Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suspiciously good reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Platystemon posted:

Boeing already uses GPS receivers in the tail and nose (maybe also the wing tips) to derive some parameters.

My suggestion is “Hey these GPS signals are supposed to be weak af. If they’re actually coming in loud and clear, you’re being hosed with.”

What if they turn the radio down tho? *taps head*

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A real pilot would fly a magnetic compass heading and correct for winds aloft using a trusty e6b. Good luck spoofing that! :smug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't pilots just look out the window to tell where they are? Are they stupid?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pilots aren't stupid, they're drunk and/or hungover

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mobby_6kl posted:

Why don't pilots just look out the window to tell where they are? Are they stupid?

Cue the story of the Russian bomber that didn't set the direction correctly on the navigation and flew the inverse of the actual mission plan, the landmarks all lined up with what they should have been seeing, and they almost started a war with Iran.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

The loving ridiculous part is that the Mentor satellites already know exactly the origin and method of every single one of these spoofers and yet that information is still concealed because it would reveal national technical means. I’m pretty sure that if you’re spoofing civil air nav systems it doesn’t matter what country you’re in, you need to eat a tactom.
Where does one read about this, comrade?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cojawfee posted:

Cue the story of the Russian bomber that didn't set the direction correctly on the navigation and flew the inverse of the actual mission plan, the landmarks all lined up with what they should have been seeing, and they almost started a war with Iran.
In case anybody is curious
https://youtu.be/i-bdJF6TUFs?si=hjGfgD_GlmWCM0-Q

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

This is worth the watch. The series of unfortunate coincidences could have been included in the command and control book about all the "near misses" of nuclear war and catastrophes and it would fit right in.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The pilots only realised when the sun started rising in front of them. They thought they had been travelling west.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Blues' Dirty Loop, from the NFO seat on #7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvb7qN1ux4

Also, for those who :allears: at DCS F-14 footage but don't want to learn or over-invest into flight sim gear to enjoy flying it, Heatblur has a present for FS2020 users: https://youtu.be/I_b2abhiBww?si=BMl3FjOYxXxgaXlX

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 23, 2023

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
The Iranian shahed cruise drones use an array of 4 GPS antennas with 2 polarizations each, I believe, for a total of 8 independent GPS signals. The antennas are in a compact package. You then can do EE bullshit to filter out around 8 sources, I think, from a paper I read on that stuff. Or just buy passive antennas that filter out anything not 10 degrees above the horizon, and remember to not bank the plane.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Blues' Dirty Loop, from the NFO seat on #7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvb7qN1ux4

How the blue angels don't lose a plane every other week I'll never understand.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, for those who :allears: at DCS F-14 footage but don't want to learn or over-invest into flight sim gear to enjoy flying it, Heatblur has a present for FS2020 users: https://youtu.be/I_b2abhiBww?si=BMl3FjOYxXxgaXlX

That looks incredible.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's amazing. The only thing missing is Tom Cruise lying about them not using CGI to make it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

karoshi posted:

The Iranian shahed cruise drones use an array of 4 GPS antennas with 2 polarizations each, I believe, for a total of 8 independent GPS signals. The antennas are in a compact package. You then can do EE bullshit to filter out around 8 sources, I think, from a paper I read on that stuff. Or just buy passive antennas that filter out anything not 10 degrees above the horizon, and remember to not bank the plane.

If you're going crazy rolling and banking, you probably don't need gps at the moment, so you could just reject any new signals that show up when turning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nice livery

https://www.185arw.ang.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2701190/ang-facility-completes-blacksnake-livery-on-indiana-a-10/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Shockingly, sometimes good things come out of Indiana.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Huh, I thought Vice went bankrupt

Phanatic posted:

Jamming GPS is easy, spoofing it less so, but *loving with INS* is something that shouldn't be possible short of bullets.

Also I genuinely don't understand how this is possible. I'm by no means an avionics expert, but doesn't the INS use, y'know, inertia for navigation?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As someone noted earlier, you can't gently caress with the INS platform by remote control, but if your INS uses the GPS to zero out accumulated errors, bad GPS data will get passed to the INS and then it has no idea that it's wrong.

It's not a problem with INS, really -- it's just that we have to start thinking differently now about the reliability of GPS. It used to be that if you were getting a good signal, the location was essentially guaranteed to be accurate, and navigation software was written with that axiom in mind. So if the INS and GPS disagreed, it was just assumed that the INS had gotten knocked around and was in error. That's no longer necessarily the case and it looks like we'll have to come up with some new methods of verifying GPS reliability -- maybe even falling back to INS by default, since although it isn't as precise as GPS, it has a predictable and well characterized error rate, and it is indeed still unspoofable.

Ballistic missiles continue to use INS for primary navigation even though GPS is available and more accurate and vastly cheaper, because it's assumed that in a nuclear war the satellites will all either be spoofed, jammed, or EMP'd out of existence.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 24, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Huh, I thought Vice went bankrupt

Also I genuinely don't understand how this is possible. I'm by no means an avionics expert, but doesn't the INS use, y'know, inertia for navigation?

This is a maritime accident report for the 1995 grounding of the Royal Majesty (Norwegian cruise lines) and more about fallbacks and improper assumptions but the principles are the same (GPS/INS and course vs heading) and it explains in the accident analysis starting on page 29 how it all works. (It’s one of the things I read when first starting to work on navigation systems)
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/mar9701.pdf

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sagebrush posted:

It's not a problem with INS, really -- it's just that we have to start thinking differently now about the reliability of GPS. It used to be that if you were getting a good signal, the location was essentially guaranteed to be accurate, and navigation software was written with that axiom in mind. So if the INS and GPS disagreed, it was just assumed that the INS had gotten knocked around and was in error. That's no longer necessarily the case and it looks like we'll have to come up with some new methods of verifying GPS reliability -- maybe even falling back to INS by default, since although it isn't as precise as GPS, it has a predictable and well characterized error rate, and it is indeed still unspoofable.

Just to add, there certainly are things that can be done (by civilians, if you have access to M-code you are largely immune) to detect even complex spoofing operations, and even to counteract it, but they're relatively modern techniques, and I would assume (though I certainly do not know) that the GNSS receivers in an commercial aircraft avionics package would be significantly older, just by the nature of safety critical systems.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have a somewhat odd movie question. It's something that is stuck in a corner of my mind and although it's super unimportant, the fact that I can't find the answer is bugging me.

In the 1980s or 1990s there must have been an action comedy movie which I watched as a child. Somewhere in there is a scene where some guy is rescued from an Iraqi or Lybian prison. The protagonist and the rescued guy both climb into the cockpit of a French fighter jet, awkwardly occupying the single seat for comedic effect (I'm inclined to believe it's a Mirage, hence I'm thinking of Lybia). The Pilot guy looks around the cockpit and is trying to push button, and frustratedly complains about "the loving French" because, well, everything in the cockpit is in French. They eventually manage to take off the runway and I'm sure there was some slap stick dogfight as they escape.

I always thought that this was a Hot Shots movie. But last year we watched both of them and to my confusion, that scene wasn't in there. So, does anyone know where this scene is from? Is it a fever dream? I'd expect it to be another one of those spoof comedies from that era, but I've searched for hours and just can't find any movie with that sort of scene.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have a somewhat odd movie question. It's something that is stuck in a corner of my mind and although it's super unimportant, the fact that I can't find the answer is bugging me.

In the 1980s or 1990s there must have been an action comedy movie which I watched as a child. Somewhere in there is a scene where some guy is rescued from an Iraqi or Lybian prison. The protagonist and the rescued guy both climb into the cockpit of a French fighter jet, awkwardly occupying the single seat for comedic effect (I'm inclined to believe it's a Mirage, hence I'm thinking of Lybia). The Pilot guy looks around the cockpit and is trying to push button, and frustratedly complains about "the loving French" because, well, everything in the cockpit is in French. They eventually manage to take off the runway and I'm sure there was some slap stick dogfight as they escape.

I always thought that this was a Hot Shots movie. But last year we watched both of them and to my confusion, that scene wasn't in there. So, does anyone know where this scene is from? Is it a fever dream? I'd expect it to be another one of those spoof comedies from that era, but I've searched for hours and just can't find any movie with that sort of scene.

I had a question like this once, and this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910996&pagenumber=63&perpage=40 instantly delivered.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

vessbot posted:

I had a question like this once, and this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910996&pagenumber=63&perpage=40 instantly delivered.

Thanks. I took the question there.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I was at the EAA Museum a week or so ago and I thought I'd share this picture of the Christen Eagles hanging in the lobby. Love that place.

edit: I think SA ate my picture :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

Ballistic missiles continue to use INS for primary navigation even though GPS is available and more accurate and vastly cheaper, because it's assumed that in a nuclear war the satellites will all either be spoofed, jammed, or EMP'd out of existence.

INS with celestial navigation for fixes, specifically.

I wonder if there's been any hairbrained DARPA white papers on spoofing stars to confuse celestial navigation systems.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why don't we simply blow up Polaris

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coulda made a fantastic ICBM pun with that 50 odd years ago.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Dr.Smasher posted:

I was at the EAA Museum a week or so ago and I thought I'd share this picture of the Christen Eagles hanging in the lobby. Love that place.

edit: I think SA ate my picture :(

If you tried to attach it you can't do a preview anymore. Preview, attach, post.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elviscat posted:

I wonder if there's been any hairbrained DARPA white papers on spoofing stars to confuse celestial navigation systems.

Or maybe this explains Starlink :tinfoil:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_guide_star

It’s probably very possible but likely impractical for general purposes. So, perfect for a DARPA grant for feasibility.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

They move too fast so would be easily filtered. The trick would be to make your fake star look like a real star; you can probably do it with a laser guide star type setup. I’m imagining you’d probably prefer having a CVN’s deck full of lasers to keep some operating for long periods of time and in confusing enough patterns but maybe not.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 27, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Except that starlink itself is a stellar object that you could easily learn the patterns of and use for accurate positioning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Murgos posted:

Except that starlink itself is a stellar object that you could easily learn the patterns of and use for accurate positioning.

The satellites make little orbital adjustments too frequently for them to be useful for precise positioning.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Murgos posted:

That was the whole deal with the Echo series of passive communication satelloons. Big fuckin' mylar balloons orbited to passively bounce microwave off of for over-the-horizon communication. But was also planned for use as an artificial constellation for early ICBM guidance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Echo

When they flew, they were the 4th brightest objects in the night sky.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

The satellites make little orbital adjustments too frequently for them to be useful for precise positioning.

Huh, didn’t know that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Project West Ford launched millions of needles into space so that NATO could bounce radio waves off of them.

It’ll hold the record for most satellites deployed in a single launch probably for all time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elviscat posted:

I'm very confident some of it would have been workshopped at just. Disperse a lot of water to form a sea of ice crystals, or maybe some metallic bits, definitely feels like a plausible project to get funding for.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sextant port but it's for the x-ray telescope that unlocks pulsar navigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

shame on an IGA posted:

sextant port but it's for the x-ray telescope that unlocks pulsar navigation
:hmmyes: