Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Piggy Smalls posted:

Amazing! How did you do it?

I've lost a similar amount, and more important kept it off. My own advice would be, here quoting myself from way earlier in this thread.

quote:

I was 213lbs (5' 11") last year, and decided with the whole getting older thing, and Covid being much worse for bigger people it was time to drop some weight.

So I went on what i've I been calling a health kick rather than a diet on June 1st last year.

Cut out all sweet stuff totally, chocolate, cake, etc etc. Apart from some modest consumption over Xmas, had nothing for a year.

Combined with slightly smaller portions for meals and upping my exercise levels. Both biking and walking.

So 1 year anniversary coming up a week today and I'm down to175lbs, so 38lbs lost more or less.

Thing is, it hasn't even been that hard a regime to follow, because I'm not trying to lose weight at an insane rate, or follow some impossible to stick to diet. I've even allowed myself a few beers once a week for sanity's sake.

I would strongly advise people to take a similar approach of no more than 1lb a week* (or less as I did), rather than putting yourself through some hell-diet for 3 months, then rebounding the weight afterwards. Make it a lifestyle change.

* If you're starting from superheavy you may easily make big gains at first obviously, that's fine.

Down to 161 since I originally wrote that, more importantly, been maintaining that. I cannot emphasise the 'permanent lifestyle change' part enough. Most people bounce back, because they revert to their old habits, you can't do that. Your post weight loss diet and routine needs to be substantially similar to your weight loss routine. A little more relaxed obviously since you're maintaining rather than losing, but you can't let your guard down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Piggy Smalls posted:

Amazing! How did you do it?

I count my calories as closely as possible. I work in construction so I get a lot of physical activity during the day, negating the need for a gym membership. Basically just do everything in this Good Post:

Peggy Edson posted:

I lost 40 pounds in 2019 and another 17 this year. Gimmick diets are bullshit. Losing weight is about changing your lifestyle and sustaining it. And literally it is calories in vs calories out. I workout 4 days a week at home and have gotten stronger slowly over the years to the point I need heavier weights.

Start by observing your eating habits. Then see if you can stop eating when you're at that "starting to feel full" stage. Then begin peppering in a healthy meal. Ramp this up as much as you can but don't cut the garbage food completely. Cut snacking to a minimum and measure out a serving then put the package away. Give yourself breaks and allow bad days to be ok. Watch the weight melt off and your body get strong and fit with the workouts. Get use to your mind screaming at you to Just Eat A Little More, It's Fine. Try to replace the snack cravings with fruit or low calorie stuff like popcorn and pretzels.

Obviously, you have to have the will power and actually want to make the changes for any of this to work. But it can be done.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I've be been yoyo-ing all my life. At my heaviest I was 150 kg. I was just 15 at that time. As an adult I've been mostly stable around 115-120. I dipped just below 100 a few years ago just by cutting all snacks and by always eating less than half of what I felt like (and never a second portion). And also by dating. A lot.

Bounced back, naturally. But since May I've made a conscious effort to get back into a healthy(ish) lifestyle, and I'm currently at 108. I do intermittent fasting, which has helped me mainly by making me more cognizant of what and when I eat.

My skin has lost all its elasticity. The sagginess and unevenness bothers me a lot. The healthcare system here might grant me a tummy tuck but one of the requirements is reaching and for six months maintaining a "normal" BMI of 25. That's around 86 kg in my case, me being 186 cm. I'm a pretty beefy guy, broad-shouldered, etc. I'll have to lose more than just fat to achieve a BMI of 25. Which sucks. Bad.
Part of me is very curious how I'm gonna look when I'm a skeleton draped in a coat of loose skin.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

After some time going without, I was finally able to see my endocrinologist and get my Wegovy dose upped. Now I'm on the 1.7mg, and I was able to get my RX filled in under 24 hours from when the doctor put it in. This was a huge relief after spending four weeks calling the pharmacy every 2-3 days, only to get told that the order has been delayed by another 2-3 days.

The come-down wasn't quite as bad as I feared, but it is noticeable. That kind of intense, chewing-on-your-cheeks hunger that I'd felt for decades and always considered normal before Wegovy was creeping back in. The total number of calories eaten definitely climbed a lot during this time, and some weight came with it. Fortunately, the damage was minimal and I expect to be back on track quite quickly now. Average weight for July is up just over 5 lbs from June, but still down 43 pounds for the year.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I haven't weighed myself in a while but I started doing a modified one punch man workout of no squats (so my hair doesn't fall out), 100 push-ups and 100 pull ups every day during the week. 5 sets of 20 and 20 sets of 5 respectively. My hands look like I put them in a garbage disposal but the routine is melting some other fat. This is in conjuction with climbing for an hour and running for a half hour but then I'm still eating bowls of frosted mini wheats at 1am and donuts so i'm not where I should be but at least I'm getting way stronger.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

anatomi posted:

My skin has lost all its elasticity. The sagginess and unevenness bothers me a lot. The healthcare system here might grant me a tummy tuck but one of the requirements is reaching and for six months maintaining a "normal" BMI of 25. That's around 86 kg in my case, me being 186 cm. I'm a pretty beefy guy, broad-shouldered, etc. I'll have to lose more than just fat to achieve a BMI of 25. Which sucks. Bad.
Part of me is very curious how I'm gonna look when I'm a skeleton draped in a coat of loose skin.

Lol yep I carried 80% of the weight in my belly and still have the loose skin there. It hangs when I'm doing planks lmao. Fortunately everywhere else has tightened up nicely. I'll probably just live with it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've lost 20 pounds since mid April! My secrets: Reduced portion sizes, intermittent fasting AND a full fast day one day a week, and tons and tongs of working out.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I've lost 20 pounds since mid April! My secrets: Reduced portion sizes, intermittent fasting AND a full fast day one day a week, and tons and tongs of working out.

working out is so ftw. in fact i worked out today

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

working out is so ftw. in fact i worked out today

you should get metolius rock rings bro. i am loving them and they're like $40

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
USD

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

you should get metolius rock rings bro. i am loving them and they're like $40

ive got a pretty dece hangboard at home. i started lifting too so i have a powerlifting/barbell routine, route climbing sessions, then home hang boarding sessions. feels great

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Anyone recommend a good scale? One that can connect to apple health preferably. Is it a gimmick that these scales are supposed to measure body fat and lean muscle and other stuff?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i like a good double beam myself. all time classic. dont trust a load cell with their transducer measuring electric resistance fuckery. give me a good old mechanical lever. never needs calibrating

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've got a renpho that can connect to your Bluetooth or home wifi that I'm pretty sure has installed all hella kinds of malware on everything I own but it's pretty cool and tells you about your bones and stuff idk if it's true or not but it tells you it

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like this one cause it tells me how jacked I'm getting

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nooner posted:

I've got a renpho that can connect to your Bluetooth or home wifi that I'm pretty sure has installed all hella kinds of malware on everything I own but it's pretty cool and tells you about your bones and stuff idk if it's true or not but it tells you it

I have one too. Great scale. And as far as I know very accurate.

Now that the cold time is starting here where I live I have to be very careful with my cravings. Last night went to Ono Hawaiian and downed a whole Hawaiian beef plate with rice and macaroni. I gobbled the whole thing down and am. It looking forward to weighing myself.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

redshirt posted:

What's the best angle to reduced portion sizes?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

weigh your food

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I just think about how much I'd like to heap on the plate and take half of that. And never a second serving.

Edit: I'm now at 220, which means I've lost about 36 lbs since May. Rate of loss has slowed down a bit.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Smaller plates

A good tip that works for me is preceding meals w a protein shake. Theyre only 100kcal & 25g pro (assuming you do water like me) but more importantly it fills me up more than you’d think and makes eating less food at mealtime a cinch.

Protein shakes in general are pretty handy, don’t think of them as being exclusively for bodybuilders or for building muscle. They’re quick, convenient, and cost effective sources of protein, same as a chicken breast or eggs .. adding 1-2 shakes in between meals will help most people eat less without trying.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

When preparing my food, I always use a kitchen scale and use it to calculate the total amount of calories of an ingredient, and then just adjust how much of it I'll be using. Definitely helped me eat smaller portions when I realized just how much calories I was devouring for dinner every day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everyone's advice is good, but I just try for "common sense". I'd normally have 4 slices of pizza, I'll have 3 instead. Two hamburgers becomes one, with a side salad. Etc.

The best part of this "trick" is you can still eat what you want, just eat less of it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Everyone's advice is good, but I just try for "common sense". I'd normally have 4 slices of pizza, I'll have 3 instead. Two hamburgers becomes one, with a side salad. Etc.

The best part of this "trick" is you can still eat what you want, just eat less of it.

This is exactly how I've lost 50 pounds over 4 years. Basically find something that personally helps you eat less op.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

This is exactly how I've lost 50 pounds over 4 years. Basically find something that personally helps you eat less op.

Congrats!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Worst part of losing is weight is I'm so loving cold now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Tell me about it.

"Hmmm, looks like a real 5 layers day tomorrow"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

Worst part of losing is weight is I'm so loving cold now.

otoh, summers are way more attractive when youre less fat.

When i was 220, summer was a sweaty miserable nightmare for me, but winter was fine with a shirt and a sweater.
Then i went down to around 170 and sumemrs were fine, in return i needed an extra layer in winter.

Since ive stopped smoking im back to 220, 225, and im loving glad summer is over again.

As for eating less, try to find something that fills the void the food is leaving.
Im by no means suggesting to pick up smoking, but i know that food is filling the void that cigarettes have left, and i ve not yet found a suitable substitute (that isnt food or drink).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was in Subway today and thought "ahh gently caress I've gained weight, my shirt buttons are straining", but then I realized it's a shirt I bought five years ago and it's one X smaller than my newer shirts.

My diet of "don't eat like a swine anymore" is working!

E: I don't actually have anything to contribute, I was just really glad when I realized it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 12, 2023

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i gotta lose some drat weight but i like sitting on my rear end too much

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i gotta lose some drat weight but i like sitting on my rear end too much

I'm so immensely fat that I sit on my arse all day but still managed to lose some weight by just ditching Hesburger via Foodora. This is probably not helpful.

Now I need to get off my arse to lose a lot more.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Monthly average weight for this month is 61 pounds lower than my monthly average weight from December of last year. I'm basically where I want to be, weight-wise, and now I've got to focus on body composition. It was averaging 38.8% last December to 30% now, and I'm hoping that I can get it down to around 25%. But to do that and keep at my preferred strength levels is going to require stuff like cut/bulk cycles. (So basically cut down from where I am now, then bulk back up to this current weight in a way that is hopefully building more muscle than fat.) Hopefully I'll be able to reach the actual stable point I'm shooting for without having to go through too many of those cycles, because all the weight loss means there's some loose skin to deal with and you have to have been at a very stable weight for at least 6 months before any credible plastic surgeon will see you for a tummy tuck.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Google tells me 61 lbs is about half a kilogram per week. That's impressive and also I think the recommended speed. Good job.

E: oh, a bit more, but still

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's the diet I'd recommend:

16 hour fast, an 8 hour window to eat. Pick your time.

Be reasonable within the eating window, but that said, you really can gorge McDonalds that time if you want to

Reduce portion sizes and portions. Eat whatever you want, just less of it.

Reduce/eliminate sugars - primarily in the form of junk food, soda, candy, etc. Eat all the eggs you want, but not PB Cups.

Exercise to a goal - it's not just about steps or 20 minutes on the treadmill, it's about building to some external goal

Do a full 24-36-48(if you can) fast weekly/biweekly/monthly. You don't have to completely cut off calories. Maybe just a small yogurt in the morning and night, for example, to practice. If you can regularly fast for a day that's a 1-2 pound weight loss right there.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

redshirt posted:

Do a full 24-36-48(if you can) fast weekly/biweekly/monthly. You don't have to completely cut off calories. Maybe just a small yogurt in the morning and night, for example, to practice. If you can regularly fast for a day that's a 1-2 pound weight loss right there.
everyone should find something that works for them personally but this is wacky poo poo that will work for a tiny minority of people. Don't recommend "don't eat for 2 days straight" to people.

feelix fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 13, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

feelix posted:

everyone should find something that works for them personally but this is wacky poo poo that will work for a tiny minority of people. Don't recommend "don't eat for 2 days straight" to people.

48 hours is a lot. Start with 24.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know people who do the "fast 16 hours eat during 8 hours" and none of them have lost any weight. (Anecdotal evidence for sure.)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

redshirt posted:

48 hours is a lot. Start with 24.
This is awful advice, shut the gently caress up

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I know people who do the "fast 16 hours eat during 8 hours" and none of them have lost any weight. (Anecdotal evidence for sure.)
It definitely works for a lot of people, but not for everyone and probably not even the majority. It's not magic but it's far from insane fringe bs like "don't eat for 48 (or even 24) hours"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

feelix posted:

This is awful advice, shut the gently caress up

lol ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gotta go fast.