Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

I don't think this really needed to be 36 minutes long but it made me laugh on a lazy Saturday lunchtime so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I fast forwarded a bunch.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
To be fair, it's part of smosh programming, so 90% of the appeal for most of its fans is watching those particular people do random nonsense for 36 minutes.

Its nice for a pilot episode, there are some personalities on that channel that I think would make it a lot more interesting if it gets picked up for more!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Holy crap the technical this week from GBBS was amazing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

lol that the only person who had some semblance of success didn’t actually follow the recipe

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

prayer group posted:

Couple things here man. 1: a breakfast restaurant in the middle of downtown, across the street from the aquarium, is not representative of the dining culture of the city as a whole. 2: a guy filming himself eating takeout food in his car is not the next Anthony Bourdain, what the gently caress are you talking about?! "The single most influential restaurant critic"? I feel like I'm losing my mind!

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about the Michelin Guide coming to Atlanta but that this Tiktok critic was probably going to have a larger impact for the locals especially because he was calling out the poor customer service in several restaurants. Dude is mainstream now.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I mean I’m definitely glad those poo poo places are getting blown up for poor service and whatnot but like, I live here. The Keith Lee restaurants and the Michelin restaurants are two different worlds; their clientele have basically nothing in common. It doesn’t really make sense to make a comparison of any kind, really. If the people who order brunch food and eat it out of styrofoam in their car are getting better food and service after this guy made some TikToks, that’s great, I’m glad to hear it. The Michelin review has been extremely impactful though, speaking as an employee at one of the new Bib Gourmand recipients. It’s been an insanely busy past couple weeks for us.

e: Also the idea that the TikTok thing is more impactful for “the locals” is weird to me. One of the Bib Gourmand recipients was a sandwich counter, it’s not like the Michelin stuff was all $300/person omakase.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I haven't paid much attention to chefsteps since they got bought out a few years back. It looks like their site has some interesting stuff I don't think I've seen anywhere else, and I like their youtube content. Does anyone have the studio pass to say what it's like behind the paywall?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grem posted:

Holy crap the technical this week from GBBS was amazing

Yeah, having them guess how long to bake stuff was eventually going to end up at one where everyone guessed way low and there was no time to recover.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if anyone has access to the Great Canadian Baking Show but I'm watching it concurrently with the British one and the quality of the bakes even from episodes 3-4 is outstanding. Cookie Week featured some of the best piping I've ever seen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
NZ Bake-off is lovely and chill.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Honestly I enjoyed this and wouldn't mind seeing more

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Vegetable posted:

why is that a bad thing. don’t be so judgey

he has this 'food hack' where instead of using brown sugar (because it hardens and becomes difficult to use) yhou simply pull out your food processor and blend whtie sugar wtih molasses.

when a real food hack would be teaching people an easy way to store brown sugar so that it does not go hard (or how to quickly soften it)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just came across Chris Young's channel and he doesn't put up videos often, but the ones he do put up are really solid,. Not really surprising, considering his background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZY8xbdHfWk

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

His video is why I ended up with a ninja pacojet

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

I just came across Chris Young's channel and he doesn't put up videos often, but the ones he do put up are really solid,. Not really surprising, considering his background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZY8xbdHfWk

I’ve been shallow frying my steaks to similar results with the bonus that it’s less work/mess. Maybe my edges aren’t going to be as satisfying but that’s a trade off I’m okay with

Did he… keep that sawed off pan and grill from Modernist Cuisine or did he make new ones

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching an episode of the Kitchen Nightmares reboot:

30 minutes of him going around yelling, pointing out the lack of cleaning, poo poo food, etc.
cut to commercial
2 minutes of him talking to them and introducing them to a random other reality tv chef
cut to commercial
6 minutes of "Welcome to your new restaurant we redesigned everything and here's your new menu"

It's not even pretending to be anything more than British Chef yells at people for a bit and then drops a lot of money and a business plan handed to them to ruin. Even as someone who likes trash tv, it feels particularly empty.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I mean even in the best of times — and I mean the original UK kitchen nightmares — the show was a sham. He says rustic a lot, brings in a good day of business because it’s him and then the restaurant shuts down in a few months. The premise that you can ever rescue a struggling restaurant is bogus.

basically this

https://youtu.be/i1NfWIaYed8?si=HQnYl1VCVh7_jZqI

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7304380699568557358

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:stonk:

I hope all those people are ok.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How does an oven turkey burn like that?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Vegetable posted:

How does an oven turkey burn like that?

Maybe spilling drippings onto the bottom element of an electric oven? I could see that flaring up pretty easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/clubmoss_/status/1727726830424043719?s=46

How did we ever become a country

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Not just the phone

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Vegetable posted:

I mean even in the best of times — and I mean the original UK kitchen nightmares — the show was a sham. He says rustic a lot, brings in a good day of business because it’s him and then the restaurant shuts down in a few months. The premise that you can ever rescue a struggling restaurant is bogus.

basically this

https://youtu.be/i1NfWIaYed8?si=HQnYl1VCVh7_jZqI

One of my favourite places for lunch was on what was basically Canadian kitchen nightmares (imagine basically the same thing with absolutely zero yelling and everyone is way too nice). It definitely can happen, but I agree it's a rarity.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is this the first time that the finale of GBBO is all men?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

enki42 posted:

One of my favourite places for lunch was on what was basically Canadian kitchen nightmares (imagine basically the same thing with absolutely zero yelling and everyone is way too nice). It definitely can happen, but I agree it's a rarity.

Restaurant Makeover? I knew someone who was a producer on that show and also had a coworker whose family's store was featured on it and both said that the success rate of the makeovers was pretty much zero and nearly every business tanked within months.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Restaurant Makeover? I knew someone who was a producer on that show and also had a coworker whose family's store was featured on it and both said that the success rate of the makeovers was pretty much zero and nearly every business tanked within months.

Ha, guess my place got lucky. (It's nook in Toronto if anyone was interested - unassuming little sandwich place but they make really good paninis and soup)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

smackfu posted:

Is this the first time that the finale of GBBO is all men?

I believe season 3 was the same.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

enki42 posted:

Ha, guess my place got lucky. (It's nook in Toronto if anyone was interested - unassuming little sandwich place but they make really good paninis and soup)

Oh hey, I've been there before but not for a while. My work just moved near there so I'll pop in again. Thanks for the reminder it exists!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Latest GBBO: Don’t think it’s a spoiler to say I think this is the weakest group of contestants in a while. The dude has a winning personality but no way Matty sails into the final in any other recent season. I also don’t get how badly Tasha messed up the technical. The challenge was almost downright generous, setting something that pretty much everyone should have made before with what seems like a reasonable amount of time. Her instincts really failed her this week.

I can’t believe it was only two years ago that we had an all-star semifinal list of Giuseppe, Jurgen, Chigs and Crystelle. An extremely winning group of people.

edit: added spoiler tags in case anyone hasn’t seen the earlier seasons.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 26, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

GBBO: Tasha seemed to just be really bad at cutting apples. I was impressed how well some of them did without a mandoline or anything.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My boy Dan gonna take his bottled up rage and win the whole thing!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don’t like Dan

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Dan somehow has Cop Energy, which isn't great. But he's also shown no cop-like behaviour so... I don't know.

Bummed/shocked about Tasha not making it through, I would've bet money on her vs. Matty for a spot in the final.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Latest GBBO: Don’t think it’s a spoiler to say I think this is the weakest group of contestants in a while. The dude has a winning personality but no way Matty sails into the final in any other recent season. I also don’t get how badly Tasha messed up the technical. The challenge was almost downright generous, setting something that pretty much everyone should have made before with what seems like a reasonable amount of time. Her instincts really failed her this week.

I can’t believe it was only two years ago that we had an all-star semifinal list of Giuseppe, Jurgen, Chigs and Crystelle. An extremely winning group of people.

edit: added spoiler tags in case anyone hasn’t seen the earlier seasons.

This is also one of the least interesting groups in ages on top of the overall lower level of skill/consistency. Think we're just going to see if the two bakers that are wildly inconsistent are able to have good weeks compared to the baker left standing who is above average but consistent that usually makes it to the last 6 contestants before getting cut on a week where no one makes any big mistakes and they're just out of runway.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
i am happy matty made it because he is extremely hot

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don’t like Dan

I find Dan 40% charming, 40% funny and 20% deeply upsetting which if I'm being honest is pretty much my aesthetic.

I think Matty might be one of the most improved contestants in GBBO history?

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've appreciated that this season is the first in a long time where it's felt like every contestant is 100% a "home baker." From the Stevens to the Guiseppes, the show has steadily courted contestants who have a level of polish above and beyond, whether it's instagram-worthy aesthetics or close ties to the Real Baking Industry. I'm not saying I don't like those contestants as well, but from the first episode, this season has been a breath of fresh air. Give me a tent full of Nancys, Kamals, Kimberleys, and Sakus and I'll be more than satisfied.

Additionally, it was nice to have the show pull back from every single technical being a time crunch. The one time they did that this season, the results weren't even amusingly disastrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t like the technicals which boil down to “guess the right oven time or temp” although it’s funny when they all guess wrong.