavor packs, so pick the ones that fancy you. Leviathan also adds a general feature, great projects.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Persia has a new mechanic (and new currency, of course!) where you get countries into your sphere of influence (sort of powered down tributaries), influence them to change to Persian culture, then upgrade them to full vassals. Got small OPMs but also a full AQ, big Hormuz, a dying Timurids... The mission tree is also quite fun.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

State of the World, 1725

Thinking of Economics/Trade as my final idea groups but I'm economic hegemon so I don't really need more money. I don't really need any more military ideas - +30% infantry combat ability and +25% cavalry combat ability already melts my enemies. Russia always just needs a tiny push and then I can just march straight to Moscow.

I've got Shu in my borders as Chinese emperor. Still debating what to do there. Mandate could gently caress me if I don't have enough tributaries, and it's unlikely I'll be making Russia one without cutting it down a bit more first. I'm also not done expanding - I want at least SE Asia and probably India and as many of the Indian/Pacific Ocean islands if I can grab them.

edit: went Diplomatic so I could take more land in peace deals and I guess I'll go espionage because Decca and Malacca have a ton of forts and I need that siege ability.

edit 2: Decca's kicking my rear end! I've got more manpower than them and can go all day but even with higher discipline and morale, with full front and back lines and I'm losing in even numbers. It's a grind to wear them down to the point where I can just auto-siege.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 8, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

So I learned last night, that Influence + Merc ideas give a policy, that lets you make client states super early.

I don't normally like mercs, but that might be my most favourite thing now. :stare:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Doing an Ardabil-Persia/Eranshahr game with the new dlc. Dunno how Ismail I managed to convince a bunch of Turkic Shia zealots to commit apostasy and convert to a dying religion but I guess that's why he's a 5/6/5. Just beat the gently caress out of the Ottomans and took Constantinople with the help of a mega-Commonwealth, leading to Austria-Hungary, Kazan (which owns most of Russia, Muscovy is their vassal) the Mamluks and Venice all declare their own wars after I was done. You have to say, you love to see it.

While creating a new Zoroastrian community is fun, it's annoying that you have to make 15 of them. Austria released Crimea who I was able to convert and vassalize and should be a decent March alongside Astrakhan, but the rest are Arabian nations who I definitely want to conquer.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It feels like the invite to community interaction should really be usable on vassals, as yeah, most countries small enough to accept it are in the path of your mission-tree conquest of all of the middle east + Asia + Egypt + balkans.

Persia's cool, though. I'm not sure if the optimum is to stick to the Persian ideas or switch to the Eranshahr ones. You get enough military buffs and trade income that you can clown on everyone either way once you get really rolling.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ah, seems I need to get the latest DLC to get the new mission trees, and not just the update.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah the dlc is the mission trees, basically

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It’s 1500, I just formed Persia as Ajam and I chose the Zoroastrian path.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

It’s 1500, I just formed Persia as Ajam and I chose the Zoroastrian path.

Humata, Hūxta, Huvarshta

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

I would recommend using the $5/month subscription that they offer. You get access to ALL content from every DLC for $5/month. I'm only 3 DLCs behind but I'm considering getting it instead of paying $50+ for each of the DLCs that I am missing.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Harmonized with eight religions, had 135% ship durability, and had every Eastern religious province in my nation.

Final Korea borders from my game. A really fun run! I ended up with over 9,000 development. By the end I had enough monarch points to buy tech 11 years ahead of time and I'd develop an entire state up to 30+ dev and then I'd look and I"d still have enough to buy the tech. Amazing. I could have broken 10k, maybe 11k, development if I hadn't bought any tech before getting the neighbor bonus. The Korea region had each province more developed than Beijing. Really makes me wish the auto-exporter to Victoria 3 was better because I'd like to continue this game there but the exporter is still so janky.

I wish India hadn't coalesced into one great power because the hell wars were really annoying, especially when I used the Imperialism CB and their capital was just stuck in the middle of the subcontinent, surrounded by forts upon forts. I also wish Malacca didn't have a fort every province. Made getting the last Buddhist province from them a pain in the rear end.

I'm doing a France game next. I know everyone's focus is on the middle east because that's the latest DLC for this game but I haven't played France in a few years. Definitely before the revolutionary zeal mechanic was introduced. What's the process for going revolutionary nowadays?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 9, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would recommend using the $5/month subscription that they offer. You get access to ALL content from every DLC for $5/month. I'm only 3 DLCs behind but I'm considering getting it instead of paying $50+ for each of the DLCs that I am missing.

That's not bad advice, but 3 US dollars a month is a decent bit of money here and likely could be more with the shaky exchange rate. I'll wait for a sale.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

France you might have wanted to sit this one out

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

That's not bad advice, but 3 US dollars a month is a decent bit of money here and likely could be more with the shaky exchange rate. I'll wait for a sale.
Oh absolutely, I'll probably buy the older DLCs when they go on sale too. I was just saying that in case you want to see what some of the stuff in the DLCs do before you use it, or dont think it would be worth the money for all the DLC if you might quit again after a month.

Firebatgyro posted:

I love that you have a concurrent war with the Ottomans that you are also winning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Firebatgyro posted:

I had a fun one last night where emperor Ansbach declared for the lowlands against a recovered Byz, loyal Burgundy, Austria with Hungary, and Muscovy. Faithful Salzburg answered Ansbach's call to arms.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe it's good that a war target's allies don't have a "nah man are you kidding, we're gonna fuckin lose" malus

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How do you even do the Zoro-Austrian achievement?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

How do you even do the Zoro-Austrian achievement?

I'm planning on conquering most of the iranian culture provinces, revoking, handing off basically all of my euro land, firing off Zoro zealots and having them flip me, and then culture swapping to whichever of the correct cultures has the most dev and forming Persia.

I'm sure the transition will be a bit messy but no one is going to gently caress with a revoked HRE so who cares.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm now stuck between superpowers, gonna be a hard expansion...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got crushed by giga-Ottoman.

Maybe I should have tried Timurid.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Yazd acquired and still Zoroastrian. Now time to speed run some revoking.

Going to have to watch the replay on wtf happened here.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I thought people exaggerate how ridiculous mission trees can get. But here I am, playing the Livonian Order in a casual unplanned way and it's very easy to get so many powerful permanent modifiers. More importantly, you can get permanent claims on the whole drat Russia region. Combined with conversion bonuses it gets ridiculous. Right now I'm a few years after Global Trade had spawned and I've unlocked manpower manufacture, I need ten of those to unlock what seems to be a version of Prussian militarization - not that the game tells it straight, it says I'll just get some event. I am not even close to getting all the permanent modifiers. I think this is too much.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That DLC's has some general issues with power spikes. I know you want some fancy toys with your DLC, but the historical aspect is completely thrown out the window, when the Teutons turn into a horde and Denmark does anything but lose.

Like CK3, they're very eager to turn things a bit.. memey.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Played a bit more of Livonian Order. It rapidly pushes me into "MTs are evil camp".

I don't mind Great Projects. They provide new strategic considerations, give you more visible reasons for unconventional directions (usually change religion or culture, which knowledgeable players could do for MTs or special government or something else you can't plan without prior knowledge so casual player would rarely do that) even if they allow player to snowball even harder. I like some flavorful missions. Livonian Order had a cool mission asking you to have 4 forts around the capital - something you would not want to do in a normal game - and turns them into superforts. It's not too OP and it creates an interesting place on a map. Temporary modifiers telling you that now is a great time to focus on war/buildings/whatever are cool too, they might make you think of where to activate the reward. They feel good.

But then Livonian Order is full of mission that reward you for doing sensible things by making you win harder. Permanent claims on whole Russia is ridiculous, but then you get empire rank and Prussian Militarization for building manpower buildings. This comes with governance penalty, but still. It's not like I'm a hardcore player who needs a challenge, it's likely I won't even be able to complete the MT cause one of the missions seems to literally be control all of the Catholic world. But these powerful permanent modifiers and special reforms really devalue my conscious choices. I took some religious ideas cause I foresaw a lot of conversion work but I might have as well ignored it because of a lot of bonuses I get to conversion. I've played several games of I:R Invictus mod that adds a lot of unique missions and decisions and I expected it too be something like that, add cool modifiers for Uber Spartan Warriors or something, but it's quite sensible, and these missions are usually more like an investment opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The reality is though most people will never play the Livonian Order and the game is coming to the end of its lifecycle. They seem to see these things as a reward to the fans as much as anything.