Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

As someone with an 804: how the gently caress did you fit all that in

Everything went where it was supposed to?

Shumagorath posted:

I might try to steal that Node 804 build further up the page assuming I can source the Xeon.

Plenty of QQM5 still on ebay that I see that claim free shipping. Of course YMMV with ES cpus, and as I already have said, maybe looking to newer generations could be better, as Twerk from Home is suggesting. Though that suggestion is more expensive chip and less cores from what I'm seeing.

If you really want to go cheap and low power/heat, there is ECC and Quicksync support in 8th and 9th gen i3s. I was actually thinking of going with an 8100T at one point. Still need to take care the mobo supports ECC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sub Rosa posted:

If you really want to go cheap and low power/heat, there is ECC and Quicksync support in 8th and 9th gen i3s. I was actually thinking of going with an 8100T at one point. Still need to take care the mobo supports ECC though.

Core i3 have supported ECC since the very first one, up until 12th gen where the Core i3 lost ECC support but the i5, i7, and i9 gained it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VostokProgram posted:

As someone with an 804: how the gently caress did you fit all that in

8 in the back chamber, 2 on the floor in the front chamber, 2x 2.5's in the front panel and if you get creative with fractals mounting plates and a bit of off cut steel you can mount another 2x 3.5s to the rear exhaust fan in the front chamber.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Theophany posted:

if you get creative with fractals mounting plates and a bit of off cut steel you can mount another 2x 3.5s to the rear exhaust fan in the front chamber.

Okay now that sounds crazy

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I can't find a photo of it, but that rear exhaust can fit a 3.5 mounting bracket and with some off bits of metal you can screw two 3.5 drives in

It's incredibly dumb and I do not recommend it. I ended up transplanting everything into a Fractal Define 7 XL.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Theophany posted:

I can't find a photo of it, but that rear exhaust can fit a 3.5 mounting bracket and with some off bits of metal you can screw two 3.5 drives in

It's incredibly dumb and I do not recommend it. I ended up transplanting everything into a Fractal Define 7 XL.

At that point where you're adding 'bits of metal' you might as well just drill holes in the outside of the case and screw the drives in through them?

I use a fractal Meshify 2 XL for my main PC and a Node 304 for my server, they're great.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

At that point where you're adding 'bits of metal' you might as well just drill holes in the outside of the case and screw the drives in through them?

I use a fractal Meshify 2 XL for my main PC and a Node 304 for my server, they're great.

They were roughly 2" strips with a hole in each end, you then screw into the strips so that they're in the side mounts of the drives, like a ghetto rear end caddy with some grommets for vibration damping.

Ultimately disk temps would get beyond 40 degrees so I stopped being a jackass and bought a bigger case.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Installing my new m2 ssd in the motherboard's secondary slot (in the chassis, with gpu and cpu in place) was a pain. I dropped that stupidly tiny screw, stabbed the mobo with the screwdriver in the process, and in the end left the screw fastened at an angle because it wouldn't go in straight. The ssd seemed to sit well though and couldn't be moved. I put the heatsink back on top, which should keep it functional even if the m2 screw pops out.

Got me thinking - is it simpler to use a pcie nvme card for mounting ones ssds, especially if doing so post-build? What's the downside? How much money does such a card cost for a decent one?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Installing my new m2 ssd in the motherboard's secondary slot (in the chassis, with gpu and cpu in place) was a pain. I dropped that stupidly tiny screw, stabbed the mobo with the screwdriver in the process, and in the end left the screw fastened at an angle because it wouldn't go in straight. The ssd seemed to sit well though and couldn't be moved. I put the heatsink back on top, which should keep it functional even if the m2 screw pops out.

Got me thinking - is it simpler to use a pcie nvme card for mounting ones ssds, especially if doing so post-build? What's the downside? How much money does such a card cost for a decent one?
If you get a transposer, ie. a card that just changes from M.2 to the PCIe form factor without any kind of a PCIe switch, it should be very cheap.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They cost about $3 from china or about $10 on amazon

Theres no fancy circuitry on them its just pin remapping and a connector basically

The downside is you lose a pcie slot

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What are pcie slots even used for these days? Apart from the obvious one(s) taken up by the gpu.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PirateBob posted:

What are pcie slots even used for these days? Apart from the obvious one(s) taken up by the gpu.

NICs and HBAs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

PirateBob posted:

Everyday desktop PCs; mostly they're not.

But overall: cards for more/different storage (HBA or raid), faster network cards (10G, fibre etc), HPC/AI accelerator (eg AMD M200), video encoder cards (eg Alveo MA35D), Video capture (see Blackmagic cards), probably a world of obscure capture devices used in industry/science/tech etc, sound related cards used in profession audio settings, etc

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kibner posted:

NICs and HBAs.

Are you guys buying Intel X710s or Mellanox something or is there a cheaper, cooler 10GbaseT NIC out there now?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The X540-based ones seem alright, now they've finally got to a hardware revision that isn't broken

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Everyday desktop PCs; mostly they're not.

But overall: cards for more/different storage (HBA or raid), faster network cards (10G, fibre etc), HPC/AI accelerator (eg AMD M200), video encoder cards (eg Alveo MA35D), Video capture (see Blackmagic cards), probably a world of obscure capture devices used in industry/science/tech etc, sound related cards used in profession audio settings, etc
My desktop has a GPU, NIC, SAS HBA, and audio card.

Server has a NIC and a SAS HBA.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

If your mobo supports bifercation on the pcie slots, you can get cards with 4x nvme slots for about 20 dollars

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you guys buying Intel X710s or Mellanox something or is there a cheaper, cooler 10GbaseT NIC out there now?
If you go with faster Ethernet, go with Mellanox. I went from X520s to ConnectX3s and my iSCSI random IO throughput jumped to like twice of what it was before. A simple card swap. And said throughput was far removed from the 10GBit and 40GBit of the respective cards. So gently caress knows what's going on with Intel cards.

ConnectX3 cards are cheap as gently caress on Ebay, and Windows has an inbox driver that works fine and even does RDMA.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Any good places to watch for deals on HDDs/etc? Need to buy a couple high capacity HDDs to upgrade my NAS.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

shucks.top

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I watch disk prices and it seems like internal drives are finally cheaper again, although I can't say why. There's 20TB disks for $280 on Newegg right now, just do that over shucking.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

18tb for 200 is significantly cheaper

$11.11 per tb vs $14 per tb

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Holy poo poo, 18TB is $200 right now? I'm buying some disks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://serverpartdeals.com/ is some win

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got an old Buffalo LS220D two-bay NAS box with two Western Digital WD20EARX-00P drives, set up in spanning mode. I've got a Netgear Orbi mesh network at home. My Windows PC is on the router, the Buffalo is connected to a satellite, and the spanned drive is presented to Windows via SMB.

I'm getting around 15-20mb/sec transfer speeds. I haven't really had a chance to run speed tests on other devices connected to the satellite but sat-connected devices tend to download and stream pretty well.

Am I looking at just lovely performance from the 10/100 NIC on the NAS, lovely performance because striping slows things down in general, lovely performance because it's an old-rear end NAS that's probably underpowered in terms of CPU, or one/more of the above?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MJP posted:

I've got an old Buffalo LS220D two-bay NAS box with two Western Digital WD20EARX-00P drives, set up in spanning mode. I've got a Netgear Orbi mesh network at home. My Windows PC is on the router, the Buffalo is connected to a satellite, and the spanned drive is presented to Windows via SMB.

I'm getting around 15-20mb/sec transfer speeds. I haven't really had a chance to run speed tests on other devices connected to the satellite but sat-connected devices tend to download and stream pretty well.

Am I looking at just lovely performance from the 10/100 NIC on the NAS, lovely performance because striping slows things down in general, lovely performance because it's an old-rear end NAS that's probably underpowered in terms of CPU, or one/more of the above?

100Mbit is literally 12.5 MByte, so if that really is a 10/100 NIC you shouldn't even get to 20.

Beyond that, drag the buffalo over to the router and see if that changes the speed? Ideally plug both that and the PC into the router if you have enough ethernet ports and cables to make that work. Not forever, but as a test.

Because yes reading from two SATA disks striped should get you a lot more speed.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

This may be a dumb question. Is there a network hardrive/nas that I can run torrents on and initiate from my cellphone? Then use my phone to stream to my LG tv?

The tv seems fine to cast from YouTube/Netflix and other big apps but some of the media players won't, so that's why I'm clarifying there. To get around this I have been using bubble upnp.

Looking to buy some type of networked hardrive without having to use a PC.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

Holy poo poo, 18TB is $200 right now? I'm buying some disks.

If you're OK with refurbished, $160: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155636746868

Still has a 5 year warranty so I'd buy them if I hadn't refreshed less than a year ago.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ArmTheHomeless posted:

This may be a dumb question. Is there a network hardrive/nas that I can run torrents on and initiate from my cellphone? Then use my phone to stream to my LG tv?

The tv seems fine to cast from YouTube/Netflix and other big apps but some of the media players won't, so that's why I'm clarifying there. To get around this I have been using bubble upnp.

Looking to buy some type of networked hardrive without having to use a PC.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
I have on my Synology Nas the Download Station package that I can add torrents to using the DS Get app on my phone by clicking torrent or magnet links anywhere (phone browser or other app). There is a Media Server package for the nas that on paper -I'm not using this part myself- combined with a DS Video app on the phone should allow you to cast to Chromecast compatible devices from the phone. That's all first party Synology software, fairly basic and easy to set up. For playback I prefer vlc installed on my Chromecast with Google tv, which I just point to the network location. There are third party media center packages like Plex that I don't know much about, as well as more advanced things that help you queue up downloads or whatever. It's certainly possible on the whole and what to go with depends on how technically inclined you are and what kind of money you've got to spend on it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

100Mbit is literally 12.5 MByte, so if that really is a 10/100 NIC you shouldn't even get to 20.

Beyond that, drag the buffalo over to the router and see if that changes the speed? Ideally plug both that and the PC into the router if you have enough ethernet ports and cables to make that work. Not forever, but as a test.

Because yes reading from two SATA disks striped should get you a lot more speed.

Spanned, not striped - would that make any difference in network speed?

It used to be on the router with the PC, but since it's going to stream to a Kodi box which is also connected via wired to the satellite, I figured I should have its home be wherever it's going to have least network bottleneck to the destination.

I'll haul it over and give it a test.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

MJP posted:

Spanned, not striped - would that make any difference in network speed?

The network interface doesn't know or care what configuration your storage media is in, and either spanned or striped with any remotely recent disks should be capable of >100MB/s for reads at least.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Any good nas deals this bf? Best buy has the 18tb wd externals for $200, is it worth shucking?

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have on my Synology Nas the Download Station package that I can add torrents to using the DS Get app on my phone by clicking torrent or magnet links anywhere (phone browser or other app). There is a Media Server package for the nas that on paper -I'm not using this part myself- combined with a DS Video app on the phone should allow you to cast to Chromecast compatible devices from the phone. That's all first party Synology software, fairly basic and easy to set up. For playback I prefer vlc installed on my Chromecast with Google tv, which I just point to the network location. There are third party media center packages like Plex that I don't know much about, as well as more advanced things that help you queue up downloads or whatever. It's certainly possible on the whole and what to go with depends on how technically inclined you are and what kind of money you've got to spend on it.

I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks for something that will do plex, torrents, etc.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Any good nas deals this bf? Best buy has the 18tb wd externals for $200, is it worth shucking?

I shared a link to 18TB drives for $160 a few posts up so I'd say probably not. They're refurbished, sure, but the warranty is longer than the one you'd get for an external drive and at that kind of difference you could buy a cold spare to sit on and still come out ahead unless you only want a few.

ArmTheHomeless posted:

I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks for something that will do plex, torrents, etc.

Torrent performance requirements are minimal and you don't need a separate server for them. I use a VM on my NAS for torrents and the only time it even moves the needle is if I add something with a bunch of seeds and it jumps straight to >10MB/s.

Plex performance requirements depend strongly on how much transcoding you need. If you are transcoding more than a couple streams at once, you will want a hardware encoder. Nvidia's cards are well supported too but if you're building a dedicated machine for the purpose then the cheapest and easiest way to go is a recent Intel processor with integrated graphics. I use an i5-10400 and I don't really know how many streams it can handle, because I got up to seven testing it and then gave up; the most I've ever seen from my actual user base is three. This is in an HP S01 which was $100 as a refurb from eBay, so even with processor, memory, and SSD upgraded I'm at like $300 all in.

Software transcoding works well in a quality sense but takes a fair bit of performance, so if you're building a new machine anyway I would not plan to go in that direction. It's a fine option if you already have something with lots of CPU cycles that can run a VM, or on a spare old desktop if you are only ever going to run one stream at a time.

Of course, if your client supports the format/resolution/bitrate of your source file then you don't have to transcode at all. My server is running 2 1080p streams and a 720p stream right now but all of it is Direct Play, so total CPU load is only around 0.5%. You probably can't plan on that always being the case unless you are the only user, but it helps.

If I were building today I'd be tempted to try an N95 or N100 mini-PC, since they are dirt cheap and use very little power but have an even newer version of the encoder and acceptable CPU performance.

e: This is the exact same chassis I have, just with an i3 instead of an i5. The QuickSync unit is the same and 8GB RAM / 256G SSD are more than enough so it could be a Plex server as is.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 21, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eletriarnation posted:

The network interface doesn't know or care what configuration your storage media is in, and either spanned or striped with any remotely recent disks should be capable of >100MB/s for reads at least.

Hoofed it over to the router and confirmed that indeed it's no better there. Unfortunately it also confirmed that it caused my Kodi box to hang when I asked it to play a 1gb file, so I'm guessing 2014 tech might have its limits elsewhere.

If all I want is something that can store modern media, run an SMB server natively, and have a decent oomph for transcoding to 1080p/60fps, are there any recs for NAS boxes/DIY setups? i can live with room for just two 3.5" disks for storage and an NVMe or 2.5" SSD for a boot volume. I don't want to have to spend any more time maintaining it and setting it up for basic "hey one of your disks is hosed" alerts and basic SMB config stuff than the Buffalo, but I'd like to keep it at like $200ish spend. I'm down to buy used/secondhand as long as it's got gigabit ethernet for the local storage part.

Edit: I don't know if this guy's DIY stuff is just shameless storefront hawking or legit but I don't mind putting together a mini-ITX or some other similar small utility box, as long as it uses a regular ATX power cable with an inline power supply box and not a wall wart.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MJP posted:

If all I want is something that can store modern media, run an SMB server natively, and have a decent oomph for transcoding to 1080p/60fps, are there any recs for NAS boxes/DIY setups?

Transcoding to 1080p60 from what source resolution and framerate? Almost all the media I have is 1080p24, and if I need to transcode it'd be down to 720p24, if I want to play it at 1080p I'd just direct play.

Transcoding from 4K60fps (or higher) to 1080p60 at high quality could be extremely CPU intense and require a pretty high end machine.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good point, I normally don't pay too much attention to source codec and such. I grab a 1080 source file and normally I just watch it in the computer room, but I'm now looking to hang out more in the living room, hence the Kodi box.

As long as it cleanly streams across the local wireless at 1080 I don't really have a preference - I'm willing to stay at 1080 sources anyway since our TVs are only around 46" and we just have a soundbar for audio.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Would you buy a Seagate Exos 16tb (ST16000NM001G) that has 20k+ power on hours for USD$105 to use in a home media server for 99% linux ISOs? Unsure if manufacturer warranty is valid. HDTunePro shows no bad sectors, CrystalDiskInfo shows "Healthy".

I legit know nothing about how HDDs age with power on hours, no idea on how the drives were kept. 05/C5/C6/C7/C8 are all 0 though on CrystalDiskInfo screenshots which as I understand it are the major things to look out for?

E: No manufacturer warranty which is a bit sketch as they were produced in 2020 but whatevs. Deal's a bit too good to pass up given that these drives sell for $260 brand new where I am, yolo!!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 21, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MJP posted:

Good point, I normally don't pay too much attention to source codec and such. I grab a 1080 source file and normally I just watch it in the computer room, but I'm now looking to hang out more in the living room, hence the Kodi box.

As long as it cleanly streams across the local wireless at 1080 I don't really have a preference - I'm willing to stay at 1080 sources anyway since our TVs are only around 46" and we just have a soundbar for audio.
One thing to note here is that Kodi isn't Plex, and as such it doesn't need server-side transcoding the same way Plex does - because it uses libavcodec, the same library as mpv and many other video players.

Also, at 1080p60fps, there's no way you're using enough to saturate 100BaseT, because the bitrate simply isn't that high for video - and it's not like it downloads the whole file before playing.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Would you buy a Seagate Exos 16tb (ST16000NM001G) that has 20k+ power on hours for USD$105 to use in a home media server for 99% linux ISOs? Unsure if manufacturer warranty is valid. HDTunePro shows no bad sectors, CrystalDiskInfo shows "Healthy".

I legit know nothing about how HDDs age with power on hours, no idea on how the drives were kept. 05/C5/C6/C7/C8 are all 0 though on CrystalDiskInfo screenshots which as I understand it are the major things to look out for?

E: No manufacturer warranty which is a bit sketch as they were produced in 2020 but whatevs. Deal's a bit too good to pass up given that these drives sell for $260 brand new where I am, yolo!!
The thing about Exos drives is that unless you're the type of nerd like me who spends hours reading specs sheets, they're probably not right for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The thing about Exos drives is that unless you're the type of nerd like me who spends hours reading specs sheets, they're probably not right for you.

Ooh you gotta give me more than that. What I've been able to glean about the Exos drives so far are that they A) Run hotter, B) Run louder, C) Have worse failure rates on the Backblaze reports, D) Tend to have very high load cycle counts because of aggressive spindown and do not use APM so you have to figure out how to use SeaChest Tools if you want to adjust that.

Going to be buying 2 of these and buyer gave me a discount so that's $180 for 2 of the drives which is just too silly to pass up.

My plan was to make them my SnapRaid parity drives that will only see work when they are scrubbed + SMART tested once a week, and then sycned approx twice a month. I'm thinking of doing it this way to mitigate noise and heat (they will only spin when SMART testing, scrubbing, and syncing). This should also deal with the spindown "problem".

Though with that said 2 of my data drives are Toshiba MG08 16TBs and they aren't exactly silent.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 21, 2023