Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jtrn 1 hour ago | next [–]

I am extremely skeptical about this research. Firstly, the "plastic is bad" narrative is too easy to believe, just because plastic is ugly. It's also starting to follow the pattern I have seen in clinical psychology, where many studies find promising initial results, but no one bothers to conduct the real-life randomized controlled study that shows an actual clinical effect. And after a couple of decades of dogma, someone points out that the emperor has no clothes. Suddenly, the whole field looks silly, be it EMDR, classical psychotherapy, mindfulness therapy for severe mental illness, or the abuse craze in the 1990s.
The longer it goes without concrete and clinically significant findings, the larger I think the probability of the findings being wrong becomes. I also find it strange that so few of the studies I have read ever comment on the fact that our system might be fully capable of removing the nanoparticles by itself, just as it removes everything from dust to methylmercury. We do not know if this is the case, but the fact that nobody is addressing this further strengthens my fear that there is a lot of confirmation bias going on.
Every time I post something like this, I get a lot of angry responses, so I can try to preempt some of them by saying: I am not asserting that microplastics are safe. But the pattern of lots of pilot studies, and few studies that significantly prove the theory, is very recognizable to me.
Until someone either conducts a naturalistic experiment with lots of people exposed to large doses of microplastics and compares them to a control group, or we expose some larger animals to microplastics over a long time in a true randomized controlled study, I'm going to remain skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ono-Sendai 5 minutes ago | next [–]

While obviously a brilliant scientist, sometimes I think Einstein set physics on the wrong path for 100 or so years.
The concept of the photon seems unnecessary and confusing to people, if not just plain wrong.
Lorentz ether theory seems like a better theory (or interpretation of the empirical data at least) than special relativity.
The last major contribution of Einstein is general relativity, which I suspect is incorrect too. (Obviously I can't offer a better theory though)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hn thread: obviously I can’t offer a better theory

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lordamercy people who don't understand how science works but can't stop acting like they do get my goat

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Subjunctive posted:

hn thread: obviously I can’t offer a better theory

beat me to the punch by seconds

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tired: Complaining that string theory is "not even wrong"
Wired: complaining that quantum mechanics is "not even wrong"
Inspired: complaining that relativity is "not even wrong"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
look just because something has been confirmed in literally every experiment ever conducted to test it that doesn't mean its right or anything

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean, every scientific theory we have is definitely wrong. but all the empirical results will be captured by future theories and current theories will be expressable with the concepts of future theories, and future theories will be able to explain the successes and failures of current theories

thinking that anything we have today is right full stop is probably not a great strategy. but i mean, they're clearly closer than what we had 10/50/100/200 years ago and all that. and it's not like we're sure how are theories are wrong, if we knew that we'd change them to be right.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Internet Janitor posted:

my guess is his idea of "cramming" is to pop a bunch of adderall and then tell a personal assistant to summarize textbooks to him while he half-listens and furiously composes tweets on his phone

i think it mostly consists of surrounding himself with yes-men who will do their absolute best to convince him that the thing he just said made sense so that he thinks he understands what they're talking about

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

why all you geniuses believe in the dumbest poo poo

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38331493

the dude also appears to have some jordan peterson posts because of course

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

david-gpu 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Persuasion through status rather than argument

The elephant in the room is the widespread social acceptance of "girls only" and "women only" clubs/associations/events. To me they elicit the exact same response as "whites only" organizations would, except I've never actually seen the latter IRL.
The saddest part to me is that this form of segregation is championed by people who identify as socially progressive.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fritz posted:

david-gpu 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Persuasion through status rather than argument

The elephant in the room is the widespread social acceptance of "girls only" and "women only" clubs/associations/events. To me they elicit the exact same response as "whites only" organizations would, except I've never actually seen the latter IRL.
The saddest part to me is that this form of segregation is championed by people who identify as socially progressive.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

concordDance 6 days ago | next [–]

If it helps, he doesn't want to hurt your trans friends, it isn't a terminal value. If you could convince him that trans people and potentially-trans people will be better off with people respecting trans pronouns and teaching about transness in schools then he would change his behavior.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are they talking about Musk?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

i thought the horse obsession bit was especially funny

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
purpleblue 33 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Ahhh, so I guess this really was just a shakedown after all, like some banana republic despot. Color me stupid for thinking that the US cared about law and order and not about making money through the justice system.

guess the article US Seeks More Than $4B from Binance to End Criminal Case

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fritz posted:

Ono-Sendai 5 minutes ago | next [–]

While obviously a brilliant scientist, sometimes I think Einstein set physics on the wrong path for 100 or so years.
The concept of the photon seems unnecessary and confusing to people, if not just plain wrong.
Lorentz ether theory seems like a better theory (or interpretation of the empirical data at least) than special relativity.
The last major contribution of Einstein is general relativity, which I suspect is incorrect too. (Obviously I can't offer a better theory though)

christ hn has some dumb takes but "ether theory is better than relativity" made me have to lean back in my chair and contemplate what i'm doing with my life for a second.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

are they talking about Musk?

you know it!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Neito posted:

christ hn has some dumb takes but "ether theory is better than relativity" made me have to lean back in my chair and contemplate what i'm doing with my life for a second.

any physics topic on hn brings out the cranks but anti-relativity makes a change from the normal parade of anti-dark-matter

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Qwertycoatl posted:

any physics topic on hn brings out the cranks but anti-relativity makes a change from the normal parade of anti-dark-matter

what

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

quote:

Fundamentally ethics are a luxury. I might have some if I ever become rich and financially independent of the rest of society, but until that point I will not have any.
And even then, it comes after other needs like comfort and achieving my own goals. I won't sacrifice much of anything for ethics.

this is so on-the-nose i'm inclined to believe it might be a troll, but then again, hacker news...

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

any time there's an article on hn that mentions dark matter (or an article about cosmology at all) a load of hners come out of the woodwork to complain about it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I will pick and choose only those parts of modern physics that feel intuitive

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

thepasswordis 12 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Ilya Sutskever "at the center" of Altman firing?

This is genuinely frustrating.
IF the stories are to be believed so far, the board of OpenAI, perhaps one of the most important tech companies in the world right now, was full of people who are openly hostile to the existence of the company.
I don't want AI safety. The people talking about this stuff like it's a terminator movie are nuts.
Strongly believe that this will be a lot like facebook/oculus ousting Palmer Lucky due to his "dangerous" completely mainstream political views shared by half of the country. Palmer, of course, went on to start a company (anduril), which has a much more powerful and direct ability to enact his political will.
SamA isn't going to leave oAI and like...retire. He's the golden boy of golden boys right now. Every company with an interest in AI is I'm sure currently scrambling to figure out how to load a dump truck full of cash and H200s to bribe him to work with them.

someone should edit the opening of terminator so that a skull is reading this post until a terminator’s giant metal foot crushes it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we can make that clip with the power of AI :)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

mcbishop 50 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: OpenAI API and ChatGTP Outage

Its outage shows me how much I now rely on ChatGPT during novel programming. I've been smashing that refresh button like a lab rat with a pellet lever.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I can't tell if they're talking about using concepts new to them in code or if this is a new term for thinking up amazon book stuffing prompts

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

a simply remarkable percentage of programmers fear and hate programming, and cannot code their way out of a wet paper bag

chatgpt didn't create this phenomenon, but it sure seems to have made people more enthusiastic about outing their own inability to grasp simple concepts

matti
Mar 31, 2019

nothing wrong with fearing and hating programming, though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

important to understand the thing you fear though

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

james_david 48 minutes ago | prev [–]

The subtitle of the article is cats who fetch. I'm sorry to be a pedant, but language matters when we talk about other living beings, and I think it's important that we recognize them as such, rather than, say, a box that opens, or a Bluetooth speaker that ran out of battery.

cnity 43 minutes ago | parent | prev [–]

This isn't pedantic, it's just wrong. "Who" is for humans.

james_david 35 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

This is the point I am making. Human exceptionalism is built into our language and it is wrongheaded. Anyone who has known a cat will be aware that they are full of personality, very much unlike a box or a Bluetooth speaker.

mewse
May 2, 2006

if you eat a burger you're eating a person - you never thought about that did you???? luckily me and my giant brain are here to help you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

is altman even an engineer? if you asked me what the ceo of OpenAI did on a day-to-day basis i'd assume "schmooze, lazily tell people to work harder".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is "he's too much of a dweeb not to be an engineer?" what you're trying to say?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this is the ideal male body

you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

mystes
May 31, 2006

he needs another collar layer imo

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

james_david 48 minutes ago | prev [–]

The subtitle of the article is cats who fetch. I'm sorry to be a pedant, but language matters when we talk about other living beings, and I think it's important that we recognize them as such, rather than, say, a box that opens, or a Bluetooth speaker that ran out of battery.

cnity 43 minutes ago | parent | prev [–]

This isn't pedantic, it's just wrong. "Who" is for humans.

james_david 35 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

This is the point I am making. Human exceptionalism is built into our language and it is wrongheaded. Anyone who has known a cat will be aware that they are full of personality, very much unlike a box or a Bluetooth speaker.

as always, weirdos who have their heart in the right place are nice palate cleansers for the thread. dude just likes cats and wants them to be respected :3:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

24. Show HN: An AI-Generated Encyclopedia (mycyclopedia.co)
32 points by mahouk 7 hours ago | flag | hide | 27 comments

mahouk 4 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Update:

Sorry guys, but it seems the server has crashed due to a sudden influx of traffic, and I'm attending a funeral service at the moment so I don't have access to my laptop. Will try to get the site back up asap!

Edit:

visarga 3 hours ago | prev [–]

<rant>We need an AI-generated encyclopedia - not for us, but for AI. It should have a trillion articles covering all known entities and concepts, written using RAG over the web. Controversial topics should report the controversy or the distribution of opinions. We can put this big synthetic text corpus in the training set of future models.

Why? Because AI needs long form, in-depth texts to train on, and the web doesn't provide it in sufficient quantity and quality. We need chain-of-thought to capture relations between concepts in explicit language. Synthetic data makes it possible to have balanced coverage of topics and combinatorial coverage of skills to improve reasoning. It's also better from a copyright stand point to train models on synthetic data.</>

jfk13 2 hours ago | parent [–]

> the web doesn't provide it in sufficient quantity and quality

Do you seriously think that "an AI-generated encyclopedia" would provide a better-quality training set? What would the "AI generator's" articles be derived from?

visarga 50 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

So the way I see it, in the first stage the model can take all concepts in Wikipedia and other knowledge bases, and do web search, collect a bunch of references, study and compile a report. That's straight forward search + summarization. The advantage would be that models get to bring together information sitting in separate examples and synthesize or draw conclusions.

The second stage would be to generate research questions, then solve them with LLM+web search+code execution+other tools. The results would be compiled in reports. So it's a loop of problem generation, problem solving and validation. You can validate with highly trusted sources, or you can run code or simulations, ensemble multiple attempts, or even leave it to ranking by a preference model.

:okpos:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 24, 2023

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

visarga is one of the more deeply insane people on hacker news and that is saying something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

dear evan hansen looking motherfucker