Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

Stopped clocks etc etc
More like snopped cocks

But let's just say I don't think the MYFAROG critique of the practice has to do with defending bodily integrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's been discussed a few times in the thread: Gloomhaven. One of my friends got it for Christmas last year, so a couple of us have been playing it through 2023. For me, it's....eh. Strategy games can be fun but for me, there's just so much going on in a Gloomhaven game that I always feel like I'm making dumb moves. I do like the ongoing story, though.

Not that it's all that much better, but for me BSG is a much more fun party game.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I've never finished a campaign, and honestly I don't expect to anymore.

Which is why most of the games I've been looking at recently are one-shot friendly, or just solo/journaling stuff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

With the persistent character stuff, and the way my friend wants to play all the time, Gloomhaven is more job than fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Gloomhaven is hella fun but it's definitely a heavy game complexity-wise. My friends are avid d&d players and they struggled quite a bit before developing efficient play habits.

It's a shame the app will forever be stuck with the first edition rules because second edition is a marked improvement in pretty much every regard from what we've seen in previews

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I think most GMs go too big, I aim for a campaign to last 20-40 sessions, depending on how the story arc is in my head.
You try and do a 3 year epic, and people burn out.

My longest complete campaign is a starwars on at about 60 sessions, but it was broken up into 3 "films" with a different campaign in between.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

20-40 sessions seems like a hell-slog of campaign to me. At 10 sessions most people I know are sick of their characters, the ruleset, the setting, or all three.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Given the percentage of the hobby that is D&D, I would say most GMs starting a campaign buy a campaign book and expect to finish that book. If those books are unrealistic in scale that's not really the GM's fault

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

20-40 sessions seems like a hell-slog of campaign to me. At 10 sessions most people I know are sick of their characters, the ruleset, the setting, or all three.
I think your problem is how much can be done in a session, especially if you are doing it online and either have to deal with people writing their actions out OR everyone being on voice chat (but without video) in Discord and having multiple rounds of "I'm sorry? can you say that again? was that my turn?" and time devoured by cross-talk and general hubbub.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

we're going onto session 26 of LMoP for 5e and i think it may be the big final boss fight. there's still a bit of exploring to do after if they want and an addendum so it may go as many as 30 sessions im guessing. this was level 1-5 for these PCs, and the first time the players have played D&D for all of them. but it felt like appropriate length for sure. it took about a year thus far.

all my players except 1 want to keep going with their current characters even. and the one that doesnt just wants to change up her character and continue on as a level 5 onto the next adventure (thinking to run phandelver and below)

i can see that being a long slog if you're the type that hops around from game to game/flavour of the month type stuff tho. its a big world of rpgs these days, lots out there to sample

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Personally I think games tend to get better the longer they go because people are getting more and more depth from their characters because of how long they've been playing them, and the game itself builds up more and more history to draw from. But very long running games are also much harder to do for various reasons, not least of which is the fact that most systems simply can't take it.

Currently 100+ sessions into my Burning Wheel game and going strong.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It’s a very generational thing. Narrative players seem to prefer shorter campaigns because it keeps story beats coming. 5e level tactical players prefer medium length in order to have time to explore character options. OSR players like hundreds of sessions that create their own mythology.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Kestral posted:

Stopped clocks etc etc

No, it's more of an islamophobic and anti-Semitic upset with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm glad I'm playing Gloomhaven but also kind of miffed that I didn't wait until 2nd edition came out cause there's no way we're making the switch

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Colonel Cool posted:

Personally I think games tend to get better the longer they go because people are getting more and more depth from their characters because of how long they've been playing them, and the game itself builds up more and more history to draw from. But very long running games are also much harder to do for various reasons, not least of which is the fact that most systems simply can't take it.

Currently 100+ sessions into my Burning Wheel game and going strong.
This is more or less how I see it as well. Though 100ish is usually my cap, and well if players are getting bored it's the GM's job to speed it up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I run two sessions a month and aim for 6-12 months for most campaigns, depending on how much room the game has for interesting narrative or mechanical development. The last campaign I ran was Band of Blades, which lasted for a ~20 months.

e; oneshots are anywhere between 2 and 10 sessions, depending on whether or not the people playing want to keep playing longer.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 13, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

e; oneshots are anywhere between 2 and 10 sessions, depending on whether or not the people playing want to keep playing longer.

What… hmm.

I’ve never seen anyone refer to a oneshot and not mean “meet once and play a scenario, sometimes we go really slow and have to do it over two days.” What do you call those?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chakan posted:

I’ve never seen anyone refer to a oneshot and not mean “meet once and play a scenario, sometimes we go really slow and have to do it over two days.” What do you call those?

I mean, they obviously stop being a proper oneshot if we keep playing for 10 sessions, and turn into single-arc mini campaigns, or however else you want to describe them.

A single 3-4 hours long session is never enough to explain the system, do character creation, and actually get to play through anything, so my actual oneshots are always 2-3 sessions anyway.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
It's worth mentioning that, looking at my adventure list, our campaign only ran for about 14 sessions- we had a couple skip months due to scheduling, and played Spirit of 77 for a couple of months when we were down some people. That said, winding it down felt like a natural point to conclude.

edit: we had an ice cream cake to commemorate it, and I did get some campaign art made of the town mascot

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 13, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm glad I'm playing Gloomhaven but also kind of miffed that I didn't wait until 2nd edition came out cause there's no way we're making the switch

My group went on hiatus when the pandemic started. No way they'd ever want to switch if we did reconvene. Also, I have nowhere in my house to put another one of these games. Frosthaven is still in the box, for Christ's sake.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Jaws of the lion is definitely a good way to learn Gloomhaven. Playing that was the first time we didn't bounce off the game. It's also forgiving enough with sub par tactical decisions that you don't need to agonise over every move.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Griddle of Love posted:

Jaws of the lion is definitely a good way to learn Gloomhaven. Playing that was the first time we didn't bounce off the game. It's also forgiving enough with sub par tactical decisions that you don't need to agonise over every move.

The RAW when you fail a scenario are pretty brutal. You have to... replay it! It also sucks when they have failure conditions other than everyone dies.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The RAW when you fail a scenario are pretty brutal. You have to... replay it! It also sucks when they have failure conditions other than everyone dies.

All Gloomhaven scenarios have that, though - you can survive a tough encounter, then just run out of cards. It’s not as bad as Dungeon Saga was but it’s also harder to replay.

Are there any good new tactical board games of that type that support more players?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My group went on hiatus when the pandemic started. No way they'd ever want to switch if we did reconvene. Also, I have nowhere in my house to put another one of these games. Frosthaven is still in the box, for Christ's sake.
My basement is dedicated to Frosthaven, yes.

GH2e is gonna be awesome but yeah it's not gonna be a thing you can switch a campaign to.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I run a session a week that lasts three to four hours on Saturday Evenings (I'm on the West Coast, and most of my players are scattered across Wisconsin, but I have one in Maine and another in Texas). My campaigns generally last fifty to sixty sessions.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

I aim for 10 to 15 sessions for a game anymore. I used to run longer stuff, but I start getting antsy around after a season or so. If I'm playing rather than running, that usually means playing a few different characters over the course of a game as the other person in my ground who's likely to run goes for longer stories.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I apparently backed that one, OK!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's worth mentioning that, looking at my adventure list, our campaign only ran for about 14 sessions- we had a couple skip months due to scheduling, and played Spirit of 77 for a couple of months when we were down some people. That said, winding it down felt like a natural point to conclude.

edit: we had an ice cream cake to commemorate it, and I did get some campaign art made of the town mascot

This rules. We've done three "episodes" over about 4-5 sessions, but I've had to put ours on break because I'm a forever DM and have a life.

Our eps so far:
1. The Lizardman of Petersham, MA - this was a lizardman who lived in a swamp nearby, but the expansion of a sewer into its habitat had it hunting humans around town.
2. The Unknown of Bozeman, MT - a human that looked so ordinary, people couldn't accurately describe it. It was killing people trying to create a mask for itself so people could remember it.
3. High Rise, High Danger - this one was fun because it recalled their characters from a Spirit of 77 one-shot. One of the characters in So77 was trying to start a cult, so I fast forwarded a year and had her working with Mammon, the Lord of Greed, to give her the power to make the cult legitimately mystical.

It's a fun game but I'm not super in love with the need to find a monster's weakness every time. It makes it more procedural than the shows the game emulates imo. I ended up throwing that out as a requirement and made it more a bonus to fighting the creature if they did in fact figure it out. It's also a bit of a challenge to get these bite-sized enough to work in a session or two. If I were running this in WoD any of those could have been more sprawling mini-campaigns rather than a long one-shot, but that's more on me than the system.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chakan posted:

What… hmm.

Yeah that's what oneshot means.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My group's games are a mix of being in for the long haul but also individual sessions being kind of short so stuff kind of drags out a bit. Especially since people have lives and children, so we do optimistically about 2 hours during our weekly games and some of that is inevitably going to get burned on getting back up to speed from last time. The group will have been going for 8 years sometime this coming January and we've gotten through three full campaigns of varying lengths, with periodic side games as diversions to keep things from getting too stale, and are most of a year in on the fourth campaign.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I apparently backed that one, OK!

I'm hoping it hits the same physical quality as the core book, which is gorgeous. I've been through some of the PDF material, and it's still great setting fluff that you can use in your games. When you make a completely original setting, you have to balance having enough detail that the GM knows what's going on, and in leaving them room to create their own stuff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The groups I've gamed with over the years have all used "campaign" to mean a long or even indefinite-length game with the same system, setting, players, and characters*. "One-shot" has meant a short adventure intended for a single play session, but with allowances for running out of table time and wanting to finish the story maybe becoming a two-parter. Often to try out a new system that someone's excited about but also it's been a "hey, we're all going to be in town in a couple weeks, let's hang out around a table, get buzzed and roll dice" in that beer-and-pretzels sort of way.

At some point I picked up "miniseries" as a term for a game with an intended limited run and story arc, often 4-6 sessions. It's usually the next stage in a new system if enough people enjoyed the one-shot trial run but those tend to be less narrative. A few times we've liked what we were doing enough to turn it into a full campaign.

*Allowances for player attrition and new joins, PC death, etc and once or twice a system change. Game of Theseus?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Well Played Mauer posted:

3. High Rise, High Danger - this one was fun because it recalled their characters from a Spirit of 77 one-shot. One of the characters in So77 was trying to start a cult, so I fast forwarded a year and had her working with Mammon, the Lord of Greed, to give her the power to make the cult legitimately mystical.

Ha, I'm keeping the opposite in my back pocket- running So77 and bringing them to Fortston, the haunted Nova Scotia town their MOTW characters ended up saving in the far flung future of 2023. Either that, or just running In the Mouth of Madness substituting Nova Scotia for New Hampshire.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tulip posted:

Wait, really? Ten?! Out of curiosity, how long are the sessions you play? And how much is eaten up by unrelated chat? I've played with the same group+characters for around three years (we finished the campaign and started a new one recently) playing each week - and we were still keen to continue.

Same for the other campaigns I've played. We tend to only play in evenings/afternoons though, so not full-day affairs, which would probably accelerate campaign-fatigue, somewhat.

Countzer
May 27, 2022
The campaign I have been running has being going on for... *checks notes* 112 sessions now. Each session being 3-4 hours long.

The previous one run for 76 sessions, though the final arc had to be condensed and cut short because I got drafted.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My longest-running campaign as a GM was over about 2 and a half years and I would ballpark guess we got in around 50-60 sessions (each at 3 hours long). For as much fun as it was, it was really straining to GM after awhile and I'd probably aim for <30 in any given future campaign.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, really? Ten?! Out of curiosity, how long are the sessions you play? And how much is eaten up by unrelated chat? I've played with the same group+characters for around three years (we finished the campaign and started a new one recently) playing each week - and we were still keen to continue.

Same for the other campaigns I've played. We tend to only play in evenings/afternoons though, so not full-day affairs, which would probably accelerate campaign-fatigue, somewhat.

Typically I'd say about half an hour of unrelated chat, 3 hours of session, so about 30 hours before everyone is just totally worn out on the campaign and ready to move onto the next one. That's the higher end, though not the absolute cap, most campaigns are quite a bit shorter but we've had a handful of longer ones. We had a promethean campaign than got into the 20s before the GM (me) came to just utterly loving hate the whole thing.

Almost every campaign is a new system and I think we average about 3 sessions before we start noticing cracks in the system that bug the crap out of us. There's quite a few where people come to session 0 with criticisms of the system, though the most disastrous was LANCER where a player declared that they would rather not play any game than keep playing LANCER by about an hour into session one.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I played in a weekly campaign for a little over two years once, so we probably got to like 80 sessions before it ended. 10 sessions seem like a decent length campaign (especially if you keep the pacing nice and tight) but generally the people I know and myself like playing out characters they enjoy for a long while.

Whirling fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 14, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If all goes as predicted, my 5e game will wrap up in the first week of December on Session 288, seven years after it started. The players started that game as tweens and are either in college, the back end of high school, or working. I could not be more proud of each and every one of them, and immensely grateful that they gave me the chance to run One Of Those D&D Games that occupy a particular space in the hobby's lore.

And jesus christ I cannot wait to play Blades in the Dark again in January, and never touch an edition of D&D past 2e ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

We're playing a weekly Avatar Legends game for a little over a year and a half now. About 25-30 sessions in we switched to using mutants and masterminds instead, with one player also changing characters.

We're still going strong, seeing seeds develop that were planted at the very beginning, and having only missed maybe 10-15 sessions in that time.