Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

what if you played more doom instead

Not a bad idea. I'm going to share a new level shortly. But first I need to watch 15 hours of youtube tutorials on how to become a digital artist bc I'm going to make custom art assets for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

quote:

Updated main menu to a design inspired by the game's original 1998 main menu.

that rules

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

they fixed the greetings bug, this is.bullshit

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I watched thebdocumentary earlier today. Very good.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

for anybody not gaming on Half Life, I've finished a new level I got started on in like March and struggled for a while to get custom textures to work properly. I figured out the problem last weekend and spent some time finishing the level design.

Check it out here. Looking for any feedback/demos/vids about combat + level flow. Consider the following elements incomplete:
- UI/text/TITLEPIC etc. except for the status bar
- visual design of the level (will be adding more details + lighting)
- difficulties (it only has UV rn)
- file size, it won't be 70Mb when I'm done its got a butt load of unnecessary/unused textures in it rn.

Cheers.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll def boot that up when I get home from doing errands. Have been meaning to start building maps and I suppose being the backseat driver on someone else's poo poo is a good place to start.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Okay, I opened the door to the main room and thought to myself, "whoa cool". I am actually going to take a bit longer for my real response, because this map is kicking my rear end a bit and I want to complete it before providing feedback. Am going to run it through doing a different path after you get the mini gun. Having trouble with ammo if I go for the Arachnotron first. Initially, however, I am enjoying the emphasis on melee and the infighting that develops into. I'm not sure if unlocking the shotgun after the minigun (for the 3 pillars) is as impactful, because you'll already get it if you go one path, and you could probably use it earlier. I can tell by the amount of rocket ammo that some terrible poo poo is about to befall me. I am definitely enjoying the aesthetic of the map so far. I can already tell that it's simply a couple tweaks away from being tremendously solid. Anyways, this might take a little time and I'll post again when I can sit down for a couple hours, beat this bad boy, and give my final words on "the flow" of the map.

Also, you can get stuck behind the wall(on the right side) at the part where the wall goes down and exposes the pinkies after hitting the button.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can get the SG early? That definitely was not intended...or rather, did you unlock the SG, not pick it up and then drop down into the blue key room without picking up the SG? I guess you could do that...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The minigun is the only pillar that opens. The first chance to get a shotgun is dropping down into the blue key area, unless you go another way beforehand.

E: You can get stuck in the area below the button/rocket packs after you beat the arachnotron. The wall will not be open and you won't be able to use the teleport to go back since it's one way.

EE: Like, if you go that way first, they way will not be open, as opposed to if you went the other way to hit the button that drops most of the walls.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 19, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hmmm...you shouldnt be able to get to the BK area until after you unlock the shotty in the main room. I will investigate

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So yeah, if you go the Chaingunner route, you won't get stuck. Getting the minigun and also getting the rocket launcher are both cool moments, so getting the shotgun after the Chaingunner route's button press is underwhelming. It also seems like a harder path to take first. Getting a super shotgun from the pillar would be pretty neat, though. I think if you utilized the entrance hallway area and the great room with some monsters, maybe giving out the shotgun through a shotgun guy, so you can use the pistol until then, would help the weapon flow.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This map is really awesome btw. Some neat ideas going on. Looking forward to see how it progresses. I don't have much more time to test today so if you have anything specific or an update, I will check back and do some more testing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The problem is that this was supposed to be a 100% linear level, no choices at all. I messed something up.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In Training posted:

The problem is that this was supposed to be a 100% linear level, no choices at all. I messed something up.

Got ya, then I'll test when it's working as intended

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Oh but also at the same time it's kinda cool that you can pick the way you want to go and it makes you try and figure out the best path, or best weapon, or best strategy to use based on ammo you have available.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Doing my first shot of it right now, this is a dicey melee section on UV so far but I appreciate no hitscanners during it!

Kazvall posted:

Also, you can get stuck behind the wall(on the right side) at the part where the wall goes down and exposes the pinkies after hitting the button.

I just did this to myself and I think it's the same spot you mentioned. Here's screenshots of the spot where I got stuck.

edit: accidentally mixed up my cheats and iddqd'd myself full health trying to idclip out lol

edit2: Found a sidedef extending into the floor, center of this screenshot.

One more thing, if you go back into the blue key room after having left it once, the exit out can't be re-activated. Found that when I was heading back in to clean up the last of the monsters I had missed.

The map is great! I always love maps where the landscape radically changes as you progress. I was able to cheese the big arena fights by running back into the starting hall and making a chokepoint, then running back into the main area and cleaning up whoever was left after all the infighting.

turn off signatures

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 20, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kazvall posted:

Got ya, then I'll test when it's working as intended

OK so technically it is possible to skip the SG and get stuck in the RL ice wall area, but I'm curious to know how you did it. currently, if you walk up to the 2nd switch in the main room (which unlocks the SG), but dont press it and instead fly across the gap to the invis sphere, then you can drop into the BK zone w/o a SG and get stuck later in the level. that definitely needs to be fixed, but is there another way you got in early? do you play with jump enabled? bc otherwise the door to the BK room shouldn't be accesible...

but beside that you are right, maybe letting you do 2 different routes first between the CG & SG could be more fun. it was originally intended to be a very linear but exploratory-feeling first level w/ the size and scope of the rooms. but i could tweak it a bit and make it a pretty different level with some minor adjustments to the flow. idk how the balance would work out but it may turn out to be a better level in the long run! thanks for the feedback.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Doing my first shot of it right now, this is a dicey melee section on UV so far but I appreciate no hitscanners during it!

I just did this to myself and I think it's the same spot you mentioned. Here's screenshots of the spot where I got stuck.

edit: accidentally mixed up my cheats and iddqd'd myself full health trying to idclip out lol

edit2: Found a sidedef extending into the floor, center of this screenshot.

One more thing, if you go back into the blue key room after having left it once, the exit out can't be re-activated. Found that when I was heading back in to clean up the last of the monsters I had missed.

The map is great! I always love maps where the landscape radically changes as you progress. I was able to cheese the big arena fights by running back into the starting hall and making a chokepoint, then running back into the main area and cleaning up whoever was left after all the infighting.

oooo yeah I always playtest fights by not using doors but this doesnt magically make them disappear. i can make every door out of the main hall lock up when you pick up the RL to make the final fight more of a grand finale arena!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My bad, I normally do use jumping and hadn't even thought you meant to play without it. This explains a lot.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the jump/no jump divide has ruined doom and we need to resolve this once and for all

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kazvall posted:

My bad, I normally do use jumping and hadn't even thought you meant to play without it. This explains a lot.

lmao

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

the jump/no jump divide has ruined doom and we need to resolve this once and for all

with most source ports the mapper can manually turn off jumping w/ the MAPINFO lump. It's been solved.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

with most source ports the mapper can manually turn off jumping w/ the MAPINFO lump. It's been solved.

i mean on a spiritual level

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

turn off signatures

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I always feel weird giving any feedback so I'd like to reiterate that I enjoyed the map a lot and it's clearly not your first work. And it got me punching the gently caress out of monsters which is a skill everyone needs to master. Boxing revenants is a delight lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kazvall posted:

I always feel weird giving any feedback so I'd like to reiterate that I enjoyed the map a lot and it's clearly not your first work. And it got me punching the gently caress out of monsters which is a skill everyone needs to master. Boxing revenants is a delight lol

It's cool I appreciate any feedback+criticism. I've made about a dozen levels at this point and wanted to try and really refine my work into something special for the next set, it will go through a lot of revisions. Outside ideas help me on the journey. You will also of course get a credit in the txt file :dogecheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit :cheersdoge: :dukedog:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

It's cool I appreciate any feedback+criticism. I've made about a dozen levels at this point and wanted to try and really refine my work into something special for the next set, it will go through a lot of revisions. Outside ideas help me on the journey. You will also of course get a credit in the txt file :dogecheers:

ninja edit fail. youre fuckin dead kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007