Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the easiest fix is probably to drill a hole in the case and give it a normal dc barrel jack

you can get 5v usb to barrel cables and the panel mount jacks on aliexpress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Alright guys, anyone who wants to play with the soldering of this fan, PM me. I will ship to you for the cost of shipping. I just hate wasting the fan. I still have the box and the remote.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
:mods:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Wisdom

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AdvilSmith
Aug 15, 2014

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Then someone look up some C9 style american christmas light strings for me.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=WaagncFBDibl

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Deliveries

This micro sd case is very nice. I don’t like this one as much, hard to seat the cards properly so they don’t fall/fly out when you open it.

This butter knife / spreader is great but a little short, needs to be a bit longer to be really comfortable. This one is ok to use but both ends are floppy - just silicon with nothing underneath, meaning the tip doesn’t spread well but the body does.

Probably a long shot but I’m thinking about buying an electric pumice callous remover thing - does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

There seems to be three main types, which could also be battlebots types:
1) Vertical roller
2) Horizontal roller
3) Disc spinner

I like the vertical roller but think the horizontal roller would probably be more reliable because of its simplicity, so that’s leading at the moment.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DRINK ME posted:

Probably a long shot but I’m thinking about buying an electric pumice callous remover thing - does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

1) Vertical roller
2) Horizontal roller
3) Disc spinner

I like the vertical roller but think the horizontal roller would probably be more reliable because of its simplicity, so that’s leading at the moment.

I recommend a manual foot file.

Or, go ahead and enjoy the inevitable bloodshed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have one similar to the vertical roller, except the callous head is just an accessory and the main set of heads is for nail care. It's fine. Mine runs off two AAs and the motor can be slowed down by too much resistance. You definitely feel it long before there's any bloodshed

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

wibble posted:

I still wouldnt buy wheels from Aliexpress...

I've been commuting daily on AliExpress carbon wheels for pretty much a decade and have had zero problems across two different bikes. I've broken way more aluminium Shimano/Mavic wheels than I have Chinese carbon strangely enough.

The only issue I've had is bearing failures in the novatec hubs, those were easy to press new ones in and no issues since.

My main advice is to steer well clear of stores that sell things with fake branding on them, you want stores that are just selling unbranded wheels like a factory outlet.

As well as wheels my fixie has some AliExpress carbon aero bars that are clearly factory seconds (the centerline decal is off by about 5mm) but have been going strong for years.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

norp posted:

I've been commuting daily on AliExpress carbon wheels for pretty much a decade and have had zero problems across two different bikes. I've broken way more aluminium Shimano/Mavic wheels than I have Chinese carbon strangely enough.

The only issue I've had is bearing failures in the novatec hubs, those were easy to press new ones in and no issues since.

My main advice is to steer well clear of stores that sell things with fake branding on them, you want stores that are just selling unbranded wheels like a factory outlet.

As well as wheels my fixie has some AliExpress carbon aero bars that are clearly factory seconds (the centerline decal is off by about 5mm) but have been going strong for years.

got a link to a shop that you trust for 700c sets?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
one of my first ever orders has failed to clear customs

rip 2000w hot air gun :(

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'd be scared of running something at 16 amps through aliexpress anything

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The fan is just using usb-c for power, right? Like it doesn’t communicate with whatever it’s plugged into?
People can correct me if I’m wrong, but if it’s not, you could just figure out what pins/parts of the connector are POS+ and NEG-(ground) and solder wires to it. If nothing else, you can then cut a cable, find the + and - wires in that and connect those wires together.
Funny enough, I had a Micro-USB jack go bad on one of those usb microscopes with the screen. Micro-USB is way easier to replace than USB-C. But I still just didn’t feel like it. So I did what I described above, removed the failed connector, scraped the board to expose the individual wires, soldered tiny wires to that, and connected those to a cable I cut up. In my case, I wanted to preserve the ability of the microscope to connect to a computer and allow the computer to capture it.
Any way it was a complete success, and after absolutely drenching all of the wires in glue afterward, I don’t ever have to worry about that connector again. Wish I could do that with more things. Micro-usb sucks so hard.
I’m not sure if USB-C can function (give power at 5-volts?) with just a couple of wires connected like micro-usb can

Anyway, do people have any recommendations for a really good small flashlight? My partner needs one after hers broke when it was dropped. It needs to be seriously small so she can carry it in her purse at all times. Like maybe 3” (762mm) long and 3/4” (190mm?). Probably needs to take batteries in case she hasn’t charged it in a while.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I used to get actual spam emails trying to sell me weird butter knives with holes in, like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005174725683.html

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

hark posted:

got a link to a shop that you trust for 700c sets?

This is the store I bought my fixie wheels from, and even after trashing the spokes with a chain drop and having the wheel rebuilt it's going strong. Looks like they put their own branding on them now, mine are unbranded (back in 2018!)

WIND BREAK Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNFUGE0

My road wheels were from an eBay store that doesn't appear to exist anymore and eBay don't keep purchase history back that far

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I recommend a manual foot file.

Or, go ahead and enjoy the inevitable bloodshed.
I have a couple of pumice stones now and they work fine but I want to make it quick and easy. Maybe I can find some of those fish on Ali instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35UP-ixyXYk

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
I've bought a few bike accessories and packs of ferrules from Ali strictly for personal use, they've all worked really well

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

I've bought a few bike accessories and packs of ferrules from Ali strictly for personal use, they've all worked really well

Nice username. You get the newsletter about the next meeting??

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

DRINK ME posted:

I have a couple of pumice stones now and they work fine but I want to make it quick and easy. Maybe I can find some of those fish on Ali instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35UP-ixyXYk

I used to think everyone had pumice everywhere, then it turns out it’s not just on every single beach in the world like where I grew up…

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ughhh ordered something in October and it made it quickly to my country... Cleared customs on the 13th...

Now just showing "check back later for delivery estimate."
It's annoying because I kinda want the part to repair my phone but I don't want to order another for it to magically appear.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Those aren't really C9 though just a sorta vaguely similar looking copy, which is all I've found as well when searching. It's not even got proper separate replaceable bulbs.

It doesn't matter I ended up ordering 120V lighting from the US and will have to run a step down transformer with it. Next year I'll buy from Tru-Tone.com

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DRINK ME posted:

1) Vertical roller
2) Horizontal roller
3) Disc spinner

Horizontal rollers are fine and probably the easiest to hold/use, but I should mention that you can probably find one for very cheap already at Marshalls/Ross/TJ Maxx/Winners

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I received earrings I'd ordered (and eventually received a refund for) in June 2022. Apparently they were knocking around Zambia?? Thaaat's Ali!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

norp posted:

Ughhh ordered something in October and it made it quickly to my country... Cleared customs on the 13th...

Now just showing "check back later for delivery estimate."
It's annoying because I kinda want the part to repair my phone but I don't want to order another for it to magically appear.

Ah yes, the vending machine effect!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hark posted:

anyone ever got fake bearings before?

Jesus Christ, why? The 608 is like the most common bearing in history, and so cheap it's not worth spoofing.

edit: every fidget spinner in the world has at least one of them. They are cheap enough that most spinners use them as the weights on the arms...

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't gotten fake ones but when I tried to order random cheap ones from a sketchy seller before I got ones that were so bad I suspect they were a bunch of defective ones that failed qc at wherever they were made

I would have thought there would have been enough of those that there would be no point in actively making fake ones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

so cheap it's not worth spoofing.

Lmao oh you!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mystes posted:

I haven't gotten fake ones but when I tried to order random cheap ones from a sketchy seller before I got ones that were so bad I suspect they were a bunch of defective ones that failed qc at wherever they were made

I would have thought there would have been enough of those that there would be no point in actively making fake ones

Exactly!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao oh you!

I mean, obviously I'm wrong. Just surprised.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hark posted:

anyone ever got fake bearings before?

Lmfao

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

wibble posted:

I ordered some bits for a new bike: cranks, cassette, shifter and derailer. All new 12 speed shimano XT. About $200 in total. Would cost about $500 from a local company. It all came today, very well packed and all brand new and genuine. I still wouldnt buy wheels from Aliexpress...

Heres the store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/911815352?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.105.4a6e1802OIo1i8

How much was duty on it though?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Pretty happy with my first batch of $1.79 stuff. A pair of dyanmo flashlights that seem a little flimsy, but should work in a pinch, a paper corner cutter, some measuring stuff for my mother's pottery, and a cute pair of little scissors for a friend's cross-stitch kit. Also a fake leather pencil case that looks like a map that should be fun for D&D.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Any suggestions for ordering knockoff Lego sets? My nephew is looking for some flowers, decor, and classics like the space shuttle and gently caress the Lego brand poo poo is expensive as all hell. Did some searching but lots of them look dodgy even for 30-50 a pop.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'd say buy real Lego for your nephew.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
More of those I’ve gotten off Temu. Saturn 5, flowers, space shuttle.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Stretchable seat covers for a camper I am working on, I guessed spot on and the 3 mediums and two larges fit my oblong and strangely shaped seats in the living area. Total only about $30 or so compared to was going to be $60+ on Amazon. Pleased with them.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt0KDtA

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Any suggestions for ordering knockoff Lego sets? My nephew is looking for some flowers, decor, and classics like the space shuttle and gently caress the Lego brand poo poo is expensive as all hell. Did some searching but lots of them look dodgy even for 30-50 a pop.

I have seen yourwobb.com mentioned favorably by some of the folk in the LEGO thread.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I usually look for ones with existing orders, maybe some reviews with photos of the completed kit. Gives me a sense of security, that false or not, makes me comfortable ordering.

My nephew loves/loved his fake legos, I was repeatedly given best uncle awards. But he is now getting into those teen years where “those are kids toys” sort of stuff starts.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DRINK ME posted:

I usually look for ones with existing orders, maybe some reviews with photos of the completed kit. Gives me a sense of security, that false or not, makes me comfortable ordering.

My nephew loves/loved his fake legos, I was repeatedly given best uncle awards. But he is now getting into those teen years where “those are kids toys” sort of stuff starts.

"You're a big boy now, here is a gift certificate to choose your own legos"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You guys have recommendation on good looking minimalist mouse for backup? I haven't found anything that go well with an aluminum gray mouse pad. Ali search is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

You guys have recommendation on good looking minimalist mouse for backup? I haven't found anything that go well with an aluminum gray mouse pad. Ali search is broken.

Can't get much more minimal

How about a bizarre finger mouse?

Perhaps sir is a man of culture?